1 ... 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 ... 1929
Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 6:15 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Monitor just died.

My home computer setup is... odd.  I have a laptop, that I had been running dual-monitor.  When the backlight for the laptop screen failed a couple months ago, I reconfigured the laptop to run in multiple monitor mode (fortunately, the keyboard shortcuts for doing this were easy to find with my tablet).  Well, THAT monitor is the one that died.

The one that died was a 22" HP.  I also have a 24" AOC that I bought because I had plans for running a desktop in dual monitor mode, and sharing the HP monitor between the two.

I'm back in business, for no effort at all other than moving two cords around, but the AOC monitor definitely sucks compared to the HP.  The pixels are nowhere near as defined, and Past Me knows all the tech speak for that sort of thing but Now Me forgot it all.

I mean, I have some spare LCDs, not anything fancy but they'll take DVI input.  If you're interested.

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 6:17 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

That is correct. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 6:19 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Monitor just died.

My home computer setup is... odd.  I have a laptop, that I had been running dual-monitor.  When the backlight for the laptop screen failed a couple months ago, I reconfigured the laptop to run in multiple monitor mode (fortunately, the keyboard shortcuts for doing this were easy to find with my tablet).  Well, THAT monitor is the one that died.

The one that died was a 22" HP.  I also have a 24" AOC that I bought because I had plans for running a desktop in dual monitor mode, and sharing the HP monitor between the two.

I'm back in business, for no effort at all other than moving two cords around, but the AOC monitor definitely sucks compared to the HP.  The pixels are nowhere near as defined, and Past Me knows all the tech speak for that sort of thing but Now Me forgot it all.

I mean, I have some spare LCDs, not anything fancy but they'll take DVI input.  If you're interested.

Pretty sure Micro Center has curbside pickup, and there's one 45 minutes from here.  Probably 20 minutes with less traffic density.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/19/20 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

That was over a year ago. I'm doing much better now.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/19/20 6:45 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

That was over a year ago. I'm doing much better now.

I grew up watching Night Court, I can't hear the phrase "much better now" without hearing it in John Astin's voice, with his crooked smile.

It helps that I also used to watch The Addams Family.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/19/20 7:55 p.m.

My dad needs another surgery. When I asked the surgeon if he was strong enough for another surgery I got " he's as strong as he's gonna be"

That's not a berkeleying answer

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
5/19/20 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Crap, I’ve been trolling the good news thread for updates.  We’re all pulling for him, please keep us updated as you can. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 8:49 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Yay! Add me to the unemployed list.

Terribly sorry to hear that. Is there a chance after all *waves hands* this settles down the job will come back?

5/19/20 8:58 p.m.
11GTCS said:

Crap, I’ve been trolling the good news thread for updates.  We’re all pulling for him, please keep us updated as you can. 

Basically he is doing better, he is more active, alert, and having to use less oxygen but his lung has a leak. The leak is directly on top of some blood left in his chest which means that it can get horribly infected at any moment, so they have to clear it out. The surgeon, which as it turns out tried out for American Ninja Warrior, says that if we don't do it he is about as good as he can get.

The surgery sounds like the best option......but he's weak and the above response is all I can get. We can't wait because it can get way worse fast. The last surgery was scary because he needed 5 stents in his heart at the end.

And not to make it about me, but he's been in ICU for 22 days and I haven't slept in ate well during that time. I've lost over 20lbs in the month this has been happening. I know that intellectually this sounds right. ...but I still am filled with berkeleying worry.

Probably TMI here is though

5/19/20 9:02 p.m.

My friend is the same, but he is getting good unemployment and wanted to change jobs anyway.

I've switched jobs a lot before I started doing my own thing. I worked for 13 different companies. Always know that if you are good at your job, there is always a job somewhere. You were looking for a job when you found this one and now is no different

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/19/20 9:04 p.m.

Dr McNinja is your dad/s surgeon?

(Trying to add levity.  Usually fail, but mean well)

5/19/20 9:06 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It is appreciated.

And yes, there's actually a clip my wife found of him trying out while trying to find his number. He didn't make it but he did get the absolute end.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 10:19 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

Terribly sorry to hear that. Is there a chance after all *waves hands* this settles down the job will come back?

Nope. Not that I would go back anyway if I'm honest. They aren't going to survive anyway.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/20/20 8:39 a.m.
CAinCA said:
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

What kind of shiny happy person thinks it's ok to set off fireworks at midnight in a nice residential neighborhood?

I live in one of the only cities in the SF bay area that allows fireworks. July 4th starts in late May and ends around early September. Cinco de Mayo is a 2-3 week celebration. Every time one of the local sports teams wins a playoff game is cause to set off some serious artillery. There's a few folks that find it amusing to set off ginormous E36 M3 at 3AM on a Tuesday. Because, why not?

I outgrew interest in amateur fireworks when I was about 12.  Some people - 99.8% of them male - never do.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/20 10:50 a.m.

my comment in the thread about the GTI reminded me. 

I tend to hold onto cars forever. I keep them going and going and going long past their sell by date and I only get rid of them when the work involved to repair them gets to be too much. All of my cousins run their cars into the ground quickly. I don't think they are even done paying for them by the time they are completely dead. I do not get the mindset in such wanton destruction of property. I have two uncles who are the same way, but for different reasons. One keeps his cars running until he wrecks them (which is often) and the other never even bothers to change oil. 

How any of this makes any sense with the price of even used cars baffles me

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/20/20 11:29 a.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

my comment in the thread about the GTI reminded me. 

I tend to hold onto cars forever. I keep them going and going and going long past their sell by date and I only get rid of them when the work involved to repair them gets to be too much. All of my cousins run their cars into the ground quickly. I don't think they are even done paying for them by the time they are completely dead. I do not get the mindset in such wanton destruction of property. I have two uncles who are the same way, but for different reasons. One keeps his cars running until he wrecks them (which is often) and the other never even bothers to change oil. 

