1 ... 415 416 417 418 419 ... 441
nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/21/23 1:48 p.m.

I'm not really irritated by the poop or trampled grass that the local deer leave in my back yard, but I am miffed that I've never actually seen them in it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/21/23 1:48 p.m.
Duke said:
93EXCivic said:

I keep wanting a minivan...

I guess I am getting smart.

FTFY.

Yeah - Swiss Army knife of vehicles.  Carry 7-8 people.  Haul car parts.  Camp out inside it.  Haul 4x8 plywood.  Road trip.  Tow a (light weight) car.  Way easier to load than an SUV.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/23 3:02 p.m.

Man, I seriously need a break from family drama. We get a little break and start to feel normal then it all starts up again. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/21/23 3:53 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Duke said:
93EXCivic said:

FTFY.

Yeah - Swiss Army knife of vehicles.  Carry 7-8 people.  Haul car parts.  Camp out inside it.  Haul 4x8 plywood.  Road trip.  Tow a (light weight) car.  Way easier to load than an SUV.

My thought was replace the Element and not buy a Land Cruiser or similar older three row SUV. Would allow me to haul stuff like my Element, tow like the three row SUV and carry more people if we wanted.

Wife said absolutely not though.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/21/23 5:13 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

My wife was not a huge fan of minivans until I bought one.  It is funny that they seem to hate them for being a "soccer mom-mobile", when most of the soccer moms drive CUVs now.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/22/23 10:53 a.m.

Oh, that's what we're doing today? Piss and moan and yell? At everything? If you start yelling at bacon, I'm not coming back for the rest of the day.

I should have gone to berking work.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/23 11:39 a.m.
nderwater said:

I'm not really irritated by the poop or trampled grass that the local deer leave in my back yard, but I am miffed that I've never actually seen them in it.

Alternative is they follow you around the yard.  The family of deer that hung out with us a couple years ago would do that.

It is cute and all but it is a couple hundred pounds of animal with hooves.  Not going to want to be there if they decide to get ornery.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/22/23 11:40 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Duke said:
93EXCivic said:

FTFY.

And the Sienna I just turned back in to the rental agency wasn't exactly slow.  I won't argue that it'd win a lot of street races but I was pleasantly surprised for the appliance it was.

A 401 CJ
4/22/23 11:48 a.m.
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

I finally learned to use ratchet straps properly two weeks ago. I've used cam lock straps for years, but never could figure out how ratchet straps actually worked, I'd thread the strap through a little bit, crank like crazy, everything would get jammed up, and then I'd give up. I watched a YouTube video two weeks ago and finally figured it out. It's amazing how well they work once so knew what I was doing :)

They are literally the greatest invention since sliced bread.  And let's not forget that they have other uses besides securing things.  Like as miniature winches.  I find them really handy for pulling things when I'm doing suspension work.  We also used their winching ability while building a deck last spring.

A 401 CJ
4/22/23 11:52 a.m.
so_slow said:

SWMBO has dementia and has had a rough 6 weeks. Just days after putting her into a memory care facility she fell and broke her arm. After that she was so terrified of falling that she would not stand or walk. A week later she had to have an unrelated abdominal surgery, was in the hospital for a total of 23 days and has been living on a liquid diet because she is refusing to start eating solid food again. She is now in a physical rehabilitation nursing home learning to stand and walk, but is still refusing solid food.

One neighbor had not seen her in weeks and asked if anything was wrong. I may have left him with the wrong impression when I, somewhat flustered, told him "She is in rehab, still drinking and refusing solid food". It did not occur to me until later how that might be interpreted.

Unfortunately it is all true, but sometimes you just have to laugh at an impossible situation.

When you can find humor in those situations you have won at life.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/22/23 3:01 p.m.

Well I can't tell you everything, but it had to do with an Ajman call girl that I found through here.......

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/22/23 7:20 p.m.

