1 ... 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 ... 1929
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/13/20 8:52 a.m.

Someone smacked the back of my pickup right last night. I hate dealing with insurance.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/20 9:38 a.m.

Back in March my parents got me a fairly inexpensive pair of waterproof Bluetooth headphones to use when I swam laps with my (then) new membership to the nearby Y with a pool. For the last 6 months or so they have been used exclusively when I mow the lawn since they're bone conduction and I can have earplugs in and still hear the music well. Last month the Y finally re-opened the pool and I felt things were in an place that I could safely go back and swim. After a few failed attempts at using them (protip: Bluetooth doesn't work well through water...) I finally was able to use them for a few days' swims.

I then ended up not going for a few weeks due to laziness and late nights, but finally got back out there yesterday morning... and the headphones won't power on. They turn on when plugged into power- but won't actually do anything. So now I have to try and coordinate with my parents to figure out what I can do with getting them replaced.

Also, went to charge my original AppleWatch back up to make sure it was reset to factory settings to list it for sale- and it won't charge or power on, it apparently sat for too long without being charged and now the battery is shot. So I have to spend $25 and an hour or so on replacing the battery to get it working again in hopes of being able to sell it and making at least a bit on it.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
10/13/20 2:16 p.m.

Tech support is eternally frustrating for both parties, but I can't understand why some places seem to go out of the way to be as unhelpful as possible.

Finally called Traxxas about getting my buggy UDR sorted out, and left the disassembly to my local hobby shop.  Hobby shop is happy to help, but since I didn't buy it through them, I have to deal with the tech line.  The toy is out of warranty, but Traxxas offers lifetime support for flat rates on whatever part is damaged.

Traxxas is happy to take my money, but needs an address to send the packaging to.  The local hobby shop says they'll do that, but Traxxas refuses.  It has to be MY address.  Ok, fine.  Here's my address.  Traxxas advises someone needs to be home to sign for it.  My schedule makes that unlikely.  I can't have it sent to my work because they are pretty strict about personal mail deliveries.  I ask if my folks' PO Box would work and they say no, it has to be a physical address.  Frustrated, I tell the guy that I'll try to figure something out and call back, when the tech guy interrupts with, "You've overthinking this, anyone can sign for it.  A neighbor, friend, anybody!"

I hang up, because I'm about to scream, "THEN WHY CAN'T WE SEND IT TO THE BERKING HOBBY SHOP?!?"

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/13/20 2:32 p.m.

One of my favorite LED vendors uses UPS Mail Innovations as their primary shipping method. Basically, the package rides UPS's distro network until it gets near the delivery location and then it's handed off to USPS for last mile delivery.

I have a package that has been sitting at "departed UPS Mail Innovations facility enroute to USPS" status for 5 berkeleying days now. USPS reports it as "Preshipment info sent to USPS. USPS awaiting item" and has no delivery date. Customer service was useless. They blame UPS. UPS blames USPS.

I just want my E36 M3. I know it's just going to randomly appear in my mailbox sometime. It could be tomorrow or next year, nobody knows frown.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/13/20 2:57 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) said:

I have a package that has been sitting at "departed UPS Mail Innovations facility enroute to USPS" status for 5 berkeleying days now. USPS reports it as "Preshipment info sent to USPS. USPS awaiting item" and has no delivery date. Customer service was useless. They blame UPS. UPS blames USPS.

I am going to go with UPS. They are beyond useless.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/13/20 3:07 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Anything that involves a handoff between companies is going to be a PITA. Send it with UPS. Send it with USPS. Send it with FedEx. But make sure its sent with one carrier. 

That is my opinion that I've been forming over the past couple of days here.

10/13/20 3:12 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

It's odd because out of the 3 major shipping companies, I have had the least amount of issues with UPS.

Fedex likes lose my packages or misdeliver them. When they do get the delivery address right, they leave it out in the rain despite having a covered walkway in front of my door. They won't walk another 2 feet.

USPS likes to crush packages into the mailbox. Oh gotta "Do Not Bend" envelope? Well how about I fold that berkeleyer in half and stuff it into the mailbox? You're welcome. Also, I get delivery notifications a day before the package arrives. Informed Delivery is beyond useless. I just got a notification that I had 2 pieces of mail today. I was hoping that one was my forlorn package but the mailbox was empty. Nice.

Amazon likes to ship fragile items in an envelope. I like finding spark plugs just floating around in the envelope. But a shift knob? Gotta package it in a box the size of a microwave stuffed with packing material. 

Grrrrrr.

10/13/20 3:13 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
93EXCivic said:

Anything that involves a handoff between companies is going to be a PITA. Send it with UPS. Send it with USPS. Send it with FedEx. But make sure its sent with one carrier. 

That is my opinion that I've been forming over the past couple of days here.

This! This is all I want! I'll even pay extra for this option!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/13/20 3:40 p.m.

The day of my spinal injections they dose me with fentanyl and Christ this stuff makes me feel so good it's scary. These 24hrs will feel better then I'll feel for the 60 days in between. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/13/20 5:07 p.m.

