1 ... 349 350 351 352 353 ... 441
Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/25/21 5:09 p.m.

I have now joined a group that includes clowns, magicians and pony wranglers by delivering an acquaintance's  7 year old to his birthday party at the local activity center/skating rink in the i8.

He had requested a ride in a Lamborghini, so I substituted as at least something with novel doors.  It seemed to work for him.

Along the way, he told me about his dad flipping the ATV, so I'm very well informed.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/25/21 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

"That can't  be no combat man. Hes lookin fer a fight"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/26/21 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Willy and Joe FTW.  My school library had a big book of Mauldin's collected drawings, with some narrative included.  I must have read that 10 times between 6th and 8th grades.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/21 11:43 a.m.

Spent a decent amount of time in a C5 the other day.

I thought they were awesome, when they were new, because my prior Corvette experience had been with C4s and C3s.

Driving it with older eyes, my first thought was how large the car was, compared to my midsize sedan daily driver.

How disconnected the steering feels, compared to " "

How crappy and squeaky-hard the interior is, " " "

Accelerating up the road, how much casual low end torque the engine doesn't have, how hard it is to point and squirt in traffic, compared to the 2.4l engine (less than half the size!) in my heavier daily driver.

C5: crossed off the list of dream cars.

Also, growing to appreciate more and more just how right a decision I made in 2017 to buy teh R, and how much worth it it has been to stick with the program through the various bouts of wallet-hemorrhaging repairs.  Like the reason it has a 2.4l engine, and not a 2.5l...

Before anyone says "but, used car":  The C5 was, admittedly, a 2001, with 50k miles.  Teh R is a 2006 with 250k miles.  It's five times more used and feels waaaay better.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/1/21 11:18 p.m.

We watched John Carter, 2nd time for me.

I really don't think this is a terrible movie, not great but by no means horrible.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/2/21 4:08 p.m.

Last night I celebrated my 40th birthday by....

going to bed at 9pm and getting up at 6am today.

I power washed the driveway and then cut down a nuisance tree on the side of the house.

Much exciting, such wow.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
5/2/21 5:41 p.m.

I like the looks of the Prius c. There. I said it. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/21 5:59 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Don't tell anyone but I agree with you.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/2/21 8:41 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Woof.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/2/21 9:02 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

I like the looks of the Prius c. There. I said it. 

I was told that I'd find the Prius C experience spiteful because they are useless over 80mph.

I'm like, when do I ever drive over 80.  That's get out of the car, put your hands behind your back territory.

I'm also over 40.

Which means I kind of prefer the CT200h anyway.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/21 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

My mom is 70.  She owns a CT200h.  Don't tell her but Lil Stampie and I think it's cool.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/2/21 9:30 p.m.
Stampie said:

My mom is 70.  She owns a CT200h.  Don't tell her but Lil Stampie and I think it's cool.

My lips are sealed smiley

The only real problem with hybrids in general and Priuses in particular is, I've driven Teslas.  I've driven Teslas at 2/1oths and been all "Woah".  Probably would suffer permanent psychosis if I experienced one at 10/10ths.  I get in a hybrid, especially a Prius, and I'm all "WTF?"

You have a gas engine AND an electric motor, you are literally a twin motor vehicle, why you no fast?

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/2/21 9:36 p.m.

I realize my prior two posts may seem contradictory,  but they aren't.

I'm not interesting in driving FAST.

I am, however, interested in accelerating.

Plus, being able to accelerate means you don't have to drive as fast to make up for it.

My goal with the Quantum, which is probably never going to be attained, is that I'd like to be able to accelerate from 60mph to 120mph in two seconds in top gear.  (That's 3000 to 6000rpm, it's geared short)  That seems kind of ambitious, but two seconds is a long time when you're trying to pass someone.

I figure back of envelope math that suggests I'd need 750hp, which is doable,  but not with the cylinder head I have.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
5/3/21 12:20 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I am, however, interested in accelerating.

Reminds me of a fun Prius story.

