1 ... 345 346 347 348 349 ... 367
Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/6/21 9:05 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

I have a 19-year-old cat like that.

She's deaf as a post but still has sharp eyes.  She's weaker but can still jump on the counter or bed.  She's always been skinny but now she's even skinnier.  She doesn't eat well but she's always hungry or something because any time she's fully awake she's screaming at you from 3 feet away to either feed her or hold her on your lap.  She's horrible to have around because of her constant demand for undivided attention.  She's relentless and sometimes you literally can't think about anything except getting her to shut up.

But she still purrs when you pet her.  I won't do anything to hasten her demise - and in fact we go to some expense and length to prolong her comfortable life - but I really wish one morning she just would not wake up.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/21 9:55 a.m.
Duke said:

But she still purrs when you pet her.  I won't do anything to hasten her demise - and in fact we go to some expense and length to prolong her comfortable life - but I really wish one morning she just would not wake up.

Exactly. 

We've had to put dogs down when they couldn't control their bowels anymore, or when they couldn't walk, or when they had cancer. We've waited too long to do it, too. We've wondered if we did it too soon, though in my heart I know we did not - we just miss our friend. Part of me thinks it is cowardice to want him to not wake up, but the truth is that putting logic and reason into something that is purely emotional is just not something that anybody wants to do, and I am allowed to want the easy way out. We just have to be prepared to not see it.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
4/7/21 7:16 a.m.

My cat passed away back in December. I knew he wasn't doing well, but his decline happened so rapidly, and trips to the vet stressed him out, so I figured it would be much more peaceful for him to go at home than to go anywhere.

One night I knew he wasn't going to be around much longer, so I had him in my office with me, on my couch, bundled up with his favorite toy while I played softly on my guitar. Before I knew it, he was gone. He pretty much waited all day for me to get home from work, and just wanted me near him. Miss that cat. He would have been 18 this year, and with how nimble and active he remained up until about a week before he died, I thought for sure he'd break 20 easily.

He came as a package deal with my lab that I lost back in 2017 at the age of 14, and I miss that dog so very much, so my cat was one of a few tangible reminders left since they were joined at the hip all throughout their lives.

I don't think it was coincidence that earlier that year in 2017 that someone brought in a 3-4 week old pup that was left at their doorstep, and I said I'd take her. She's been a handful (a cairn terrier, but I say she's a "terrorist"), but she's made the loss of both of my longtime companions a bit easier. She'll never replace them, but she's not meant to.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/8/21 8:46 a.m.
Azryael
Azryael Reader
4/8/21 9:14 a.m.

My confession for the day is that I want another E34.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
4/8/21 9:36 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
newrider3 said:

I just used 12 year old single malt to make a hot toddy; please forgive me for I have sinned.

Which one? This is important

Jura 12 - wife says it was on sale so I don't feel too bad. It's got some sweetness from the sherry cask finish along with some smoke that actually stand out in a hot toddy and make it worthwhile. Made another this past weekend with earl grey and it had an interesting wood-y character, except on the nose it reminded me of the OSB smell in a partially framed house haha

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/8/21 2:18 p.m.
newrider3 said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
newrider3 said:

I just used 12 year old single malt to make a hot toddy; please forgive me for I have sinned.

Which one? This is important

Jura 12 - wife says it was on sale so I don't feel too bad. It's got some sweetness from the sherry cask finish along with some smoke that actually stand out in a hot toddy and make it worthwhile. Made another this past weekend with earl grey and it had an interesting wood-y character, except on the nose it reminded me of the OSB smell in a partially framed house haha

That's like $40-ish whisky. Not a waste. I keep Speyburn 10 pretty much solely for mixing. It's a $30 single malt.

There's not magical about single malt. It just means that all the grain used is malted barley, and that it came from a single distillery.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
4/8/21 2:24 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

Dude that was great

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/9/21 7:57 a.m.

I have owned and operated microwave ovens since the early 80's, and when I read instructions that say to microwave on medium power for 16 minutes, I take a guess as to how long to heat it at max power, because I have never managed to figure out how to turn the power down on any of my microwaves.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/9/21 8:04 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

There is usually a "Power Level" or "Cooking Power" button right on the front panel.  Usually after entering time you press that button, then press the single digit that corresponds to the 10% increment of output you want.  IE press 7 for 70%, then press start.

But do carry on if you prefer.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/9/21 8:24 a.m.

I have strong sentimental feelings towards New Edge ('99-'04) Mustang GTs due to a buddy's in college. Sometimes I think about buying one, leaving the drivetrain stock (because the 4.6L 2V is garbo) and installing a Maximum Motorsports Grip Box with 275-width square 200tws

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/9/21 8:28 a.m.

So far I am alone in the office today.  I'm sitting here at my desk praying to Bob that no one else comes in.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/9/21 9:25 a.m.
Duke said:

There is usually a "Power Level" or "Cooking Power" button right on the front panel.  Usually after entering time you press that button, then press the single digit that corresponds to the 10% increment of output you want.  IE press 7 for 70%, then press start.

