1 ... 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 ... 1929
Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 2:17 p.m.
EvanB said:

In reply to Knurled. :

There is an 04 s60r that has been on facebook marketplace for awhile in Akron for $1000, slightly crashed. 

Of course then you need space for a whole car. 

If the engine comes out, a 81mm bore block goes in.  This has been understood since before I bought the car.

I am going to do some researching while waiting for the salt to stop falling so I can drive an RX-7.  I probably will want to send the head out to be skimmed and the valves/seats cut, anyway.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/22/20 2:31 p.m.

Our Mazda 5 has a p0101, and I can't find any vacuum leaks and I've replaced the map sensor already (it was relatively cheap). It also feels like the rear suspension is shaking itself apart again. And the transmission is shifting funny/hesitating. 

I'm sick of this piece of E36 M3. 

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/22/20 2:35 p.m.

What is the deal with people leaving their cars at the pumps?  It's freezing here in Maine.  I go to gas up, there are eight pumps at my station.  Half of them have cars parked with no drivers in sight.  My pump had some type of issue with the computer, I waited, still nothing.  I gave up and went to another empty pump.  As I was leaving I realized that every pump that was occupied still had a car or truck there.  

If I go and pump gas, I pull to a different spot while going into the store.  What the H is with people?  

Thanks for listening.  I feel better now.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/22/20 2:37 p.m.
thedoc said:

What the H is with people? 

They're people.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/20 2:48 p.m.
Duke said:
thedoc said:

What the H is with people? 

They're people.

And people are inconsiderate shiny happy people.

Knurled.
1/22/20 3:01 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
EvanB said:

In reply to Knurled. :

There is an 04 s60r that has been on facebook marketplace for awhile in Akron for $1000, slightly crashed. 

Of course then you need space for a whole car. 

Dumpster and sawzall. Problem solves itself. 

That's great if you would enjoy a tour of the state penal system.

Last time I scrapped a car, they took photos, copies of my photo ID, and fingerprints.  It is way easier to buy a car than scrap one.

I'm okay with this.  Shady tow truck drivers would pick up cars on the street and drag them in for scrap, straight from the curb to the scrapyard.  Car crushed and gone before you even woke up.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/22/20 3:03 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Just take half the car. Need a title and a bajilkion other things to take a whole car to the scrapper, don't need anything for half a car.

Knurled.
1/22/20 3:03 p.m.
cmcgregor said:

Our Mazda 5 has a p0101, and I can't find any vacuum leaks and I've replaced the map sensor already (it was relatively cheap). It also feels like the rear suspension is shaking itself apart again. And the transmission is shifting funny/hesitating. 

I'm sick of this piece of E36 M3. 

Clean the throttle body and the MAF.  Trans shifting problems are usually input related and the MAF is what the trans controller uses to determine load (well, it uses the engine load parameter, which is derived from MAF).

Might also be loose pins on the MAF connector.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/22/20 3:04 p.m.

Here, if it no longer resembles a car, youre good. Just need a driver's license. 

I love my state.

Knurled.
1/22/20 3:05 p.m.
thedoc said:

What is the deal with people leaving their cars at the pumps?  It's freezing here in Maine.  I go to gas up, there are eight pumps at my station.  Half of them have cars parked with no drivers in sight.  My pump had some type of issue with the computer, I waited, still nothing.  I gave up and went to another empty pump.  As I was leaving I realized that every pump that was occupied still had a car or truck there.  

If I go and pump gas, I pull to a different spot while going into the store.  What the H is with people?  

Thanks for listening.  I feel better now.

I like to pay inside, if they are having a snafu inside too (like waiting 30 minutes in line for someone dealing with an account problem, while there are not enough employees present to operate more than one register) then that sort of thing happens.

Knurled.
1/22/20 3:07 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Just take half the car. Need a title and a bajilkion other things to take a whole car to the scrapper, don't need anything for half a car.

That WAS half a car.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/22/20 3:19 p.m.

I saw a cool handmade knife on Etsy, it was a Nepalese shop that had a lot of stock and many of each. Considered buying it but waited a bit.

Shop is totally gone now

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/20 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I found a dude that made absolutely stunning handmade rosewood and cocobolo grips on Etsy. Each set was unique and numbered. For months, I kept looking at a set of rosewood grips for my 1911. He was based in Puerto Rico. I hesitated on buying a set then Hurricane Maria happened and his store disappeared.

I hope he survived sad

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/22/20 4:03 p.m.

Just found out that our local grocery store is going out of business- all around the country.  Lucky's Market.

That sucks bad, as we now have a long drive to get groceries.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/22/20 4:15 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

In reply to Antihero :

I found a dude that made absolutely stunning handmade rosewood and cocobolo grips on Etsy. Each set was unique and numbered. For months, I kept looking at a set of rosewood grips for my 1911. He was based in Puerto Rico. I hesitated on buying a set then Hurricane Maria happened and his store disappeared.

I hope he survived sad

Hopefully that didn't happen, I don't know anything happening in Nepal.

There's a chance Etsy shut them down for whatever reason and they will restart......it's just annoying. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/22/20 4:41 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

We used to have one here that unfortunately closed several years ago- we didn't shop there as our primary grocery store as it was well out of the way but tended to stop in at least once a month because they had a lot of really good stuff there. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/22/20 4:54 p.m.

Here goes cummins again.. more of my old colleagues hitting the bricks..

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
1/22/20 5:11 p.m.