I'm at a stage in homeownership where all of the appliances start to die in spectacular fashion, months before the holidays. 

Dishwasher, washer, and dryer all down for the count in the last week. 

A/C is on it's last leg (thread about it before) and the icemaker in the fridge just crapped itself. Oh and the HOA says it's about time we paint our house a color of their choice and it would be nice if we had the roof replaced. I'll guess the master bathroom re-model will go on hold. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/20 8:15 p.m.

She's really gone.  My mother in law came today to help me box up the clothes to donate, pass on her craft stuff, and figure which jewelry goes to which of the girls. Now it's just me, the dog, and the house. In some ways it's a relief to have it done but in other ways it just makes everything so final. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/13/20 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

My dad died almost 2 years ago. I still have his phone number in my cell's contacts. 

We all say goodbye in our own way. Some of us never really do.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/13/20 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I've got some of my dad's tools in the garage so I get that feeling a lot, even though it's been 25+ years. You've got plenty of time to keep processing. You're actually doing great. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
10/13/20 10:34 p.m.

I still had a voice mail from a friend who passed away unexpectedly a year or two ago.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/20 11:00 p.m.
dxman92 said:

I still had a voice mail from a friend who passed away unexpectedly a year or two ago.

I am annoyed by losing my password for SpecialStage.com because I had a bunch of private message conversations with Jake Himes.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/13/20 11:02 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

She's really gone.  My mother in law came today to help me box up the clothes to donate, pass on her craft stuff, and figure which jewelry goes to which of the girls. Now it's just me, the dog, and the house. In some ways it's a relief to have it done but in other ways it just makes everything so final. 

It's funny how that hits you. Intellectually you know the person is gone but it takes awhile for you to get it emotionally.

My mom gave me 9 bucks before she died. I still have that cash in my wallet 4 years later. My dad cleaned up his house a bit but her stuff is still there. He doesn't want to donate her clothes, we live in a small town and the thought of one day coming across someone wearing her favorite shirt is horrible. He's planning on a bonfire for her stuff and I can't say I think it's a bad idea.

Grief is weird and very personal. I remember being absolutely pissed off that the world was still spinning after my mom died, it seems like it should have mattered more somehow. Later I realized how insane that thought was but it was very real at that moment

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/14/20 12:41 a.m.

I used to call my parents home phone when I knew nobody would be there just to hear the answering machine message my Mom had recorded four years earlier, three years before her stroke and later passing away.

That was my last real connection to how Mom was in her good days, the way I always remember her, that voice. 

Dad musta been berkeleying around w/ the machine and it got erased. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/20 1:31 a.m.

I'm so tired of being in debt, but there's no light at the end of the tunnel, it's a number 5 train headed to teenage years for our two kids.

Goddammit, I didn't have any debt before I met my wife, I was happily living paycheck to paycheck and messing with cars with the extra money.  Sure I may have spent money I shouldn't have on dumbassery, but I always managed to make ends meet and keep a roof over my head.

Now I have a wife, kids, mortgage and mountains of debt.  Seriously, how do people live like this?   I think bankruptcy is on the horizon for us.  We've berkeleyed this into a cocked hat.  Time to throw it all away and more or less start over. Unless something changes we're going to continue to tread water.

the worst part?  I love them dearly and while sometimes I feel like they'd be better off without me (hello insurance payout), I can't imagine life without them.

Anyone have any side hustle ideas for a reasonably techy and handy GRM'er?  I gotta do something with the skills and knowloedge I have (such as it is) to help us.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/14/20 6:10 a.m.

Wife was in a car accident last night. She is ok and the car is drivable. 

This our 3rd accident in the past 12 months, 4th in 24. We have had two vehicles totaled. None were our fault.  I would really appreciate it if we could just go a few years without having any more  bumper car activity. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
10/14/20 6:31 a.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

I know a guy who flips cars. He's quite successful at it. Buy the "mechanic's special", fix the problem, clean it up, resell for 2-3 times what you have into it...

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/14/20 7:15 a.m.

I didn't sleep well last night. All sorts of crap running through the dome. Headache. Grumpy and dragging this morning. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/14/20 8:02 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I'm right there with you. The older I get, the more stressed I am. And Im carrying around stress like never before. Ive noticed that my mind isn't satisfied until I have something to stress about. This has lead to losing sleep. Lots of sleep. If I wake up in the middle of the night, it takes hours for my brain to relax enough for me to sleep. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/14/20 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Almost every night 

This has been my concern lately:

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/14/20 8:50 a.m.

My dad passed away almost nine years ago.  I still have a couple of messages from him on my answering machine.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/20 10:15 a.m.

I have a couple messages I relisten to and I kept a couple things.  It felt good knowing things are going where they will be used and to who she wanted to have them. It still felt odd going through everything and now sitting in a half empty house.  Overall I'm not doing as bad as I probably should be thanks to everyone.  

1 ... 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UCXMXozblPjaVBVNcUuYBUGRK11Ek7nXZMU4jxEx5srNjJGnKwumF5UrB22oUaXr