1 ... 824 825 826 827 828 ... 1584
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/19/22 4:14 p.m.

People.... pictures. 

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'The look on your face when you are trying to replace a bolt on on the back of an engine, against the firewall that you can't see where it goes and can only get your fingertips on.'

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/19/22 4:26 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Duke :

That is why Ford specified that the RS200 must use the glass from a Sierra when they contracted the design to one of the big studios.  They wanted a decent sized greenhouse because the purpose of the car was to be a good rally car, not a showstopper, and they knew that by placing that restriction they would not get some undrivable doorstop looking thing.

"Are you saying I offend you?  Because I'm feeling offended...."

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/19/22 4:41 p.m.
NickD said:
slefain said:
RevRico said:

A decade ago I sat on the grass along side the awards area of the Amelia Island Concours shooting pics for work (press pass). The dude from the Lane Motor Museum won an award for their Helico and was about to roll by. At that moment I realized what the car was, where I was sitting, and just how much danger I was in just having it roll by six feet away. I've been at the starting line of drag races, turns at road courses, but that Leyat Helico scared the crap out of me.

I was at the Lane for one of their Black Friday shindigs and they fired the Helico up inside the building, with the wheels chocked, and jazzed the throttle a few times. A terrifying machine indeed.

You wouldn't do well as a pilot.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/19/22 5:10 p.m.
RevRico said:

I don't know what all the fuss is about.  I mean, the prop has a guard on it, although it might not meet current safety standards.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/19/22 6:07 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

My brother-in-law works for National Grid and they got some sort of green initiative grant and bought an all-electric excavator. They immediately found that the battery doesn't last long enough to really do anything, so someone came up with the genius idea of "Hey, if we install a bucket that's half the size, the battery will last twice as long." Apparently it didn't click with them that, yes, it will run twice as long but it will also only do half the work, so you have to run it twice as long to do the same task and you're back to the starting issue of not a long enough run time on a charge.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/19/22 6:21 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Is 2,000KW enough to keep the excavator batteries charged?

20KW Open Diesel Generator, Tier 4 with Hatz 3H50 Engine

johndej
johndej Dork
1/19/22 6:35 p.m.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/19/22 6:43 p.m.

Saw one of these little death traps a few years at the Keeneland Concours.   No shroud around that prop!

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/19/22 7:04 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/19/22 7:05 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/19/22 7:25 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/19/22 7:25 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/19/22 7:26 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/19/22 7:26 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/19/22 7:38 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/22 8:20 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Duke :

That is why Ford specified that the RS200 must use the glass from a Sierra when they contracted the design to one of the big studios.  They wanted a decent sized greenhouse because the purpose of the car was to be a good rally car, not a showstopper, and they knew that by placing that restriction they would not get some undrivable doorstop looking thing.

"Are you saying I offend you?  Because I'm feeling offended...."

"As you post a car that one needed to be no taller than about 5'4 to drive," he grumbled..

Oh yeah, and there is the part where the doors are wide enough that you can stash your helmets in them.  Flip side is that you are literally shoulder to shoulder with your navigator and shifting requires that you be very comfortable with each other.

Note that the Stratos was mid engined, and had a shorter wheelbase than a Miata. It was *tiny*.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
1/19/22 8:28 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
"As you post a car that one needed to be no taller than about 5'4 to drive," he grumbled...

I am pretty certain that was the joke...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/19/22 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I left a job and had a coworker that I enjoyed working with and I'd call him on the phone and we'd say we should do lunch one day.  Then time would go by and I'd call and apologize for not touching base sooner.  Then I said screw it - he never calls me and why am I apologizing? 

Haven't talked to him for 20 years.  

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/19/22 8:42 p.m.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/19/22 9:07 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Duke :

I left a job and had a coworker that I enjoyed working with and I'd call him on the phone and we'd say we should do lunch one day.  Then time would go by and I'd call and apologize for not touching base sooner.  Then I said screw it - he never calls me and why am I apologizing? 

Haven't talked to him for 20 years.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/19/22 9:23 p.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/19/22 9:37 p.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:
Substitute a good cube for any ridiculous metric you've come across.  

Dress for the job you want instead of the job you have is this exact thing.

There ya go.  Only example I could come up with was the over-degreeing of America.  Not every job requires a degree, but they keep putting it on requirements.

For berkeley's sake, in the USAF past a certain rank you have to complete your CCAF Associate's Degree (which, to be fair, is just CLEPing four or five classes for most career fields, but still.)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/22 9:43 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:
Substitute a good cube for any ridiculous metric you've come across.  

Dress for the job you want instead of the job you have is this exact thing.

There ya go.  Only example I could come up with was the over-degreeing of America.  Not every job requires a degree, but they keep putting it on requirements.

For berkeley's sake, in the USAF past a certain rank you have to complete your CCAF Associate's Degree (which, to be fair, is just CLEPing four or five classes for most career fields, but still.

The point of over-degreeing isn't that they ACTUALLY want someone with a Master's in comp sci and five years' experience in software that is six months old, starting pay $10/hr to do data entry.  The point is, after they post a job opening with impossible requirements and laughable pay and shockingly enough nobody applies, they can file to hire H1Bs because there are no US citizens who can do the job.  Then they get workers who they can treat like garbage because they can't leave the company without getting deported.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/22 10:25 p.m.
Appleseed said:

My answer to the question of how much an airplane costs to own is that they cost the same amount as a daughter-- 15% more than you can afford.  

That answer also means that there's one out there for any budget!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/19/22 11:27 p.m.

1 ... 824 825 826 827 828 ... 1584

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N0DwXILzOfR5jivZ7tfR23s2dqxhyQYQ6b8NPUp3q2FSxXNv8GzqyDZQH41LgC3O