1 ... 257 258 259 260 261 ... 441
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
2/14/20 4:47 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to slowbird :

Literally the exact car I was thinking of. In reality though I'm putting the bumper back on and making a more normal looking bracket situation for the lights.

I don’t know, I’m thinking the old Audi twin pyramids of lights would look good.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/14/20 5:14 p.m.

I've been looking waaay too hard at Evo 3s. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/20 5:41 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Where can you even find one?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/14/20 9:21 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Turned 25 this year. There are a few purported to be on the ground here, but I don't know how many are legit numbers and things of that nature. I'm still a while out from the situation as it sits, but of all the ideas I've cycled through, this one stuck the hardest. Viper, Corvette, cts-v...I'm feeling like something colossally stupid. Reality is I probably won't buy anything and stick with my trash. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
2/14/20 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Evo 3 should be perfect for you. It should be as reliable as a 1G but with weird parts you'll have to overnight from Japan.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/15/20 7:52 a.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Evo 3 should be perfect for you. It should be as reliable as a 1G but with weird parts you'll have to overnight from Japan.

It's like a BMW but none of it is in English! 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/15/20 7:55 a.m.

I just sold a truck for my brother. Should probably have asked if he liked the offer. 

Knurled.
2/15/20 8:34 a.m.
Mndsm said:
Knurled. said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Turned 25 this year. There are a few purported to be on the ground here, but I don't know how many are legit numbers and things of that nature. I'm still a while out from the situation as it sits, but of all the ideas I've cycled through, this one stuck the hardest. Viper, Corvette, cts-v...I'm feeling like something colossally stupid. Reality is I probably won't buy anything and stick with my trash. 

Evo IIIs to the best of my knowledge all got balled up or scrapped a long time ago.   Subaru STis are much easier to find than Evos.  You can't even find Evo drivetraIns anymore, I'd been looking for a front drivetrain and rear halfcut for to convert a first generation Volvo S40 to Evo spec.  (Same chassis)  It's probably easier to adapt parts from a Jeep Patriot or something, they're all the same chassis more or less.

I have seen Evos in the US before they were 25 years old, I never asked questions as to how they got here or had valid registration.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/20 8:39 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I just sold a truck for my brother. Should probably have asked if he liked the offer. 

Reminds me of my buddy Jay making a lowball offer for me, to help reset the seller's idea of value.  I had offered $200, dude said no.  A week later, ad is still up.  I told Jay to offer $200, but that I was willing to go $300. Jay says $200, dude replies $300, Jay says OK without even trying $250.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/15/20 8:56 a.m.
Knurled. said:
Mndsm said:
Knurled. said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Evo IIIs to the best of my knowledge all got balled up or scrapped a long time ago.   Subaru STis are much easier to find than Evos.  You can't even find Evo drivetraIns anymore, I'd been looking for a front drivetrain and rear halfcut for to convert a first generation Volvo S40 to Evo spec.  (Same chassis)  It's probably easier to adapt parts from a Jeep Patriot or something, they're all the same chassis more or less.

I have seen Evos in the US before they were 25 years old, I never asked questions as to how they got here or had valid registration.

They're still out there. Admittedly thin on the ground, but I've found at least 3 that an importer has either sitting at a dock in Japan or on a slow boat. I was looking at one this morning and it was ready for import, and strangely was under 10k. I don't know why- I didn't email the importer, but it was there. 

Knurled.
2/15/20 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Details.  Now.  For the love of all that does not suck

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/15/20 9:13 a.m.

http://jdm-expo.com/vehicle-inventory/608-jdm-cars-lancer-evo-sale.htmli ran the VIN instead of doing my job- it checks out. Bumper is weird, but the car codes as a gsr and I'm not sure if they had a fog delete bumper for that back then. 

Knurled.
2/15/20 9:28 a.m.

