http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1281659

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
11/30/09 11:10 p.m.

Umm, yeah.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
11/30/09 11:30 p.m.

I see similar at honda all the time...well 30k intervals. "You mean to say I have to get my oil changed every 3-5k miles?" Awesome!

FindlaySpeedMan
FindlaySpeedMan Reader
11/30/09 11:39 p.m.

I like when he told another poster that the reason his buddy didn't change the oil until 60K was "not important".

I translated that as, "Because my friend is astonishingly dumb."

Yeesh. That post would make me leery of buying a used BMW.

Me: Nice car, when was the last oil change?

BMWSeller: What's that?

Me: Gottagobye.

Josh
Josh Dork
12/1/09 12:31 a.m.
FindlaySpeedMan wrote: I like when he told another poster that the reason his buddy didn't change the oil until 60K was "not important". I translated that as, "Because my friend is astonishingly dumb." Yeesh. That post would make me leery of buying a used BMW.

That's an odd conclusion. There are idiots who drive all makes and models. At least this engine seems to have survived such abuse and is now running very well after having been cleaned and flushed. Obviously this situation is extreme. It annoys me a bit when folks make noise on the internets about BMW's extended service intervals, considering that they also run nearly double the oil volume of some engines, use very large, effective filters, and are filled with only synthetic oils at the factory and dealer. Given those factors, a 10k oil change interval is just fine. 60k, not so much.

FindlaySpeedMan
FindlaySpeedMan Reader
12/1/09 12:55 a.m.

Alright, fair enough, anybody could be dumb enough to let oil go that long, no reason to malign BMW, who obviously engineered well. At least Beemer owners can afford oil changes.

I guess it's the remembering-to-do them part that vexes those owners.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/1/09 1:53 a.m.

I can see the remembering bit being extremely hard, given that BMWs since the late eighties have those neat service indicator lights that go green ... green ... yellow ... red and so on. I dunno about you but I tend to have a look when I see red lights on the dashboard.

The classic one I came across was on a non-car forum where someone was ranting about how servicing a car was a massive rip-off and that a car should last forever without any attention anyway. Her point to back this up was that she'd been driving her Honda Civic for something like 60k-70k without any service or oil change "and it's still running as well as it is when I got it".

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
12/1/09 7:34 a.m.

An E46 like that one has a miles until service indication that shows on the dash display for a few seconds on startup, and that's all. Easily ignored by the ignorant.

That thread is a testament to the value of synthetic oils and the toughness of BMW inline 6s. My '99 328i was still running smoothly and powerfully at 180k miles when I sold it to upgrade to my 7.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
12/1/09 7:37 a.m.

Yeah.... I can tell you honda's don't last that long. 17k is their magic number.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/1/09 7:44 a.m.

I'm not real sure when i last changed the oil on the Celica. I think.... April? So probably 12k ago. Meh. I hope that motor blows.

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
12/1/09 8:01 a.m.

A friend of mine once said: "I dont like this car, thats why I dont put oil in it"

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
12/1/09 8:16 a.m.

oh I love how at the end of the thread some people are giving great advice "oil leaks may start to present themselves" "you really need to rebuild as smaller oil passages wont show up on the oil pressure indicator" and the OP comes back with "problem is solved get out of this thread"

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fDfNMfEOuhI1SVLcsU4ElFxEhEQ4ATOXXw5hmh15vfwIPhM4k6QmIWz2M8xjQfPp