1 ... 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 ... 1929
Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
2/25/20 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Hearing people have hearing as part of their identity, and everyone accepts that; but if a Deaf person has being deaf as part of their identity, people who are not deaf are constantly trying to fix them. This is part of the problem with Mrs Recon's parents. They assume she is a broken person simply because she doesn't hear well. 

Many Deaf see hearing doctors pushing cochlear implants to "fix" the deaf condition, and it threatens their identity and culture. It's been explained to me that it is analogous to telling a black person to change the color of their skin. 

It's complicated...

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/hearing-world-must-stop-forcing-deaf-culture-assimilate-ncna812461

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/25/20 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I remember randomly watching a PBS documentary on the subject, because, well, I don't know why, and yeah, the deaf community basically excommunicated fellow deaf people who got cochlear implants. They kind of viewed it as that person betraying them. It was interesting. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/25/20 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

As a hearing impaired person his entire life, I have always had mixed emotions.  I'm neither completely deaf, nor can I hear well. I live in a grey twilight that is not part of either community. Imagine only understanding 3/5 of everything that's ever been said to you? Its lonely. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/25/20 3:48 p.m.

I love working on and driving cars, for the most part (yes, even when I'm swearing up a storm fighting with a frozen bolt that won't budge, at least it's cathartic...). I HATE buying (and to a large extent, selling) cars. 

Yesterday first thing in glancing through listings found a ridiculous deal and immediately messaged the seller about it. Expected it had already gotten a dozen responses, but I'd never know if I didn't try. I had planned to try and go up to look at another car in the evening, but shifted plans to hopefully going to get the essentially free car. Didn't hear a thing back until over 12 hours later, when they finally responded that the car was sold pending pickup. OK, fine- I largely expected that, but it sucked to have sat around all day hoping I was going to be able to get it and having to push off looking at the car I'd found previously to a later date.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/25/20 4:05 p.m.

Rental car tire pressure light came in last night between dinner and motel. Parked at motel and left rear was indeed a bit low. This morning it was flat. Sittin on the rin flat. Hitched a ride to work from my boss who just happened to be here at the same time as me and staying at same motel. 

After work I go to put on the spare for the drive to the airport in ghe morning only to find that instrad of a spare Kia gave me a tiny 12VDC compressor. Not sure how that is supposed to help me when there is a screw in my tire. 

Called rental car roadside assistance number. 90 mins for tow truck. Then I have to ride with him 40 miles to the airport so I can get a new car. Drive 40 miles back to motel so I can drive 40 miles back to airport in the morning. 

If I would've even suspected there was no spare tire I would've taken care of it last night or this morning. Stupid Kia. How many other new cars don't come with spares but also don't have run flats?

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
2/25/20 4:32 p.m.

Bought our house mid-year 2019. Hadn't been sold in (something like) decades before. The city increased the taxable value by 70% from 2019 to 2020. Guess we're going to be paying more to live here from this year on.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/20 6:21 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets :

What did the appraisal on your house say the value is? You should be able to contest the value of the house based on the fact it just sold for xxxx a year ago.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/25/20 7:47 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets :

Yeah, appeal that. What is the relationship between the assessed value and what you bought it for?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/25/20 8:49 p.m.

According to the FCCs website, you provide cable internet to this address. According to your website the zipcode doesn't exist. Which is it?

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
2/25/20 9:01 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Taxable value comes from State assessed value x an equalization factor (1).

State equalized value must approximate 50% of the market value.  That is, in our case, the taxable value. Since us buying created a new market value, the taxable value is close to 50% of the new market value. The document clearly states that new taxable value does not indicate a change in taxes, but I cannot imagine a world in which our taxes don't change as a result.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/20 12:46 a.m.
T.J. said:

If I would've even suspected there was no spare tire I would've taken care of it last night or this morning. Stupid Kia. How many other new cars don't come with spares but also don't have run flats?

My abarth only comes with a pump and a bottle of goo (wait, that sounds wrong!)

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/26/20 6:26 a.m.