My Expedition has been kicking my ass these last few weeks. It seized a wheel bearing on our 12 hour drive home, kicking off a rescue effort lasting 12 hours. 

Took a week to get to the junkyard and grab a new part, got home and realized the spindle nut "retainer" was missing - both the old one, and the one from the junkyard spindle. Also realized the LBJ is totally borked. 

Got a new nut retainer, dropped the car, and I had killed the battery by leaving it in ACC mode to be able to turn the wheel and hook up the tie rods. Jumped it and let it run, awesome. Went to drive yesterday morning, battery dead. Jumped it and drove it last night - great, back on the road.

Today it developed a misfire just like one it had a few weeks ago, that went away by wiggling Coil on plug wires. Went to wiggle the wires again, and the front coil was loose....

Limped home, and looked to realize that the "bolt" holding it in is actually a very blue screw, looking very out of place. Last person to touch this would have been the shop that did the spark plugs/intake gaskets over a year ago. UGH. Now I'm assuming the mounting boss is stripped, or still has part of the old bolt in it. 

E36 M3.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/22/20 5:25 p.m.

Every day at work a lady from a different department brings her little dog 2-3 times over so my neighbors can see it. Each time is a 10+ minute affair and there are 3-5 people talking while I'm trying to concentrate. I know more about this dog than I do about most of the people I work with. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/22/20 5:50 p.m.

I am by no means a computer expert, but I use one quite a bit.  I can handle most everything...Except if I want to cancel a print job.  Click the button to print a 68 page document instead of the single page report.  Click cancel print.  nothingnothingnothing, open printer window, it says "deleting".  Well, no, its not.  Burrow down into the bowels of the control panel, find the document, delete it, restart machine, and finally the single page document prints three times, because thats how long it took for me to figure out what was going on.

What the hell is it about deleting a print job that makes Windows lose its berkeleying mind?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/22/20 5:55 p.m.
Knurled. said:

Incidentally, fairly sure this is where the coolant has been going at the rate of about a quart every 2-3 months.  And that this is what killed the converter.  I only checked it today because we are dead, and sometimes the low coolant light will come on while under boost for more than 5-10 seconds.  (Level is not low)  I think the coolant in the tank was getting aerated enough that the float stopped floating.

Also, am fairly sure this is all entirely because I dropped $800 on a new converter yesterday.

Lift the carpet on the drivers side and make sure the orings on the heater core are not drooling.  Plus, every Volvo loses a bit of mystery coolant to appease the Norse gods.

Minor head gasket failures on a white block Volvo are exceedingly rare.  In the 20 years I've been working on them,I've had one leaking externally because of a fractured head bolt, and I've seen a couple that would spew all the coolant in the engine onto the ceiling when revving the engine.  Minor?  thats GM territory.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/22/20 5:56 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets :

That's a tapcon. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 6:00 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I am by no means a computer expert, but I use one quite a bit.  I can handle most everything...Except if I want to cancel a print job.  Click the button to print a 68 page document instead of the single page report.  Click cancel print.  nothingnothingnothing, open printer window, it says "deleting".  Well, no, its not.  Burrow down into the bowels of the control panel, find the document, delete it, restart machine, and finally the single page document prints three times, because thats how long it took for me to figure out what was going on.

What the hell is it about deleting a print job that makes Windows lose its berkeleying mind?

For computer experts we have the same problem.  Printing in Windows is nonsense and even for skilled folks killing a printjob can be difficult.  Basically it isn't you, its Windows.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
1/22/20 6:55 p.m.
Sonic said:

Greg, if you want to run questions by someone in the industry in your state who has no stake in your situation, let me know.  abbottcd at the gmails 

Many thanks for the offer.  Email sent!

Knurled.
1/22/20 9:34 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Knurled. said:

Incidentally, fairly sure this is where the coolant has been going at the rate of about a quart every 2-3 months.  And that this is what killed the converter.  I only checked it today because we are dead, and sometimes the low coolant light will come on while under boost for more than 5-10 seconds.  (Level is not low)  I think the coolant in the tank was getting aerated enough that the float stopped floating.

Also, am fairly sure this is all entirely because I dropped $800 on a new converter yesterday.

Lift the carpet on the drivers side and make sure the orings on the heater core are not drooling.  Plus, every Volvo loses a bit of mystery coolant to appease the Norse gods.

Minor head gasket failures on a white block Volvo are exceedingly rare.  In the 20 years I've been working on them,I've had one leaking externally because of a fractured head bolt, and I've seen a couple that would spew all the coolant in the engine onto the ceiling when revving the engine.  Minor?  thats GM territory.

It's most likely not the head gasket that failed, the 83mm blocks crack on top where Volvo cut a channel between the cylinders. It is very thin there. It technically can happen to any 2.5l block but the B5254T4 (in both S60R/V70R, and Focus RS) are known for it probably because they have the boost screw turned all the way up.   German tuners sell shim kits to wedge the channel closed and give the top of the bore some strength, people who don't want to spend $200 for five pieces of shim stock will buy a set of feeler gauges from Harbor Freight and make their own shims.  Or just build an engine with an 81mm bore block, which apparently doesn't need to be shimmed until north of 600hp.

What gets me is that it seemed like if you were going to have this happen with a stock tune, it would have happened very early in the car's life.  I have over twice the miles where the cracking issue would present itself.  The cracking issue is 100% why I wanted to leave the tune stock, too...

1 ... 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qinzrmIrvpBGQvuUbbvZXK140GzkiBJcrzkhZLTsN0sqfuR9QtHsHEX0Y9sm5r0p