1 ... 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 ... 1927
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/19 11:27 p.m.

5am till midnight so we could put aerosmith on our stage.. and my boss wants me back in at 7 to clean up the mess? Not happening. My partner for the day will be in at 7.. I will be in at 9. Right now I am waiting to jump in the shower because my girlfriend, who has been home all day, decided to wait till I got home to take a bath

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 3:55 p.m.

I’m three hours late leaving this Saturday because...(Spins wheel of clusterberkeleys)...Someone broke their scanner, can’t figure out fax machine and I’m the only manager they could reach to forward tomorrow’s work.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/17/19 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

You've reminded me of the number of times I've typed up notes for day shift explaining why a a machine appears to be malfunctioning or something of the sort with "PS, the printer is out of black ink" at the bottom. Usually printed in some other color.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 7:25 p.m.

Ugh.  Too hungry to eat.  Nothing looks appetizing, like there's something my body is missing and it won't tell me what that is.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
8/17/19 8:00 p.m.

Frustrating being a 'car guy' and also a cyclist, some of the guys I race with are sharing memes about how bikes shouldn't be on the road, deserve to be hit, etc.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
8/17/19 8:31 p.m.

We need to teach kids the classics.  After a odd occurence at work, my son busted out "Strange things are afoot . . . at the Chick-fil-a" and got no response.  Have these children never heard of Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Ted "Theodore" Logan?  How will we ever usher in world peace and align the planets?  It's like George Carlin time traveled for nothing.  

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/17/19 8:38 p.m.

So there I was. Needing to get out the house for a bit I got in the truck and drove around randomly for a bit. Ended up stopping in the walmart parking lot, just sitting there, thinking about random crap, flipping through my phone for a bit. And then some douche canoe in what I think was a Saturn Ion pulls in and starts bouncing his garbage off rev limiter a few spots over from me. 

Sadly you cannot assert dominance in that situation with a stock cam low compression TBI 350. So I shook my head and left.

TJL
TJL Reader
8/17/19 8:41 p.m.

When im trying to browse the GRM forums and some e36 m3 keeps spam blasting it!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/17/19 9:48 p.m.
Daylan C said:

So there I was. Needing to get out the house for a bit I got in the truck and drove around randomly for a bit. Ended up stopping in the walmart parking lot, just sitting there, thinking about random crap, flipping through my phone for a bit. And then some douche canoe in what I think was a Saturn Ion pulls in and starts bouncing his garbage off rev limiter a few spots over from me. 

Sadly you cannot assert dominance in that situation with a stock cam low compression TBI 350. So I shook my head and left.

That’s when you just turn to them, put your hand up, and slowly give them a thumbs down.

mad_machine
8/17/19 11:26 p.m.
SnowMongoose said:

Frustrating being a 'car guy' and also a cyclist, some of the guys I race with are sharing memes about how bikes shouldn't be on the road, deserve to be hit, etc.

I know the feeling. Granted, a few cyclists probably do deserve to get the E36 M3 scared out of them by the way they ride.

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
8/18/19 7:47 a.m.

Smells like E36 M3 in the house and can’t figure out where it’s coming from

wae
wae SuperDork
8/18/19 8:40 a.m.

Replacing the field coil, pulley, and clutch on my dad's truck is taking way more time and effort than it should.

mad_machine
8/18/19 11:05 a.m.
MrSmokey said:

Smells like E36 M3 in the house and can’t figure out where it’s coming from

check your shoes?

my minor rant. I needed some thule feet to set up my disco for carrying my kayak and the mast to my sailboat. I thought I was getting the 11" tall ones to clear the tall part of the roof. I accidently bought the 8" instead.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/18/19 2:01 p.m.

Somebody has their kid playing the damn baby shark song on their phone in this restaurant. Just loud enough to be barely audible from this side of the room.

This is why I hate people in general.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/18/19 2:08 p.m.
mad_machine said:
SnowMongoose said:

I know the feeling. Granted, a few cyclists probably do deserve to get the E36 M3 scared out of them by the way they ride.

pretty certain one of those rideshare cyclists did that all to himself y'day evening but luckily the driver was tootling around.  Had it been anyone of the other shiny happy people I was around y'day he'd have been layed out and I wouldn't have cared especially given the E36 M3ty expression he had. indecision

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/18/19 10:50 p.m.

Short version:

I got bumped by a car that left their lane earlier today. They sped off. I have some white paint on the rear bumper skin that I'm hoping will mostly buff out.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/18/19 11:30 p.m.

Vacuum forming table is put together but I need a better way to heat the plastic and it needs to be clamped down tighter than what I came up with.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/19/19 8:53 a.m.

