1 ... 363 364 365 366 367 ... 441
Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/20/21 9:09 a.m.
Duke said:
Mndsm said:
NickD said:

I don't think I've ever been at a location where there has been live music that I have gone "Oh, good, live music."

Unless I paid for said live music, I rarely find said live music to my tastes. I'm not a fan of off cadence jack Johnson tunes or bad ac/dc covers. 

Plus, every amateur band - without exception - plays too loudly for a space twice the size of wherever they happen to be.

Not all bands but yeah there are some.

It's usually the drummers fault though, the band has to play to the level of the drumset since it doesn't have a volume control. I'm not just being a mean guitar player either lol, most drummers say the same thing. You'd get the guitarist that won't use preamp gain and the bassist who wants to rock the house off it's foundation though too.

A drummer that can control his volume is fantastic, I've played at volumes that  didn't need a PA for vocals and it was an electric rock band.

I'm a big believer of doing practices at multiple different volumes so you always know how it sounds too.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/20/21 5:22 p.m.

So, we had a discussion at work today. I don't remember what it even started about. But in the end I had and do confess that I had absolutely no idea how often you replace your underwear. Do you replace it regularly, like shoes (I go through shoes roughly every 6 months. More if I buy a bad pair) or is it like shirts that you just wear til they're done? No one ever tells you this E36 M3 when you're am adult. 

Turns out it's once a year. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/21 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Wrong.  You don't have to replace underwear if you don't wear underwear.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/20/21 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

When my junk sticks to my leg, its time.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/21 5:43 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
Duke said:
Mndsm said:
NickD said:

I don't think I've ever been at a location where there has been live music that I have gone "Oh, good, live music."

Unless I paid for said live music, I rarely find said live music to my tastes. I'm not a fan of off cadence jack Johnson tunes or bad ac/dc covers. 

Plus, every amateur band - without exception - plays too loudly for a space twice the size of wherever they happen to be.

Not all bands but yeah there are some.

It's usually the drummers fault though, the band has to play to the level of the drumset since it doesn't have a volume control. I'm not just being a mean guitar player either lol, most drummers say the same thing. You'd get the guitarist that won't use preamp gain and the bassist who wants to rock the house off it's foundation though too.

A drummer that can control his volume is fantastic, I've played at volumes that  didn't need a PA for vocals and it was an electric rock band.

I'm a big believer of doing practices at multiple different volumes so you always know how it sounds too.

I am, among other things, an audio engineer (AKA sound guy) and this is totally true.  The drums set your minimum volume, you can't get any quieter than they are and a large number of amateur drummers and some pros only have one volume.  Loud.  I found that the drummers with the best control over their volume tend to be the jazz folks.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/20/21 5:52 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Stampie, are you by chance from Florida?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/21 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I have some shirts that are old enough to drive.

The other month I was showing a friend my RXNC 2011 video and he saw me get out of the car (GoPro mounted on B-pillar) and he said "You still wear that shirt."  "How do you know?"  "*points at the shirt I was wearing*"

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/20/21 6:43 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Mndsm :

When my junk sticks to my leg, its time.

That reminds me of the other day when my underwear decided that "it's time" while I was at work, in those lovely Cintas uniform pants(*), and discovered the value of good underwear: You don't get rug burn on delicate bits.

* - 100% chance of wearing Cintas pants, because I do not actually own any pants...

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/21 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

My junk must have callus then because I'm free balling 24/7 in Cintas shorts/pants (*).

* - 20 years of Cintas clothing allowance at work means I don't have to wash shorts/pants but like once a month.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/20/21 8:19 p.m.

Minor confession - I plan to stand farther away than normal if I ever meet Stampie, and keep my eyes firmly fixed over his left shoulder.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/20/21 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I wear boxers.  I go until they get washed a 100+ times then shred while squatting down.  

I used  to enjoy throwing away worn out pants in hotel rooms to travel more efficiently.   I was kind to not toss my Underwear though.  

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
7/21/21 4:33 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I get involved in an amateur show every second year and we constructed a soundproof box in the orchestra pit to put the drummer (and his kit) inside. Even has a double glazed Perspex window so he can see the conductor smiley

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/21/21 5:24 a.m.

Life is too short to wear cheap underwear. But I was at the end of the laundry cycle yesterday and had to dip into the backup gitch. At work, and in this heat, by noon I was full stampie. 

I always thought it was the solvent Cintas  used to wash their uniforms that was the irritant. I don’t get mine for another week 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/21/21 6:37 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Mndsm :

I don't know how you do it. Free balling in this humidity is a death sentence to me. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/21/21 7:22 a.m.
Mndsm said:
Stampie said:

In reply to Mndsm :

I don't know how you do it.

I don't know why you'd want to.

I'm fine with wearing nothing at all, but if I'm wearing pants, I'm wearing underwear.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/21/21 9:50 a.m.

I'm disappointed that Elon Musk didn't have some secret orbital laser cannon to shoot down Jeff Bezos' rocket with.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/21/21 9:52 a.m.
NickD said:

I'm disappointed that Elon Musk didn't have some secret orbital laser cannon to shoot down Jeff Bezos' rocket with.

It looks like a giant....

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/21/21 9:58 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

Yeah, I saw it and went "Really? They made it look like that?" 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/21/21 10:01 a.m.
NickD said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

Elon's definitely got more taste than Bezos.

Elon Musk says an update for its Starship spacecraft development program is  coming in 3 weeks | TechCrunch

Now, if you really want, you can make a Steely Dan reference, but it's pretty tasteful.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/21/21 10:07 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/21 10:25 a.m.
RichardNZ said:

In reply to APEowner :

I get involved in an amateur show every second year and we constructed a soundproof box in the orchestra pit to put the drummer (and his kit) inside. Even has a double glazed Perspex window so he can see the conductor smiley

Ah yes, the drummer cage.  A highly effective tool.  Plus, as one of the drummers I worked with claimed, it keeps the drummer from getting hit with the panties all their female fans throw at them.  The drummer who told me that played in a church band.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/21/21 11:43 a.m.
NickD said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

I'm convinced it was done on purpose every guy I know at some point in life has taken the opportunity to put a dicknballz in am inappropriate spot. I usually like to put them on the back glass of my friends cars so they see them in the rear view, but I take the opportunity as I get it. Jeff bezos has just one upped us all and launched one into space, and the entire world watched. Everyone wants to rag on him and roast him in memes, but he's just one upped every guy that's ever done that. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/21/21 11:54 a.m.

You aren't supposed to  throw out underwear until there's only one Fruit of the  Loom guy hanging on to the tag. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/21/21 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I'm berkeleyed- all mine say hanes. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/21/21 2:47 p.m.

If you can still read HAYNES, they are still viable underwear.

1 ... 363 364 365 366 367 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lObDjZM2ALjC6HDb4gUQVkh0huFMlYhNv3BZwG06GRUMqHuE3JrESQdehWnIdBwy