1 ... 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 ... 1406
mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/9/21 1:10 a.m.

Put the kid to bed. She went right to sleep. Then my wife and I had a nice, ahem, "talk", and I was very merry, then fell asleep. Slept from 8-11. Now I can't get back to sleep. WTF? Rookie Dad mistake, not taking advantage of the sleeping baby to... Well, sleep (though I did for 3 hours, but it is not my normal schedule, so knocked me out of whack).

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/9/21 9:18 a.m.

Trying to adapt to the pressures of sizing beer batches to predict the necessary volume to meet demand in this crazy world we now live in. Kicking myself because in an experiment where I tried THREE new things for the very first time, I only got half the increase I expected to.

I keep needing to tell myself I didn't fail. I just didn't succeed as well as I would have liked.

Full explanation:

Our brew system is designed to produce ~20bbls per batch (1bbl = 31 gallons, or 2 full sized kegs). We have a first row of tanks that will ferment 20bbls. We installed a second row of tanks that can hold 40bbls (2 batched).

We've did a beer that we know is going to sell well. It's themed for a supporters group for the local soccer team, the Columbus Crew. This is a big deal because our bar is the home of the grassroots movement to Save the Crew (that's a much longer and sordid story, but it's apparently a first in U.S. professional sports). So we know this beer is going to sell well and people are going to want a lot of cans. The nature of the mobile canning company we use, it really only makes financial sense to bring them out if we can package out at least 20bbls.

So... we knew we wanted more than 20bbls, but weren't confident that there'd be enough demand for 40. So, I figured the best solution would be to produce *30*.

Rather than brew two 15bbl batches, I figured the easy way would be to brew one 20bbl batch at 1.5x strength and dilute to target since it's a <5% beer. This is a very common practice. I've done this at well respected craft breweries. I've never done it on our system though.

The supporters group also wanted a lager, I was under a time crunch to get this out in time for our season opener - especially with the extra lagering time - and used a new yeast strain.

This was also the first batch of beer done in these new 40bbl tanks.

We're now transferring to the packaging tank, and instead of ~30bbls of beer, it looks like we got 24-25bbls. Damn. That's going to make our keg supply really tight once we can out 20bbls.

What looks like happened was I had chilling issues with the new tank. Looks like the cone at the bottom of the tank got too cold and froze up the base of the tank. This isn't a problem in itself. It can be thawed out. But it meant that the yeast and extra hops from dry-hopping did not settle to the bottom neatly like they usually do. The new yeast strain may or may not have contributed to this. So there's a lot of liquid that just isn't saleable because it's mostly beer, but has enough yeast and/or hop sediment to not be packageable. And we don't filter or contrifuge, so I can't separate the good liquid from crud, so it's gotta go down the drain.

So, the new dilution procedure probably netted me a bit less than I anticipated, but then the cooling issues lost me even more. If only one of these had happened, it wouldn't be a big deal. But they BOTH happened at the same time in the worst possible beer to be be a bit low on.

So now we have to figure out if we need another batch of this before it's even had a chance to hit market to see what response is going to be.

I need to keep reminding myself that I learned a LOT about my system and procedures from this, and that my experiment didn't fail. I just didn't succeed as well as I'd wanted to.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
4/9/21 12:27 p.m.

The price of used dirt bikes has gotten out of control. Pre pandemic I was looking to pick up a cheap 125/250 that were abandoned projects. All day long on Facebook marketplace for $500 and below. Those same bikes are now asking $2,000 and they sell for that. Old running janky 2-strokes are going for $3k. It's wild. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
4/9/21 12:39 p.m.

I know.

I look at bikes all day every day, and while there still are some deals out there, (though you have to be quick to get them), there are a lot of people trying to get rich. I bought a YZ125 late 2019, and have been riding it since. I could get exactly what I paid for it OTD today as a used bike. It's the worst bike market I've ever seen.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
4/9/21 8:47 p.m.