How any of this makes any sense with the price of even used cars baffles me

We got a great deal on the AngieVan (Kia Sedona), brand new but a year old. Even then, it is what I would call an exorbinate amount of money. 

Last night, we were driving on a 4 hour road trip. My wife was asleep in the back seat. Baby was asleep next to her in the car seat. Our luggage, the stroller, the Great Pyrenees, and the kitchen sink were in the back. I was marveling at how much I love and admire that vehicle, and how happy I was that we bought it, and how little I mind that we're paying $500 a month for it. And then I repeated that in my head. We're paying $500 a month for it. Then I thought about all the people in my life that I know buy new cars or lease cars every 4-7 years. I couldn't fathom it. This was the first car loan we'd ever had that is worth mentioning*, and we got it when we were 28/29 years old. 5 year loan on a car that we're probably going to own for at least 10 years, probably 15 years. It boggles my mind that people do this regularly. 

*We also got a $5k loan on a car we already owned, simply because (a) we could pay it off immediately, (b) the loan was at a ridiculously low rate and (c) it allowed me to fund my wife's IRA that year. I'm not counting that one as a car loan worth mentioning.

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
5/20/20 12:08 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Dr McNinja is your dad/s surgeon?

(Trying to add levity.  Usually fail, but mean well)

Well after Dr.McNinja does his magic, I'm pretty sure I know the name of the next Interstellar Sledgehammer song and y'all owe Pete credit in the album liner notes...   God I'm old...

Hang in there, the rollercoaster ride is not cool but it sounds like they have a plan.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/20/20 2:08 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I am beginning to dislike my healthcare. 

Backstory- I've had some fairly significant breathing difficulty since February. No fever, no cough, just a ton of bricks on my chest. Initially diagnosed over the phone as asthma aggravated seasonal allergies. Put on a couple meds- everything seems to be slowly getting better. Then one day, my legs blow up like balloons, and I appear to have put on nearly 25lbs of water weight. Back to the doc. Doc says (over the phone because berkeleyin covid) you need to see a cardiologist asap. So, I get my ass on the list. In the meantime, i head downhill quick. I'm sent home from work twice because I'm gross enough looking to scare customers. Finally see cardiologist today. He takes one look at me and can't figure out why I was referred to his office, decides to take a run at it anyhow. Ekg comes back normal. Orders echo, chest x-ray , blood work. Because of the way modern health care works, I need an authorization for all of that. Meanwhile, it's been nearly 3 months and I am starting to have work issues. Not happy. 

Update! So I got sent home from work, again. Told me to take care of my E36 M3. So, I took myself down to the er. I have never seen doctors move that quickly . I'm up to 3 nitro tabs and am eventual trip to the big hospital. Turns out it was a lot worse than I imagined. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/20/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

I did not come up with Dr. McNinja

The comic started as a joke comic in the Internet days of the pirates vs. ninjas meme, and an Irish ninja who became a doctor fought Ronald McDonald and all of his robots for copyright infringement after McDonald's introduced the McNinja burger, which gave you silent but deadly ("like a ninja") farts.

There is no way I could be awesome enough to come up with that, or the dozens of storylines that followed, up to 2017

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/20/20 3:22 p.m.

I am so pissed at my wife's school district. They are making the teachers clean out their rooms which is fair enough but they are giving no help to my 8 month pregent wife or her coworker who is in the same boat and not allowing anyone to come in to help them.

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
5/20/20 3:30 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Sensing a gigantic time suck heading my way...LOL.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
5/20/20 3:53 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

I am so pissed at my wife's school district. They are making the teachers clean out their rooms which is fair enough but they are giving no help to my 8 month pregent wife or her coworker who is in the same boat and not allowing anyone to come in to help them.

Take it up with the union. That is what they're there for, right?

mtn (Forum Supporter)
5/20/20 4:22 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Mndsm said:

I am beginning to dislike my healthcare. 

Backstory- I've had some fairly significant breathing difficulty since February. No fever, no cough, just a ton of bricks on my chest. Initially diagnosed over the phone as asthma aggravated seasonal allergies. Put on a couple meds- everything seems to be slowly getting better. Then one day, my legs blow up like balloons, and I appear to have put on nearly 25lbs of water weight. Back to the doc. Doc says (over the phone because berkeleyin covid) you need to see a cardiologist asap. So, I get my ass on the list. In the meantime, i head downhill quick. I'm sent home from work twice because I'm gross enough looking to scare customers. Finally see cardiologist today. He takes one look at me and can't figure out why I was referred to his office, decides to take a run at it anyhow. Ekg comes back normal. Orders echo, chest x-ray , blood work. Because of the way modern health care works, I need an authorization for all of that. Meanwhile, it's been nearly 3 months and I am starting to have work issues. Not happy. 

Update! So I got sent home from work, again. Told me to take care of my E36 M3. So, I took myself down to the er. I have never seen doctors move that quickly . I'm up to 3 nitro tabs and am eventual trip to the big hospital. Turns out it was a lot worse than I imagined. 

Jeez Tom! Best of luck and medical science to you - let us know if we can do anything

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/20/20 5:03 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

Don't need a whole lot right now, but thanks. I'm berkeleyin bored more than anything. I shoulda grabbed my switch on my way out the door. And my phone charger. I had no idea I was gonna stay a while. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/20 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

hang in there! I hope they can straighten out the old engine quickly and smoothly

1 ... 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MXuVdOJUI11l6IvQ0g04trGmjAZN08G3v4T8DpkMKK7NgmuqdRsMrl3Mm7ttvCX6