Darned dog got out last night.  It happens sometimes and she runs around the park behind our house for a bit before zooming back with a happy grin on her face.

Last night she didn't come home.  I'm worried.

edit: she's been scooped up by animal control.  I'll pick her up later today when they open.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/26/20 7:31 a.m.

Why do people post things for sale then never answer your message. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/26/20 8:29 a.m.

Who the berkeley is Coyote Black and why is he on the cover of Sportscar?

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
2/26/20 10:23 a.m.

I just want to get the 5.3 running in the wagon before I do anything crazy as that will be the biggest hurdle, yet I'm already looking at cams.

Why do I do this to myself.

Ashyukun (Robert)
2/26/20 11:18 a.m.

Two food-related rants.

First, two weeks ago I signed up for Imperfect Foods, where they send you a box each week with a selection of foods (mostly produce, but some meats and dry goods) that didn't meet the standards to be sold normally at a discount. The first box had like 3 things that were clearly rotten or close enough to it to be unusable, and the one that arrived today had two vegetable that were unusable and the package with the chicken breast in it had split open and leaked all over a lot of things such that many will also probably have to be thrown out. I like the idea behind it, both keeping food from being wasted and saving money- but it sounds like their implementation and QC had a ways to go.

Second, today the Dancer and I started a 2-day juice cleanse. So far the juices themselves have not been bad- they're tasty enough... but having to do this while at work SUCKS because there are so many wonderful smells from the lunches of my co-workers. This should serve as a good 'reset' for us to get back to eating well, but it's also going to be REALLY hard to not just eat all the things once the two days are done (hell, it's hard to not do that NOW with having only really missed breakfast...).

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/20 11:54 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

We did the Imperfect Foods thing too, mostly because we live in the middle of nowhere and veggies delivered to your door is nice.

The food itself was ok, we didn't get meat, but Fed Ex can't deliver it on time.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/26/20 12:46 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Second, today the Dancer and I started a 2-day juice cleanse. So far the juices themselves have not been bad- they're tasty enough... but having to do this while at work SUCKS because there are so many wonderful smells from the lunches of my co-workers. This should serve as a good 'reset' for us to get back to eating well, but it's also going to be REALLY hard to not just eat all the things once the two days are done (hell, it's hard to not do that NOW with having only really missed breakfast...).

What is the point of that? Cleanses are stupid and pointless. Seriously. Unless it is a mental thing, there is zero benefit to it. If it is a mental thing... then have at it.

Ashyukun (Robert)
2/26/20 1:14 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I'm treating it as more of a mental reset- after the 2 days we're going to get back to eating better (probably low-carb/semi-paleo). 

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
2/26/20 1:25 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Recon1342 :

As a hearing impaired person his entire life, I have always had mixed emotions.  I'm neither completely deaf, nor can I hear well. I live in a grey twilight that is not part of either community. Imagine only understanding 3/5 of everything that's ever been said to you? Its lonely. 

Pick up some sign language and see about deaf events in your area. It would surprise you how welcoming the community can be...

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/20 3:20 p.m.

My garage playtime today was rescheduled due to rain. sad

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/26/20 4:18 p.m.

One of the quickest ways to make a friend an ex-friend is to work with them. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/20 5:08 p.m.

Ever since we moved back to a more European climate, my migraines have re-appeared. Today was a pretty bad one, which I finally got almost under control.

berkeley migraines. Especially when they get bad enough that part of your face starts feeling numb.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/26/20 5:12 p.m.

Jesus berkeley people. I don't know what an n96 rating is and I don't care. What I do know is all y'all lyin asses ain't fooling anyone with your "painting and sanding " . We know you're scared of the Chinese cough n puke. If you're that scared, get on a plane, leave Florida, and leave me alone. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/26/20 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Save up a good, phlegmy cough, and let it rip when those type people are identified. They berkeley-righ-off in a hurry when you launch a, "hhhh hhhhg HUURGHHLLHHHow can I help you."

1 ... 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2jTuaxi0eicC9dhDhh8SLcpvVTfkCVSURJiWlKtFNx1cSm6xiIMaZsUky6ZHjmHr