1 ... 360 361 362 363 364 ... 441
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/3/21 2:39 p.m.

I had an epiphany the other day, though not necessarily a good one. Be warned- spoilers for the marvel series Loki are included. 

So, watching Loki. There's a scene where they end up in an apocalrthst takes place as a biblical flood in Alabama. The scene is inside a Walmart clone. Roxxart? Doesn't matter. 

There's a whole mess of people hiding in fear of this biblical storm. The lot is already flooded, it's only a matter of time. Yet several employees can be seen, doing menial tasks and such, and in that moment I realized, that was me. Here I am with the world potentially ending outside, with a literal hurricane on the way, and I'm at work wearing my name tag pushing a berkeleying broom. Now this is all of my own design and I put my own self here, but really- is this all there is?

It's one of those things. Sorta caught me off guard. I know I need to fix  my own E36 M3, but man, some days are hard. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/3/21 3:03 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

The only power people have over you is the power you give them. If you don't wanna do it and you want to better yourself, do that instead and don't let anyone stop you.

It's advice I wish I had received earlier in life

7/3/21 3:05 p.m.

My confession is I'm off work, I have nothing to do so.....I had scotch for breakfast.

I don't do this often, even though I love scotch I don't even drink every day, but the 4th weekend isn't great for me, I have nothing pressing to do and I plan on playing video games and watching movies all day anyway, might as well have some tasty scotch too

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/21 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

My confession is when I saw the word Loki I thought you were going to admit that you would make out with the female version of yourself.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/3/21 4:42 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Is it cheating or just masturbating?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/3/21 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Since (alleged) retirement, I have spent a day drinking beer and watching One Punch Man. 

it was a good day. 

7/3/21 5:31 p.m.
Karacticus said:

Since (alleged) retirement, I have spent a day drinking beer and watching One Punch Man. 

it was a good day. 

For me my life is fairly busy at all times so a day of doing whatever is exactly what I need.

Up next.....another Scotch? A Godfather? Lemon-Lime Bitters? Or maybe a Dirty Martini?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/21 5:44 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Or is it more like making out with your sister?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/21 5:49 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I had an epiphany the other day, though not necessarily a good one. Be warned- spoilers for the marvel series Loki are included. 

So, watching Loki. There's a scene where they end up in an apocalrthst takes place as a biblical flood in Alabama. The scene is inside a Walmart clone. Roxxart? Doesn't matter. 

There's a whole mess of people hiding in fear of this biblical storm. The lot is already flooded, it's only a matter of time. Yet several employees can be seen, doing menial tasks and such, and in that moment I realized, that was me. Here I am with the world potentially ending outside, with a literal hurricane on the way, and I'm at work wearing my name tag pushing a berkeleying broom. Now this is all of my own design and I put my own self here, but really- is this all there is?

It's one of those things. Sorta caught me off guard. I know I need to fix  my own E36 M3, but man, some days are hard. 

In times of crisis, there is a lot of serenity in maintaining a status quo.

I can totally see sweeping the floor and straightening the shelves while the world ends.  "Gentlemen, I will finish the game."

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/3/21 6:28 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Stampie :

Is it cheating or just masturbating?

Uh...pretty sure that's incest. I'm think of the mutant kid that would come from parents with the exact same DNA. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/3/21 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Wouldn't that just be a clone?

Note: I am not a geneticist, but I did watch "Hot Shots".

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/21 6:49 p.m.

I love genealogy. I've traced my family's roots back to England in the mid 1500s. 

I'd really like to do one of those DNA tests, but I'm kind of hesitant to do so.

Not that I'm afraid of being linked to any unsolved crimes or anything, but I'd just like to keep my options open for the future. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
7/3/21 8:14 p.m.

So it’s been 57 F and raining since shortly after we arrived here on the island Thursday evening.  We’ve slept in the past two days because gray and gloomy, fire in the fireplace and the wood stove in the kitchen and lots of snacking.   So far today I’ve had two beers, a Manhattan my son made for me and three glasses of rye over a generous amount of rocks. I’m hoping it won’t be raining tomorrow or things could get desperate.  Lol. 

7/3/21 8:29 p.m.
11GTCS said:

So it’s been 57 F and raining since shortly after we arrived here on the island Thursday evening.  We’ve slept in the past two days because gray and gloomy, fire in the fireplace and the wood stove in the kitchen and lots of snacking.   So far today I’ve had two beers, a Manhattan my son made for me and three glasses of rye over a generous amount of rocks. I’m hoping it won’t be raining tomorrow or things could get desperate.  Lol. 

That sounds like a good time to me! Drink a whiskey for me too

57 degrees sounds lovely after 109 degrees up here a few days ago. I'm really hoping no one starts a fire from fireworks this year

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
7/3/21 10:11 p.m.

Ironically it was 100 here last week but of course, now I’m on vacay...  Maybe this should go in the first world problems thread?

