1 ... 341 342 343 344 345 ... 441
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/27/21 9:40 a.m.

Cool. Event confirmed. Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

It looks like he wants to leave at 0415, which is fine.

This will be my first open track day event I have attended. I might not get to drive (that's OK) but I just want to absorb as much as possible and enjoy the experience. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself with my noobness.

I want to tell you that you are an effete, privileged whiner for thinking that it a hardship.

That's gold Pete LOL.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
2/27/21 9:10 p.m.

I have a horrible problem selling my cars not only too cheap but I'm also too honest....

Well, the track day at the FIRM was a blast. It was packed with 24 cars per group. My buddy took his '21 Civic Type R and I drove his '20 MX5 Club up there. He ran a 1:21.9 lap around the full 1.6 mile course in the CTR. He didn't run the Miata because it delevoped a clunk in the front end as we were driving it from the paddock area to the start line.

But now I have a new confession:

I'm in love with his ND2. It's the only generation of Miata I have driven or even sat in. I fit really well and it's life changing to row through the gears with the most excellent clutch and shifter.

The only issue is that he is leasing it through Mazda and they are weird about lease takeovers.

I could buy it but I'd have to sell my truck and Forte first. It's doable but inconvenient. I know I'd probably take a bath on the truck and the Forte has something up with the clutch.

It kinda throws my financial plans off track but damnit, I want it!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/21 10:30 a.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) :

I'm happy that you found the trip worthwhile!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/1/21 10:34 a.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) :

Based on what I see on this forum, you are in one of the best areas of the country to find deals on Miatas, so you may as well check out some NBs and NAs.  Would be a lot cheaper.  I own an NA8, and have had an NC, but have only sat in an ND.  Liked them all, though.

3/1/21 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Thanks. And thanks for not letting me wuss out! 

I got sunburned because I'm a pasty white idiot. On the way back, we stopped to air the tires back up at a gas station and I got stung in the nose by an shiny happy person yellowjacket. I forgot my sunglasses so the entire 2 hour drive back I was staring into the setting sun.

I was completely spent when we finally got home.

But it was totally worth it!

3/1/21 12:24 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

The local Craigslists used to be flush with decent Miatae but the days of the serviceable $2000 NAs and $3500 NBs are sadly gone. Since I would be reducing the fleet from 2 vehicles to one, I'm OK with financing a newer one.

My buddy told me he would give me a great deal since he wants out of his lease. The car just broke 2k miles (yes thats 2,000) on the drive back. It's a 2020 Club with the Recaros and Brembos. He has about $2k worth of wheels and tires on it and it would come with the stock wheels and tires as well. It has a nice rollbar on it (I forgot the brand).

I'd be saving about $160 a month in gas and insurance would be no more than an additional $75 per month. The payment would be about $50 more than I'm paying on my truck.

This needs further investigation laugh

wae
wae UberDork
3/2/21 9:19 a.m.

I work for the local phone company which puts me into the "Essential Worker" category in my state, making me eligible for phase 1C of the vaccine rollout.  Phase 1C started on March 1st, so I started trying to book an appointment about a week ago.  The sites that were updated to reflect 1C's start date didn't have any appointments at all, but the "big site" had screening questions that didn't include an option for phase 1C.  So I might have accidentally clicked on the wrong thing to get past that gatekeeper and make myself an appointment for this coming Friday.  While I might not have been eligible at the time I made the appointment, I will be eligible on Friday.  I checked again early yesterday morning and their gatekeeper question does now include "essential workers", but they have absolutely no appointments available.  I'm concerned that when I show up on Friday they're going to turn me away -- even though they gave a bunch of our shots to a bunch of Buckeyes that crossed the river because they forgot to screen for zip code in the gatekeeper questions.  The next available appointment that was out there was for the end of the month.  So I might have booked that one too as a just-in-case.  I feel kinda bad, but I've already got a reminder in my phone to cancel my second appointment and it's far enough out that some lucky son-of-a-gun will be able to snag it. 

My other confession related to that is that while I know everyone says that the best vaccine is the one you can get, I wanted to get in quickly so that I didn't get the newest one - I'd rather have the one that's already been beta tested by 30 million other people (or whatever the number is).

