1 ... 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 ... 1927
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/25/20 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Didn't Mercedes try that a decade or so ago?  Wasn't there a recall to replace the electrics with hydraulics?  Off to the googles...

Edit: https://www.autoweek.com/news/a2084126/mercedes-cancels-wire-brake-system-decision-blow-technologys-future/

Didn't read, but this is what I'm thinking of.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
9/25/20 11:50 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Didn't Mercedes try that a decade or so ago?  Wasn't there a recall to replace the electrics with hydraulics?  Off to the googles...

Edit: https://www.autoweek.com/news/a2084126/mercedes-cancels-wire-brake-system-decision-blow-technologys-future/

Didn't read, but this is what I'm thinking of.

They introduced it, offered it for two years and then cancelled offering it. Mercedes-Benz said it was due to cost, but the general consensus was that, after two recalls for software issues that could cause it to fail, consumers just did not feel comfortable with the system. Apparently there was still some sort of mechanical connection, because it said when it failed, it still had brakes, it just took much more pedal effort and took much farther to stop

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/20 1:59 p.m.

Most people aren't used to having to push the brake pedal hard. Ever see somebody used to modern brakes try to stop something with old, manual brakes?

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/20 2:02 p.m.

Okay, I agree that as soon normal operation is isolation from pedal pressure and decisions made by the brake electronics, that's brake by wire in degree. But this isn't that. This is "how much assist." Which of course *does* affect how much output per input, but I think it's asinine to call it "brake by wire" when that has a specific connotation of disconnection/isolation. By this logic, variable assist power steering is "steer by wire."

Just as much to the point, as you say, as far as I know as well, there are no true brake by wire systems. So they shouldn't use the damn phrase, because you and I have some understanding of the mechanisms and the context, but a lot of folks reading the article are either going to come away thinking the C8 has no physical connection, or that "______ by wire" has no real meaning. I really dislike it when sloppy use of language causes language's usefulness and clarity to degrade.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/20 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Yep.

Jesse Ransom
9/25/20 2:39 p.m.

Independent of the content, this combo deserves to be in the minor rant thread:

Jesse Ransom said: Just as much to the point, as you say, as far as I know as well...

...uttered in the same block ending with:

I really dislike it when sloppy use of language causes language's usefulness and clarity to degrade.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/25/20 2:59 p.m.

Is the Prius technically 'brake by wire'? I know that if you apply the brakes normally it only uses the regenerative (brake by using the electric motor as a generator) braking and only really uses the hydraulic brakes if you 'panic brake' and stomp on the pedal.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/20 4:05 p.m.

So, I was heading out to go sailing again today when the speakable happened.  The trailer broke.  I built this trailer two years ago on the bones of the original trailer Spark was on when I bought her.  It looks rusty, but that is because rattle car paint is not that good at keeping saltwater out.  I was going to take it apart, strip it, and rebuild it this winter.  

So, heading out, I had to return home due to forgetfulness and almost as soon as I turned off of the main drag I hit a bump, heard a bang, and the driver's side tyre from the trailer passed me.  I do not run leaf spring suspension, but the rubber torsion bar style.  The arm that goes into the rubber broke off at the pivot point.  By the looks of things,  It has been cracked from day one as the older part of the "crack" has black paint and no more rust on it than the rest of the suspension.   This is a trailer that bathes in saltwater on a regular basis.

It could have been worse, I could have been in traffic or headed down to Maryland on the highway and lost both the trailer and boat.  It just annoys me that I carry everything I need to fix the trailer,  bearings, hubs, spare tyre, even nuts and bolts,  but this was the one part I could not fix on the side of the road.  New parts are on order, but could take a week to ten days to get here.

Jesse Ransom
9/25/20 7:15 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

Glad that didn't happen somewhere more dangerous, and that the boat escaped damage!

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
9/25/20 7:48 p.m.

My hotel room shower had only one water pressure setting, about 1500psi it seemed, and a shower head with very fine jets. If you weren't careful and took one of those jets to the hootus, hoo boy, you sure knew it

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/25/20 8:18 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Convenient pressure washer for blasting off whatever funk one might catch from a casual hotel guest. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/20 8:41 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Been there, although the shower didn't have fine jets, more like 5 total in a big shower head.

I did wonder why the tile on the other side looked very worn in one spot.....turns out that it was enough pressure to knock you backwards a little bit lol

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/25/20 8:51 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Degenerates pay good money for that.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/26/20 7:54 a.m.

My upstairs neighbor has a baby. She insists on singing to it every morning at about 830 at the top of her berkeleying lungs out on her balcony, so I can hear it when I am in my bedroom with my windows closed and my ac on. Jesus berkeley woman I get you like your kid but the entirety of kissimmee does not need to hear that. 