Yesterday we celebrated my "grandfather"'s birthday (he's not actually blood related but I've known him all my life and my father has known him for 50 years). So we're at the party and his actual (worthless) grandson had gotten married the day before. I must have heard 5 different times about how "Oh, the photographer at the wedding yesterday said that she used to date you." Yes, meaning she's my ex-girlfriend (and this is the one that I really beat myself up over losing), so can we please stop talking about this subject?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/19/19 8:59 a.m.
wae said:

Vacuum forming table is put together but I need a better way to heat the plastic and it needs to be clamped down tighter than what I came up with.

How are you clamping it?  My father had a small side company making tools and parts for the R/C modeling hobbyist.  They designed and sold a thing called the Formicator (pun intended) that was used to vacuform sheets of ABS about legal pad size.  They used a kind of picture frame affair machined out of poplar that was fitted over a vacuum table you powered with a home vacuum. 

The frame had wing nuts about 3" on center around the perimeter, and that seemed adequate.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/19/19 9:25 a.m.

In reply to Cotton :

It's in the contract that we're responsible for purchasing materials, but the contractor has been a bit of a pain about meeting up and getting said materials with his box truck (which makes the most sense since he drives it to the jobsite so the materials would go with him). It's one of the things that he threw out in his rant (the one time he met up with me at Lowe's to get materials) as to how great of a guy he was. At this point we're not inclined to add anything that isn't absolutely necessary to the scope of things (will get to ranting about that shortly...) and since there should not be much more materials-wise to deal with we're not arguing.

Main rant on:

With the contractor's blow-up last week where he was about to quit due to our (doing what he had recommended and) paying his tile guy directly without directly involving him, we've been forced to walk a line that we really don't like- having to check calling him out on things that we think aren't quite right with whether we think it will set him off and cause him to walk away. 

Case in point: A while back when looking things over at the cabin, he noted that there were a lot of gaps and openings that needed to be sealed which we certainly agreed with. He said that he had a professional-grade foam sprayer that he would bring out and go over the whole cabin with and fill in any openings to keep the elements and wildlife out as best as possible. Cost for this: $700. Fast forward to a week and a half or so ago when we dropped off the huge load of materials. I was looking around and noted that OK, they had filled in a number of the gaps- but there were still a number that still needed to be filled. He had said that the sprayer was really easy to use and he'd leave it there in case we noticed anything that they'd missed, so I looked around to see if I could find it. Well, what I found was an empty can of Great Stuff spray foam- and eventually looking a bit in the garbage bag (they were right at the top) yielded about 10 cans total of it- so it was CLEAR that they weren't using any kind of fancy professional gun and just using $5 (max) cans of foam from Lowe's- and probably hadn't used more than $70 of it. So when we talked with him yesterday to check up on things and he noted that they planned to get started on insulating and putting up the interior wall coverings, we asked whether they would be finishing filling in the gaps with his 'professional foam gun'. He THEN says, "Yeah, sorry about that- we already used NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS of foam and I badly underestimated, but that's on me so I'll just have to eat the cost of the rest of it."

This is QUITE CLEARLY bullE36 M3- but we're afraid that if we call him on it he'll just walk away and we'll be left with essentially all of the interior work to either finish ourselves or have to hire ANOTHER contractor to do. Theoretically they'll have the insulating and about half of the interior wall covering done by Wednesday. I intend to go out there Tuesday evening under the guise of picking up the tile glue that was lef over to use myself for the fireplace enclosure I'm building to see if they're gotten the gaps filled or not- because if they just put the insulation and tonge-in-groove up without doing that we'll never know about it...

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
8/19/19 9:47 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Cotton :

It's in the contract that we're responsible for purchasing materials, but the contractor has been a bit of a pain about meeting up and getting said materials with his box truck (which makes the most sense since he drives it to the jobsite so the materials would go with him). It's one of the things that he threw out in his rant (the one time he met up with me at Lowe's to get materials) as to how great of a guy he was. At this point we're not inclined to add anything that isn't absolutely necessary to the scope of things (will get to ranting about that shortly...) and since there should not be much more materials-wise to deal with we're not arguing.

Main rant on:

With the contractor's blow-up last week where he was about to quit due to our (doing what he had recommended and) paying his tile guy directly without directly involving him, we've been forced to walk a line that we really don't like- having to check calling him out on things that we think aren't quite right with whether we think it will set him off and cause him to walk away. 