I have all those buttons.  I've attempted to use those buttons for about 35 years.  If I go to the internet and print the instructions, I can turn the power down about half the time.

Why isn't there a knob to twist from high to low?  The whole "scroll:select" thing doesn't work well for me.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/9/21 9:27 a.m.
NickD said:

I have strong sentimental feelings towards New Edge ('99-'04) Mustang GTs due to a buddy's in college. Sometimes I think about buying one, leaving the drivetrain stock (because the 4.6L 2V is garbo) and installing a Maximum Motorsports Grip Box with 275-width square 200tws

I saw a really clean early one of those the other day, without the weird wheel well flat flare thing, and the growl of a proper "one cam only" 5.0 coming out the pipes.  I like them.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/9/21 9:31 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
NickD said:

I saw a really clean early one of those the other day, without the weird wheel well flat flare thing, and the growl of a proper "one cam only" 5.0 coming out the pipes.  I like them.

His was a Highland Green with a tan leather interior, the Performance Improved 4.6 2V with an auto, cold-air intake, upgraded throttle body, X-pipe with Flowmasters and Saleen S281 replica wheels. It wasn't crazy fast but it was punchy enough to be fun on the streets, sounded amazing and did excellent burnouts.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/9/21 9:34 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Duke said:

I have all those buttons.  I've attempted to use those buttons for about 35 years.  If I go to the internet and print the instructions, I can turn the power down about half the time.

Why isn't there a knob to twist from high to low?  The whole "scroll:select" thing doesn't work well for me.

None of the microwaves I've ever used required scrolling of any kind.  Type in the time, type in the % number, and press start.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
4/9/21 10:17 p.m.
Duke said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Duke said:

None of the microwaves I've ever used required scrolling of any kind.  Type in the time, type in the % number, and press start.

On my Panasonic, you push the power button first moving down from 100% in 10% increments till you get the power setting you want then set the time to cook then the start button. Admittedly it took me a while to learn the procedure.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/9/21 10:47 p.m.

They could have a knob to turn that changes the power level....

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/9/21 10:55 p.m.

I'm usually a #2 buzzcut guy but because covie I have Edd China-like hair now... and I likes it. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/21 6:41 a.m.

I've informed my wife that I am willing to leave her for The Queen if necessary, although I refuse to sign a pre-nup.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/10/21 8:20 a.m.
NickD said:
Streetwiseguy said:
NickD said:

His was a Highland Green with a tan leather interior, the Performance Improved 4.6 2V with an auto, cold-air intake, upgraded throttle body, X-pipe with Flowmasters and Saleen S281 replica wheels. It wasn't crazy fast but it was punchy enough to be fun on the streets, sounded amazing and did excellent burnouts.

The most impressive Mustang that I ever experienced was a 4.0l I-forget-what.  The poor guy had installed a cold air intake that relocated the MAF sensor element into a larger tube, and despite everything that the advertising said that it needed no tune, fuel trims were sky high because it had the MAF element in a larger tube.  Enter Pete with HPT to fix the MAF transfer table and a few other things.

It's not that it had outstanding acceleration.  I've driven/rode in cars with over 1000hp, I've experienced enough rolling burnouts at triple digit speeds to have a calibrated stop on my "yeah, that's enough" gauge, and the 4.0 registered solidly in the "it's pretty good" range.   But.  The thing actually handled really well for a car that large.  I can't SAY that I accidentally got sideways on an on-ramp and was able to effortlessly control it and power through like it looked like I knew what I was doing, because I don't know what the statute of limitations is on that sort of thing.

Now if only Ford had made something like that one frame size smaller...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/10/21 9:37 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I have owned and operated microwave ovens since the early 80's, and when I read instructions that say to microwave on medium power for 16 minutes, I take a guess as to how long to heat it at max power, because I have never managed to figure out how to turn the power down on any of my microwaves.

Less than 100% power cycle is just duty cycling the magnetron.  So if it's 10 minutes at 50%, you could just heat it at full power five times for one minute each, with rests in between to allow heat conduction to work, and you'll be doing the same thing.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/11/21 9:37 a.m.

I'm embarrassed to admit how excited I am for the Black Widow movie.   I really don't care much about movies anymore...

StilettoSS
StilettoSS New Reader
4/11/21 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

It's called being a jackass ;)

StilettoSS
StilettoSS New Reader
4/11/21 10:48 a.m.

It's totally ok and normal. My italian greyhound is now 17, average life span of 13-15. Most days she is still great, goofy and happy, but she has slow days and days when it's hard to get her to eat and she can't jump on the couch. Now, they diagnosed her with leukemia. I'm definitely sad, but sometimes I feel the same way.  I just try to count every good day as a win at this point, and love on her as much as I can. I am prepared to make the hard decision if I have to, but so far no need thank goodness. I hope she falls asleep someday and doesn't wake up.

1 ... 345 346 347 348 349 ... 367
Our Preferred Partners
HrZswnuzflt2DhA7JbGnHKo2Ai4G3S9K5Z22rppqWRXr5vplwb3a3oR3lQFzLzuj