1 ... 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 ... 1406
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
4/11/21 7:49 p.m.

Well, it's that time of year again- we're getting donations for the annual yard sale that The Dancer's non-profit holds (and more specifically, that she and I have to do almost entirely on our own because most of the rest of the board are lazy berks who do as little as possible and don't want to be up at 7am or earlier to help set up and run a yard sale) and it's time for the annual fight with her- which I always lose because it's hard to be a dick about things regarding a non-profit that helps special-needs kids- about using the garage to store all the crap that gets donated. It's normally a frustration- but this year it has me a lot more pissed off than usual. Why? Because it means that it will be another month and a half until I can have the body and frame on the DMC side-by-side so I can work on both, and will instead have to jack up and support the body as far up as I can so I can work on stripping the frame. "Well, you've been talking about doing this work on the DeLorean for like 6 years now, what's a few months matter?" she says... it matters because I was actually making progress, and this totally kills my momentum (and frustrates me that she apparently just doesn't get that this project really matters to me and that she assumes- as usual- that her non-profit takes precedence over everything else).

I need to stop ranting, it's just getting me pissed off even more. I'm tired of fighting over the space in the garage- tomorrow I'm going to more seriously research two things- how much it would cost for me to rent a space where I could work on the car or (ideally) if I can find a self-storage place that will donate the use of a unit for the non-profit to store E36 M3 in so it's not ending up taking of space in our garage.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/12/21 6:11 a.m.

I've figured out what I really hate about car buying nowadays: My wife's involvement. Or her desired involvement. She wants to help. I'd love to have her help, but she has no freaking clue about value of anything, what I want, what things can rule a car out... This is something that I really just want to do on my own. And any time I do involve her, she just gets stressed. I get close to a decision, ask for her input, and it doesn't go anywhere. Or she has too many doubts about it. 

It doesn't help that the vehicle that I want (and probably dozens of us, everywhere!) doesn't really exist anymore - or at least it is quickly dwindling. Give me a (1) 200hp, RWD, manual transmission, (2)Four door, and (3) reliable and affordable to maintain. You can pick two out of that group of 3. Sure, you can say the answer to that question is BMW, but any that fit that bill - even at double my budget (budget is ~$3,500, but may go higher) are getting long in the tooth and need too much. G35/37 is probably the closest I can get to that, but not quite in the budget except for basket cases. I guess my real rant here is that I don't have a big enough budget. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/12/21 6:18 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

IS250?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/12/21 6:29 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to mtn :

IS250?

That is one of the few cars I just do not fit in comfortably, no matter how I arrange the seat. I always end up staring out the sun visor, or else I'm too far from the pedals/steering wheel. I've tried multiple times, even sitting in one at a dealership for 20 minutes after a test drive and having my dad do the same in the passenger seat as I really, really loved that car. But it just did not fit me well. If it had even a 1/2 inch taller windscreen, or if the chair rail was 1/2 inch lower, I might could make it fit. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/12/21 6:30 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Changing a seat out is not that difficult.  IS250 with sweet Recaros!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/12/21 6:31 a.m.

I make the hard boiled eggs for my breakfast. I make a week at a time,  as i don't have tine in the day to do it more often than fridays. 

Why the berkeley did i only have two this morning? Make your own eggs. Or just don't eat mine. Not berkeleying hard.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/12/21 8:00 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

From experience it's going to be easier to make more eggs than to get either of the other two to happen. Once there's surplus eggs they'll probably decide they don't like eggs anymore just to aggravate you once more 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/12/21 9:03 a.m.

The Yaris has a brake line that is starting to seep fluid. WTF. It's a ten year old car and the brake lines are rusted out.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/12/21 9:23 a.m.
NickD said:

The Yaris has a brake line that is starting to seep fluid. WTF. It's a ten year old car and the brake lines are rusted out.

They last twice as long as GMT800 and GMT900 brake lines?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/12/21 9:28 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Too bad you and a few other GRMers aren't really close by me.  This place closed down recently, so I assume will be coming up for rent soon:  Bay 6 Garage.  It's only a few minutes from my house.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
4/12/21 9:46 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

That looks like it would be perfect. I still kind of regret never looking into what it would have cost to rent (or possibly buy...) the little 1 or 2 bay shop that used to be located in the shopping center at the end of my road (like 2 minutes away). That ship sailed several years ago though when someone bought it and converted the building (sealing up the bay doors and such) into a liquor store.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/12/21 11:19 a.m.

I spent 6.5 hours yesterday doing my taxes. I'm OK with paying my taxes but it shouldn't be this hard to do it.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/21 5:26 p.m.

Finally went to register my boat and trailer in my name.  I understand that I have to make an appointment with the DMV to do this, I have not problem with that, I do not even mind that the next available appointment is in a month.  What I have an issue with is that I cannot register both at the same time.  I cannot even make two appointments on the same day to do both.  This would not be a problem if it was at the Local DMV.. but no, the bottom four counties of NJ only have DMV offices that do licensing.  To do Titles and registration I have to go over an hour away.  This means two trips, on two different days to do something that should take all of 15 minutes combined.

And I still need to re-register the trailer under my other boat as I missed the 60 day window you could do it online thanks to how slow the USPS is right now.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/21 9:53 p.m.

First world problems:

The Subaru decided it wants to run a bit hot on the way home from my bike ride today (I drive to a trail access point). I'm hoping it's simple and easy, like a radiator cap or a thermostat that's stuck closed (as unlikely as that may be). 

