1 2
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/22/15 2:57 p.m.

Well if the Imatrex doesn't work, we'll probably end up at the ER.

She just took the second dose, so we'll see what happens

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
4/22/15 2:59 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I think a bad headache for 3 days that is a new thing (usually "hours") needs some professional eyes. That is a neurological examination by a primary care provider M.D. at a minimum. I'm not going to discourage a ER trip, but a "no, doc, you need to see her TODAY" kinda thing is not out of line.

Well she elaborated to me that she had migraines like this back in college, so it's not new.

ER is not out of the question but that place should put in a turn style for her if you get my drift.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
4/22/15 3:16 p.m.

My mom had previously diagnosed migraines, she had noticed they were getting worse/longer but wrote it off. She ended up in the hospital with a Hemorrhagic stroke, it's tough taking on the expense of an ER trip but sometimes it's just E36 M3 you gotta do.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
4/22/15 3:35 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: I think a bad headache for 3 days that is a new thing (usually "hours") needs some professional eyes. That is a neurological examination by a primary care provider M.D. at a minimum. I'm not going to discourage a ER trip, but a "no, doc, you need to see her TODAY" kinda thing is not out of line.
Well she elaborated to me that she had migraines like this back in college, so it's not new. ER is not out of the question but that place should put in a turn style for her if you get my drift.

Are there any urgent care places nearby that you have trust in? Our hospital system just built a new one near our house. Its nowhere near the hospital and is for visits that aren't emergency room serious. Better than a doc in a box.

I feel your reluctance about visiting an ER. When I was having chest pains, I fought it until I couldn't stand it and went to an outlying hospital. They had me in a bed within three minutes of walking in the door (old man with chest pains will get that attention). It wasn't a heart attack, just a gall bladder acting up.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/22/15 4:52 p.m.

My wife had to go to the ER a couple of weeks ago. The pain woke her up in the middle of the night. It was severe at the top and back of her head and she was vomiting as well. Our son is a paramedic and basically sent his buddies to pick her up and take her in. The worry is that these are the same symptoms as a brain bleed. She does not have a history of migraines so it made it more of an issue. After a CT Scan and spinal tap, they concluded that it must be a migraine. Her words were it was the most severe pain she's ever had.

My point is, if it is that bad, get it checked because there are other causes, some of them fatal.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
4/22/15 7:48 p.m.

I used to get about two a month from the time I was about 10 until I was 35. They were bad and would shut me down until the next day. Doctors put me on all kinds of meds, but they did absolutely nothing. Sleep and a pitch black room was my only relief. The summer I was 35, I contracted meningitis. My best description of menengitis is a migraine that lasted for 2 months. I was in and out of the hospital, and lost 40 pounds. Now I only get a migraine one or two times a year and they are not bad at all. Most seem to happen when my neck and back are out of place, and won't go away until I get adjusted. It feels like the spinal fluid gets trapped around the brain and will not drain back Into the spine. After the right crack, I can feel and hear the fluid drain back out of my head. Instant relieve, but I am left with that foggy brain you get after a migraine for a couple of days.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/22/15 9:18 p.m.
Well she elaborated to me that she had migraines like this back in college, so it's not new. ER is not out of the question but that place should put in a turn style for her if you get my drift.

I am sorry to hear that you're back on this train....

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
4/22/15 10:07 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
I am sorry to hear that you're back on this train....

Unfortunately yes.

Well, I took her there. The Imitrex didn't work. They gave her a Reglan, Benedryl, and Morphine cocktail that knocked her out for about an hour. When she woke up, most her pain was gone.

Morbid
Morbid Reader
4/23/15 12:07 a.m.

I'm glad she's doing better

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
4/24/15 7:12 p.m.

All this talk about migraines! I took off work early to burn a pile of limbs stashed in my garden. Took few hours and got wore out. I came in for a toilet break and whipped out the old smart phone. I had the bloody visual aura that precedes my migraines. I popped some Tylenol, aspirin and antihistamine . I'm sitting here hoping the headache doesn't come.

BTW glad to hear the wife is better.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
4/24/15 7:52 p.m.

Weird! I woke up this morning with the aura. Drank my usual two cups of coffee and took an Excedrin migraine. Very manageable, just slowed me down a little.

I think we may need to delete this thread as it appears to be causing migraines!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kgX967M8mra9mMaij43PMgmuk1nOkoQ5b9fqBXtpDRFY3PMB33co8V2tVoyTeS47