1 ... 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 ... 1927
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/23/20 1:22 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:
Mndsm said:

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) :

ENGLISH MOTHERberkeleyER! DO YOU SPEAK IT? 

Sorks like a chamk! 

God i needed that laugh. 

Yesterday and today have been an absolute E36 M3show at work, i cant shut my brain down like normal, and im berkeleying losing my patience and sense of humor about this E36 M3. Not a good sign.....

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/23/20 1:25 p.m.

Went to the Doc a couple of weeks ago to get a bump at the base of my right thumb checked out. I figured it was a bone spur or ganglion cyst that just happened to be in an uncomfortable spot. Went to the hand surgeon today, and after x-rays, discovered I had a couple pieces of bone floating around in there, and a fully detached ligament. Surgery to follow next month. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/23/20 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

DW's sister lives in a 2500 sf 3 bedroom on maybe an acre in semi rural area west of NYC. 

Her property taxes are close to $20,000 a year.  And it ain't that nice a house - probably 60 years old, not built to that high standard then, and almost completely unrenovated since.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
9/23/20 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

This year I realized surgery sucks, no matter how small. Good luck. 

My rant. In the last month I'm really feeling stressed/anxious/distracted even though I'm really trying not to. I've had a project at work stress me to my breaking point and it's strange, it has robbed me of joy. Constant problems, over budget, someone is always pissed off, others telling me this cannot be done while others are poking me with a stick yelling "do it ASAP! Get it done now!!" Phone rings 10 times a day with worse news than the hour before. 

On Sunday I had a fun car related activity planned and I woke up in a cold sweat Saturday night worrying about what could go wrong and that I should cancel. I never went back to sleep after 3am. Related to this stress I'm under? Maybe. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/23/20 1:41 p.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

I've been renting for the past year or so, and I'm just getting back into the ownership game. I just realized my math was off - it's closer to every two weeks, not every week and a half.  My 2 bedroom 1 bath 1100 sq ft in Louisiana was about $500/yr. The 2 bedroom 1 bath 1700 sq foot I just passed on in Oak Park is about $14,000yr.

Oak Park - there is your issue. Head a few blocks south to Berwyn and it will be twice the home for half the taxes. We looked in Oak Park and couldn't make it work even renting out 2 units of a triplex. 

If you have kids, come farther out west or North. Or way south to where Robbie is, real estate and taxes are comparatively cheap down there.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/20 1:42 p.m.

One of the reasons I moved so far from work was taxes.  My parents house on Long Island has a $13,000 tax bill, mine is $4800. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/23/20 2:06 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

My father-in-law has his Cook County taxes frozen for a senior citizen discount - lives in Willow Springs, IL.  He has to apply every year for the discount and he is 19 years now getting it.  

It pays to get old and live long.  He pays $1750 for a 1/2 acre 1200sf ranch that will jump to $6000 for the next guy.  

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
9/23/20 2:16 p.m.

Tommy Chong, stop berkeleying e-mailing me, I don't give a berkeley about how almost dying was the greatest thing that ever happened to you or how CBD changed your life.

wae
wae UltraDork
9/23/20 6:48 p.m.

We're in charge of bringing waters for the uniform ceremony for the soccer team tomorrow night.  No worries, $10 at Kroger and I've got plenty.  Get home and start to put them in the cooler.  Can't find the cooler.  Search the house, find the cooler in the garage.  Those of you who watch horror movies are right now screaming at the screen: Don't open it!!!

I opened it.

It was a horror show of decayed leftover food and drink that my lovely wife brought back from her trip for training for her job.

Back in March.

It gets really old being the one who has to unberkeley stuff that other people berkeley up.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/23/20 6:52 p.m.
NickD said:

Tommy Chong, stop berkeleying e-mailing me

All of a sudden I get these daily.  What's this all about?

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
9/23/20 7:12 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
NickD said:

Tommy Chong, stop berkeleying e-mailing me

All of a sudden I get these daily.  What's this all about?

Supposedly Tommy Chong recently learned about CBD. Which is a crock of E36 M3. That motherberkeleyer wrote the book on that subject

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
9/23/20 7:14 p.m.
wae said:

We're in charge of bringing waters for the uniform ceremony for the soccer team tomorrow night.  No worries, $10 at Kroger and I've got plenty.  Get home and start to put them in the cooler.  Can't find the cooler.  Search the house, find the cooler in the garage.  Those of you who watch horror movies are right now screaming at the screen: Don't open it!!!

I opened it.

It was a horror show of decayed leftover food and drink that my lovely wife brought back from her trip for training for her job.

Back in March.

It gets really old being the one who has to unberkeley stuff that other people berkeley up.

Was there a lobster that turned sentient and started infecting people? (Cowboy Bebop reference)

Bjorn 1349
Bjorn 1349 New Reader
9/23/20 7:43 p.m.

Had to weave my way through cops and the national guard leaving work today. They were not friendly. Like dudes, WTF. I am leaving, I am not a problem. This is why people don't like you. 

The "STEP BACK! NOW!" command when I don't even know you are outside the door. Really? Are you just looking for a reason to shoot someone? Asshats.

Not to be stupid about it but really, clean cut white guy in blue scrubs leaving a secured entry door at a hospital is probably not a threat.

Also, F my employer if they think im staying and being off the clock.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/23/20 8:52 p.m.

I've been super stressed out at work lately and haven't been sleeping well. I'm exhausted tonight and go to bed at 9. I'm just about asleep when I hear this:

I jump out of bed and run to the kitchen. The fan in the a/c condenser is dying a horrible noisy death. It's no surprise since it sits behind the garage and water literally pours on it when it rains (no gutters anywhere on this house. In Florida!):

I work 12 hours so I shut the a/c off before I leave for work and turn it back on when I get home. It runs about 4 hours nonstop to cool the house off.

I guess I'll turn the system off since I don't want it to seize and catch fire, which is something that would definitely happen to me.

Can I catch a berkeleying break? Please?

In reply to stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) :

Sounds like dry bearings. You might try shooting it with oil to keep it alive until you can change it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/20 9:06 p.m.
wae said:

I opened it.

Back in March.

Remember the cooler I used to have?

I found it in a similar state.

Like the "Toys in the Attic" episode of Cowboy Bebop, I closed it quickly, duct taped it shut, put it in two trash bags, and threw it in the nearest dumpster.  My garage does not yet have an airlock so this was the next best solution.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/23/20 9:09 p.m.

I was kind of happy to see Wheeler Dealers was featuring a Mazdaspeed MX5.  Then they did a bunch of dumb stuff to it, including moving the intake directly over the exhaust manifold.  To top it all off,  they turned the boost up and sold it to some lady who bought it for her 18 year old son, which seemed like a really bad idea.   

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/20 9:17 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

In reply to stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) :

Sounds like dry bearings. You might try shooting it with oil to keep it alive until you can change it.

This.

Looks a lot like a unit I had. It did exactly this, squealed for a couple of days then siezed. I had the A/C guy come out for something like $150 for the privilege of getting a hard sell on becoming a member of their A/C cleaning of the month club plus a $5k for a whole new system. Sent him packing, googled the numbers off the motor, and bought a replacement for $110. I did manage to modestly berk the fan during the replacement, so a year later it flew apart, costing me another $80 from the friendly A/C repair shop a mile from the house. 

The worst part was trying to get the old fan off the old motor. The motor shaft was too soft for a puller to do the job. I ended up grinding the motor shaft to an empty shell using a dremel, which is almost certainly not the right solution. Be careful with the fan.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/20 9:20 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

I've been renting for the past year or so, and I'm just getting back into the ownership game. I just realized my math was off - it's closer to every two weeks, not every week and a half.  My 2 bedroom 1 bath 1100 sq ft in Louisiana was about $500/yr. The 2 bedroom 1 bath 1700 sq foot I just passed on in Oak Park is about $14,000yr.

Oak Park - there is your issue. Head a few blocks south to Berwyn and it will be twice the home for half the taxes. We looked in Oak Park and couldn't make it work even renting out 2 units of a triplex. 

If you have kids, come farther out west or North. Or way south to where Robbie is, real estate and taxes are comparatively cheap down there.

No kids, but Oak Park looks like a better place for the pets, and we're wanting to be within a few minutes walk of the green or blue line.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/23/20 9:28 p.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

Hit the shaft with penetrating oil, let sit, warm up the hub on the fan with a heat gun or torch, and that puppy will slip right off...

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/23/20 10:20 p.m.

While the thread is full of grousing about property taxes...

One of the reasons I moved to Pewaukee WI was the $2,800 tax bill on a reasonable three bedroom house with four cars worth of garage.  Two and a half years later and the taxes are up to $3,600 which still isn't bad for the area.  But then they raised my sewer bill to $306/3 months, or $1,224/year.  And I'm on a well with a sewer so I don't even get city water in the deal.  Feel like I'm getting screwed pretty good.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
9/24/20 6:46 a.m.

On my 4bd/3ba house in a Pittsburgh suburb, my property taxes are over $8k a year, but I have two, soon to be three kids in the best school district in the state. I consider it "private school tuition" and it doesn't bother me one bit. When the kids are done with public school, I'm cashing out and moving to a rural area with cheap taxes and more land. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/24/20 11:34 a.m.

Our Secretary of State (Michigan's DMV) is now appointment only.  I figured calling 4 months ahead to make an appointment to renew my driver's license would be soon enough to get it done before it expires.  I was wrong . . .

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/20 11:56 a.m.

Still waiting for brain-swab test results to come back so I can know if I can sign up for the rallycross.

Or, y'know, go back to work.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/24/20 1:40 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Still waiting for brain-swab test results to come back so I can know if I can sign up for the rallycross.

Or, y'know, go back to work.

Good luck!

1 ... 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qTLyMByJNDg6gk7KG0WSc8JWMn0prWsUz9VEfBnFOwFFhIBKozi7pgvEhRlXPeDI