1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 ... 441
NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/18/20 2:05 p.m.
MrChaos said:

In reply to Knurled. :

All the turbo Subaru people who rallycross regularly at the rallycross class last weekend were all saying they are on their 3rd/4th engine's, one is even building a h6 Impreza for the reliability vs the 2.5t. Even the 2.5 NA people were on their 2nd/3rd engines.

I recall a couple hardcore track guys I was hanging out with someone who was interested in getting into track events and had a WRX. Their advice: "Don't do it with that car. Every track event we go to, we see a WRX and say 'Well, there's our break for the day' and sure, enough, we get an hour or two break when they oil down the track. Buy an FR-S or an S2000 or a Miata. Don't use a turbo Subaru. And if you get a Miata and then want to go faster, don't turbo it, because those are the second most common oildowns. Unless that guy builds it for you because he beats the E36 M3 out of his and it shrugs it off. *points at my car*" to which I responded "Oh, I'm not turbocharged. Rotrex blower." 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 2:19 p.m.
MrChaos said:

In reply to Knurled. :

All the turbo Subaru people who rallycross regularly at the rallycross class last weekend were all saying they are on their 3rd/4th engine's, one is even building a h6 Impreza for the reliability vs the 2.5t. Even the 2.5 NA people were on their 2nd/3rd engines.

Rallycross is funny for Subarus, I have seen engines lose a half quart of oil in a run.  You HAVE to keep on top of them to prevent oil starvation, the oil likes to stay in the cylinder heads.

My friends who I have codriven with have not had engine issues but we also check the oil after every run that we have a spare moment to.

I have also seen people only realize they were two quarts low when they developed a rod knock.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/20 2:31 p.m.

There was also the one who knew his engine was hurt. Rallycrossing without an air filter isnt good for any engine apparently. He was waiting for it to actually die before replacing it, so he was still running it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
2/18/20 2:39 p.m.
NickD said:
MrChaos said:

In reply to Knurled. :

I recall a couple hardcore track guys I was hanging out with someone who was interested in getting into track events and had a WRX. Their advice: "Don't do it with that car. Every track event we go to, we see a WRX and say 'Well, there's our break for the day' and sure, enough, we get an hour or two break when they oil down the track. Buy an FR-S or an S2000 or a Miata. Don't use a turbo Subaru. And if you get a Miata and then want to go faster, don't turbo it, because those are the second most common oildowns. Unless that guy builds it for you because he beats the E36 M3 out of his and it shrugs it off. *points at my car*" to which I responded "Oh, I'm not turbocharged. Rotrex blower." 

I went with an FA20-powered WRX due to known EJ25 issues.  They have their problems, too, and a base WRX could use some reliability improvements (like better brakes, maybe a larger oil cooler) when hitting the track, but the engine seems to hold together, unless you start adding power.  Seems like the EJ engines are random.  One person could beat the hell out of their car, and it’ll be fine, and the next could treat it nicely, and maintain it perfectly, and it’ll fail.  

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 3:02 p.m.

I've done quite a few rallyX and autoX events with my turbo Subaru. It's still working, but I do check the oil all the time. I also follow a 3k oil service interval, instead of the 5k interval that the owner's manual was printed with, and that was subsequently replaced with a lower number (3750, I think). 

Using a Moroso oil pan with a baffle also apparently helps for track use.

Regarding the Bajas- did they have clogged turbo screen filters in them? Did they still have the catalyst in the up pipe? I forget which models had issues with those two things, but they are known car killers and most "average" users didn't take measures to avoid those failures.

Knurled.
2/18/20 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

190k on an Ej255 is a good life.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/18/20 4:24 p.m.

An ex just text me to say that I was right during our breakup. I'm getting a big head now. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/18/20 4:49 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Hehehehhe. You said big HEAD......

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 6:09 p.m.
Stampie said:

An ex just text me to say that I was right during our breakup. I'm getting a big head now. 

I smell a re-tap!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/18/20 10:17 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Stampie said:

I smell a re-tap!

Maybe just a thread chaser?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/19/20 5:15 a.m.

I just found an HHR SS for $5000 on a local-ish craigslist. I kinda wanna run out and buy it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/20 7:09 a.m.

When you’re behind the wheel of a kart at speed, an iPhone 11 looks surprisingly large and unavoidable. It also really upsets your balance in the turns. 

Sorry, dude.indecision

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/19/20 1:48 p.m.

Send help, I'm once again jonesing for a FWD V8 Lincoln Continental.

Knurled.
2/19/20 1:57 p.m.
slowbird said:

Send help, I'm once again jonesing for a FWD V8 Lincoln Continental.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/19/20 2:50 p.m.

While they are undoubtedly annoying, I kinda enjoy the trip down memory lane when canoes dig up ancient threads. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/20 9:08 p.m.

23andMe is Berking with my mind.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/20 10:51 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

190k on an Ej255 is a good life.

It is, yet everybody is afraid of them.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
2/21/20 3:43 p.m.
NickD said:

I just found an HHR SS for $5000 on a local-ish craigslist. I kinda wanna run out and buy it.

I was just thinking about those the other day. And turbo PT Cruisers for some reason.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
2/21/20 3:47 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

I've driven a normal PT Cruiser and dislike the chassis and seating position enough that I don't think boost would fix it. However I've never driven an HHR of any flavor so I also have a bit of a want for an SS.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/21/20 3:50 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

I've driven a normal PT Cruiser and dislike the chassis and seating position enough that I don't think boost would fix it. However I've never driven an HHR of any flavor so I also have a bit of a want for an SS.

I rode in an HHR from Rome, NY to Nashville, TN and back and found it pretty comfortable. The visibility is a little bad if you're taller, you' have to kind of lean down under the windshield header to see stoplights. But I own a Miata, I'm used to it. And 260hp and an LSD tends to forgive a lot of sins.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
2/21/20 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

I've heard nothing but good things about the turbo Cobalt, but in my mind it's still a Cobalt which is pretty bad.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
2/21/20 3:51 p.m.

Visibility out of an HHR is terrible, even for a 2000’s GM.  That said, if they’re cheap enough compared to a Cobalt SS turbo, then maybe it’s worth it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/21/20 4:08 p.m.

I'm now thinking of what you could swap the engine and trans out of an HHR/Cobalt  SS into. The less welder/big hammer make it fit the better.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
2/21/20 4:22 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I'm now thinking of what you could swap the engine and trans out of an HHR/Cobalt  SS into. The less welder/big hammer make it fit the better.

Saturn L -series?

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
2/21/20 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iA7QqVJ4CQhwjcB4AbWVuOByME4YoqMQiWqGhnDxeNIB5RDgyrzCcdE1UNjQxM5j