1 ... 249 250 251 252 253 ... 441
NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/22/20 9:24 a.m.

Hall & Oates is doing a concert in my area this July. I honestly really want to go. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/22/20 9:27 a.m.

I have planned all my meetings this week around restaurants for lunch.

Today is Chinese.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/22/20 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

when I traveled a lot and found a restaurant I liked I planned my hotels near that restaurant for future travels.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/22/20 9:57 a.m.

I'm 80 pounds over the doctors weight chart.  

I wonder why I easily put on weight.  

Dusterbd13-michael
1/22/20 9:57 a.m.

I cover 7 counties. Every day. 

I most definitely have favorite restaurants in various places!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 10:01 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I've seen them several times and always enjoyed it. You should go.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/22/20 10:12 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I'm 80 pounds over the doctors weight chart.  

I wonder why I easily put on weight.  

Because food is delicious and excercise is boring.

At least that's why I put on weight.

That being said, I think most doctors set their scales 5-10 lbs heavy to scare you, and I think the 'ideal weight' charts are hopelessly optimistic.  While I cheerfully admit to being well overweight, my charted ideal weight range by height is between 130-175 lbs.  At 130 lbs I would be dangerously thin and even at 175 lbs I'd be skinny.  That being said, I'd like to be 80 lbs lighter... which would still put me 10-15 lbs over the upper range of the weight chart.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/22/20 10:58 a.m.
Wally said:

In reply to NickD :

I always worry about artists that might be getting up there in age. A few years ago, for my parent's anniversary, me and my sister's got them tickets to see Gordon Lightfoot. Apparently, he has had a stroke or two as well as some disease that took one of his lungs, leaving him a shambling, wheezing, unintelligble corpse. Now anytime someone says they went and saw an older artist and they aged terribly, I call it the "Lightfoot Effect".

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 11:19 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Some people haven't aged well, the last time I saw Kenny Rogers was terrible, but Hall and Oates seem to be aging pretty well. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/22/20 11:20 a.m.
Wally said:

In reply to NickD :

Some people haven't aged well, the last time I saw Kenny Rogers was terrible, but Hall and Oates seem to be aging pretty well. 

That's because they had their bodies completely saturated with plastic resin in the '80s.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/22/20 11:46 a.m.
Wally said:

In reply to NickD :

I'm a big fan of the old stuff.  I'm the only fan in my age bracket.  The Gambler song comes into my head a lot.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/22/20 11:53 a.m.
NickD said:
Wally said:

In reply to NickD :

I always worry about artists that might be getting up there in age. A few years ago, for my parent's anniversary, me and my sister's got them tickets to see Gordon Lightfoot. Apparently, he has had a stroke or two as well as some disease that took one of his lungs, leaving him a shambling, wheezing, unintelligble corpse. Now anytime someone says they went and saw an older artist and they aged terribly, I call it the "Lightfoot Effect".

Not always bad. Of the "old" musicians I've seen, James Taylor, Doc Watson (at 90!), Guy Clark, Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, The Rolling Stones, and I'm sure others that I'm forgetting all held up pretty well. Then some changed, but adapted extremely well (John Prine, Carol King). Others were... bad, or else not what they were - Willie Nelson just doesn't have the lung capacity or stamina left. I saw Kris Kristofferson, and I couldn't believe they let him on stage, although supposedly he's much better now since they figured out he had Lyme disease. My FIL had a similar reaction to Lightfoot that you had. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/22/20 11:54 a.m.
Wally said:

In reply to NickD :

I remember a few years ago, the local talk show was discussing Kenny Rogers and how he was retiring and the one host asked "How old is he?" to which the other replied "Well, his face is only four years old, but I think the rest of him is 77." 

imgon
imgon HalfDork
1/22/20 4:31 p.m.

Hi, my name is Chuck and I have a wheel problem. I own two cars; the bride's DD and my track car. Today the UPS guys showed up at my door with yet another set of wheels, he was not happy. The DD now has 3 sets of wheels and the RX 7 now has 7 sets. How did I end up with 10 sets of wheels for two cars? I guess its not that bad as I do plan on getting rid of one set  of the DD's and two sets of the RX 7's so I will be back to a reasonable 7 sets for two cars,  I can live with that. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/22/20 5:08 p.m.
NickD said:
Wally said:

In reply to NickD :

And this is why, as much as I want to see him when he's in town, I've found excuses not to go see Bob Dylan. 

