1 ... 369 370 371 372 373 ... 441
Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/26/21 12:48 p.m.

I don't like heights.

This results in some odd self-management flailings as I try to get housewrap up on the garage once it's up at ladder/scaffold heights.

Yesterday, I semi-earnestly had Vegemite (which I like anyway) in an attempt to make myself feel a bit of that thing I associate with Australians that's some combination of mental and/or just unbothered.

I haven't known a ton of Australians, but I feel like while you hear a fair bit about crazy Aussies, you don't hear much about neurotic ones.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
9/26/21 1:54 p.m.

I like this thing way more then I should. A true rust free vehicle in Ohio. It's just a cheap daily but I enjoy it. So much more space then the crv it replaced at half the cost 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/26/21 2:34 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

Its only an SRT4/GTCruiser turbo 2.4 swap away from stupid.  I agree. Lots of hnnnngh. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
10/2/21 8:42 p.m.

Speaking of CRVs. 
Confession 1: I have a thing for old brown Hondas.

confession 2: I've legitimately lost sleep over this car. Even with COVID prices, I think imma buy it. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/4/21 10:34 a.m.

I miss ring back tones for cell phones. I want people to call me and hear dial up Modem noises

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/21 10:51 a.m.

I still haven't gotten a date for a salvage inspection on the Corvette, and talking to some people it seems unlikely to come out without the nose getting confiscated. As much as I love the car every day I'm more tempted to take a sawzall to it now before the cold weather gets here.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/4/21 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Wait, WHUT?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/4/21 11:20 a.m.

Is there any way you can "sell" it to someone in another state, and have them sell it back to you to get a title that won't require going through a salvage inspection?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Because it was rebuilt NY demands a salvage inspection even though it has already passed an inspection in another state. I have no paperwork showing the replacement parts were legally purchased so they may be confiscated 

In reply to eastsideTim :

My understanding is now that an attempt was made to register the car and I paid sales tax on it anytime that VIN shows up it will show it needs an inspection before registration.  

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/21 11:52 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I still haven't gotten a date for a salvage inspection on the Corvette, and talking to some people it seems unlikely to come out without the nose getting confiscated. As much as I love the car every day I'm more tempted to take a sawzall to it now before the cold weather gets here.  

Can you swap on a cheap trashed junkyard nose (with receipt) just to get you through the inspection?

Or....

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

That's not a bad idea. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/4/21 1:14 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Duke :

Because it was rebuilt NY demands a salvage inspection even though it has already passed an inspection in another state. I have no paperwork showing the replacement parts were legally purchased so they may be confiscated 

This can't possibly be a thing that gets used very often.  It would basically eliminate sales of salvage title cars in New York.  I bet it has way more to do with ensuring the car was repaired properly, and the stolen part thing is just thrown in to allow some deeper looks into sketchy looking guys.

You sketchy?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

It's strictly for checking stolen parts with no interest in safety or quality of repairs. I've spoken to two people that had large chunks of car confiscated over paperwork the officer wasn't happy with.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/4/21 2:00 p.m.

That is absurd.  I can see it if you rebuilt the car and didn't do the proper paperwork, but if it's been registered in another state, and potentially years later somebody imports it...  Was the car plated anywhere since the repair?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 2:07 p.m.

Yes it was registered in NC and I believe inspected prior to that in SC. The state of NY doesn't accept any other state's inspections. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/4/21 2:55 p.m.

Still absurd.  The requirement for an inspection of an out of state car is totally normal.  I completely understand that.  The idea of a subsequent owner needing to have the paperwork for parts purchased to repair a car is way, way beyond rational. 

"Do you have a bill for the tires on that ten year old car?  They don't look original."

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/21 2:55 p.m.

How much did you pay Stampie's Corvette Salvage in Jacksonville for the front end parts?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/4/21 2:59 p.m.
Stampie said:

How much did you pay Stampie's Corvette Salvage in Jacksonville for the front end parts?

The right idea, but I'd imagine you would have to provide the VIN of the donor car.  That's how it works here.  For the guy resurrecting the car, not some random owner down the line.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/21 3:01 p.m.

This why a lot of salvage yards refuse to sell parts for rebuilt title cars.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 3:34 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

The other problem there is they know the car was already built so any new receipts would be suspicious as well. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/4/21 3:38 p.m.

Any chance a little research can be done ahead of time to improve your odds?  Don't know if there are certain inspection stations that are more lenient than others, or any state statutes that might cover your situation.

Edit - I really hope that didn't sound condescending.  Just really hoping there is something you can do to move the needle in your favor.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
10/4/21 3:55 p.m.

Doesn't it make you appreciate how easy we have it here (I assume your province isn't substantially different than ours) for that stuff?

My confession? I actually like the smell of skunk.

The animal too.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 4:22 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

These aren't the same stations that do safety/emissions testing. There's only a handful around the state so you can't do much choosing and it seems to be more the whim of the individual inspector than a particular station. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/21 4:40 p.m.

Dates are easy.  Put it in Lil Stampie's backpack for a week.  It'll look years old.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/4/21 4:54 p.m.

Go online, find and print the actual rules.  I've experienced some inspectors who make up their own, and require a little reading occasionally.

Doesn't always work.  I had a guy who insisted on daytime running lights on a car built in 1987, even though the rule clearly states, in actual words, that they are not required if the car was built before Sept 88, or so.  Kind of infuriating, but I wired up a relay just to avoid future aggro.

1 ... 369 370 371 372 373 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IhgTnJGtWjRktNbMkoVOAhuKDtGPXAwhlas9UJJCexDlsqMML0PTfDdOjKvMp7B9