1 2 3 4
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/17 12:48 p.m.

Did not read whole thread, but I have the "nascar rain tread" in titanium.

https://www.titanium-buzz.com/goodyear-rings/

Burrito
Burrito Dork
5/30/17 12:53 p.m.

I have been wearing an unsealed carbon fiber ring that I got off etsy for the last 103 weeks. I thought for sure it would be chipped, cracked, or just all together broken by the end of the first month.

Impressively enough, two years of swinging a hammer, fabricating, and turning wrenches as a millwright/electrician and it's just dandy. I think I paid around $75-100 for it, and would pay that again without any hesitation.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/17 1:00 p.m.

One of my best buddies wears three rubber o-rings. Cheap, simple, looks cool, won't ever get crushed onto your finger.

And if you loose them, you have a whole box in the garage.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/17 1:14 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: So, umm... I havent taken my ring off in about 4 years. It now has weld spatter on it, and is kind of aggravating. (Titanium). I cant get it off. The ring or the splatter. Ideas short of amputation?
Go sit in a freezer for awhile. Has to be the whole body--get reduced blood flow to your extremeties. Then use lotion and try to pull/twist the ring until it falls off your finger. Alternatively, lose some weight.

Try taking it off after swimming for a while, that both cools you down as well as rings generally sliding off better when wet.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
5/30/17 2:50 p.m.

TL,DR.

my 2¢: Artcarved Titanium - get the comfort fit interior - radiused inner diameter avoids pinching your finger when gripping handles and the like. Titanium is nearly indestructible - not easily scratched, does not oxidize in open air, very chemically stable, and is light as can be. Mine is nearly a decade old, and really looks pretty good for its age...considerably better than the finger its on lol.

This is not my actual ring, but this is the model I wear:

floatingdoc
floatingdoc GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/30/17 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

That's why I would never wear a titanium ring... I know, not helpful.

Here's some thoughts on the subject. I'm a veterinarian, not an MD, so I'm not qualified to give medical advice.

Step one: call around and see if any of the local emergency rooms are prepared to deal with a titanium ring. Trying to remove it and getting it part way off could cut off the blood flow to the finger. Best to be ready with a plan B.

Cold water swim, or anything that substantially chills your body, decreases blood flow to the limbs. Your finger will be smaller in diameter. Also holding your hand above your head will help, to a lesser degree.

For that matter, losing ten pounds would help, but if that was easy, I would have already done it. I take mine off only to scrub for surgery, and soap and water is sufficient for lubricant. In your case, I'd recommend something like astroglide.

There is a technique for ring removal that entails passing the end of a string under the ring, toward your palm.

Next, wrap the finger with the string in the direction toward the finger tip. You then begin to slip the ring off while slowly pulling the string under the ring.

I've never seen the string technique attempted, so I have no experience with it, and my patients don't wear much jewelry.

Removal of the ring has some risks, but I think it's best to at least be able to do it on your own schedule, as opposed to an emergency situation. It's going to have to come off sooner or later.

Best of luck, plan ahead and be ready for plan B.

whenry
whenry Reader
5/31/17 1:06 p.m.

I was allergic to yellow gold so my first band was white gold. I lost some weight and one day while on a trip with first wifey, the ring slipped off my hand as I was moving it towards the windshield of her yellow miata and the ring disappeared down the defroster vent in the dash. I could never find the ring even though we took the dash almost completely apart. She got the yellow miata in the divorce.

Now with marriage #2, I went with a comfort fit sterling silver band that I got off Ebay after doing my search at local jewelry stores. I would have preferred to buy local but no one could touch the price.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
5/31/17 2:45 p.m.

Simple is masculine. Gears, Carbon fiber, cute little wrenches, other fussy bits make me think "wanker". YMMV

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
5/31/17 4:58 p.m.

Cheapest white gold ring they make.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/3/17 5:08 a.m.

Zombie thread. Spammer deleted

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
10/3/17 7:52 a.m.

I have a tungsten band that was anodized black. After 5 years most of the black is gone but its held up otherwise. Its "supposed" too shatter rather then bend into your finger!

Willis
Willis New Reader
10/3/17 8:42 a.m.

I have been married 10 years and have had 6 metal rings.  Elevator shafts, snow blowers, welding shenanigans...I'm hard on them.  My wife, as a joke after losing my 2nd ring, bought a bulk pack (4) of cheap rings to keep on hand.  Lost them all...

My last ring I have had for almost 2 years.  ...sort of...

