1 ... 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 ... 1926
Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/20 11:14 p.m.
Mike said:
MrChaos said:

In reply to Mike :

it is hard to find good phones these days, Motorola has burned me too many times on orphaning android devices, LG is meh, The pixels of late have been meh at best, Samsung is doing the thing you said, and having verizon means I dont have many choices.  Though the apple watch does intrigue ne and I do have an ipad since there is basically nothing else in the 10" tablet market.  I have a s9 which is OK,  I wish the nokia 9 would work on verizon the 9.1 might.

Ooh, I forgot about LG. Hey have that dual screen thingy. 

I've not had any issues with my iPhones.  They've just worked for me.  Every single Android product I've known or used has been a half-hearted attempt at best, full of very little polish or common vision.  I work on Windows computers and servers all day long.  I don't have time to diagnose and fix my berkeleying phones.  Tablets are another thing, they aren't critical, so I'll play with them if I have to.  Phone?  Yeah, the SYNC3 and UConnect in our cars works great with our iPhones.  Calls/texts work, Pandora, etc. works.  There's a reason they are as popular as they are.  Get a refurb from the local Apple store or online and get on with life (or a new one if you're feeling flush), they'll get the phone working with your carrier for you and transfer things over, etc.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/24/20 6:05 a.m.

Just woke up from a nightmare in which I was married to my cheating vajajay ex-wife.  It's been almost 10 years brain, those can stop now thank you very much!

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/20 7:14 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Just wait until an aging family member starts losing their mental faculties and starts asking where she is, how she's doing, etc.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/20 8:37 a.m.

Ok shoulder, it's been a week now, you can quit feeling like there's a knife in you any time. 

Knurled.
1/24/20 3:09 p.m.
mad_machine said:
stanger_missle said:

Finally got around to changing the oil in the Ram today. The auto hobby shop was a ghost town when I got there at 1530. There was one other car and he was pulling out as I got there. There has been quite a lot of personnel turnover at the shop the last 6 months or so. It seems like everytime I go there, there is somebody I haven't seen before working there. There were only two people working today; a very attractive Hispanic woman at the counter and a retired Navy Senior Chief out in the bays. The SCPO runs me through a quick training session even though I am been there probably 100 times. I have to sign a card saying I have been properly trained on the lifts and various tools. I don't mind though because it shows that they are trying to improve things around there. The SCPO guides me onto the lift. He starts BSing with me and is hilarious. We complained about our exwives and he told dirty jokes. Super cool guy. I also notice that I have never seen the shop as clean and organized as I did today. I was stationed here for 4 years while on active duty and the shop was always a disorganized disaster. That makes me happy that someone wants to improve it. The SCPO states that he was appalled at how things were run before so he's trying to fix all of the issues. I hope he gets support from the Mission Support Group (aka funding).

Anyways, now the minor rant part. I always research to death any procedure I want to do well in advance of doing the work. People online complain about the oil filter placement on the Hemi powered Rams. Now I can see why:

The oil filter is directly over the electric power steering rack. So when you loosen the filter, the oil drops right onto the top of the rack assembly and splatters EVERYWHERE. Not only that but you cannot remove the filter without tilting it so that it fits between the rack and trans lines, which drops more oil onto the rack, which splatters more oil EVERYWHERE. Such a stupid berkeleying design. I took a shower of hot oil while trying to pull the puzzle piece out before my hands burned.

A popular thing to do is buy a remote oil filter kit and mount it in front of the engine on the frame.

I'll be buying one and will install it at the next oil change.

or punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and letting it drain?

I have one of these infecting my bay right now.  Here's a direct from beneath view.

Here's me shifting to the rear of the truck so you can see the filter.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/24/20 3:53 p.m.

If I have to hear one more person from NJ give the "You know, New Jersey is actually really like 3 different states....." speech Im gonna hurl.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/20 5:06 p.m.

The person who decreed that all school buses need a big, high output white strobe light on top flashing at all times should be locked in a dark room with one for all eternity. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/24/20 6:26 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Just woke up from a nightmare..........those can stop now thank you very much!