Aaaaand I got pre-approved by my credit union to buy my buddy's ND2 Miata. yes

Carmax will give me within $500 of the payoff amount I owe on my truck. yes

I still gotta decide on what to do with the Forte. I have a new LUK clutch kit, new clutch master and slave assemblies and new hydraulic hose for it but I may farm out the clutch replacement. enlightened

This haphazard idea might just work out surprise

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/21 12:19 p.m.

Tomorrow is the last day before I take a week long chill vacation.  I'm thinking about calling out tomorrow to start it early.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/21 7:19 p.m.

I didn't call out but I berkeleying should have.  I swear they tried to kill my old ass today.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
3/7/21 7:55 p.m.

The deal sending my truck to a new home and me getting a crv as a partial trade happened today.

the confession is I was actually happy. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/8/21 3:56 p.m.

I just found some Christmas cookies in a container in the back of the pantry. If they were an 8/10 the day after they were made, they're a 7/10 today. I'll finish them.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/8/21 4:57 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

No mold, bad smell,  not a science project? Hammer them cookies.  You've eaten worse. 

I've eaten worse.  Much worse.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/21 4:58 p.m.

With a chisel.  Cookies this old tend to be rather dessicated.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
3/8/21 10:20 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

With a chisel.  Cookies this old tend to be rather dessicated.

Shockingly, they were not rock hard. Definitely slightly stale, but not crumbling or breaking teeth. I'm guessing because of how they were stored - in a container then double bagged - my wife had intended to send them to my brother and sister in law - and the fact that they were slightly undercooked sugar cookies. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
3/8/21 10:26 p.m.
Appleseed said:

No mold, bad smell,  not a science project? Hammer them cookies.  You've eaten worse. 

I've eaten worse.  Much worse.

I've never been outright poor, but I have been through college without student loans and I have had hard times that made me extremely cash poor. My level of "it's still good," while not as extreme as they were in college, still make my wife shake her head. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/8/21 11:42 p.m.

For some of us, it never leaves. Stale cookies? Milk. End of story. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
3/9/21 6:25 p.m.

Via a conversation between my wife and mother, I just found out that my sister gave my very straight laced, 83 year old, Southern Baptist mother some CBD cream for her back.

Until said conversation between my wife and my mother, Mom had no idea that CBD comes from cannabis.

I may have to have some fun with this!

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/9/21 6:50 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

Did it work for her?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/9/21 7:56 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

She's probably a King James lady.  Share this verse.  

mtn (Forum Supporter)
3/10/21 8:58 a.m.

Thought we had a dreams thread, but couldn't find it. 

Last night, I had a dream that I was sitting at a table with an Irishman (it was actually Archibald Ives from The Great Escape, but with an Irish Brogue instead of Scottish) and the proprieter of a Bagel shop I used to go to in Chicago. The two of them were arguing extremely animatedly about the correct way to cook and eat corned beef. Sitting in front of me to my right was a Rueban with some Matzoh ball soup; to my left was a plate of thick sliced corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes. 

I didn't eat any of it, and I'm extremely disappointed in that. If they were in front of me right now I'd eat all of it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/10/21 9:03 a.m.

Bastard.  Now I want corned beef.  Actually,  not true. I have always wanted corned beef  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/10/21 9:30 a.m.

Part of me wants to yank the supercharged 1.8L out of the Miata and drop in a Honda J-series V6 simply because there is a kit to put a Holley Hi-Ram plenum on a Honda J-series, and I think that'd look berkeleying sick in my car.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/10/21 11:17 a.m.

I am apparently so socially awkward I can't even do human interaction in a dream. I dreamed last night that I saw a guy with a super sweet beard. I thought he'd noticed mine and was making conversation, so I walked up to talk. We were waiting in some line somewhere. Get up to him, talking, realize hes been on his airpods the entire time talking to someone else. I was completely embarrassed, and I was asleep. 

1 ... 341 342 343 344 345 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WrrR4XoS56PfZuaLHGGI2qvFzyWpsVvGvC1CsumZSR1iMxhN1bauhAnJ3ogPUMmM