PSA: don't be the only car guy in your family/friend circle. 

Dad is a car guy, but only If the car is pre-computer. So that leaves me. Sis sold bro a well-used sl1 for very reasonable $. It's ok but the main fan doesn't work and the oil goes away. Keep the oil full and watch the temp when traffic starts up and it's fine. I'm several hundred miles away so I don't know if the fan is bad or the relay or what. Bro is not dumb but he's not very mechanically inclined. Today he overheated it. I don't know if anything is damaged but somehow there's drama and I'm dragged into it. Given a few minutes I could determine the issue and facilitate a repair, and I'd be happy to help, but that's not how my family operates. Instead it's better somehow to get hurt feelings and pressure me into trying to fix something remotely. 
And I've been struggling with sleep and having mood swings (prescription side effects) and this has me all worked up, and the house is unusually full (for a week now) with family and extra toddlers visiting and everyone's sleep/nap schedules are not meshing.  
And I've been wanting to do more with my music but currently all the stuff is in daughters room so once she is asleep I can't turn on a guitar or drums, and before she's asleep there's always a list of things that absolutely cannot possibly wait. And all my foreseeable days off have been commandeered already.

Just burning out on this week. Hoping the summer brings big checks and we can finally get out of this place and on our own again. Maybe we can find a place with a garage. One with a bathroom and hammock, that could be locked from the inside and soundproofed. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/9/21 11:11 p.m.
Appleseed said:

There was what looked to be hanging very low, like elbow height, a couple of power lines when I was hammering stakes. My buddy says to be careful. Dont touch it. If its power, it might kill you. 

I laughed and said, "Well, at least my kid will be set from the inevitable lawsuit."

And for a split second,  gave it serious thought. 

Aunt Flow is visiting for the next 4-5 days.

I should have grabbed that wire.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/10/21 4:44 a.m.

It was a decent few months but now it's time to play another round of "is she alive".

We'd gotten back to talking almost daily and being able to let me know if I was going to go a week without hearing from her due to treatments. They were talking about sending her to a rehab facility for pt so she'd be able to go home some time this month but no date was set, then she asked if I could send flowers for Easter to cheer her up. Saturday afternoon the florist called to say she wasn't there. I called the hospital and they no longer had her as a patient. I was hopeful that they'd gotten her a spot in rehab and moved her. It's been a week now and no response.  I'm hoping she's too exhausted to respond, it's happened before, but I can't help but think the worst. Ugh 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/10/21 8:46 a.m.

While the car is under warranty, I've been trying to get routine maintenance done at the dealership. No reason, other than it would theoretically make a warranty claim easier. 

No longer. 30k mile service. Everything is a check, including the cabin and engine air filters. Check transmission, brake fluid, put in either sea foam or some snake oil into the fuel system... Also check about 1,000 other things. I'm guessing it'll be about $200, knowing I'm getting ripped off but ok with it. 

nope. 

$650. 

Then when I declined that in favor of just an oil change, the advisor said I could void my warranty if I do it myself. berkeley off buddy. You and I both know that is a blatant lie. 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/21 9:13 a.m.

Dear AutoZone, if you decide to put an online order on hold for reasons of "computer says no", maybe give the customer an easy way to find out and get in touch with you rather than have the customer wonder on the supposed day of delivery where the parts are?

That's at least a 4-5 day delay on a relatively time sensitive project, and I'm now kicking myself for not ordering the parts from one of your online competitors in the first place.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
4/10/21 11:19 a.m.

A special double rant today

One: you NPCs have WAY too much faith in some strangers ability to strap down oversized and possibly illegal loads. I even hung a Damn flag on the 12 foot long boards hanging out of my 6 foot bed and STILL, you insist on stopping on my bumper on a hill. I should really just clutch roll into these people.

Two: I've smelled your BBQ for a year, finally decide to stop. Hey that's pricey, but it smells good. YOU FORGOT TO SEASON ANYTHING INCLUDING YOUR SAUCE. the cook was great, tender as hell, but that was some of the blandest BBQ I've ever had, paid for or not. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/10/21 5:14 p.m.

