Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/22 7:07 a.m.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/22 8:49 a.m.
Jay_W said:

In reply to Recon1342 :

That's... Impressive. 

On the coast in FL, that's going to be impact-rated glass and frame as well as the wall it's installed in. The glass is probably 9/16 laminate and the reinforced frame is probably fastened every 12 inches with 1/4" lags. It's good stuff, but it's expensive.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
10/6/22 9:10 a.m.

I'd like to know what caulk they used around the frame.  

Toyman!
10/6/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

At a guess,  BASF's NP1. It's what I use. I've cut it out 25 years after installation and it's still flexible and well stuck. 

It is not easy to work with or clean up though. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/6/22 10:58 a.m.
jmabarone said:

I'd like to know what caulk they used around the frame.  

Beavis And Butthead Laughing GIF - Beavis And Butthead Laughing - Discover  & Share GIFs

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/22 11:07 a.m.
Toyman! said:
Jay_W said:

In reply to Recon1342 :

That's... Impressive. 

On the coast in FL, that's going to be impact-rated glass and frame as well as the wall it's installed in. The glass is probably 9/16 laminate and the reinforced frame is probably fastened every 12 inches with 1/4" lags. It's good stuff, but it's expensive.

I'm gonna say less expensive than the alternative in this case.

Toyman!
10/6/22 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Not quite as cheap as moving to higher ground or away from the beach. 

I don't quite understand the urge to build 3' above sea level in a hurricane zone. Even when I owned a house 2 miles from the beach I was 25' above sea level. They always seem to be surprised when mother nature shows up and sweeps it all away. If the feds would stop subsidizing the insurance that allows the rich to build million-dollar mansions in harm's way they would probably stop building them. Maybe the homeowners like it because they get a subsidized renovation every 10 years or so.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/22 11:53 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

No argument here.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/6/22 11:56 a.m.

Make sure to get you fishing license this year, they're getting pretty sneaky.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/22 12:19 p.m.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
10/6/22 12:35 p.m.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/6/22 12:54 p.m.
Toyman! said:

I don't quite understand the urge to build 3' above sea level in a hurricane zone. Even when I owned a house 2 miles from the beach I was 25' above sea level. They always seem to be surprised when mother nature shows up and sweeps it all away. If the feds would stop subsidizing the insurance that allows the rich to build million-dollar mansions in harm's way they would probably stop building them. Maybe the homeowners like it because they get a subsidized renovation every 10 years or so.

One of my favorite restaurants in New Albany IN is on the river side of the the flood wall.  Every time I go there I wonder if they have any kind of insurance and if so what it costs.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/22 1:16 p.m.

Toyman!
10/6/22 2:01 p.m.

Toyman!
10/6/22 2:05 p.m.
APEowner said:
Toyman! said:

One of my favorite restaurants in New Albany IN is on the river side of the the flood wall.  Every time I go there I wonder if they have any kind of insurance and if so what it costs.

According to FEMA, it's less than $1000/year average and since the insurance companies won't touch it, it's underwritten by FEMA and your tax dollars. 

Meme Creator - Funny YOU CAN GET FLOOD INSURANCE! EVERYONE ...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/6/22 2:09 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In NC we just legislate those problems away.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/12/north-carolina-didnt-like-science-on-sea-levels-so-passed-a-law-against-it

This might as well be a meme.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/6/22 3:28 p.m.

May be an image of 5 people and text that says 'Alright, time finally watch those Star Wars" movies that Peter Parker kidi so obsessed with Wait..... The hell this?'

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/22 5:14 p.m.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says '12-foot Home Depot Hard Seltzer @VernorsHerzog it's only Malört if it comes from the Valort region of Chicago otherwise it's sparkling gasoline'

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
10/6/22 6:10 p.m.
Toyman! said:

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/6/22 8:09 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/6/22 8:33 p.m.

1 ... 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 ... 1582

You'll need to log in to post.