1 ... 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 ... 1927
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/17/21 9:05 a.m.

halfway through pass two with the motorized shoulder destroyer and the berkeleying pull cord ripped out. But no, still too wet for any of the people who have tractor mounted ones on face place. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/17/21 9:45 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Have you considered block? Obviously not the best for every situation but it deletes wood for framing, OSB/sheeting, drywall and insulation.

And funnily enough the price is lower for block than it's been in recent memory up here

I will look into it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/17/21 11:48 a.m.

My new phone has an extremely polite spell check.

Such a sucky thing to not be able to type in such with a k.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/21 4:00 p.m.

That's the second flipping time I locked myself out of my truck in the same Costco parking lot. Never happened anywhere else, just this particular parking lot. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
4/17/21 4:10 p.m.

Ran out of paint while painting the rollcage in my Miata.  Traffic was stupid running to HD Racing and back, and by the time I got home it had started raining...  

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
4/17/21 5:23 p.m.

I came home from a 12hr night shift Friday morning and only got a few hours sleep because my Mom's doctor wanted to explain to me what's happening. It's not good news. Our phone appointment was for 11:30am so I was up and ready... for her call at 1pm...

So I got the smoker ready while I was waiting and smoked a rack of ribs from the pig we just put in the freezer. It was only one rack so we made up a few pounds of wings to fill in the gap. 

It was great but between the major lack of sleep, the rich and spicy wings and BBQ, the half bottle of spiced rum and half dozen beers I consumed last night I woke up this morning  exhausted,  hung over, and with indigestion so bad I could barely keep my coffee down.

The only thing I accomplished today was an afternoon nap. But between that and the 20oz steak I just inhaled, I feel much better and I'm off to the corner store to get more beer.  Lather, rinse, and repeat...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/17/21 6:44 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

That's the second flipping time I locked myself out of my truck in the same Costco parking lot. Never happened anywhere else, just this particular parking lot. 

The Costco wants you to spend more time looking for deals.  Stay in the Costco.  Love the Costco

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/17/21 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
4/17/21 8:29 p.m.

I just can't help it; I'm in line at Menards and a guy compliments my sweatshirt then asks what I'm in to. "Old VW, Mercedes, BMW etc" and he says oh ive got an old beetle I've been meaning to sell. "Oh?". 69 Vert, basket case, empi's you know. Now I have a beetle I'm not even sure I want.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/21 11:03 p.m.

I found Kim's obituary today. She had been moved to hospice three weeks before she passed which is why the flowers didn't get to her.  She never said it and continued to talk like rehab was possible which while sad to me isn't surprising. I was supposed to be the upbeat cheerleader which I likely would have sucked at had I known. I also never told her how she is likely the reason I'm still here as I didn't want her to worry I might still be considering it.  I'm not, I've gotten help and a different perspective on a number of things now. 

I'm glad I was able to stay in contact to the end. She asked several times if I wanted to bail but she always seemed appreciative of the funny stories, pictures from outside, and general goofyness.  My only hope is that once she moved to hospice her daughter was finally able to visit her. I can't imagine the hell that poor girl has been through. Not that it makes a difference to me now but the cancer was Ewing's Sarcoma which in hindsight explains all the problems she had last summer. 

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and words as I've gone through the past year. It means a lot to me. I don't know if it's a good idea or not but I did a little googling and found her family. I sent a little note letting them know how much she helped. Maybe it will be nice for them to know. 

Hopefully I'm almost out of depressing news to share with you all. I really appreciate everyone's patience and caring through out this 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/21 12:27 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

We're here for you. Vent all you wish, and let us know if we can help. I'm guessing many of us will. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/18/21 12:30 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

2 people needed help and found each other. That's a rare thing. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/18/21 6:12 a.m.

Sending the note was ABSOLUTELY a good idea. Her family will appreciate hearing from someone who appreciates her.

Bring whatever you got here, and we'll do whatever we can.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/18/21 8:16 a.m.

It's never a bad idea to tell someone how much they mean to you.  Or to tell the family of someone how much a person means or meant to you.  All I ever want in life is to know that I've raised kind and caring children, and that I didn't willfuly make other people's lives worse.  If I've made them better, that's a bonus.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/18/21 1:20 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

*ahem*

99% of the time I've had to look for wiring problems on a truck, it's because some bozo installed a trailer harness with unsealed butt splices, or vampire taps, or Scotch-Locks, and wadded it up with electrical tape, which mostly serves to lock moisture in for freshness.

Let us just assume for a moment that I am a recent inductee to being that Bozo, (though to be 100% clear, the splices are *inside* the passenger compartment) what is my next move?

Most of my joints in a recent audio install were heat shrink butt splices, but I needed to tap the parking brake lead and a backup bulb.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/21 2:50 p.m.

Turns out it is going to be about $19,000 to reconnect the house to the sewer system, including tree removal.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/18/21 2:52 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Jesus, that's a lot more than even a septic here

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/18/21 3:15 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Turns out it is going to be about $19,000 to reconnect the house to the sewer system, including tree removal.

Ouch.  No hope of one of those formed in place fiberglass linings ?

Here, the city owns from my foundation to the street, and is responsible.  No hope of that for you?

On the upside, you will be in good shape from here on in.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/18/21 3:58 p.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

Well, I admit to having a couple of those in my RX-7 for the past ten years. 

INSIDE the car, not underneath.

And if they ever do fail, well, I knew the risks.  But it's been ten years...

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/18/21 4:00 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Ouch.  No hope of one of those formed in place fiberglass linings ?

Here, the city owns from my foundation to the street, and is responsible.  No hope of that for you?

On the upside, you will be in good shape from here on in.

No idea.  All I know is I got home on Saturday and was told it was $3000 for attempted cleaning and inspection (gotta love emergency/weekend rates), it will be $6000 to fix the problem under the front lawn, and the last estimate for tree removal we got was $10k.  

Tree really needs to go, anyway, its roots are destroying the sidewalk and the driveway.  And, apparently, the plumbing.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/18/21 4:14 p.m.

"Attempted cleaning" means the tree roots are too involved to get through with the rooter?  I had that once, wound up changing the elbow down into the sewer main in the street.  I still have to get it ground out every year or two, from a joint in the pipe 24 feet away from the clean out.

$3k is a long dollar for a roto rooter guy.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/18/21 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

They tried jetting, snaking, and ended up using a camera and marking out on the lawn where the problem was.  They were there for like six hours, and I for one wouldn't be working sewage at 11pm on a weekend unless I was gettin' paid.  Hurts financially but I get that.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/18/21 4:39 p.m.

Goddam trees.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/18/21 5:30 p.m.

Well, I talked to someone who isn't stone deaf and too proud to admit it.

Yesterday was $330.

But, they wanted a $3000 down payment before they came out on Tuesday to dig up the yard, for a $6000 total bill.

The tree will be roughly $8000.

So not nearly as bad, but still not awesome.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/21 7:04 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

$8k to pull a tree??!! Ouch! I just had two 60' tall pines removed for the princely sum of $950. 

1 ... 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WRwXdihPPHaigtYDJSUFjlLNyy99U51yUWMH5RJ1AmAUXyU16JHDKrg0BPpoR5YF