Case in point: A while back when looking things over at the cabin, he noted that there were a lot of gaps and openings that needed to be sealed which we certainly agreed with. He said that he had a professional-grade foam sprayer that he would bring out and go over the whole cabin with and fill in any openings to keep the elements and wildlife out as best as possible. Cost for this: $700. Fast forward to a week and a half or so ago when we dropped off the huge load of materials. I was looking around and noted that OK, they had filled in a number of the gaps- but there were still a number that still needed to be filled. He had said that the sprayer was really easy to use and he'd leave it there in case we noticed anything that they'd missed, so I looked around to see if I could find it. Well, what I found was an empty can of Great Stuff spray foam- and eventually looking a bit in the garbage bag (they were right at the top) yielded about 10 cans total of it- so it was CLEAR that they weren't using any kind of fancy professional gun and just using $5 (max) cans of foam from Lowe's- and probably hadn't used more than $70 of it. So when we talked with him yesterday to check up on things and he noted that they planned to get started on insulating and putting up the interior wall coverings, we asked whether they would be finishing filling in the gaps with his 'professional foam gun'. He THEN says, "Yeah, sorry about that- we already used NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS of foam and I badly underestimated, but that's on me so I'll just have to eat the cost of the rest of it."

This is QUITE CLEARLY bullE36 M3- but we're afraid that if we call him on it he'll just walk away and we'll be left with essentially all of the interior work to either finish ourselves or have to hire ANOTHER contractor to do. Theoretically they'll have the insulating and about half of the interior wall covering done by Wednesday. I intend to go out there Tuesday evening under the guise of picking up the tile glue that was lef over to use myself for the fireplace enclosure I'm building to see if they're gotten the gaps filled or not- because if they just put the insulation and tonge-in-groove up without doing that we'll never know about it...

Call him out on it and find another contractor or finish yourself. It's twice as much work to tear out and fix bad work later and if he lied and did a crappy job on a little thing like spray foam he's probably doing it on the whole job.

This advice comes from someone who fixes other peoples crappy work many years later.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/19/19 10:05 a.m.
Duke said:
wae said:

How are you clamping it?  My father had a small side company making tools and parts for the R/C modeling hobbyist.  They designed and sold a thing called the Formicator (pun intended) that was used to vacuform sheets of ABS about legal pad size.  They used a kind of picture frame affair machined out of poplar that was fitted over a vacuum table you powered with a home vacuum. 

The frame had wing nuts about 3" on center around the perimeter, and that seemed adequate.

Uh, I may have slightly overstated the actual force that was in use when I chose the word "clamping".  I made a grooved frame in which I slid the plastic and then I tried gripping the edges.  Look; it was late, I was tired, and I was just basically working with what was right in front of me at the time.  Did I know that it probably wasn't going to work?  Damn straight I did!  Did I let that slow me down one iota?  Hell.  No.

I do, however, greatly appreciate that bit of info.  I was thinking that some countersunk bolts sticking up from the bottom part of the clamping frame would probably be a decent solution, and that confirms it.  

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/19/19 10:13 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

um yeah you need to document his lies.  That's probably gone beyond misdemeanor theft at $700 and continuing the work relationship isn't going to help you legally.  Or just fire him and deal with the fall out.  That behavior would leave him awful sore where I grew up.  Awful sore and a pretty far and wide reputation he'd never recover from.

I know it's an old saying but if you want a job done well you have to do it yourself.  That guy is dangerous.  And I mean that.  That's some high level lying right there.  indecision

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/19/19 11:07 a.m.

Holy crap!  Too bad Ryan’s up here in Cincy.  He’s the first person I call when looking for a contractor for anything, because he seems to have a list of the good ones.

Edit:  I wonder if some people become contractors because there is no way they’d be able to hold a job otherwise.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
8/19/19 12:49 p.m.

In my experience of life and building a house, you should be all over it. You don’t need to make an excuse to go look at the house.  

Be confident and firm. Don’t accuse him about the foam, but don’t take any bs excuse either.  Just ask questions and let him make his own bed.  Ask what the spray foam was for if not for the gaps. Ask to see a receipt for the $900. 

But, without being privy to the rest of your experience with him, it sounds like you should get someone else. 

Definitely do NOT pay in full until you are satisfied that the work is done to your reasonable satisfaction. 

Trust me.  Many guys will come to you with a sob story of needing the $$ for x reason.  Do not pay.   It is the only leverage you have. 

Also, you should absolutely talk to any and all vendors and subs he used to verify IN WRITING that they are paid in full.   

It is common for contractors to stiff these guys and then they have a legal right to come after you and you will be paying that bill again.  It happens all the time and there is usually nothing you can do. 

Don’t be scared of this guy   You’re the boss. 

1 ... 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G76OPL9q53C8Q8i9iiC0Fbvy6vL5qK1xhmXkxzw2ExqH7V2PKDUbXWM4nNPcNnp8