NickD PowerDork
1/24/20 11:22 a.m.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
1/24/20 11:54 a.m.

Knurled. said:
Stampie said:
Knurled. said:

MAYBE I had a great-great-(?)-great-grandcousin-thrice-removed who was a German mercenary hired by what would become the US.   

Sorry this bugged me. The Hessians were mercenaries for the British not the Americans. 

It was somebody, okay?  It was a long, long time ago, in a galaxy like 800 miles away or something.  The part of the continent where I was born and live now was colonial France at that time anyway.  Pretty sure, at least.  (I can legally become a French citizen!)   Nobody's cared about the French monarchy since the 1700s but for entirely other reasons.  Anyway, I qut smoking and putting adjectives after the nouns frightens me, so the point is moot I guess.

Somehow I recalled that the US hired German officers to train their soldiers to do the soldiery things they needed to do, and this was part of how the US almost did have an official language.  German.

I remember learning about a Baron von Somebody who helped train the Continental army at Valley Forge.

Edit: just asked my wife - Baron Fredrick Von Steuben, he was Prussian.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/24/20 11:56 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:
Knurled. said:
Stampie said:
Knurled. said:

MAYBE I had a great-great-(?)-great-grandcousin-thrice-removed who was a German mercenary hired by what would become the US.   

Sorry this bugged me. The Hessians were mercenaries for the British not the Americans. 

It was somebody, okay?  It was a long, long time ago, in a galaxy like 800 miles away or something.  The part of the continent where I was born and live now was colonial France at that time anyway.  Pretty sure, at least.  (I can legally become a French citizen!)   Nobody's cared about the French monarchy since the 1700s but for entirely other reasons.  Anyway, I qut smoking and putting adjectives after the nouns frightens me, so the point is moot I guess.

Somehow I recalled that the US hired German officers to train their soldiers to do the soldiery things they needed to do, and this was part of how the US almost did have an official language.  German.

I remember learning about a Baron von Somebody who helped train the Continental army at Valley Forge.

Steuben?

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
1/24/20 4:36 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/24/20 5:33 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Stampie said:
Knurled. said:

Well the French were on the American side if that helps. Not that they really cared about us, they mainly did it too try and berk over the British. 

johndej
johndej HalfDork
1/24/20 7:34 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/24/20 9:21 p.m.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/25/20 8:18 a.m.

Safety first. Always use an anti-fall harness

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/20 8:28 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Meh.  If the drop is too short it won't break his neck (Hangman's drops for a clean break are in the 6-9' range) and if the knot is tied securely he won't get strangled either.  It would just be very, very uncomfortable.

Since people whine about me commenting about non-meme memes in the meme thread without posting memes, I produce Xzibit A:

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/25/20 8:48 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

HaHa.  You so phunny.  That's not a Glock, it's a Beretta.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/20 9:09 a.m.
Knurled. said:

Antivaxxers know no political ideology.  You'll find them all over the political spectrum.

Would have been so much funnier without the second "political"

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/20 9:16 a.m.
914Driver said:

My Dad warned me about that.  God bless that man!

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/20 9:55 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Knurled. said:

Antivaxxers know no political ideology.  You'll find them all over the political spectrum.

Would have been so much funnier without the second "political"

Quoting this, since it's the funniest thing in this whole thread!

AT LEAST EXCEPT IS A REAL WORD

johndej
johndej HalfDork
1/25/20 1:01 p.m.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
1/25/20 6:21 p.m.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
1/25/20 6:22 p.m.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
1/25/20 6:22 p.m.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
1/25/20 6:23 p.m.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/25/20 7:24 p.m.
barefootskater said:

I like scheduling work meetings at 23:00 for people in the first three categories. 

1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 ... 1580

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wzQfbLl4yR0VhKbb64XcFXtj7V09peeI0E6Shd8KtWYkQ0vuu5rR2G0mn9QamDdT