1 ... 368 369 370 371 372 ... 441
KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
9/21/21 9:05 a.m.

Because my tuner said he didn't like the noise coming from the transmission in my turbo car (that hasn't been in my driveway since April) I bought a parts car.   Diff is already claimed by one friend.   Anyone need a BP motor?   1994 with 109k on it.   Drove itself onto the trailer....  well, sort of drove, the other side is whacked pretty hard.  Right front wheel doesn't roll and the door is shoved back over an inch.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
9/21/21 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Don't come to my house this time of year.

I live in an old farmhouse that's porous at the best of times. This time of year its crickets. When they're done, it's the cat's favourite time of year, when the mice try to come in from the cold. This morning it was wasps for some reason. Fortunately it was the bugs, and not the other ones.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/21 9:32 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

If the top is glass window and the other side is good I'd be interested in it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/21/21 9:47 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

How much do you want for the engine?  My unknown mileage (somewhere north of 220k) 96 Miata is still burning some oil after I redid the valve stem seals, and it does seem a little down on power from the last NA8 I drove.

Also, are the seats any good?  Mine (especially the driver seat) are thrashed.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
9/21/21 10:07 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Plastic window (but clear and seems newer than the car)  Vinyl top.

In reply to eastsideTim:

What seems like a fair GRM price for the motor?  I'm not wanting to make any sort of killing, just recover some of my cost in buying a whole car just for the transmission.  And yeah, I have a pair of very nice seats from the turbo car (black cloth) in my attic if you want them as well.  

eight5nine six99 eight3four3   text is great

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/21/21 10:36 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

Added your number to my phone book if you want to pull it off the post.

wae
wae UberDork
9/21/21 11:46 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

I'll be second in line if Stampie isn't interested in a plastic-windowed top!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
9/21/21 12:47 p.m.

In reply to wae and stampie :

You guys see my number.  I'd rather not have to ship anything which means it'll be my Ky adjacent peeps.  Bonus points if you pull parts yourselves so I don't mess up anything as delicate as a top.

(keeping the latches, mine are so worn they pop open, exciting at speed!)

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/21/21 1:07 p.m.
KyAllroad said:

(keeping the latches, mine are so worn they pop open, exciting at speed!)

The latches on mine were really shot (not that bad) and you didn't have to press in the button to unlatch them. I bought new OEM latches and, holy E36 M3, Mazda must make those out of billet titanium or something for the price they charge.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/24/21 3:05 p.m.

I'm seriously thinking about canceling my 2 door Bronco reservation and getting a Maverick. The Bronco I want (base, manual, Sasquatch) is going to take forever to get produced (like late 2022 or early 2023). The Bronco is rated at like 19mpg highway which is about 1mpg better than my 2wd Ram 1500. My commute is about 60 miles a day and I'm spending $80+ every 4-5 days on gas. I think the Maverick would be a great commuter while still having some utility. The base $20k hybrid is targeted to get 40mpg city and 37mpg combined. I think I'd get an XLT, AWD with the 2.0L. Adding the FX4 package, max tow package and a few small options and I'd still be under $30k. The 2.0L AWD is rated and 29mpg highway.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/24/21 3:09 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

I bet what you want is likely to actually show up on dealer lots (okay, maybe the Lariat instead of the XLT) once the Maverick is widely available.  Might be good to hold onto the Bronco reservation until you get a chance to test drive the Maverick.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/21 3:35 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

I need the glass.  Putting it on an 32k mile original NB.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/24/21 4:08 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

From what I understand, the Maverick was just cleared OKTB (Ok-to-buy) and have started production. A few have shown up on dealer lots but they are pretty rare right now. I want to order one to avoid (hopefully) ADM.

The order banks for the MY2022 Bronco should open sometime in October. I guess I could always 99 my order code for another year.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/21 8:40 a.m.

I made a deposit on an F150 Lightning . . . or more accurately a deposit on the right to order an F150 Lightning when a production slot becomes available.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/21 8:58 a.m.

An email I get through work lists job openings around the country. There was a posting this morning for my position in Washington for more money. After last weekend I briefly considered packing up and going.  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/25/21 10:47 a.m.
NickD said:

The Miata is pretty much demoted from long-distance traveling and hasn't done much street-driving, so part of me is considering making it a bit more serious for next year's autocross season.

Part of this is that I'm considering dumping the pop-up headlights with hefty electric motors and depleted uranium headlight lids for the Slipstream fixed headlamps. Heresy, I know.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
9/25/21 10:52 a.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:

I made a deposit on an F150 Lightning . . . or more accurately a deposit on the right to order an F150 Lightning when a production slot becomes available.

Excited for you and can't wait to hear what you think of it.  I predict a massive commercial success if it is 80% of what they say it is.  

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/21 12:10 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

An email I get through work lists job openings around the country. There was a posting this morning for my position in Washington for more money. After last weekend I briefly considered packing up and going.  

What's holding you back?

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/25/21 12:17 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

The Northwest is great, where is the job?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/21 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

A few things, I'm 9 years from a pretty good pension and benefits of the state doesn't fold, I'm not sure the bump in pay offsets the cost of living, generally uncomfortable doing anything right now....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/21 9:15 a.m.

Somewhat nostalgic for the smell of the machine shop.  It was mostly Safety-Kleen parts washer solution, and something else I can't identify.

It reminds me of crankshafts standing up on end at one corner of the workbench, razor blades tactically cornered in to various workbench locations, rags laid down everywhere to protect freshly-machined surfaces, Sharpied marks on heads.  So many iron heads.

The confession: I kinda want a 231 powered something because of how easy it is to handle their cylinder heads, compared to a V8 anything.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/26/21 9:42 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Decades of engine oil baked into concrete. I know the smell you speak of and I've never been to the shop.

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/26/21 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Oh no.  No oil baked in to anything.  The place was super clean, and heavily climate controlled to keep the humidity out.

If we got something nasty grimy to deal with, it was disassembled outside.  Any grimy parts were laid on cardboard to keep the floor from getting dirty.  The pad outside, if it got oily, would get a scrub with hydrochloric acid to clean it off.

Everything was so clean in there, you could eat off the floor but you'd have to wipe up your mess afterwards.

And.... there was a cleanroom for engine assembly.

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/26/21 10:20 a.m.

Another confession, trying to not be a humblebrag. 

For some damn reason, I was searching Autotrader for ZL1s, and I realized that I could probably swing it.  This is a far far cry from trying to scrape up $200 to buy a beater to lean on for the next three years, and I am not sure how I feel about this development.

All the cheap ones are convertibles, though.  I'd rather drive a half broken 15 year old E36 M3pile than a convertible.  (As a bonus, it's paid for)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/26/21 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Maybe it's  clean assembly lube? But I swear I know that smell. 

1 ... 368 369 370 371 372 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JeDygxFxy95SdNVovJj0WBk6evsNdZsQAWhBlgMw3qSqBvBXdvtuWyI4RF7zMjpv