When I hear T-glottalization or an upward inflection, I reflexively assume the speaker is not to be taken seriously.  My repulsion varies on a sliding scale according to the speaker. If I hear both from a male speaker over the age of twenty, I stifle the urge to perform a surprise vasectomy. 

"Actually? All you have to do? Is push tha' bu'enn?" [slash slash slash]

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/23 7:24 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

When I hear T-glottalization or an upward inflection, I reflexively assume the speaker is not to be taken seriously.  My repulsion varies on a sliding scale according to the speaker. If I hear both from a male speaker over the age of twenty, I stifle the urge to perform a surprise vasectomy. 

"Actually? All you have to do? Is push tha' bu'enn?" [slash slash slash]

After the thingy in Boston a few hundred years ago, some people feel a need to hide their Ts.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/22/23 11:02 p.m.

So, hanging out with brother dustin and brother Dallas tonight. Dallas finally in a position to start getting his car back together (66 mustang. Off the road disassembled and drivetrainless since 2005). Discussing what he wants, and budgets, seeing what he has to start with....

I may have accidentally convinced him to do an aluminum 5.3 and 700r4 as his low budget way to an injected, reliable, overdrive 300hp mustang. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/23 11:11 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

You forgot the turbo cause we all know an LS swap requires a turbo.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/22/23 11:14 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

You forgot the turbo cause we all know an LS swap requires a turbo.

It was discussed. 

Im still trying to convince him of 302/t5 or 351/t5 though. Ls just feels wrong, even though it'd be cheaper and better on paper.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/23/23 6:16 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
nderwater said:

Alternative is they follow you around the yard.  The family of deer that hung out with us a couple years ago would do that.

It is cute and all but it is a couple hundred pounds of animal with hooves.  Not going to want to be there if they decide to get ornery.

this one knew when o would get home from work and wait at the mailbox for me. Once I'd petted it's head it would go to the front window and look in at the kids. I called the game warden and had it put down, crazy dangerous since it thought it was a puppy but could kill or disfigure easily.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/23/23 8:38 a.m.

I met a guy that teaches industrial classes at a middle school and is nearing retirement. 

He said to me - wow, you change your own oil?

I confess that reply surprised me. 

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
4/23/23 11:03 a.m.

I haven't been on much, too busy with life, but I have jumped back into film photography and it's been far more fun for me than digital.

So send me all your old film gear, especially if it's Minolta!

A 401 CJ
4/23/23 6:04 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I met a guy that teaches industrial classes at a middle school and is nearing retirement. 

He said to me - wow, you change your own oil?

I confess that reply surprised me. 

As a 53 year older curmudgeon, I must confess that I have never paid anyone to change my oils.  However, I'm starting to understand how it could be economically advantageous.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/23/23 7:37 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

I haven't either, and I don't see that changing any time soon

Dusterbd13-michael
4/24/23 9:58 p.m.

For no good reason Hennessey Honda of Woodstock popped in my head this evening. They are still tge high water mark of this forum for me. Other than Amy. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/23 11:00 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

I am interviewing for the first time tomorrow for a job that I think I want, that would be great but would mean giving up all of my 12 paid weeks of paternity leave. 23%+ pay raise though, and potential for even more earning via bonus. I haven't interviewed in 5 years and I'm pretty nervous.

"Your our guy! When can you start?"

"Twelve weeks from next Monday."

Srsly, 12 weeks is 23% of the work year, so first year at the new job is effectively a lateral move. berkeley that. If they want you they can wait 12 weeks.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/23 11:13 p.m.

Everyone says that a man's mid life crisis is buying a sports car.  I think mine is buying acreage and heavy machinery.  Not sure which is better or cheaper.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/24/23 11:16 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

For no good reason Hennessey Honda of Woodstock popped in my head this evening. They are still tge high water mark of this forum for me. Other than Amy. 

Fogger, jr ranks up there.

1 ... 415 416 417 418 419 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hG38y1aN5UTnNBoqliqztQolrO6bqxlApOm5lFa0u2joDt6BPMhwSRjkaa8Gzp7L