SWMBOs story on taking a job out of town changed from "We'll worry about that when it happens" to "No" once I actually got an offer.

I guess I should have listened harder.  And it was on a project I'd have liked to have worked on.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/10/21 6:25 p.m.

Woke up with a bad headache today. It's like a sinus headache and migraine rolled into one. I have a stiff neck and my throat feels swollen? and there is pressure in my ears.

One of my coworkers invited me over for drinks at his house tonight but I don't feel like leaving the house frown

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/10/21 6:53 p.m.

So here I sit approaching 2.5 hours waiting on AAA. AN hose to my oil cooler pulled out of the fitting during fun runs at the end of today's auto x, oiling down the WHOLE course in the process. Put an end to everyone's fun and left a hell of a mess to clean up.

Worst part is due to COVID current AAA policy is no one can ride in the tow truck, so I had to call SWMBO to pick me up and she's now been stuck here waiting with me as well. She is not amused, to say the least.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/21 6:58 p.m.

I'm old and out of shape. Today's 3 seasonal tire swaps, plus 2 oil changes, plus humping 12 mounted tires round trip between shed and driveway, wore me right out, and I don't feel like working on headers tonight.

Toyman01 ( + Sized and...)
Toyman01 ( + Sized and...) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/21 7:09 p.m.

Helping daughter troubleshoot a code on her Sonic Turbo. She had to pull the bumper cover to get to the intercooler piping. The cover is pretty cracked up due to a disagreement with a coon. Price it on Rock Auto, $46. Wow, that's cheap. Throw it on the order with the 3 sensors we are going to replace. 

Freight is $198.00. surprise

Check bumper cover price on Amazon. $88.00 with free shipping. This is why they are taking over the world. 

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/10/21 7:24 p.m.

Still waiting...

I think it might soon be time to buy a car trailer.

4/10/21 7:53 p.m.

Calling my wife and asking her to tell her brother to not come to a family funeral because your rich family member thinks he's the devil incarnate is a dick move. I don't particularly like the guy either but you need to pick up the phone and do your own dirty work. Dragging her into it is not acceptable. 

Better yet, tell Ms. Richy Rich to put on her big girl panties and deal with it. I bet that call wouldn't be made if the money was in the other pocket. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/10/21 9:25 p.m.
Toyman01 ( + Sized and...) said:

Helping daughter troubleshoot a code on her Sonic Turbo. She had to pull the bumper cover to get to the intercooler piping. The cover is pretty cracked up due to a disagreement with a coon. Price it on Rock Auto, $46. Wow, that's cheap. Throw it on the order with the 3 sensors we are going to replace. 

Freight is $198.00. surprise

Check bumper cover price on Amazon. $88.00 with free shipping. This is why they are taking over the world. 

This immediately made me check Amazon, as the 4Runner looks a little less fresh lately. I noticed they're coming out of a third party seller who paints to order named MBI Auto. I googled them, and found https://bumpersthatdeliver.com/

No idea if they're any good, but if you want to keep Amazon out of it, this might be an option. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
4/10/21 9:36 p.m.

Looks like no RMRW for me because a certain dumbass got burned by the book of faces and a lack of coordinating to buy a "ticket" from the current time zone. I'm not going to tow 15hrs one way in hopes of my wait list ticket being turned into a participant one...

Just another kick in the Jimmies... as if this year hasn't done that enough....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/10/21 10:16 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm old and out of shape. Today's 3 seasonal tire swaps, plus 2 oil changes, plus humping 12 mounted tires round trip between shed and driveway, wore me right out, and I don't feel like working on headers tonight.

Don't feel too bad.  Today's schedule was to collect my trailer and take it to work, where I could pull the wheel bearings for identification so I could replace them.  Then mount and balance two tires on some wheels I'd painted yesterday, dismount two tires so I can repaint the wheels today and remount the tires inside out tomorrow, then drive back to my garage and do some rearend work.

