1 ... 353 354 355 356 357 ... 441
Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/19/21 9:35 a.m.

You should hear my thoughts on that subject...

Ha! My current job is very quiet and people often ask me, how do you do it? It would drive me crazy.

I tell them, it's easy, I don't have the boredom gene

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/19/21 2:35 p.m.

My minor confession:

I actually enjoy driving the rental Transit T250 that I have this week. The visibility out the front is astounding and aside from the length, it's really easy to drive. The 3.5L V6 is pretty uninspired but it's not too slow. The 10 speed auto is weird; sometimes hunting for the right gear and sometimes not downshifting when it should. It feels like 1st gear has a massive amount of torque limiting and take-offs are lazy.

It handles better than it has any right to and seems more settled on the freeway than my 2wd Ram 1500.

There is a bunch of wind noise and being a cargo van, it's pretty boomy on the freeway. Squeaks and rattles are present but not overwhelming or irritating. The seats are comfy and there are adjustable arm rests that really turn the bucket seats into almost a captains chair.

It's a 2020 so it has SYNC3 which paired via Bluetooth to my phone quickly. I stream Spotify while driving and it doesn't revert back to radio after an ignition cycle. It starts streaming immediately after the ignition is turned on which surprised me. It has the base 4" screen which is fine for controlling the radio but sucks when trying to view the backup camera.

I reset the fuel economy lie-o-meter when I picked it up. I'm averaging 16.3mpg on the same commute that my Ram averages 16.7mpg on. I have been driving it like a rental laugh

The 3.5L EcoBoost would be a riot in a Transit. You can spec it with any combination of lengths or roof heights and even with AWD.

I'd seriously consider a Transit to take the place of my pickup if they were not so expensive. A quick trip to the build and price nets a $52k AWD, Ecoboost, Medium Roof, LWB, Race Red Crew van with the Adventure Prep Package. I'd build it out to be a simple van camper but could still be used to haul stuff.

EDIT: I found my dream van:

AWD T250 Ecoboost in GREEN!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/19/21 4:15 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

I have bad ideas of buying cab chassis Transit, and putting a 9'+ dropside bed on the back.  It'd probably be around the same length or shorter than a crew cab short bed truck.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/21 4:20 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

I've driven Ecoboost Transits.  I didn't realize they were turbocharged until I ran the VIN.  This isn't to say that they're bad, more like the base model is pretty good as it is.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/20/21 9:32 a.m.

I had a dream last night that I 'sploded the engine in the Miata. I feel like this is some kind of omen

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/20/21 10:14 a.m.

After a year in lockdown, all the college girls in town are very eager to display their wares.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/20/21 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Shouldn't this be in the Minor Win thread?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/20/21 11:02 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Theoretically, yes, but A) DDs #1 and #2 are both older than these girls, and B) DDs #1 and #2 both used to be college girls in this town.

The creepiness factor puts it here instead of there.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/20/21 11:11 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Fair enough.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/20/21 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Ah, yes, but I can easily tell the difference between my daughters and yours.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/21 9:24 a.m.

I'll walk right past coins on the street, but I've been known to stop and pick up quality hardware. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/21/21 9:36 a.m.

I find money. All the time and everywhere, and I'll pick up a penny. I think it's just because I'm always looking. Not for anything in particular, but if I see something and I don't know right away what it is I'll go over and find out.

I was walking out of the washroom at work a couple years ago and saw something on the floor. It was a $100 bill. I've found phones, digital cameras on the highway, Ipods, Beat's headphones, and 100's of dollars. I find E36 M3 everywhere, and I will not hesitate to pick up a piece of hardware. I found a really nice performance SS muffler, about 15 years ago. I bet I still have it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/21/21 11:03 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I'll walk right past coins on the street, but I've been known to stop and pick up quality hardware. 

I do both. A screwdriver in the ditch is still a screwdriver. A penny on the sidewalk is still 1% of a dollar. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/21/21 6:15 p.m.

About 30 years ago (I initially typed 20, but upon reflection realized I'm a lot older than I care to admit) I started to notice bungie cords either on the road, on the side of the road, in ditches, pretty much everywhere vehicles passed. I thought it would be funny if, every time I saw one, I would stop and pick it up. It became a game with the kids, and they would spot them for me. After a little while, probably about a year, I had so many bungie cords I was running out of places to keep them and had to stop picking them up.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/21 5:48 p.m.

After watching the latest Hot Rod Garage episode I want to build a GN g body clone but with a T5 trans.  Probably a Olds because that's what we had when I was a teen.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/22/21 7:32 p.m.
Stampie said:

After watching the latest Hot Rod Garage episode I want to build a GN g body clone but with a T5 trans.  Probably a Olds because that's what we had when I was a teen.

There's a guy down the street with an 80's Cutlass Supreme 2 door that's been lowered, and has some sort of custom exhaust on it.  I have to fight the urge to ask if he wants to trade it for my S10.  Cutlasses and Regals of that era were extremely common in my high school parking lot.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/22/21 7:42 p.m.

I now want an FR-S/BRZ simply because 949 Racing is coming out with Xida coilovers for that chassis

Stampie
5/25/21 6:52 p.m.

My neighbor gave me an Italian Creme Cake.  I've had it for dinner the last two nights.  #singleguyweek vs #singledadweek

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/25/21 7:15 p.m.
Stampie said:

My neighbor gave me an Italian Creme Cake.  I've had it for dinner the last two nights.  #singleguyweek vs #singledadweek

Sometimes I read Stampie's posts and wish I could have a weekend rotation, weekend being Thursday evening through Sunday evening even if you work Friday's: 

1. Family weekend
  2. Dad and kid weekend, Mom alone
  3. Family weekend
  4. Mom and kid weekend, Dad alone
Pete. (l33t FS)
5/25/21 7:40 p.m.
Stampie said:

Don't do a turbo six unless you are a fan of lag.

They're okay with a stock converter but they wake the heck up with a looser one, like 9psi as soon as you get the throttle open.  Having a zero stall converter (manual trans) would be like lag city.

I mean, it'd be interesting in a Porsche 930 kind of way, but after experiencing what a sorted auto can do with a turbo six.... boooy howdy.

I do sometimes wonder if you could cram twin turbos in one if you used a Series II engine in there, but the steering box would be a problem.  And the frame rails.  That front suspension takes up a lot of real estate.

Stampie
5/25/21 8:02 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

When I was married and Lil Stampie was young we had a good arrangement.  I worked Sunday-Wednesday.  She worked Thursday-Saturday.  Basically half a week as single parent then half a week off except for evenings.  We even alternated nights as to who was responsible for bath/bedtime.

Stampie
5/25/21 8:03 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Could you not solve that lag problem with modern turbos and properly sizing them for the engine?  I mean 400hp in a G body would be fun enough.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
5/25/21 9:15 p.m.

This one is for Bobzilla. 

I did over 800 miles over the weekend in a 2018 Elantra automatic and I actually really liked it. The cvt wasn't anything to write home about, and the throttle response could be a little more direct, but it handled way better than I expected in some of the mountain roads. Shockingly good really. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/25/21 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Single turbo is "tricky" because the left side goes under the engine and up through the right side exhaust manifold.  There's a lot of volume in the exhaust system pre-turbo.  Smaller exhaust hotsides help, but then you're running 3x exhaust:intake pressures, maybe more, which introduces its own problems.

The wildest one I experienced in terms of response had 10:1 compression.  It spooled an 86mm turbo instantly.  It also made 730whp on race gas, 810whp on e85, at only 23psi boost, which may be exceeding your goals a bit smiley

Most of the aftermarket is geared towards stock appearing turbos, because that is a popular class in the GN drag racing world.  Even then, there are 8 second stock appearing GNs.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/25/21 9:35 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

I find money. All the time and everywhere, and I'll pick up a penny. 

Guys throw pennys into the urinals at work and we all pee on them cause nobody's picking out three cents.  

I always wonder how high you gotta go to pick out the peed on coins.  $.25? $.50? $.75?  At what point will some dude pick them out?

1 ... 353 354 355 356 357 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8MIIG4RL2CAXi03WeJpQuvr20Ps8aYI3h8zBwwxDocJLKkkMaMsqliilt0vfo7F5