I have dreams I'm still meeting up with or spending time with one of my high school girlfriends - not "always" sexual in nature but I wake up really serious and spend the first hour of my day in intense thought.  

Forty years later.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/24/20 6:37 p.m.

People who don't turn on their turn signal until they actually start turning.

E_NinjA
E_NinjA New Reader
1/24/20 7:25 p.m.
Knurled. said:
mad_machine said:
stanger_missle said:

Finally got around to changing the oil in the Ram today. The auto hobby shop was a ghost town when I got there at 1530. There was one other car and he was pulling out as I got there. There has been quite a lot of personnel turnover at the shop the last 6 months or so. It seems like everytime I go there, there is somebody I haven't seen before working there. There were only two people working today; a very attractive Hispanic woman at the counter and a retired Navy Senior Chief out in the bays. The SCPO runs me through a quick training session even though I am been there probably 100 times. I have to sign a card saying I have been properly trained on the lifts and various tools. I don't mind though because it shows that they are trying to improve things around there. The SCPO guides me onto the lift. He starts BSing with me and is hilarious. We complained about our exwives and he told dirty jokes. Super cool guy. I also notice that I have never seen the shop as clean and organized as I did today. I was stationed here for 4 years while on active duty and the shop was always a disorganized disaster. That makes me happy that someone wants to improve it. The SCPO states that he was appalled at how things were run before so he's trying to fix all of the issues. I hope he gets support from the Mission Support Group (aka funding).

Anyways, now the minor rant part. I always research to death any procedure I want to do well in advance of doing the work. People online complain about the oil filter placement on the Hemi powered Rams. Now I can see why:

The oil filter is directly over the electric power steering rack. So when you loosen the filter, the oil drops right onto the top of the rack assembly and splatters EVERYWHERE. Not only that but you cannot remove the filter without tilting it so that it fits between the rack and trans lines, which drops more oil onto the rack, which splatters more oil EVERYWHERE. Such a stupid berkeleying design. I took a shower of hot oil while trying to pull the puzzle piece out before my hands burned.

A popular thing to do is buy a remote oil filter kit and mount it in front of the engine on the frame.

I'll be buying one and will install it at the next oil change.

or punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and letting it drain?

I have one of these infecting my bay right now.  Here's a direct from beneath view.

Here's me shifting to the rear of the truck so you can see the filter.

The 2WD rams aren't nearly so bad. To be completely honest, I always just let them drain onto the rack while I inspect the brakes/tires/air pressure. Then, come back and pull off the filter and with a little bit of brake clean the rack comes clean. 4WD... totally different story. I intentionally make those customers drop their vehicle off so it can cool down before draining.

Knurled.
1/24/20 8:14 p.m.

In reply to E_NinjA :

This one wasn't bad to get to at all, just thread your arm through the trans cooler lines from the frontand it's right there.  Way easier than on, say, a Ecoboost F-150. But it makes a huge mess.  (Like, say, an Ecoboost F-150)

Now, let's also have a discussion about where ZF decided to put the transmission drain and fill plugs on the 8-speed unit, and where Chrysler decided to put the exhaust crossover.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/20 9:27 p.m.
logdog said:

If I have to hear one more person from NJ give the "You know, New Jersey is actually really like 3 different states....." speech Im gonna hurl.  

If you ever spent time in the Garden State, you might be surprised about the differences from the Northern End to the Southern. As for Central NJ, It doesn't exist. What is funny though, if you ask somebody from North Jersey and somebody from South Jersey to draw where the state divides, both will put Trenton (the capital) on the other side. Nobody wants Trenton

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/24/20 9:46 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Come to Florida. Turn signals ceased to be factory equipment sometime during the last century. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/24/20 10:22 p.m.

I just can't do one thing. Or three things. I have to do half a million things. And now I'm looking at a potential investment house. I don't need that. What's wrong with me?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/24/20 11:32 p.m.

The list never gets any smaller.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/20 8:54 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

I get the pleasure of spending a decent amount of time there for work.  Thats how I hear the speech so much.  Once Larry BonJovi and Karen Springsteen find out you are from out of state the speech starts.  Its like they teach it in school.  Ive heard it from Cape May to Mahwah.  