That needs my name on the title and a MONSTOR sticker on the hood

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/15/20 9:40 a.m.
Knurled. said:

That needs my name on the title and a MONSTOR sticker on the hood

Deffo. I prefer the black ones, and they have a couple of those too. I'm just not excited about having to go to new york for one. I'm gonna see about getting one landed in Tampa. That's much closer. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/20 3:51 p.m.

glad to have this as the local regions rallycross venue

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/17/20 11:32 a.m.

I'm not a diesel guy, but I love the "Porkchop Express" that Roadkill built on today's episode. Said Express is an ~800hp Cummins 12-valve powered 1972 Gran Torino that Tony and Lucky built to go race Cleetus.

EDIT: It does highlight why I hate diesels though. The guys all look like coal miners while working on it. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/17/20 2:13 p.m.

My wife finally noticed the red neon this morning. 

The confession is that i had to think about messing with her about it not actually being there. 

Its Its only been parked there for a week.....

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
2/17/20 3:11 p.m.

Whenever I'm on the phone with a tech at a site, I absolutely hate hearing the sound of the electrical room.

Just hearing the electricity through the phone makes me never want to work with high voltage. Ever.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/17/20 5:00 p.m.

I found a movie called clownado. I'm inappropriately excited. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/20 9:35 p.m.

I bought a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B on a whim. There have been a few threads on these here and I get super interested for awhile and then forget about it. The recent thread here resparked my interest. I'm planning on using it for a Pi Hole build. I bought the 4gb version. Is it overkill for my application? Of course it is. But I figure I can play around with it for awhile and maybe buy a cheaper Pi 3 for Pi Hole duty.

I've fallen down the rabbit hole on stuff to build. Car radios, media servers, home monitoring systems, etc. And don't forget touch screens, cases, hats, etc.

Which means I'll be really into it and then get bored and throw it into a box like my Chromebox, Steam Link, and UMPC projects. Berk.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
2/18/20 11:37 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

That's how I've gotten with woodworking and gardening/farming.

I binge Youtube videos for days and weeks and hype myself up on it, buy all the stuff, and then quickly realize I just like watching it, not actually doing it.

Except for having a garden. I kinda wouldn't mind "free" fresh food all the time.

Knurled.
2/18/20 1:40 p.m.

I am working on the second Baja Turbo I have ever seen, and the previous one was only a couple months ago.

Both had catastrophic engine failure.  The first one was filling the oil with metal, this one is blowing all its compression out the exhaust valves on one of the cylinders.

This does not make me feel comfortable about buying an STi.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/18/20 1:44 p.m.
Knurled. said:

I am working on the second Baja Turbo I have ever seen, and the previous one was only a couple months ago.

Both had catastrophic engine failure.  The first one was filling the oil with metal, this one is blowing all its compression out the exhaust valves on one of the cylinders.

This does not make me feel comfortable about buying an STi.

Never worked on any with catastrophic engine failure, but everything else about a Subaru has made me not want to ever see another Subaru in my driveway. Too bad, because I've wheeled a handful of WRXs and STIs and they are fun to drive. 

Knurled.
2/18/20 1:51 p.m.

TIL we have a mirror attachment for the borescope.

Well heck, I knew it bad valve because of how it behaved while pressurizing the cylinder, but pictures remove all doubt when you're explaining to someone that their car is broke.

Sucks.  It's a new customer, too.  The weird thing is he said every shop he tried to go to said they don't work on Subarus.  I'm like WTF, they are the easiest vehicles to work on and the owners tend to be fiercely loyal to their cars and prefer to repair rather than cut bait.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/20 2:00 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

All the turbo Subaru people who rallycross regularly at the rallycross class last weekend were all saying they are on their 3rd/4th engine's, one is even building a h6 Impreza for the reliability vs the 2.5t. Even the 2.5 NA people were on their 2nd/3rd engines.

1 ... 257 258 259 260 261 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eaFnAQcrqdV4OBgbh4voZQ6im8LimU1ovDQLaMuHrFMv71PoPwLdevaVHtXF5qlV