Knurled. said:

In reply to NickD :

Have you driven one?

I have not. Yet.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/20 7:01 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I had a customer who had one, and I used to do the twice annual snow tire install/remove beginning from 3000mi old.  (With the 19" rubberbands, and an ancient tire machine)

By 10,000mi second gear synchro was just gone.  Third not much better.

It is also an extremely wide car.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/25/20 7:43 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

So, I should bangshift the E36 M3 out of it when I test drive one to make sure the synchros are still good. Got it.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/25/20 12:25 p.m.

I just shook hands on buying 2 miatas. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/25/20 12:26 p.m.

Also, I tallied up all my Automotive parts/repair spending for 2019. Ouch.

Knurled.
2/25/20 12:43 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Complete opposite - they gritch and grind like finding Reverse on the 2-3 shift on an older VW.

Did I mention the interior designed for someone four feet tall and five feet wide?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/25/20 1:08 p.m.
RevRico said:

I'm seriously considering buying a $5k house. I'll see the inside Tuesday and make a decision.

Ok, hard pass. If the poured concrete back room wasn't crumbling, and you didn't need to cross a foot bridge to get to it, I would have. As it sits, no way to get a dumpster there.

BUT. If we buy the house across the street, which we both really like, I think I'll buy it anyway and let my chickens live there.

Still don't know why it's neighbors haven't bought it and torn it down to make their lots bigger.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/27/20 3:59 p.m.

Im having way too much fun berkeleying with the people sending me "vot for_____" texts.

Waaaay too much fun....

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/27/20 4:14 p.m.

I'm a fourth generation "Chicago area" guy and got assigned a few customers in the Chicago Stock Yard area.  

Given all my family that worked in south side companies since the 1920's I'm blown away by all the memories and fascinated as I recall stories from days ago that are in my head.  

Sadly I have little family left that can reminisce with me.  Those here on the planet earth are younger and isn't interested about any of it.  

So I got you guys......

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/20 4:42 p.m.

Last year they built a new gym about three miles from my house. I was really excited about it and signed up online for a membership in March. They opened about a month later. It costs about $23 per month. 

Today was the first time that I set foot inside and worked out. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/20 5:00 p.m.
Woody said:

Last year they built a new gym about three miles from my house. I was really excited about it and signed up online for a membership in March. They opened about a month later. It costs about $23 per month. 

A journey begins with one step.Take another one tomorrow! yes

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/20 5:01 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I'm a fourth generation "Chicago area" guy and got assigned a few customers in the Chicago Stock Yard area.  

Given all my family that worked in south side companies since the 1920's I'm blown away by all the memories and fascinated as I recall stories from days ago that are in my head.  

Sadly I have little family left that can reminisce with me.  Those here on the planet earth are younger and isn't interested about any of it.  

So I got you guys......

And then...?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/27/20 5:31 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

So I got you guys......

I'm also a 4th Generation Chicagoland guy. My great Grandpa Joe came over from Austria in the 1910's. His brother Toby came over a few years before that, Joe went to live with Toby on the South Side, I think in the Gage Park area. We don't know what happened to Toby. Just disappeared one day - this was before my Grandma was born. I need to figure out where my Joe worked. I know my great grandpa on the other side of that family was from Jefferson Park - he coached a semi-pro baseball team, was a mechanic, and designed Florscheim shoes - had to be a jack of all trades to make it through the depression. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
2/27/20 8:40 p.m.

I generally read GRM on the throne, so if I offer you back issues, you should probably politely decline.

Knurled.
2/27/20 8:42 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Do you read it or wipe with?

That brings a different level to the meaning of "back issues"

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
2/27/20 8:44 p.m.
Woody said:

Me and and a buddy were at the gym making jokes about new years resolutioners between sets last time we were at the gym...in January...2019...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/27/20 8:48 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

My great grandfather came from Czechoslovakia in the early teens (1910) and spent 40+ years as a foundry man at The Crane Company on Kedzie Avenue.  He too was a Gage Park lifer, never owned a car, and stopped for a shot and a beer after work, smoked hand rolled cigarettes, and lived to be 80 years old.  

His son (my great uncle) became a tool and die man for Wrigley gum on (35th and Ashland) and always brought me gum around Christmas time.  I drive by the old plant 2-3x a week.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/27/20 8:53 p.m.

I think 90% of the reason I purchased a truck tonight was because I missed v8 noises. Thankfully it isn't straight piped or I would of passed 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
2/27/20 8:56 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to kazoospec :

Do you read it or wipe with?

That brings a different level to the meaning of "back issues"

Just this issue:

Image result for george costanza bathroom book

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/27/20 9:14 p.m.
dropstep said:

I think 90% of the reason I purchased a truck tonight was because I missed v8 noises. Thankfully it isn't straight piped or I would of passed 

My Ram was too quiet so I did a muffler delete. Its a little on the loud side but sounds amazing at WOT and when downshifting through the gears. Gotta love the V8 burble!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/27/20 9:33 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to mtn :

My great grandfather came from Czechoslovakia in the early teens (1910) and spent 40+ years as a foundry man at The Crane Company on Kedzie Avenue.  He too was a Gage Park lifer, never owned a car, and stopped for a shot and a beer after work, smoked hand rolled cigarettes, and lived to be 80 years old.  

His son (my great uncle) became a tool and die man for Wrigley gum on (35th and Ashland) and always brought me gum around Christmas time.  I drive by the old plant 2-3x a week.

Just asked my dad. Grandpa Joe drove a delivery truck and "other jobs, who knows". He probably came over right about the same time, from Austria. He learned English by listening to the radio and picking out words in the newspaper that he recognized. They lived at 59th and Sacramento. 

My Great-Grandpa used to let my Grandpa borrow his Frazer and drive from Gladstone Park (Jeff Park) so he could date my Grandma on the south side. That was a brand new car, and today with the Kennedy and Stevenson it is a 25 minute drive best case scenario. Back then it was probably an hour each way.

Of course by that point Grandpa was 23, in college, and had already received the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart, so Great-Grandpa was just happy to have his son home.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/27/20 9:56 p.m.

If you don't use Hunnert  in place of hundred,  or Frunchroom in place of front room, I'll have a hard time believing you've lived anywhere near Chicago for very long.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/27/20 10:10 p.m.
Appleseed said:

If you don't use Hunnert  in place of hundred,  or Frunchroom in place of front room, I'll have a hard time believing you've lived anywhere near Chicago for very long.

I can turn that on thick in a heartbeat. I don't think my normal talking has one, but everyone in my moms family (from Kentucky) thinks I sound like George Wendt in the Superfans. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/27/20 10:23 p.m.

We don't think we have Chicago accents, but we do. We don't notice it because EVERYBODY  we know talks like this. It weird,  isn't it?

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
2/27/20 10:59 p.m.

Meanwhile I'm from Kentucky and was working parts in my home town and had customers frequently ask me where I was from because my southern Kentucky accent apparently isn't that thick. 

1 ... 260 261 262 263 264 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b8BQtkaIGOTyHVeF4IpgqrD6jP0ojOepETEET1SYczMGHEu3nnu8ZiUcnB1hSwDP