1 ... 338 339 340 341 342 ... 441
Honsch
Honsch New Reader
2/5/21 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Try puked-up all kinds of baby food all over you on multiple occasions.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/5/21 7:28 p.m.

I just finished watching The Revenant......I really didn't like it.

I know it had great reviews but I found it to be boring and..... corpulent.

I get that DiCaprio's acting was award winning but for most the movie I feel that they could have cast an infant and got about the same level of crawling thru the snow and blowing saliva bubbles

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/5/21 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

That was his first whatever Hollywood circle jerk award win, I think it was one of his worst movies. 

I liked the idea behind it, but couldn't handle the execution.

Photographic proof that after 25 years I can still convince my best friend to do some batE36 M3 crazy stuff. This Z car ain't moved since 91, he got it running earlier this week, and has no headlights. I talked him into taping a couple of flashlights to it for a test drive down the road past the cops house.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
2/5/21 8:11 p.m.

I think I just did the responsible thing and traded my big block f250 for a crv and cash. Not sure if I'm disappointed in me or proud 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/5/21 8:16 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I get that DiCaprio's acting was award winning but for most the movie I feel that they could have cast an infant and got about the same level of crawling thru the snow and blowing saliva bubbles

I 100% aggree. It had some pretty nature shots. But choking down a bison heart and trying not to puke sounds more like "Fear Factor" to me. I got about halfway through the movie and just thought, "I get it. His life sucks, and he's suffering. Move on."

I think 'Fury Road' and 'Arctic' both achieved everything 'The Revenant' did, and then some.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/6/21 11:14 a.m.
preach (fs) said:

I really might start hating all of the model/slot car folk here. I really want to go buy a $1400 slot car set up and a ton of cars now. I've paid much much less for real cars...

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tag/d/west-newbury-ho-commercial-slot-car/7271806062.html

Um, wow that is pricey...   

Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/7/21 12:51 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Really the actual historical story was cool enough, im familiar with it enough that the add ons were....odd.

Plus no matter how much overacting he did, I have no idea why they cast DiCaprio as a mountain man.

2/7/21 12:52 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

I 100% aggree. It had some pretty nature shots. But choking down a bison heart and trying not to puke sounds more like "Fear Factor" to me. I got about halfway through the movie and just thought, "I get it. His life sucks, and he's suffering. Move on."

I think 'Fury Road' and 'Arctic' both achieved everything 'The Revenant' did, and then some.

I really need to watch Arctic soon.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/7/21 6:50 a.m.

Only thing I know about Revenent is that Leo made a bit of a fool of himself up here when he blamed global warming for the Chinook that came through and melted his snow.

They shouldn't have filmed west of Calgary, because Chinook is an ancient native word that means roughly, "Warm wind that melts the snow around Calgary".

It read well in Hollywood, though.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/7/21 6:58 a.m.

In an effort to reduce dti for an upcoming home loan, I paid off swmbo's car yesterday. 

This means that I'm even more interested in the fact that her kid is in debt to me a couple thousand dollars. I'm gonna start repoing E36 M3 and selling it if she keeps her E36 M3 up. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/7/21 7:33 a.m.

I really need to watch Arctic soon.

If you enjoy survivor thrillers, it's very solid. It's not fast paced, and you need to make inferences about what's going on, because the real conflict is in the subtext, and the movie doesn't spoonfeed it to you. That said, it's also worlds away from being a high art film that you need to watch over and over to tease the meaning out of. At its core, it's pretty simple. It just trusts that the audience are thinking adults who are paying attention to a film that shows rather than tells. Like... if you can watch the scene in The Mandalorian where he reaches for the throttle to fly away, and the little ball is missing and he just pauses for several seconds looking at it, and you can understand what's going through his head, that's much of what is going on in this movie.

But if you can do that, it's everything Revenant was and more. Revenant just has the character surviving through his life sucking. Arctic has a dynamic protagonist who faces dillemmas that force him to make difficult decisions in no-win scenarios that cause him to change and evolve.

