Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/19 5:29 p.m.

Fun? Oh, most definitely.  I'm not going EPA on you. laugh

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/15/19 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Might be best I scale back my Sopranos binge watching.  

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/15/19 5:35 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:
NickD said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

A friend of mine is painting his truck a satin metalflake purple. 

He insists on calling it purp. Not purple, but purp.

I want to punch him in the throat every time he does that.

While his inability to call it the right name is irritating, I applaud his choice in color. Signed, the guy with the purp rollbar.

I do too! He just needs punched in the throat so he can no longer speak until he learns to call it PURPLE .

whoa.  For some strange reason my cash-strapped ass was thinking would it be cool to replace the perfectly good tires on my '84 Sport with some Mickey Thompsons.  I thought naw as they'd be too bro-dozerish for city/suburb weekend runs but then I saw this ^^^. smiley

I saw those wheels and tires and immediately looked up at the engine bay hoping to see something that made power. I was sad to see the same lump that's in my truck. I do love that purple though.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/19 5:48 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Antihero :

That would have been fantastic! 

Yeah, we certainly seem to know how to pick them when it comes to contractors. This one is frustrating on a lot of levels- when they actually WORK they get a LOT done, but they never seem to work more multiple days in a row. That's supposed to change this weekend- but it was supposed to have changed a week ago as well...

All of this has firmed up our intent to try get competing bids for enclosing the supporting structure under the cabin- if we can be done with him once the cabin is habitable it can't be soon enough. Unfortunately after how completely simply moving around the materials on Friday and Saturday kicked my ass we've pretty much written off the possibility of my just taking a week or so off and doing it myself...

Got another rampagelaugh? I can be bribed lol

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/15/19 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I think they're cool.  Sure drag style but that's better than putting gnarlies on a beater truck like mine.  I'll have to check out other MT tires.  The wheels look awesome but my AR wheels will look good when I take them off and have them professionally re-done. smiley

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/19 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Heh, no unfortunately I just had the one (though there have been others around here). I may ping you off-forum to get your thoughts when it comes time to have him (and hopefully others) bid on enclosing the underside of the cabin.

Antihero
8/15/19 10:45 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Antihero :

Heh, no unfortunately I just had the one (though there have been others around here). I may ping you off-forum to get your thoughts when it comes time to have him (and hopefully others) bid on enclosing the underside of the cabin.

Sure, feel free to text anytime

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
8/15/19 11:00 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

You left your dial indicator at work? Or the shop mice stole it off the holder?

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/16/19 12:37 a.m.

can't berking sleep...

Antihero
8/16/19 1:10 a.m.

Why is it so hard to get an older f150 with a 300?

They are out there but literally all of them have had title issues, or major problems or flakey sellers It seems like an easy vehicle to get

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/16/19 1:58 a.m.

Stay up late because you aren't tired.

Got to work tired because you stayed up too late. 

Take unintentional naps after work because you are exhausted.

Forever.

Did I actually die?

Is this Hell?

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/19 7:39 a.m.

Just over a week ago:

Us: OK, is this all of the materials that you're going to need for a while?

Contractor: Yes, that should do it.

Us: OK, here you go. *drops off half a ton of wood that took UHaul's biggest trailer to transport along with our hot tub*

Yesterday:

Contractror: OK, I need another dozen 12-foot long planks of wood for the next step

Us: SERIOUSLY?!?!? You couldn't have included these, which you KNEW you were going to need, with the last batch when we had a 12-foot long trailer to transport them in?!?!

And that, your honor, is why I have 3 feet of wood sticking out of the back of my QX4 which I had to drive in to work today, and thanks to the disruption in routine forgot my work badge at home and had to get a temp one.

At least my computer is apparently going to be nice and not make me text home to have The Dancer give me the code off my authentication token to reconnect to our VPN...

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
8/16/19 7:41 a.m.

Client's bike has been dribbling gas into the right carb (freshly rebuilt). Carb filled up, overflowed into the cylinder, so now it needs another oil change. Took the intake boot off and half a cup of gas ran out, and that's uphill from the carb.

1. Since when do motorcycle carbs not have bowl overflow tubes?

So I figure its a float/float valve issue, shut the gas off from the tank, disconnect the fuel line from the carb, open the bowl drain and it won't stop dripping gas. Like, half an hour later and still dribbling. 

2. Where the berkeley is this gas coming from?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/16/19 8:01 a.m.

I ran out of diet mt dew....

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/19 9:21 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

That’s a good thing.  That stuff will kill you.  Seriously stop drinking soft drinks, it’s terrible in nearly all of its forms.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/16/19 9:34 a.m.
Stefan said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

That’s a good thing.  That stuff will kill you.  Seriously stop drinking soft drinks, it’s terrible in nearly all of its forms.

You don’t eat meat?

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/16/19 9:54 a.m.
Stefan said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I've heard the Dew Red stuff for reasons that were not disclosed is to be avoided.  But everything in moderation. smiley

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/19 11:22 a.m.

I keep getting text messages for recovering my Tinder account.

I do not have a Tinder account.

I am, however, picturing what might arise from somebody's spouse seeing that on their phone.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/16/19 11:53 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Just over a week ago:

Us: OK, is this all of the materials that you're going to need for a while?

Contractor: Yes, that should do it.

Us: OK, here you go. *drops off half a ton of wood that took UHaul's biggest trailer to transport along with our hot tub*

Yesterday:

Contractror: OK, I need another dozen 12-foot long planks of wood for the next step

Us: SERIOUSLY?!?!? You couldn't have included these, which you KNEW you were going to need, with the last batch when we had a 12-foot long trailer to transport them in?!?!

