FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/4/18 3:48 p.m.

So I'm currently in the dog house for chipping the coating on our metal coffee table and need some suggestions from the hive on how best to proceed. The coating was quite thick; I'd estimate 1/64". It's matte black, so I suspect it will be a bear to match. Anyone have any good ideas for a putty or something to fill the void?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/4/18 3:56 p.m.

Color it in with a sharpie and buy her flowers and cheap wine.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/18 4:08 p.m.

Probably an epoxy coating.  I doubt there’s a way to repair it without repainting the entire top.

you could probably patch it with epoxy and top coat it with matte black paint (maybe do a ghost design of your names or something fun to make up for it)

another thought would be a vinyl wrap after some JB Weld or epoxy repair.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/4/18 4:08 p.m.

Build it up w/ truck bed coating.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/7/18 12:44 p.m.

look at kitchen appliance touch up paint. it's very thick, and i think comes in black and white.  will need a few coats, and then you'll probably have to flatten it down a bit with some 2000 grit

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/8/18 12:41 a.m.

Build it up with jb or body putty, use a stiff paintbrush to give it some texture then top coat with Rust-Oleum black, or Eastwood's rust encapsultor/POR, whichever I had on hand.  Possibly painting the whole top depending on how it blends.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
8/8/18 9:21 a.m.
fasted58 said:

Build it up w/ truck bed coating.

I was just thinking that. Bondo it and respray the top with bed liner in a can....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JBUtqqTqe6QZmBpfI03NaaHtz4eAtqqWG64djw4yEQKGDXcg8wZP3c5RQGmIBRNW