Mads Mickelson gives a much more subdued performance than Leo. But I found this more believable and affecting because it was believably understated.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/7/21 10:10 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Most people will have no concept of what that is.

What I remember: living in Montana as a kid, one day getting 18" of snow and the next day shoveling and playing in boots, gloves...and a t-shirt. Because Chinook.  laugh

2/7/21 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

All of that sounds good to me

2/7/21 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Last year towards the end of February it was 58 degrees......at 4 am. We hit I believe 65 during the day. 

In February

In North Idaho

That doesn't usually happen

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
2/7/21 5:48 p.m.

It's 2*F and snowing.

I'm in the backyard grilling wings and brats because I'm an idiot.

Could've ordered pizza, be sitting inside, watching the game, eating hot pizza and enjoying an ice cold beer instead of freezing my @$$ off and fantasizing about a hot cup of coffee.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/21 9:40 p.m.

I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. Apparently, after a single, well filled glass of wine, a Ferrari 348 is beginning to look like a reasonable choice for a track car.

Fortunately the one I found wasn't on eBay and didn't have a buy it now price. Time to switch to mineral water, methinks. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
2/8/21 6:11 p.m.

"I need to go out on the dirt bike so the gas doesn't go bad"

"Oh ok. Be safe."

I mean, that can happen, but my sniffer said that gas was still within date. Mostly I just wanted to go for a ride instead of folding laundry. 

Azryael
Azryael Reader
2/9/21 12:49 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. Apparently, after a single, well filled glass of wine, a Ferrari 348 is beginning to look like a reasonable choice for a track car.

Fortunately the one I found wasn't on eBay and didn't have a buy it now price. Time to switch to mineral water, methinks. 

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who will pull the trigger on a "potential" purpose after a shot of liquid courage.

Amazon loves me.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/9/21 3:32 p.m.

Why is I might not blink an eye buying an old car but spending 2/3 that on kitchen appliances wakes me up with anxiety at 3am? (double oven, cooktop, hood vent, microwave drawer)

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/21 6:28 p.m.

My mother-in-law's Swedish meatballs and noodles are of little to no use in determining if I have a COVID related loss of taste and smell. 

Ive been craving salads after work. Last night i had chick-fil-a cobb. Tonight was wendy's chicken ceasar. 

Im not sure which was better. So i think tomorrow for lunch ill cage fight those two with a zaxbys salad of some fashion. Or bbq salad from Hendrix bbq....

Is the confession that i actually love unhealthy salads? Im not sure anymore....

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/21 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I wish we had a Zaxby's up here.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/10/21 8:45 a.m.

Over the last few days I've spent like $600 on assorted LEGO- two discontinued sets (recent minifig-scale Lunar Lander, IDEAS Voltron) I've wanted for a while but was hesitant to drop the money on, and filling in some of the gaps in my collection of the older Collectible Minifigure series. The Dancer only really knows about the sets. Normally I'd feel bad about spending this much- but the sets are essentially my birthday present to myself, and the figures... given how absolutely stupid large of a tax refund we're getting and that adjusting my additional withholding down so we won't get so ridiculous of a refund next year means essentially we're bringing in an extra 15% each month, I feel a good bit less guilty. Coupled with the fact that I pretty much never say, "No," when she wants to get something (though, full disclosure, she tends to be more frugal than me and is very low-maintenance)? Not worried at all.

EDIT: Aaaaand, yesterday evening she ordered nearly $400 of shirts and sweatshirts (admittedly including 2 for me) of the new design I helped her create for her non-profit... so not feeling bad about the LEGO at all. Not to mention I'll likely be selling a bunch of older anime figures to make space in my display cases for the new sets that will heavily offset the cost of the LEGO.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/11/21 8:11 p.m.

I realized yesterday that I don't know what ABS engagement feels like because most of the cars I've driven haven't had ABS. 

Is it too obvious that I deal in E36 M3boxes and E36 M3box accessories?

1 ... 338 339 340 341 342 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7VnJOit1InEeI4czmnWT74XwvanfJYa5r1w7d1ZSsMMIKssHd3KBK7pWCqfEYEeA