This is after my wife's Frazda6 decided it wanted to die.

The FUNNY part about this is that we're trying to buy my wife a new car and apparently nobody wants to sell me one. They want to talk about selling me one, even though I've said the first dealership to provide the lowest out the door quote with a VIN attached gets to sell me a car. I don't *care* about the extras. I want a car, not salesmanship theater, concierge delivery, emergency fabric cleaning, free headlight polishing during the first 5000 miles or any of that. It doesn't make me feel important, it aggravates me. 

Subaru is in the lead right now, with a WRX. Volkswagen needs to step up their game if they want to sell us a GTI. 

Toyman01 ( + Sized and...)
Toyman01 ( + Sized and...) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/21 6:34 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

Take all the paperwork for both boats to your first appointment. I know it's hard to imagine, but on occasion, you do find a human being working the counter at a government office instead of a useless bureaucrat. If so, she/he may be willing to process both boats while you are standing there. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/13/21 7:34 a.m.

Roughly 60K on the new Pacifica. I like to do transmission fluid/filter on the Caravan at 60k, roughly twice the interval they recommend (they recommend fluid only aT 60 I think, then filter at 120k, don't check my work, it was something like that)

I check Rockauto, sure looks like the same filter part number as the Caravan. I buy it. I grab some ATF+4 because that's what Chrysler always uses for everything.

During the last oil change Friday I notice the thing has a giant underbody tray. I go on top, can't find the fill tube. The cheat on the Caravan was to use the engine oil dipstick in the fill tube for the transmission, mark it when it's hot, then use it when refilling. They expect you to either have a scan tool or measure what comes out and replace it. I poke around, get sick of it, realize I am already late to do the things, and just call "good buddy, fellow deacon, and service advisor at a local place". he says they can do it for me after my vaccine on Monday, when I am out of work and have the van anyway.

Twenty minutes after they take the van back I get called. No filter. No pan, even. No drain plug. Not even ATF+4. I became that guy, who brings the wrong parts for the job to the shop. Instead of just asking for a pain job to get handled, I now get to walk the walk of shame by buying the wrong fluid and a nonexistent filter. That one hurt.

$232 + shame + $50 in nonreturnable stuff from RockAuto.

Anyone want the filter and fluid? 

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/13/21 9:41 a.m.

Call me Charlie Brown. My boss is Lucy. My goals are the football. 

While he isn't necessarily wrong, you can't keep changing the goals right when we are about to punt and it's time to play the game with the customer. There is no time left to change goals. So frustrating, and tiring.  Job hunt starting back up after this business trip. I couldn't take a new job now anyway since it would completely screw over our company. Ethically I can't do that. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/13/21 10:14 a.m.
PMRacing said:

Call me Charlie Brown. My boss is Lucy. My goals are the football. 

[Company screwing over PMRacing]

While he isn't necessarily wrong, you can't keep changing the goals right when we are about to punt and it's time to play the game with the customer. There is no time left to change goals.

[/Company screwing over PMRacing]

So frustrating, and tiring.  Job hunt starting back up after this business trip. I couldn't take a new job now anyway since it would completely screw over our company. Ethically I can't do that. 

Maybe a little bit of a different way of thinking for your ethics.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/13/21 11:52 a.m.

Saturday our guests leave. We had fun, but everyone was tired.

TunaKid #4 screaming for an hour for... reasons. I still don't understand.

TunaKid #2 screamed for an hour because he couldn't find the right blanket. He's 11.

TunaKid #1 gets riled up and screams for a 1/2 hour overlapping a bit with #2 because #2 is screaming.

They finally get quiet. TunaWife and I play a card game. She says something, I was mildly put off. I just stop, drop my head a bit. She asks, I say nevermind.

Tunawife screams for an hour. We go to sleep around 1:30

Church the next day, I have to open for the early service. I get up at 6. I do the things, then start waking people up. Everyone hates me because I am the one that woke them up.

Four people scream at me, for things that I didn't do, then get mad at me for not getting enough sleep. When do I get to scream at someone?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/13/21 12:06 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

Out of curiosity, why not just register the trailer in Maine online of via snailmail?  There's a reason so many people do that.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
4/14/21 8:03 a.m.

Today's lunch break will be spent at the orthopedic office getting jammed with a needle. I don't do well with needles. Dizzy, nauseous, can't walk unaided for about half an hour is the usual reaction. 

hopefully this time tomorrow my dominant wrist won't be hurting anymore, but I'm still very much not looking forward to 1:40. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/14/21 8:20 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Be glad you aren't diabetic.  You get used to that E36 M3 real quick. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
4/14/21 8:50 a.m.

I have a part on eBay for $175 or make an offer. I got an offer for $45 and free shipping across the country. After eBay takes their 49% cut I'd be left at zero money made.

I respectively declined instead of countering at $174.99 like I wanted to. 

wae
wae UberDork
4/14/21 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

I found that auto-declining offers below a certain threshold really helped to keep my blood pressure from going through the roof.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/14/21 9:27 a.m.

Spent almost an hour driving to my VA appointment this morning only to find out that it's a video appointment. Of course they didn't tell me that when I made the appointment 6 days ago, only that "we'll email you the appointment details." You know when I received that email? At 0811 this morning, 19 minutes before my appointment started.

berkeleying ridiculous angry

1 ... 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 ... 1406
Our Preferred Partners
cj2p4B2b49qgDJfbTQzV7K81OIYzR0E6HyglQoA8cyiOBFvz3Pnlyy93xXU7P169