My best friend is a plastics engineer with access to cool 3d printing machines.  He took measurements and made me a plastic ring.  Now when I lose one, I make a quick phone call.  The wife thinks I've grown out of my old habits.  ...I'm happy to let her keep believing that.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/3/17 8:45 a.m.
Willis said:

I have been married 10 years and have had 6 metal rings.  Elevator shafts, snow blowers, welding shenanigans...I'm hard on them.  My wife, as a joke after losing my 2nd ring, bought a bulk pack (4) of cheap rings to keep on hand.  Lost them all...

My last ring I have had for almost 2 years.  ...sort of...

My best friend is a plastics engineer with access to cool 3d printing machines.  He took measurements and made me a plastic ring.  Now when I lose one, I make a quick phone call.  The wife thinks I've grown out of my old habits.  ...I'm happy to let her keep believing that.

That's hilarious! And probably worthy of the minor confession thread. 

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
10/3/17 10:54 p.m.

My favorite is a simple black carved lime or soap stone ring that i get from the Indian import store downtown.  Under $5, comfortable and sharp looking. The positive and negative is that they fracture on impact. That is great in case of an accident but I have split them tapping on the roof of my car as well.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/4/17 7:01 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I have a basic titanium ring which I heated with a torch until it got a blue/purple/gold tint to the surface. When I'm working on stuff I take it off and put it on my keyring, which scratches the finish a bit but the worst that can happen is I have to sand it slightly and heat it again.

That is a cool idea. I also have a basic titanium that I wear 24/7. I am totally going to take a torch to it. 

If I ever need/want to replace my ring, I have been eyeing these ones. They look pretty cool and occassionally go on sale for a nice price. 

https://www.embr.com/

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/4/17 7:28 a.m.
failboat said:

If I ever need/want to replace my ring, I have been eyeing these ones. They look pretty cool and occassionally go on sale for a nice price. 

https://www.embr.com/

I've got a Damascus Steel ring, though mine is from a smaller artisan place- if anything ever happened to it I'd definitely consider one of theirs, the Damascus with the colored inside would be quite cool. Hope I never need to though, since mine is was completely one-of-a-kind custom job.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
10/4/17 7:50 a.m.

I have a ring from Amazon that was like $10.  I never wear it except on special occasions.  When I lose it, I'll look in my order history and get a new one.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/18 3:59 p.m.

Neither my wife nor I historically wear much in the way of jewelry, so we were surprised to find ourselves so engaged (har har) by the art history and gemology lesson we got when looking for an old ring for her. We ended up also working with the same place to do a men's band to my design (turns out there aren't really vintage men's rings; with no gems, they get melted down).

Thing is, we measured for size in July, got married in September, and we're at about three weeks since I've seen my ring, and about ready to accept that the damn thing, which rattles around when I'm cold and my fingers shrink, flew off. I semi-threw it a bunch of times while drying my hands once cooler weather set in, but I didn't think I'd manage to do so without noticing.

It's a really cool ring, and I'll probably ping the jeweler to see if they can cast another off the old pattern, but I'm also pretty much inclined to do $5 rings 'til I can get over having flung it away... I dropped back into this thread to read up on cheap options.

As an aside, we were talking to a friend, and he was talking about how the last time he and his wife went to visit family in Mexico, his mom handed him his wedding ring, which he thought he'd lost 20 years ago. "Here, you left this on a previous visit..."

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/24 5:12 p.m.

Since my first entry in this thread, I've moved to wearing a carbon fiber ring I made myself instead of titanium. I measured the ID of my previous wedding ring and ordered a 1m length of 1.5mm wall carbon fiber tube off eBay. Cut off 8mm of it, cleaned up the cut and voila.

Now I have 992mm of carbon fiber tube to play with or to make another hundred or so rings if I damage this one. It's been about 3 years, though, including working on cars, destroying stucco, mountain biking and lifting weights and it shows no discernible damage.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
1/21/24 7:24 p.m.

My daily wear is Tungsten and Carbon Fiber band however my actual wedding band was made from a Damascus steel shotgun barrel from the 1800s.  

dxman92
dxman92 SuperDork
1/21/24 10:04 p.m.

I bought a two or three pack of those fitness bands on eBay for $20. My actual wedding ring is a tungsten $20 special. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/24/24 1:57 p.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

Ditto.  My tungsten band has held up for years; it replaced a white-gold band that seemed to be a magnet for nicks, scratches and scuffs.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/24/24 2:59 p.m.

You all just jumped in that canoe and started paddling. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
1/24/24 6:52 p.m.

I have two rings I switch between depending. Tungsten and a groove ring (silicone)

The silicone is comfy, but leaves something to be desired for formal events. That said, not degloving a finger while working on a car is a plus...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sXaaKvTsnxf0IXUW4GE2XWBFpjkXniqOKQVBSwEWsJv0ery8TLNjqsE5Pj3DXngQ