10/20/20 11:00 a.m.
tuna55 said:
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

My healthcare options for the family for 2021: 

$5,061 in premiums + $7,100 out of pocket max; $3,200 deductible

$3,150 in premiums + $9,000 out of pocket max; $5,500 deductible

Lovely. 

Dang dude, those choices are nearly identical

I missed a part. For the first one, they contribute $600 to the HSA. Which makes them that much more identical. Also the deductibles. I hate this.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
10/20/20 11:03 a.m.

$5,061 in premiums + $7,700 out of pocket max

$3,150 in premiums + $9,000 out of pocket max.

Lovely. 

My premiums are over $12k for our middle of the road family plan. That's for a program that's all in network.... no going to whatever doctor you want. There are still deductibles and out of pocket costs. 

Its crazy. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/20/20 11:08 a.m.
Saron81 said:

$5,061 in premiums + $7,700 out of pocket max

$3,150 in premiums + $9,000 out of pocket max.

Lovely. 

My premiums are over $12k for our middle of the road family plan. That's for a program that's all in network.... no going to whatever doctor you want.

Its crazy. 

Between this and student loans, which I'm fortunate to not have (and my wife has minimal), this is breaking the middle class. This is just unsustainable. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/20/20 11:29 a.m.

I saved 100% on health insurance this year by not having any. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/20/20 11:52 a.m.

Taking on a few things with my son's E39 530i.  CCV system replacement (stock parts), and oil filter housing gasket.  Chasing a few codes indicating a lean condition.  I'm guessing vacuum leak.  Discovered the DISA valve was completely inoperative.

But my rant is that any part on a BMW, no matter how small or seemingly inconsequential, is inextricably tied to every other part of the car, and requires that the entire vehicle be completely disassembled in order to remove that one part.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
10/20/20 11:53 a.m.

Decided to do a long overdue claybar, polish and wax on the dually today.  My arms are about to fall off and I'm not even halfway done.  I'm getting to old for this... cheeky

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/20/20 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I hear you, I did my suburban last month. That's a lot of work. I cheated and bought a DA polisher from HF, Used Meguires ultimate polish and then waxed. It saved a lot of effort but it was still a ton of work.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/20/20 12:03 p.m.
Rodan said:

Decided to do a long overdue claybar, polish and wax on the dually today.  My arms are about to fall off and I'm not even halfway done.  I'm getting to old for this... cheeky

If ever there was a good reason to own a small car, ease of washing and waxing ( and clay-barring ) would be first.  It has literally been a few years since I washed my old dually, and longer still since I waxed it.  What it needs is a paint job--#7,384 on the to-do list.  laugh

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/20/20 12:04 p.m.

Made 2 loaves of bread today, beautiful golden brown outside, berkeleying raw in the middle

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/20/20 2:01 p.m.

Unholy Bavarian Borpschnizzle!  I have the oil filter housing in my hands!  Mwaaahhaaaaahaaaaaaaa!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/20/20 2:07 p.m.

Homeschooling is bad for us all

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/20/20 2:20 p.m.

Cars that make getting to spark plugs a chore.  I need to order a set of intake manifold gaskets before I can change the three rear plugs in my wife's car, my first time doing plugs on this car.  Not pleased especially since two of the front ones were very loose.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 3:35 p.m.

I ordered the wrong replacement map light console for my wife's car. She has a sunroof, I ordered a non-sunroof model because apparently I can't read. I'm able to send it back, but it's going to cost me $6. Oh, well.

I also found a 2.5 swapped NC Miata in North Carolina... in the furthest NE corner of the state. Given that I'm on-call for work, there's no way I'm going to be able to go look at it. Hope it sticks around, both so I can look at it and so maybe the price drops a bit.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/20/20 4:44 p.m.

Witnessed a gravel truck blatantly blow through a red light and some chick crossed over in front of him thinking he was going to stop.  BAM!

I want to get a dash camera but I don't want a wire running across the dash.   Can I wire one into my Silverado onstar mirror?

slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/21/20 8:34 a.m.

I spent an hour rebuilding the rear axle twice on my son's R/C car, only for it to crap out both times. First time the pinion gear finally proved to be worn beyond adjustable use. The second time I rebuild the entire housing using metal gears, only for it to spit out the axle shaft during testing. Kind of like when a Ford 8.8" spits out the C-clip. And just like a Ford 8.8", the fix means tearing the axle down completely...again.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/21/20 8:46 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Came here to say this. Constant yelling, screaming, and fighting while I'm trying to work in the basement. Then, my wife comes down stairs all fired up yelling while rehashing the whole ordeal. This is bad, really bad for my mental health. I'm over it. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/21/20 9:22 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Came here to say this. Constant yelling, screaming, and fighting while I'm trying to work in the basement. Then, my wife comes down stairs all fired up yelling while rehashing the whole ordeal. This is bad, really bad for my mental health. I'm over it. 

We were homeschooling before everything went into lock down, and you both have my sympathy. You guys got forced into it, we had a choice that we approached over nearly a year of consideration. Plus having to figure out how to work from home. The only thing I can recommend is finding a place to vent (like here) and some friends in the same boat who you can talk with for support.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/20 9:23 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

Cars that make getting to spark plugs a chore.  I need to order a set of intake manifold gaskets before I can change the three rear plugs in my wife's car, my first time doing plugs on this car.  Not pleased especially since two of the front ones were very loose.

Are you sure you need a gasket set?  All the cars I've seen that required upper plenum removal to change the plugs had reusable seals.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/21/20 11:50 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

The seals are reusable, but the motor has 167K miles on it so I figured it would be best to replace at this point.  At he very least I want a set on hand in case Murphy makes an appearance. 

wae
wae UberDork
10/21/20 11:55 a.m.

In today's episode of "what the hell is wrong with people"....  We were at the store last night and needed to get a bottle of something from the supplement aisle.  What in the everloving berkeley is with every vitamin and whatnot being sold as a "gummy".  For adults.  For crying out loud, people, it's a damned pill.  Just nut up and swallow the thing.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/21/20 12:03 p.m.
wae said:

In today's episode of "what the hell is wrong with people"....  We were at the store last night and needed to get a bottle of something from the supplement aisle.  What in the everloving berkeley is with every vitamin and whatnot being sold as a "gummy".  For adults.  For crying out loud, people, it's a damned pill.  Just nut up and swallow the thing.

This has to be the most minor of all rants.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/21/20 12:10 p.m.

Dear God, would it be too selfish to ask that I have an extra six hours in each day?

Yours, Tuna

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/21/20 12:10 p.m.

(yes it would)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/21/20 12:54 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I found the CCTV footage from the store you visited. Did you get your glazed donut?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/21/20 1:15 p.m.

Nothing about education is working out right now. My wife is a teacher and she knows two teachers that have quit already this year and a several more who are now on various pills.

She is on maternity leave until Thanksgiving and has already talked about possibly trying to find another job because of what she is seeing teachers going through.

1 ... 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
veBQa6hOtr8LUkrngHZsNZfftOavVLPbhvflrUWyvJDhiWj3uFuAHrb8r8vk5bd8