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
9/26/20 10:18 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Is the Prius technically 'brake by wire'? I know that if you apply the brakes normally it only uses the regenerative (brake by using the electric motor as a generator) braking and only really uses the hydraulic brakes if you 'panic brake' and stomp on the pedal.

Yes.  All hybrids and electrics with regen braking are brake-by-wire.   You can feel the transition to hydraulic brakes just before you stop as regen doesn't work that slow and also if you go into ABS.  When you hit the brakes really hard it is hydraulic but that happens quicker than you can feel typically.  What really has a unique feel is if you hit something very slipery just as you are coming to a complete stop during regen. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/26/20 2:11 p.m.

Remember that goofy "I'll fight you in the parking lot after work" nonsense that happened to me on August 14th? Missed a call this morning and I heard a voicemail pop up. Without looking, I punch it up and start listening. Spam, spam, Mom, spam, SWMBO,  spam. Delete, delete, delete. 

Then I get to, "HEY HERE'S YOUR PHONE CALL, APPLESEED. IF YOU WANT TO KEEP CALLING ME OUT ON YOUR FORUM, WITH YOUR BITCH ASS FRIENDS, THATS FINE. I'M SICK OF YOUR E36 M3. SAYING I SAID VILE THINGS, I SAID THE TRUTH. THAT berkeleyING KID ISN'T YOURS, YOURS A PIECE OF E36 M3, LETS GET TOGETHER."

Randy left me a voicemail. I thought this E36 M3 started up again. Fortunately,  it was from 8am on the 14 of August, not this morning. But I wouldn't have been surprised. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/26/20 2:47 p.m.
Mndsm said:

My upstairs neighbor has a baby. She insists on singing to it every morning at about 830 at the top of her berkeleying lungs out on her balcony, so I can hear it when I am in my bedroom with my windows closed and my ac on. Jesus berkeley woman I get you like your kid but the entirety of kissimmee does not need to hear that. 

When I worked nights a couple years ago, we had a new neighbor in the rented duplex with an adorable 2 year old boy. He LOVED musical instruments, and each time I'd see him and his mom out he'd have something like a kazoo or a clacker trying to make music for our other neighbors dog. Then she got him a Vuvuzela.

BRRRRRTTTT

It's 1PM; I've gotten maybe 5 hours of sleep, and I'm watching this little guy run as fast as his teeny legs could carry him through our shared yards blasting the horn above his head. BRRRTTTT. He fell and just picked himself up and kept running around with it like Gabriel blasting the Trumpets. I'm tired, but no amount of being tired would ever make me angry at a child like that so I did the only thing and countered him with my OWN Vuvuzela.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/26/20 3:53 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I bought one on Saturday night at the Indy 500 in the 80's and I put a sticker on it to make it look cool.  

Random drunk guys would blow it then give you a swig of their Everclear/Kool-aid jug and then later in the evening it turned into a beer bong.  

I do/don't miss the Indy 500 craziness (2019 below).

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/26/20 3:55 p.m.

Also what other event is cool with you bringing in your beer bong?  Cubs game?   Hockey game?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/26/20 4:10 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Ted Nugent concert.

wae
wae UltraDork
9/27/20 4:24 p.m.

I know why they did it, but it's still annoying that there is no space for another couple Cat5 cables in the hole that they used to send wires to the attic for the second floor.  Would it have been so bad to leave a little extra room and a pull-line for me?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/27/20 5:16 p.m.

The battery was dead in the Town Car, so I took it to the local parts store for testing. They charged it up and it tested good, so I was going to get the alternator tested the next day.

My mom and stepdad wanted to go see family who are visiting and they couldn't wait for that, so they drove it over there and when they went to leave, the battery was dead again. Someone there swore the alternator "seemed good" to them, and that the problem was loose battery cables. So he tightened the cables and jumpstarted the car so they could get home.

Today, the battery was totally dead again. The cables weren't loose, so I'm pretty sure it's the alternator after all. I'm really just annoyed.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/27/20 10:28 p.m.

Dealing with warranty issues on computer parts is a nightmare compared too warranty on a car part. It's like they don't even read the Email or check the attachments they requested.

Dear Wells Fargo,

While I appreciate free money, I have to wonder what your teller was thinking. 

I handed her my drivers license and my business ATM card with a request for a counter check for $7400. Pretty simple. 

Why did you take the money out of my daughters checking account. Her account is in no way associated with my company account. Why would it even be on the list of options?

You might want to take a look at your computer system and straighten out a few things. 

I will say good job on fixing the fiasco promptly this morning. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/28/20 4:26 p.m.

So, coming up the stairs  about an hour ago. something in my right knee went pop.

This is not fun. Not fun at all. 

1 ... 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0mZ2fXU0aoxjD72xSIkziify0ZLAgXbEVtFv7Imnp8LpsRBmPaFZD8tYSOugPwc4