Years ago one winter we got several inches of snow followed by sub-zero temps, and one of our co-workers- a Africans woman from Tongo- had to stop and "park" in a lot at a nearby church from the hospital because her 2nd gen prius couldn't make it. No matter how long she'd been in the US, I learned Afrikans CANNOT deal with snow; my bud and a few others went out to try and get it unstuck and into the hospital lot.

Holy E36 M3. Her tires were bald- god knows how she got there- and I've never hit a gas pedal and had a car just refuse to move. No acceleration, no noise or feel; like everything in the Prius is built specifically to be as muted as possible. I back it out of the lot after revving it up to get it over a small snow bump and discover the belly pan is super low. My brother is just cheering me on, telling me in his french accent that it's a Toyota and it'll be fine as I take it around the hill to try and get it into the lot.

And then I got stuck. The prius refuses to accelerate and it found a snow berm more than 3 inches tall right on a major street, and like a silver beached whale got itself high centered in the saddest way. Thank god a surprised mexican family was behind me to push the Prius with their truck out of the berm- the rest of the 0.5 miles was spent pedal to the floor to keep it from getting moored again, and it did nearly twice.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/3/21 5:34 a.m.

I think I've said this here before, but I really want to replace the Konig Dial-Ins on my Miata. They aren't cracked or bent or out-of-round or badly scratched or chipped or curb-rashed. I don't hate how they look, they just don't excite me either. But because there is nothing actually wrong with them, my practical side refuses to buy new wheels. 

In reply to NickD :

Size and offset? May be interested....

Obligatory confession:

I was second in class yesterday,  not DFL like normal! Only had one run that wasn't dnf, which was good enough to beat third place whose runs were ALL dnf. But his dnfs were five seconds faster than my best run, also a dnf. Im still kinda proud of not being dfl in class, but not as proud as if id earned it by being legitimately faster.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/3/21 8:41 a.m.
NickD said:

I think I've said this here before, but I really want to replace the Konig Dial-Ins on my Miata. They aren't cracked or bent or out-of-round or badly scratched or chipped or curb-rashed. I don't hate how they look, they just don't excite me either. But because there is nothing actually wrong with them, my practical side refuses to buy new wheels. 

And I think I've agreed with you before about mine.

Dial-ins look better in pictures and worse in real life.  Advanti Storms look worse in pictures and better in real life.

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/3/21 10:17 a.m.
Stampie said:

The ct200h is cool. I'll say it. 

I realize a may have to turn in my card soon. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/21 10:44 a.m.

The only Corvettes I've driven that I'd own are Big Block C3s, strictly on nostalgia value and C8s because it was so different from anything else I'd driven. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/3/21 10:53 a.m.

One of the reasons my Buick is pretty much the perfect car is that even though it's red it's nearly invisible and I can commute to work at ludicrous speed completely unnoticed. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/3/21 11:05 a.m.

Steve Earle and pretty much everyone else are wrong.  The Highwaymen is not a great song.  It's only a good song because the four of them could make any song good. It's  a collection of workplace fatalities. Kris Kristofferson falls off a berkeleying boat and Waylon is poured into a dam.  These men are not charismatic hero's, they're clumsy.  

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/3/21 11:14 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Careful Wally, some folks would consider those "fightin words"

id agree with you though. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/3/21 11:22 a.m.

I prefer the Highwomen remake: 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/3/21 11:23 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

It's a hill I'm happy to die on

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/3/21 11:31 a.m.

The Highwaymen were a massive disappointment. Desperados Waiting For a Train? It is at best, the 4th best version of the song. Not half as good as Guy's version, or Jerry Jeff's version, or Nanci Griffiths version, with a who's who of legends (Guy, Jerry Jeff, Earle, Crowell, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Eric Taylor)...

Same with Road Goes on Forever. Keens version is better, Elys version is better, Ingrams was better... 

I'm not sure if it was because it just didn't work, or if they were overproduced, but I never was a fan.

1 ... 349 350 351 352 353 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I2EBHj3Igji7JbBucgghNa8VA3Hh94Mu4cJMBeF8svkHiFUe1kp0EPqYzGeV4SX3