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/3/21 11:15 p.m.

I'm not sure why I was looking on Autotrader but a Mitsubishi Mirage hatch looks like a fun car to drive.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
7/4/21 1:29 a.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

Unless your models are vastly different to the one's sold in NZ the answer is an unequivocal no ... steering is akin to the rudder on a becalmed yacht, grip rivals a cat on linoleum and acceleration is marginal at best smiley

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/21 7:54 a.m.

I was about to go up to the room over the garage to catch the start of the Formula 1 race, when I suddenly realized that there hasn't been a TV up there for over a year.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/4/21 9:51 p.m.

You never know about some people.  

Older than me guy at church drives an old Chevy and I asked if he drove it today.  

He says no and he almost drove his rotisserie restored '76 black Trans Am 455/4 today.

I confess I want an older Trans Am now.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/5/21 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

A 400/4 speed was the only four speed era-car that I ever liked driving.  Like to say it was a '72 Firebird?  Definitely not a Trans Am, definitely before the quad headlight era of 2nd generation Firebirds.  It felt good.

Re: you never know about some people.  Guy I used to work with drove a Focus so rusted out I was shocked that it didn't just disassemble itself.  A K3500 longbed crew cab gigantasaurus that he used to tow a camper, in normal well-used truck fashion.

One day he shows up with an immaculately clean NSX.  "I don't take it out much."

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/5/21 10:27 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

A 400/4 speed was the only four speed era-car that I ever liked driving.  Like to say it was a '72 Firebird?  Definitely not a Trans Am, definitely before the quad headlight era of 2nd generation Firebirds.  It felt good.

My father still says one of his favorite cars to drive was his buddy's '75 Trans An. It was a 400/4-speed car, Buccaneer Red with the white and black interior, no hood bird (when he had it repainted in the early '80s, he deleted it because the body shop couldn't guarantee they could lay the decal right, and he hated the hood bird that year because it was the black and yellow one that looked like someone threw up on the hood), honeycomb wheels. He had taken the blocked-off back out of the Shaker hoodscoop and it had Z/28 chambered mufflers on it. My father said it handled solid for the era, and the smogger 400 wasn't a powerhous but it had enough punch to be fun. They spent their bachelor years going for spirited late night drives around Lake Delta and doing unsanctioned acceleration contests (although supposedly the 455/TH400 '71 Catalina 2-door was better for that, thanks to an unusually strong-running 455 from the factory).

That car met a sad fate though. After his friend got married, a couple years later the wife started pressuring him to sell it. Then one of the wife's friends ended up buying it. Bad enough to have to see your old car around, but the girl who bought it pretty much destroyed it in short order. She didn't know how to drive stick, and so she tore the clutch out of it within like a week. Then shortly afterwards she backed into something and crunched a quarter panel (and they were OEM Pontiac quarters that he had bought and had installed when he had had it repainted) and she drove it in the winter and it started getting rusty. She sold it not long after, and I know he had sort of been able to track the car through its many owners, last he knew it was out in Arizona or something.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/5/21 11:14 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Re: you never know about some people.  Guy I used to work with drove a Focus so rusted out I was shocked that it didn't just disassemble itself.  A K3500 longbed crew cab gigantasaurus that he used to tow a camper, in normal well-used truck fashion.

One day he shows up with an immaculately clean NSX.  "I don't take it out much."

Also reminds me of a story I was told by a guy I autocross with. This guy showed up to an autocross with an old EC1-chassis CRX and it was an absolutely roach. The tech inspector looked it over and said there was too much structural rust under it for him to comfortably allow it to pass tech. So the guy sighs and goes "Okay, I'll go get my other car." He leaves, and comes back thirty minutes later with an absolutely spotless Porsche 930 Turbo flachbau.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/5/21 11:17 a.m.

See my rant for the reason, but it's 11:15 on a Monday morning and I'm 3 beers deep. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/7/21 11:49 a.m.

I think my sarcasm has been set to kill instead of stun. 

My aunt annette needs all my thoughts and prayers. She was on vacation in telluride over the 4th of July, and her husband mark, wanted to surprise her with a new car. So he went to Albuquerque and bought a 2021 cayenne turbo for her. On his way back, the poor thing broke down and he has to drive back to telluride in a *gasp* rental. I learned of this as I was driving my $500 jeep liberty through what was tropical whatever Elsa to work this morning at 6:15 in the morning, that has never once left me stranded. I don't know how she's going to cope. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/7/21 2:47 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Like how I'm supposed to have feelings for a celebrity/sports/famous berkeley and their problems. 

If they had my problems, they'd jump out a berkeleying window. 

1 ... 360 361 362 363 364 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ptWYXWSVzF4aAv8rpQcWmH4kjkK6xvhqpHk80aaEXWRnpcMaeY1EBEcV0OBQupIz