And that, your honor, is why I have 3 feet of wood sticking out of the back of my QX4 which I had to drive in to work today, and thanks to the disruption in routine forgot my work badge at home and had to get a temp one.

At least my computer is apparently going to be nice and not make me text home to have The Dancer give me the code off my authentication token to reconnect to our VPN...

I may have missed it,  but is there a reason they aren’t picking up the materials and dealing with all of that?  I’m building a new shop and having to constantly fetch supplies for the contractor would be exhausting.  They always find something that was missed or needs to be added to scope.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/16/19 12:25 p.m.

Mom's Durango has started the random electrical gremlin fits. I'm mildly concerned.

j_tso
j_tso New Reader
8/16/19 8:39 p.m.

I bought 3 rolls of packing tape months ago.

Finally ran out of the first roll and the last 2 evenings been tearing up the place looking for the other 2.

Of course I'm going to buy another 3 pack.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
8/16/19 10:17 p.m.

Went to  a concert tonight at the Coral Sky amphitheater in West Palm Beach. Pretty big show, thousands of people. The venue management and staff were horrible. I'd be embarrassed if I was the event coordinator there. I have lots of time to write this because now I'm home instead of enjoying a show.

Arrived at the site to a parking lot entry that was set up with tall orange cones like it was a 1/4 mile autocross for go karts. I'm driving an 8' bed crew cab dually F-350 with the turning radius of an ocean liner. Oh, it's pouring rain and very dark because no lights. I make it in with no cone penalties albeit very slowly.

I arrange my things so I can walk in the rain and I know I'm far from the amphitheater because I can't even see it, or lights from it. People are walking in very different directions, so I ask a few if they know where they are going. They reply they're just following other people because they don't know where to go. Having been to the fairgrounds several times in the past I know the general direction I should go, so I do. There should be something or someone to get folks headed the right direction.

By the time I get near the gates into the event (1/2 ? mile from where I parked)  my shoes/socks are soaked through, although I do have a big umbrella so head &  shoulders are dry. It's raining pretty hard and with no lights in the parking lot I couldn't see puddles several inches deep. As I got closer to the gate people were hurriedly leaving carrying lawn chairs, umbrellas, coolers etc., upon questioning about why they were leaving they just grumbled and didn't slow their pace a bit. Not a good sign. Lights would be a nice thing, maybe they could turn them on for events after dark?

When I get to a gate I ask where to buy tickets as it wasn't obvious. I was told "The main ticket box office". I'm not happy as I know it's about 1/4 mile away so another 1/2 mile total in the rain on foot to go fetch a ticket. I head off as I'm familiar with this section of the grounds. Maybe set up a booth somewhere near the amphitheater to sell tickets, they're on wheels. Why leave them soooo far away?

I pass a table under a big tent where a bunch of staff are sitting who watch me walk by and head down a long parking lot toward the box office. I pass a tour bus parked there and stop for a pic of it, dunno why,  in the rain.  I get to the end of the lot to find a new 10' chain link fence since I was there last, great.... I scan the lot and realize I'm going to have to go all the way back to where I entered the lot, exit, and walk all the way around the lot increasing the 1/4 mile each way even more. So I head back past the tour bus and as I'm almost back to the entrance a guy who had been sitting under the tent previously comes out and wants to see my security pass. "Ya, don't have one of those". I start grumbling like the old man I'm becoming and walk away in a gruff. Why didn't staff stop me from entering the "security pass required" area?

At this point I'm soaked, frustrated, and mildly pissed at the security people while looking at another 1/2 mile walk in pouring rain to drop 50-100 bucks on a ticket and then get back to the event where I'll have the privilege of standing out in the rain with soaking wet feet for a couple hours before I go home just so I can see my buddy play the drums. So I left to go home, rather than walk around the lot to buy a ticket.

Walking back to my truck I realize I was one of the very last vehicles they allowed in the huge parking lot, then they diverted people to a different part of the fairgrounds. There's at least a couple hundred empty spaces that are closer to the amphitheater yet I'm parked at the farthest end of the lot.....and I'm walking..... In the rain..... At this point I'm glad I refused to pay for this fiasco and get in my truck. Now, I can't leave because the entrance go kart autocross course is still set up and blocked off. There's no way set up to exit nor are there any arrows, signs, lights, or anything else to give one a sense of direction to any exits at all. So I drive around for like 15 minutes trying to find gaps in jersey barrier walls & cone trails before I finally get out of the place. Event parking isn't that hard to do, yet.....apparently they haven't figured it out.

I just wanted to see my friend play a show at a local venue and I'd been waiting, but the venue sucked so I got mad, left, never saw the bands.   Spent an hour each way driving and 1/2 hour walking around the fairgrounds soaked. Although he lives here he flies out every weekend when they're on tour so it's not like I can easily go to another show. Tomorrow nights show is on the other side of FL in Tampa several hours away and I think that's it for FL shows this time round. I was at his house earlier today before he left for the show and he knew I was going so I'm dreading telling him how bad my experience was when he asks how I liked the show.  No fault of the bands, just the venue.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/16/19 10:42 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

At that point, I'd have just started boosting the cones. Mine now, motherberkeleyers.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/16/19 10:47 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Got to work tired because you stayed up too late. 

Take unintentional naps after work because you are exhausted.

Forever.

Did I actually die?

Is this Hell?

Oh, God, it's happening again.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
8/16/19 11:00 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

At that point, I'd have just started boosting the cones. Mine now, motherberkeleyers.

Pouring rain or that might have occurred!

1 ... 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5hcywr5URiNoGStZYkbkeEEKMZuzzBxFABvla223MHj9nyl2yQ4F6xKdshUCJrHw