1 ... 381 382 383 384 385 ... 402
RevRico said:

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

2005 started drive by wire. 2003 got a slightly different suspension than the 02. 

Thanks for the correction. I admit it's been awhile since I've looked at CVPIs so I probably forgot lots of info.

Do all the 2009+ cars have adjustable pedals? Any reason to get a 2009+ over an older one if mileage/condition are the same?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/1/22 5:06 p.m.
RevRico said:

2005 started drive by wire. 2003 got a slightly different suspension than the 02. 

And 04 got a slightly upgraded transmission, IIRC.  Which makes 2004 the "ideal" year to me.  Having driven pre and post 2003 models (and owning a 2000 Grand Marquis), The ride/handling difference is big enough I wouldn't even shop for a pre-2003 model.

JRGunfighter_John
JRGunfighter_John New Reader
2/1/22 5:08 p.m.
Duke said:
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

Tax refund got deposited today so I've been stalking FB looking for 2007+ CVPIs. A local dealer that buys them from auction has like 12+ cars right now. I know the 2007+ got better suspension and the 2009s are the last year before drive-by-wire. What else should I be looking for?

I know little about cop cars, but you get 100 Internet Points for correctly saying "tax refund" instead of "tax return".

I prefer the term Tax Rebate.  Refund or Return is what you get when you don't like a product and they give you your money back.  Rebate is an incentive from the seller/manufacturer to buy something you probably wouldn't in the first place without it.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/1/22 5:09 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

Tax refund

First thing I thought... Duke's going to be happy with that

I keep getting sidetracked in my search for a black 9C1/3 and start considering other, usually more expensive, cars. The latest is a Regal GS 6spd manual. Nice car. Probably too nice for me.

I haven't been able to experience them firsthand, but it seems everything I've read says the manual in the Regal and Verano is utterly horrible.  Not sure of the reasoning, though, been a long time since I had a turbo manual Verano on my shopping list.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/22 5:22 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

The throttle response is like the accelerator pedal is connected to the throttle plate by a 6 person game of Telephone.  It actively fights your ability to drive smoothly unless you use very slow and deliberate inputs.  It doesn't just have throttle hang, the engine revs up when you lift off the throttle and disengage the clutch.  So you have to lift off a second or two before you begin your shift.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/1/22 5:44 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The throttle response is like the accelerator pedal is connected to the throttle plate by a 6 person game of Telephone.  It actively fights your ability to drive smoothly unless you use very slow and deliberate inputs.  It doesn't just have throttle hang, the engine revs up when you lift off the throttle and disengage the clutch.  So you have to lift off a second or two before you begin your shift.

Edit:  Just realized you were talking about the Buicks

Here is what the seller currently has available:

I guess it comes down to condition and color then?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/3/22 9:22 a.m.

I know I have my own personal issues but I confess I'm sitting in a weekly work meeting looking at the guy presenting something and I'm thinking this guy needs some serious ear hair maintenance.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I have to shave my ears because they get stubbly.  Every morning.

I am part Wookiee.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
2/3/22 9:37 a.m.

The only complaint I've read about the GS is that the ratios and the shifter are not ideal. But it's a sedan. A big sedan with a manual trans, and not a sports car, so when I read that the car is better with the auto trans, you've lost credibility, and I take it with a grain of salt. The rest can be fixed, if it's a problem. It's not like I ever leave anything stock.

The Verano is interesting. I didn't even know they existed until a few weeks ago, and I mean Verano, not a 2.0T/6spd manual version. It seems like a better platform for that powertrain, at least for me, but it's even more too expensive.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
2/3/22 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Is that something a tune can remedy?  A manual GS is fairly high on my list of replacements for my 9-5 Aero when my oldest takes it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/3/22 11:56 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

The only complaint I've read about the GS is that the ratios and the shifter are not ideal. But it's a sedan. A big sedan with a manual trans, and not a sports car, so when I read that the car is better with the auto trans, you've lost credibility, and I take it with a grain of salt. The rest can be fixed, if it's a problem. It's not like I ever leave anything stock.