I saw haggard back in 2012, wasn't worth the price of admission even if I can say I saw him live. My parents favorite band Little Feat could still put on a Hell of a show after 50 years of touring and 6 or so line up changes though, so I guess it's not a solid rule.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 7:22 p.m.

Every time I see the "Let's Pick a Tire" thread I sing the title like Let's Have a War by Fear. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/22/20 8:37 p.m.
mtn said:
NickD said:
Wally said:

In reply to NickD :

Not always bad. Of the "old" musicians I've seen, James Taylor, Doc Watson (at 90!), Guy Clark, Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, The Rolling Stones, and I'm sure others that I'm forgetting all held up pretty well. Then some changed, but adapted extremely well (John Prine, Carol King). Others were... bad, or else not what they were - Willie Nelson just doesn't have the lung capacity or stamina left. I saw Kris Kristofferson, and I couldn't believe they let him on stage, although supposedly he's much better now since they figured out he had Lyme disease. My FIL had a similar reaction to Lightfoot that you had. 

I know my father saw Mark Knopfler a couple years ago and said it was the best concert he's ever been to. My mother has gone and seen Barry Manilow multiple times including his last tour and says he's as good as he ever was

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/20 7:38 a.m.

I really wish this place had an ignore button

Dusterbd13-michael
1/23/20 8:14 a.m.

Im not looking forward to telling my wife i just bought another neon.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/23/20 8:19 a.m.

Was talking to a coworker about previous vehicles and I got talking about my Subaru Loyale 4WD wagon, which got me thinking how much I loved that car and would enjoy having another. But I wouldn't want to drive it in the snow, because they dissolve faster than Kool-Aid, but the best part of owning that car was plowing through 18" deep snow in the parking lot with it in 4WD.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/23/20 8:38 a.m.
NickD said:
mtn said:
NickD said:
Wally said:

In reply to NickD :

I know my father saw Mark Knopfler a couple years ago and said it was the best concert he's ever been to. My mother has gone and seen Barry Manilow multiple times including his last tour and says he's as good as he ever was

We went to see Elton John on his farewell tour last year and the Eagles the year before and both were fantastic concerts we'll never forget. We'd certainly be going to see McCartney if the tickets weren't statospherically expensive.

Contrarily, I'd always wanted to go see Meat Loaf, but after listening to some of the songs from the last album decided that it was certain to be too disappointing and opted not to.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/23/20 8:44 a.m.
RevRico said:

And this is why, as much as I want to see him when he's in town, I've found excuses not to go see Bob Dylan. 

Someone I knew went to see Bob Dylan a little while ago. They got 20 minutes in and headed for the door, and other people were leaving in droves as well.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/20 10:04 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Dang, you got to see Doc Watson!?!?  I bet that was a great show.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/23/20 10:12 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to mtn :

Dang, you got to see Doc Watson!?!?  I bet that was a great show.

I got to see him twice! Sure was a great show, both times. The first time was a slightly better performance, but the second time was the better show just because of the experience - outdoors in the mountains in North Carolina. That was less than a year before he died; he needed a little more help remembering some of the lyrics. 

Both shows, he was with David Holt. David would do a solo bit, and both times he mentioned about he and Doc being in the same club that no one wants to be a member of - that of having lost a child. Having recently joined that club as well, I have been playing a lot of Doc Watson in the past year. Glad I got to see him twice. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
1/23/20 11:29 a.m.

First class of college algebra happened on Tuesday, going tonight for the second class.

The professor doesn't do MyMathLab (thank berkeley for that) and he's making it seem like we're only going to be covering factoring and graphing...Also said we won't need a graphing calculator until the final exam in May, but will need a scientific on occasion.

If that's all this class will be, then holy E36 M3 I'll get at least a B and I'll finally have my AA in Liberal Arts. (Yeah, I know. When I was younger, the plan was to transfer to uni, so I knocked out all of my gen ed courses. Life happened and good paying jobs happened, so uni was put on a idc list.)

1 ... 249 250 251 252 253 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
piCkRag43traWEWQ9Sg0xTsnZYS6nRC4D716stTdLF88kKMhVjpYp8RDSnmyvITE