1 ... 347 348 349 350 351 ... 441
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/21 7:23 p.m.

Some days at work, I sit in my office and think, "Damn...I'm just one good Facebook post away from retirement."

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/18/21 7:55 p.m.

So my EUI (eBay while Under the Influence) purchase showed up. The box was nearly the size of my dishwasher (only $15 shipping from NY to FL!).

Now what to do with this? Maybe it could be a cool lamp?! It had an electronic 150w ballast for an HPS bulb that I removed and wired the socket directly to the terminal block. I disconnected the photoelectric sensor but didn't remove it in case I want to use that function later.

Next I bought a mogul/E39 to E26 socket convertor and screwed it into the socket. It was easier than rewiring an E26 socket in. I had a 60w LED Edison bulb that is a nice warm 2000K color temperature that I have in another lamp in the bedroom.

I used a 3 prong cord from a defunct Verizon Fios transceiver box in the garage to supply power. I have a 12ft cord with switch coming on Wednesday but the current cord will work for now.

The result?

It looks pretty damn realistic if you ask me. Now I just have to figure out how to mount it. I'd like to make a floor lamp out of it.

Best medication-induced purchase ever!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/18/21 8:21 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

While I desperately hate the phrase man-cave, that was a glorious purchase for one of those.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/18/21 9:03 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I agree; I hate that phrase as well.

I have an affinity for automobilia. That's how I ended up with a full size stop light, a BMW M54 engine block and a Mazda 13B rotor and housing. All of them are projects. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/20/21 6:58 a.m.

We've been talking about finding a list of people worth more than $100M and inviting as many as we can to our wedding. Figure their assistants might just buy some expensive E36 M3 from our registry without a second thought.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/20/21 10:27 a.m.

Norfolk & Western #611 is coming north to be on loan to Strasburg Railroad for the summer and they are selling tickets to either engineer or fire the engine. It's $611 for 30-45 minutes, but also, when am I gonna get the chance to operate the "Queen of Steam". Strongly, strongly considering it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/20/21 10:38 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Do it. For $745, I had the chance to fly the EAA's B-17 Aluminum Overcast for 30 minutes back in the 90s. Then some turd complained that that made it for hire and not non-profit.  Now you can only ride in her. 

You'll regret it if you don't.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/20/21 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yeah. And #611 is like the equivalent of a Stradivarius violin or a Ferrari 250 GTO. There aren't many, and they are so highly regarded for reason

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/20/21 1:14 p.m.
RevRico said:

We've been talking about finding a list of people worth more than $100M and inviting as many as we can to our wedding. Figure their assistants might just buy some expensive E36 M3 from our registry without a second thought.

And there is a 50/50 chance that Elon will show up for the ceremony "just because".

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/21 1:19 p.m.

I think Lil Stampie is hoping he'll get my Miata when he turns 16. Saturday he washed it all on his own. Yesterday he changed the oil. I think I'll let him continue to do stuff like that because to be honest he's done more to it than I have lately. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/20/21 2:30 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:
RevRico said:

And there is a 50/50 chance that Elon will show up for the ceremony "just because".

I am perfectly ok with that. I'm never going to get to  be a Bond villain, but hanging out with one could be fun.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/21 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Mary's truck sees more attention from her than me....

Stampie
4/20/21 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah but that's my Miata not his.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/21 3:14 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Was. Just like it was my stepside. 

Were getting old when our kids start claiming our cars, aren't we?

Stampie
4/20/21 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I don't think I'll give it up without a fight.  I'll have to tap into that old man strength to win.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
4/21/21 11:17 a.m.

Shipping/receiving signed for no less than $65k worth of engines and transmissions, sat on them for 3 days, then shipped them off as cores. Without paperwork. Not my problem. The confession part: kind of refreshing to see that group get busted after all the bs I see going on back there. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/21 4:24 p.m.

I just passed a Baja Boot on my way home.  Where can I sell some organs I'm not using?  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/21/21 5:44 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I just passed a Baja Boot on my way home.  Where can I sell some organs I'm not using?  

I know a place. I just returned from selling one to buy my way into the hot seat on #611

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
4/21/21 6:21 p.m.

There's a part of me that wants to sell everything and move the family to a different country to get away from the toxicity of our country 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/21/21 6:25 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

Don't for a minute think it is radically different in some other country, no matter what our media would love to have you believe.

People are people all over the world, for better and worse.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/21/21 6:57 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

Their E36 M3 will just be different E36 M3. And everybody poops.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/21 8:29 p.m.

I like listening to Raggae music, but it's hard to fight the urge to correct all the grammar.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
4/21/21 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Oh I know for most part, although the thought of living on an island broke with a view doesn't sound half bad. I'm a statistic kinda guy, but for some reason 99% of people ignore the facts.
As a middle aged white male I'm getting worried we're heading down a path that's going to lead to more heavily governed society to "fix" issues which is going to divide us all further and create more issues. 
As a once wise Obi Wan said I sense a disturbance in the force, question is how long til there is a balance...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/21/21 9:41 p.m.

My s-in-law believes all the conspiracy stories and told us some big event is happening this coming Sunday. 

I usually say she's nuts but way back in the day she taped a dime over her laptop camera cause the government was watching her.  Then I watched the Snowden documentary last winter and wondered how she knew.   

So I confess a super small part of me wonders........oooooooohhh, get ready.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/21/21 11:26 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

My s-in-law believes all the conspiracy stories and told us some big event is happening this coming Sunday. 

I usually say she's nuts but way back in the day she taped a dime over her laptop camera cause the government was watching her.  Then I watched the Snowden documentary last winter and wondered how she knew.   

So I confess a super small part of me wonders........oooooooohhh, get ready.  

I have a a customer that completely believed that Jesus was coming on Jan 17 (or so) to make sure Donnie stayed president.

1 ... 347 348 349 350 351 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o4YenNL834iB6K2ouvmbu7ficYvIfFz75PbUeTXmYuIsQ5R6PAMDnNiiJWnkppum