1 ... 678 679 680 681 682 ... 1588
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/17/21 7:22 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
ProDarwin said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

He would also be in a constant state of overheating, unless his body was simply so efficient that it did not generate that much waste heat, in which case he would not need so many calories in the first place.  

Even if his body was 100% efficient and produced no waste heat, the amount of calories needed would be absolutely insane.

Isn't he solar powered?

Doesn't matter.  If his body absorbs 100% of sunlight that hits him*, that's only 1000w/sq meter in direct sunlight.  Figuring his skin is approx 1 square meter at max sun exposure, that's only about 860 kcal /hour.

*if it did, you wouldn't see him, you would just see pure black - the absence of all light.

Mr_Asa said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

Also, an alien

Physics still works the same way

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/21 7:27 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
eastsideTim said:
ProDarwin said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

He would also be in a constant state of overheating, unless his body was simply so efficient that it did not generate that much waste heat, in which case he would not need so many calories in the first place.  

Even if his body was 100% efficient and produced no waste heat, the amount of calories needed would be absolutely insane.

Isn't he solar powered?

Doesn't matter.  If his body absorbs 100% of sunlight that hits him*, that's only 1000w/sq meter in direct sunlight.  Figuring his skin is approx 1 square meter at max sun exposure, that's only about 860 kcal /hour.

*if it did, you wouldn't see him, you would just see pure black - the absence of all light.

Mr_Asa said:

Also, an alien

Respectfully, it obviously doesn't. The DC universe has magic in it.  Physics, as we know it,, doesn't account for magic.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/21 7:47 p.m.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'I'm sorry, it looks like your baggage is too heavy for the plane. You'll have to remove some items and put them into your .n, carry-on, which is going on the same plane.'

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/17/21 7:49 p.m.

You guys are arguing about the science in a super hero comic book, right?

You understand there is no scientific basis for comic book heros, right?

cool

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
9/17/21 8:02 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/21 8:05 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
eastsideTim said:
ProDarwin said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Isn't he solar powered?

Mr_Asa said:

Also, an alien

He can fly with no apparent aerodynamics or method of thrust.  He can fly so fast he goes back in time.

"A wizard did it"

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/21 8:10 p.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/17/21 8:13 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

You guys are arguing about the science in a super hero comic book, right?

You understand there is no scientific basis for comic book heros, right?

cool

I think its a fun discussion.  I'm not arguing :)

On a related note, there is some scientific basis for many heroes, which is why it drives me insane when writers don't establish baseline rules, then stick to them.  Ant-man is the worst in this regard.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/21 8:26 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

When I bought the Nolan Batman trilogy, I was incensed that it was in the superhero section.

Superhero movies imply lots of breaking laws of physics and baysplosions.  Nolanverse Batman movies, while a bit fantastical, especially with some of the gadgets, don't require hanging disbelief until dead.  The only "superpowers" that Batman or the villains have are money and charisma.

Plus, a lot/most of the stunts, even the crazy ones like FLIPPING A COMPLETE SEMI, are practical effects, not distractingly bad CGI.  (I am looking at YOU, GI Joe, with the underwater evil lair complex that was crushed by falling ice. )  I think even the crazy airplane thing from the beginning of the third movie was done practically.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
9/17/21 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Batman's superpower is also healing a broken back by hanging on a rope. The Nolan trilogy ended on a low note.  Dark Knight Rises was an overlong mess.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
9/17/21 9:17 p.m.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
9/17/21 9:27 p.m.

May be an image of text that says 'Keep Baby SAFE with a "Lull-A-Baby" "Lull-A Car Hammock Baby constantly vistble: rear view vision not impatred, SAFEST, MOST COMFORTABLE CAR BED EVER MADE FITS ANY HARDTOP CAR ONE-MINUTE INSTALLATION YOU CAN PURCHASE "LULL-A-BABY" CAR HAM- MOCK FROM YOUR LOCAL DEALER OR PURCHASE IT AT 518 Lighthouse Avenuc, Monterey, California, RETAILSFOR ONLY $ 695 Monterey Peninsula. op'

Technically not a meme but we of a certain age lived this or something similar and yet somehow survived!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/17/21 9:36 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/21 9:50 p.m.

I turned 66 this week. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/17/21 11:54 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork