1 ... 357 358 359 360 361 ... 441
Azryael
Azryael Reader
6/13/21 10:57 a.m.

I'd have rather been born 10-20 years earlier myself.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/21 11:08 p.m.

I love seeing classifieds that have 3 wheels for sale and then reading the ad copy to see what kind of spin they put on the fact that one of the wheels got completely borked beyond usability. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/14/21 8:50 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I'd like to try 1976 again.

I can clearly identify a few periods in my life that really stood out, and 76-80 was one of them

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/21 12:22 p.m.

1976 was a really fun year to be a little kid in the US.

Bicentennial-Everything was exciting, even if it hasn't aged well. Everything was red, white and blue all year. There was a real sense of patriotism and togetherness.

It was an Olympic year, and we had two brand new national heroes: beautiful Dorothy Hamill and the All American boy, Bruce Jenner.

Say what you will, but if you weren't alive at the time, you can't possibly imagine what a big deal he was back then. I've heard the "Elvis, Jesus and Coca-Cola" reference before, and he was certainly right up there with them as far as worldwide name recognition goes.

And it was an election year (even though it wasn't a great one), and that was still an exciting thing at the time.

Sure, the cars sucked, but I didn't drive anyway. I mean...American cars sucked. European cars were good. Japanese cars were really good, but most people didn't realize that yet.

The music, could have been better...

I enjoyed 1976.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
6/14/21 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I have to agree. I enjoyed 1976 as well. Plus, my parents got a new car, 1976 Gran Torino station wagon, to replace our 1973 VW bug. I really liked the bug, but the station meant we could fold down the rear seat and have a huge area to play on family vacations or take a nap. 

I remember a lot girls got a "Dorthy Hamill" haircut.

My neighbors had an above ground pool.

I have a bicentennial basketball that is red, white and blue.

It was a good time.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/14/21 2:17 p.m.

Bbq salad is delightfully unhealthy health food. 

I dig it! Trying smoked Turkey salad next time....

Azryael
Azryael Reader
6/15/21 12:03 p.m.

It has once again taken me days to do something that should have only taken a few hours.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/21 5:58 p.m.

A local gun shop has a policy if you buy parts through them they'll install them free.  Usually I'm all like naw I'll do it.  I ordered a handguard for my AR.  It came in yesterday.  Removing the gas block has kicked their ass for two days and it still isn't off.  I don't feel bad because I'd rather their ass get kicked than mine.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/21 9:04 p.m.
Stampie said:

A local gun shop has a policy if you buy parts through them they'll install them free. 

You're lucky. I don't know of anybody doing that sort of thing around here.

My confession: I've started to pay people to do things I know I can do because I'm just plain worn out lately. This is causing me immense guilt. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/16/21 8:29 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

The benefit plan that I bitched about being just OK when I took the job may very well end up funding my exit from said job

I'm giving my notice today.

Unlike my last job where I reveled in telling my boss to go berkeley himself, one of life's true pleasures, I don't look forward to this one. I like my boss, I like the job. It's just time.

So I'm going to have to tell him, it's not you, it's me

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/16/21 8:59 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
Stampie said:

A local gun shop has a policy if you buy parts through them they'll install them free. 

You're lucky. I don't know of anybody doing that sort of thing around here.

My confession: I've started to pay people to do things I know I can do because I'm just plain worn out lately. This is causing me immense guilt. 

I considered having someone do the Vans u joints fir me because I hate doing u joints,it's hot outside and I am too busy to do much else.

You aren't alone there

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
6/16/21 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Azryael :

I had a C64 as a kid as well. I pretty sure the first "adult film" I saw was on a c64 floppy disc! It was a blue colored disc. I can still remember it. Ha! 

load"*",8,1

Also remember the rows of all the hi tech Tandy machines at my local Radio Shack!

Azryael
Azryael Reader
6/16/21 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

I can only imagine how cool a lot of this stuff was when it was the latest and greatest. I remember watching Computer Chronicles as a kid, and then going back and watching the older episodes from the 1980s as I got older just to watch them. A few years back, I watched the entirety of Jim Butterfield's intro to the C64, and man it was truly a treat to watch.

By the time I got to play with the C64 myself, the Pentium 4 was the hottest and most current thing on the market.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/16/21 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

The word "Pentium" triggers me.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
6/16/21 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Now THIS is something I definitely remember. I love Weird Al.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/17/21 8:31 p.m.

For some reason I find it funny to launch crap onto our roof at work.  

Today it seemed funny to bounce 2 golf balls hard enough onto the ground that they landed on our flat roof.   Score.  

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/21 5:33 p.m.

While I enjoy the i8, I'm considering trading it for something better suited for casual HPDE.  Biggest problems with the i8 in that environment (and, to tell the truth, street driving) is the very limited choice in tires.  And that the hybrid powertrain just really isn't suited for an HPDE weekend without charging at the track.

But my god, its a nice driving machine and the attention it pulls is pretty gratifying.

The E86 Z4 Couple was really well suited for an HPDE weekend, but I've had too many aftermarket joints installed to comfortably shift a manual transmission, so that was the primary reason it went after 12 years and more than 110,000 miles.

The real confession is that I'm looking at seeing if I fit in a Supra with a helmet on  as perhaps the closest (for someone with BMW brain damage) modern equivalent to the Z4 Coupe.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/21 7:12 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Azryael :

The word "Pentium" triggers me.

And it woulda been the 80586, too, if it wasn't for a court ruling that it was a part number, not a name, and part numbers can't be copyrighted, so Intel couldn't go after AMD and Cyrix for making their x86 compatible chips and naming them 386/486/etc.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/20/21 9:53 a.m.

I really want to put the 15x7s with 205 Conti ECS off the Yaris on the (250hp) Miata. It'd probably do nasty burnouts.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/21/21 12:32 p.m.

I'd love to go full "early-90's", and get a vintage pull out car stereo head unit for my S10 build, but working ones are considerably more expensive than buying a new car stereo.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/21/21 12:49 p.m.

I think I have three 90's head units in the shop. One of them is new in the box, another is a Blaupunkt with a separate amp on the back that sounded really good.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/21/21 12:54 p.m.

I treat the eta on my gps as a time to beat.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/21/21 1:30 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

I think I have three 90's head units in the shop. One of them is new in the box, another is a Blaupunkt with a separate amp on the back that sounded really good.

It appears they have hit the point where they are starting to be collectibles.  I think I'll just drop $100 or less on a basic name brand head unit, and have way more capability, except I won't be able to play cassette tapes.  laugh

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/21/21 2:39 p.m.

I've always thought Elapsed Time Away was a clumsy way to speak.

It's Estimated Time of Arrival, isn't it?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/21 2:55 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

Started doing that for some tasks as well. I'm paying an acquaintance to take care of our yard even though I can do the work and enjoy it. My hay fever really gets in the way though and with him having been a landscaper in a previous career, he certainly does a better job than I did.

Heck, I've even purchased a pre-assembled server recently instead of building Yet Another Computer. OK, it still need some putting together, but it makes me feel slightly dirty.

1 ... 357 358 359 360 361 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4SL4I6iLcW4LCFlW1kMJASa9EaO035tFUaKnsLtkLUbmm6vafEwAYKDwewLNT3KI