The Verano is interesting. I didn't even know they existed until a few weeks ago, and I mean Verano, not a 2.0T/6spd manual version. It seems like a better platform for that powertrain, at least for me, but it's even more too expensive.

I think even Car and Driver slammed the manual version of either the Verano or Regal, and if anyone is going to prefer a manual, they will.  Based on what Pete has said, though, I'd assume a tune could deal with the worst of the problems.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 2:19 p.m.

This is the third time I've had meatloaf since the passing of Meatloaf.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/3/22 2:30 p.m.

I've driven a manual transmission Regal GS. I didn't think it was bad. But then again, I think I have low automotive standards.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/22 3:12 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I know I have my own personal issues but I confess I'm sitting in a weekly work meeting looking at the guy presenting something and I'm thinking this guy needs some serious ear hair maintenance.  

My wife feels that any excessive ear hair I may be seen with in public reflects poorly on her choice of husband.  So, it's really all about her.

That, and I think she enjoys the pain she inflicts upon me when addressing it.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
2/3/22 6:46 p.m.

I can keep the ear and nose hair well in control.

It's the eyebrows that get away from me

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
2/3/22 6:49 p.m.
NickD said:

I've driven a manual transmission Regal GS. I didn't think it was bad. But then again, I think I have low automotive standards.

Purely hypothetical question for a GM tech.

Verano 2.0T/6spd maual manual or Regal GS 6spd manual?

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/22 10:08 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

This is the third time I've had meatloaf since the passing of Meatloaf.

So Meatloaf has now passed four times? (Sorry, couldn't help myself and do you think he went like a bat into hell or maybe got a pass to the other "place")

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/4/22 8:37 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:
NickD said:

Purely hypothetical question for a GM tech.

Verano 2.0T/6spd maual manual or Regal GS 6spd manual?

I forgot they even built the Verano with a 2.0T, let alone a 6-speed manual. Every one of them I've ever seen has been a 2.4L/auto car. I like the styling on the Regal better and I think the Regal GS is a pretty nice car, but that Verano has a lot of novelty value and seems like a weird future cult collectible. Honestly, probably couldn't go wrong with either. The LTG 2.0T is a honey of an engine, I love that thing, and the Regal and the Verano were pretty mechanically solid cars. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/22 11:59 a.m.

This is my current Dream Cart

I'm thinking that one of these could be part of the solution to basement organization.

Remember when I was complaining about commuting in a small, slow, loud crapbox and was contemplating buying a Panther platform to drive to work in.

Yeah, I didn't do that.

I instead bought a 2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV. Because that makes sense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

So now I have a ginormous, slow, somewhat quiet crapbox to commute in that will get horrible fuel economy.

I have no idea what I'm doing in life.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/6/22 10:54 p.m.

I confess I'm enjoying taking a 20 minute nap at lunch during the workday.  I've gotten good at sleeping sitting up but someday somebody is going to be tapping on my car window.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/7/22 1:56 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Or blasting you full of Narcan. You should bring a note explaining that you are sleeping.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/7/22 11:40 a.m.

You make life choices like I do. 

My confession, I hate letting cars go. Today, I finally let go of the Corolla I bought as a project in 2014. I bought it from a grmer in Baltimore, drove it to Minneapolis, and it is the car that ferried me to Florida a year later when my life crumbled. It saw me through everything. But it was tired. The entire underside was rusted. I had to replace ALL of the brake system. The tires were dead. The engine had a fairly serious oil leak. The interior didn't wear Florida well at all, and it was...it was time. I don't feel good about it at all. But I know the reality of the situation, and that I can likely find a better example locally. It's gonna take me a while to get over this. 

On the plus side, it opens a slot in my inventory to purchase something else. And there's lots of something else out there. Fortunately for me the stuff I like hasn't really appreciated during this ridiculous inflation period, so I can still afford them. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/7/22 12:53 p.m.

I once had the opportunity to take a Bentley Continental GT Supersport for a spin, unsupervised, and I turned the offer down. I still kick myself over that one.

1 ... 381 382 383 384 385 ... 402
Our Preferred Partners
tRFrG0pZm12mcq7ioQNXyKQEcYlPv2wIeWJIBWcULaP0M4zY936PSjq6WRQo58Ay