1 ... 763 764 765 766 767 ... 1587
NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/30/21 12:09 p.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/21 12:50 p.m.
NickD said:

Like Chuck-E-Cheese tickets if every game was powered by a two-stroke generator out back:

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/21 1:09 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

A guy with a YouTube channel who hates all cars except for '92 Corollas.  Seems to have mass appeal to the uneducated. Claims to have been a mechanic. 

If he was actually a mechanic, he may well hate all cars except the 92 Corolla. I know I would if I had to work on the stupid things every day. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/30/21 1:34 p.m.
Toyman! said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

A guy with a YouTube channel who hates all cars except for '92 Corollas.  Seems to have mass appeal to the uneducated. Claims to have been a mechanic. 

If he was actually a mechanic, he may well hate all cars except the 92 Corolla. I know I would if I had to work on the stupid things every day. 

Very true. Never become a mechanic for a brand that you liked, because then you won't anymore. I wouldn't buy a lightbulb from GM anymore after ten years as a GM mechanic.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
11/30/21 1:58 p.m.

A Porsche mechanic blessed me with the saying "The Germans don't know how to make rubber."

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/30/21 3:22 p.m.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/30/21 3:32 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

A Porsche mechanic blessed me with the saying "The Germans don't know how to make rubber."

Many people unfamiliar with German rubber (and plastic) won't understand that.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/30/21 3:37 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/21 4:18 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
GCrites80s said:

What I want to know is how the English, living on an island where it rains all the time, managed to avoid becoming the world leader in sealing technology. They cannot keep fluids in or out of whatever they're supposed to be in or out of.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/30/21 4:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Streetwiseguy said:
GCrites80s said:

What I want to know is how the English, living on an island where it rains all the time, managed to avoid becoming the world leader in sealing technology. They cannot keep fluids in or out of whatever they're supposed to be in or out of.

Influence from the Dutch?  They may have just declared that keeping fluids in or out is a chumps game, and you just need to accommodate draining or pumping them elsewhere. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/21 4:38 p.m.
NickD said:
Toyman! said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

Very true. Never become a mechanic for a brand that you liked, because then you won't anymore. I wouldn't buy a lightbulb from GM anymore after ten years as a GM mechanic.

I bought a P2 Volvo because of how easy they are to work on and how infrequently they require such ministrations.

I would gleefully granolafy every '92 Corolla in the world.  Crappy leaky rust prone POSes.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/30/21 5:00 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Streetwiseguy said:
GCrites80s said:

How is it that Subaru, who has built a huge chunk of their reputation on how good their cars are in the winter, been unable to make a car that doesn't dissolve like Orange Tang the first time salt touches it?

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/30/21 5:38 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Streetwiseguy said:
GCrites80s said:

Four countries that hate each other, located on an island managed to take over most of the world.

Nothing makes sense.

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/30/21 5:43 p.m.
NickD said:
Keith Tanner said:
Streetwiseguy said:
GCrites80s said:

How is it that Subaru, who has built a huge chunk of their reputation on how good their cars are in the winter, been unable to make a car that doesn't dissolve like Orange Tang the first time salt touches it?

The pre-86 Subarus were goodish.  Better?  I very briefly had an '85 RX Turbo in 1998 and it was amazingly clean.  The hood had all of its edges, you probably would appreciate how amazing a thing that was.  And the body was solid even under all of the weird 80s Japanese Gundam plastic.

The '87, '88, and '89 that I bought were about what you could expect.

FWIW, Subaru got their reputation for driving on gravel/dirt roads, not really winter.  They only started making 4wd cars for a Japanese forestry service contract, and things kind of snowballed (heh) from there.

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/30/21 5:46 p.m.
ShawnG said:
Keith Tanner said:
Streetwiseguy said:
GCrites80s said:

Four countries that hate each other, located on an island managed to take over most of the world.

Nothing makes sense.

England used the other three for practice before they went out to other landmasses.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/30/21 5:48 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
ShawnG said:

In reply to barefootcougar :

He's an idiot.

Doug DeMuro isn't far behind.

I was reading a non-car-related news article and the author mentioned DeMuro's reviews in a highly flattering way.  At that point, I completely distrusted everything else the writer had to say.

I knew DeMuro pretty well (online) when he was in high school and college. We were friends, as far as 2-D friendship goes.

You just need to understand that he will say literally anything for attention and approval. However, underneath that, he's actually fairly intelligent and mildly interesting.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/30/21 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I had an '82 Subaru. It was already rusty when I bought it in 1988.

This thread needs memes... Created by a friend of mine out of frustration:

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Says idiotic, caustic things, then (usually) redacts them. Likes to work under cars without jackstands. That ought to tell you everything you need to know. The memes produced, however, are fabulous.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/30/21 6:32 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
GCrites80s said:

The snow tires on my German wife's car are made in Germany. If something happens I guess the jokes on her?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/21 6:41 p.m.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/30/21 6:53 p.m.

*Everyone else.  You guys are cool.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/30/21 6:55 p.m.

Who pitched this show to the TV executives?

It's going to be a group of funny and bumbling Nazi's running a POW Camp with a smart aleck American running shenanigans and trying to escape but never does.   You guys will love it.  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/30/21 7:00 p.m.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
11/30/21 7:42 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Streetwiseguy said:
GCrites80s said:

You know when it comes to automotive rubber we really are the the best here in the USA. Now there are some great tires that come from other countries but here's the rubber hierarchy:

GM

Ford

Toyota

Honda

Spain

Mopar

|

|

|

|

|

|