Ive lived in several states and travel a lot for work.  I think we might be the only people in our part of PA that weren't born and raised here. People here talk smack about Scranton like its some far off land.  One thing Ive learned is every state has regional rivalries and differences that seen silly to an outsider.  But even California with their "we should be 5 states because reasons" movement chills out once in awhile!laugh

My response lately has been to reply "I don't know about that.  This is all New England to me".

wae
wae UltraDork
1/25/20 9:00 a.m.

I woke up this morning to Dad trying to call his insurance company to find out what hospitals are in network for him here in Daytona Beach.  We're in the ER now as he gets a CT scan.  He thinks it's either appendicitis or a kidney stone.

I certainly do not begrudge sitting here in the ER with him, but we would both rather be getting some Krispy Kremes in the GRM tent about right now instead!

Knurled.
1/25/20 9:02 a.m.
Mndsm said:
stuart in mn said:

Come to Florida. Turn signals ceased to be factory equipment sometime during the last century. 

So people in Florida are either too stupid to be able to think about other people, or too psychopathic to care about other people.

The gist of what I am hearing is, build a wall around the Georgia state line area,so when the oceans rise, they can't infect the rest of the countrty?

(Sadly, this is not a Flordia thing so the wall thing would be pointless.  I just figure people are too self-absorbed to bother, bcause that rules out Option A AND Option B)

Knurled.
1/25/20 9:05 a.m.
wae said:

I woke up this morning to Dad trying to call his insurance company to find out what hospitals are in network for him here in Daytona Beach. 

Hi Margie, that's a nice patio you've got there, shame if I said anything about it.

wae
wae UltraDork
1/25/20 12:02 p.m.
Knurled. said:
wae said:

I woke up this morning to Dad trying to call his insurance company to find out what hospitals are in network for him here in Daytona Beach. 

Hi Margie, that's a nice patio you've got there, shame if I said anything about it.

As it turns out, apparently the only thing that matters is if the hospital takes Medicare so his worries were a bit unfounded.

His worries about his abdomen, however, were not unfounded.  We're at the AdventHealth down the road from the speedway waiting for surgery.

Should I be worried that the surgeon's name is pronounced "berk-it-all"?

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/20 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Yeah, the 4wd guys bitch about the oil hitting the sway bar. I've never seen the filter location on a 4wd. Mine is just a 2wd so I guess it could be worse.

The first time I saw where the trans pan drain was on the 8 speed I couldn't help but laugh. The exhaust crossover runs right below the plug. Great planning on that one FCA no

There is an aftermarket pan that moves the drain plug location and adds a couple of extra quarts of capacity. It also makes the filter a separate part unlike the OEM pan which forces you to buy the whole assembly because the filter is integrated into the pan.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/25/20 12:45 p.m.

The very nice cast aluminum "No Soliciting" sign on the porch does indeed apply to sales of ideas, and does apply to you.

I think the part that's the most aggravating is putting me in the position of feeling bad about kicking two nice gentlemen off the porch because I didn't want to interrupt my day to debate ideology with them. The sign is supposed to prevent us having to have these conversations; everybody wins, or at least is better off than if they knock.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/20 12:51 p.m.

Please send the email or put up a motorsportsreg link so i can sign up for the rallycross class.... you said it would be up at noon.  I want to give you money.... especially since you are limiting it to 12-16 people.

also i cant find any manual volvo 240's near me on craigslist or FB marketplace.  

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/20 1:03 p.m.

I will never keep chives, scallions, and shallots straight.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/20 1:08 p.m.

So someone decided that it was OK to remove the copper washer from the box containing the refurbished brake calipers i just bought. Stupidly I didn't check the contents of the box before leaving the store, so I got to waste another half hour driving back. They did hand me the correct washers so no complaints there, but I missed the start of the Rolex 24 because of it.

Also, NBCSN, is it really necessary to switch to the first commercial break 2-3 minutes into your coverage?

1 ... 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
29pudQJLv1p4Fmobl01jyCj4OhgOsz8IP6vjzU3AOCNdX1V9FAK7TaDzrIU8AsH1