Instead,  I woke up, decided that was not a good idea, and went back to bed.  Yesterday's work beat me right the hell up (9 straight hours without food, no time, we were BUSY)

4/11/21 6:07 a.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

$200 painted to match her car. That's a pretty decent deal for a painted bumper cover. I'll pass it on to my daughter. 

Thanks!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/11/21 8:31 a.m.

I think I just figured out "dad jokes".  They have to be cheesy and innocuous because it's better to elicit a groan from a family member than to say something funnier that could actively piss them off, due to the minefield of built up issues between you and them.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/11/21 1:54 p.m.

The GS needed a new exhaust, and with it all 3 catalytic converters. I may have been able to salvage 2 of them, but it would have required copious amounts of jb weld as everything on it was so rusted that there was nothing to attach anything to (and, dammit living in an emissions area, even if I do like the impact it has). So I threw it up on Facebook, sold it within 3 hours for asking, which was NOT expected. Car prices have gotten STUPID. 

Anyways, now I need a car. I normally love car shopping, but it sucks when you need a car on a timeline. I think I'm going to buy my brothers rusty TSX, for what I think is too high a price, because anything else out there is all overpriced too. This one I at least have the past 7 years of maintenance records. A prius makes more sense, but I really really want a manual. 

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
4/11/21 6:34 p.m.

Fixed the PS on the M3.
Now it 100% will not idle.

This long series of E36 M3 going wrong also means that I now 100% do not trust the car. (Shout out to the recently non functional windows and permanent low coolant warning)

Thus, no longer a candidate to track. So I've *also* wasted my entry fee for the event at the end of the month.  

berkeley my life.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/11/21 7:19 p.m.

I don't know what Elder God of Welding it was that I pissed off, but jeez.

Dig out the MIG welder to stick some metal together with lightning.  Lens is missing from the low pressure gauge on the regulator, and so it is needle.  Erk.  Well, I never really change the regulator, so let's go with it.  Connect it up to the bottle (a little 20 cubic foot unit) open the valve and hissssssssss.  Remove regulator, verify everything is happy and clean, reconnect, giving everything some extra wiggle centerage while tightening.  Hisssssss.  Okay, I'll just open the valve only when I'm actually ready to start welding.

Get my workpiece ready, then get about half a weld inch done when we stop getting wire feed.  Tap tap, no it's not stuck to the tip.  Give the wire a yank and it breaks off in the gun.  Er?  Shut everything down, pull the cover off, and we have a Peanuts-grade snarl happening in there.  Cut wire, pull backwards out of feed mechanism, find that the wire had somehow KNOTTED itself.  Oy.

While attempting to re-feed, the wire got stuck somewhere and would not go through.  Removed tip, still no go.  Removed the piece the tip screws into so I can get right to the liner, and nope.  No wire visible, nothin'.   Should be pointed out that the wire spool kept unspooling itself, and being cheap I kept trying to re-spool it.  I did end up throwing away about a pound of wire in three or four large increments as it would sometimes kink while respooling it, and I'm already having feeding problems.

Finally, I'm pushing the wire through manually, and I wiggle the gun, and the wire pops through.  Success!  Reassemble everything, welder on, gas on, helmet on, light aimed at work, and.... no feed.

Gas off, welder off, lid open, realize that I was so thrilled that I completely forgot to put the drive roller tensioner thing back on.

Once going, my welds were freakin' incredible, at least. 

So is it Thor?  Hephaestus?  To whom do I sacrifice a fatted calf?  Fatted calves are hard to come by around here but I can go to Rally's and get a Big Buford to burn...

1 ... 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 ... 1406
Our Preferred Partners
fTsHpHuampAfRA4LOVLoGgamdOvjyF8ZUzcox8CCPuMq0Dsg8l3rx6Ire7LrdLb7