In reply to Mndsm :

That's not normal this early?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/28/21 6:18 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

That's not normal this early?

I usually restrict it to mammals that might actually be able to work the doors. Squirrels are kinda mangy here. Not real strong. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/28/21 7:24 a.m.

If I can run your games/apps on android, would it really be so hard to backup my play data on my Google account instead of just face book? So when you update your game/app and it breaks, I don't lose months of progress uninstalling and reinstalling or when I change phones?

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/21 7:52 a.m.

Apparently with the new mask guidelines from the CDC the Y is allowing more than one person per lane to swim laps at the pool. 1: I'm not sharing a lane with anyone until its been 2 weeks since my second vaccine shot (about a week from now) and 2: I didn't think that the 1-per-lane rule was really causing any problems- longest I ever had to wait was about 15 minutes.

RevRico
4/28/21 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Were they changing the water between swimmers before? Otherwise, I fail to see what difference the number of people per lane makes outside of some psychological feel good.

Not trying to be an shiny happy person, just don't quite understand the problem if the big vat full of pee and chlorine has 2 or 10 people in it.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/28/21 10:35 a.m.

FLAPS,

Get with the program. I just spent money on 2 front hubs for my vehicle and next day shipped them for less than your E36 M3ty version..... 
I'd much rather walk in and buy but not for a fleecing of seemingly epic proportions.

wae
wae UberDork
4/28/21 10:42 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I've heard it called "hygiene theater".

My rant:  Do I really look like that much of a good ole boy in my storage array vendor t-shirt and jeans with a Superman hat?  Do I have that much of a twang in my speech?  Why on earth do you think I would have any interest in hearing your justification as to why you think it doesn't matter if you like to refer to people with skin darker than yours by a term that is generally accepted to be about the nastiest slur you can use?  And then you want to have a discussion about the genitalia of the wife of the shop manager?  All I want is for the nice people in the shop to sell me a couple tires, mount them up, and take my money.  I really don't go in for political correctness or anything like that, but there's a lot of space between just being an impolite boor and ÜberWöke.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
4/28/21 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Most of the pool rules were to limit people gathering out of the pool.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/21 11:34 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

My assumption (and how I looked at it) was that while masks were required everywhere else in the facility but it was impossible to swim in a mask (I suppose 'impossible' is a bit too strong of a term, but still- far harder to swim in one than say lift weights or use a treadmill) that they were limiting it to 1 per lane to enforce some distancing so people weren't breathing on each other in close proximity. Sure, if you're in the middle of the lane side-by-side you're less than 6 feet apart, but you're also generally not side-by-side for more than a few seconds. Sharing a lane with someone puts them a LOT closer more frequently. 

In reply to j_tso :

Ironically I rarely saw anything of that likes enforced- but then, they had the pool ONLY open for lap swimming and I only ever go first thing in the morning, so there's not a lot of hanging out and socializing there.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/28/21 12:11 p.m.
wae said:

In reply to RevRico :

My rant:  Do I really look like that much of a good ole boy in my storage array vendor t-shirt and jeans with a Superman hat?  Do I have that much of a twang in my speech?  Why on earth do you think I would have any interest in hearing your justification as to why you think it doesn't matter if you like to refer to people with skin darker than yours by a term that is generally accepted to be about the nastiest slur you can use?  And then you want to have a discussion about the genitalia of the wife of the shop manager?  All I want is for the nice people in the shop to sell me a couple tires, mount them up, and take my money.  I really don't go in for political correctness or anything like that, but there's a lot of space between just being an impolite boor and ÜberWöke.

I'm always amazed at how many people are offended because society wants them to have some modicum of civility and and respect. They claim that such behavior is cancel culture and that political correctness taking over, but the truth is that it is common decency, and they're pissed that they're getting called out for their poor behavior. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/28/21 12:12 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

FLAPS,

Get with the program. I just spent money on 2 front hubs for my vehicle and next day shipped them for less than your E36 M3ty version..... 
I'd much rather walk in and buy but not for a fleecing of seemingly epic proportions.

Have you priced headlight bulbs lately?  It's ridiculous. Cheaper to just buy a bunch from RA and pay shipping, it's like they want us to buy them online.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/28/21 12:43 p.m.
wae said:

Local shop or chain store? Either way I'd be speaking to the manager. If it were my business I'd want to know. I heard enough racist crap from my family when I was younger that I really don't want to hear it today.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/28/21 2:34 p.m.

Sloppy driving irritates the berk out of me.

Today while driving to work, a beat up contractor truck was in front of me and switched lanes. I followed him into that lane about 10 seconds later to get around a slow moving car. About 30 seconds after that, he moves to the left again, into the far left lane. After completing the lane change, he drifted over the fog line and onto the shoulder where he kicked up a golf ball sized rock that flew up and hit my windshield, leaving a bulls eye with cracks radiating out about 1.5" in diameter.

Thanks shiny happy person sad

I'm trying to sell the truck to one of the online only car sales places and hopefully they will come pick it up this week. Now I need to decide if I should have the rock strike repaired before they perform the pricing inspection or just not worry about it.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/28/21 3:04 p.m.

This may turn out to be a win - it often does - but for now it is a rant.

I am always looking at used golf clubs on facebook markets. I like a lot of forgotten clubs, especially putters. I see an add for "golf", no brand. There looks to be about 5 clubs there. I can identify 3 of them. Based on what I can see, the whole kit is worth about $25. They have them advertised for $800. One of the clubs that I can identify is one of my favorites, so I offer $25. They come back with "the lowest we can go is $50". This is annoying. I want the club, but not that bad, and not the others. And I don't want it enough to overpay for it. And why the hell would you ask $800 for all of it? I'll lowball again in 2 months when it is still available.

Similarly, another "bag of clubs" for sale. A lot of clubs, and it is a horrible picture, but from what I can identify - 5 clubs out of at least 18 - 3 of them would combine to make up the asking price. But it is a horrible ad, horrible picture, and most people would never even click on it. I'm hoping they respond to me, because I've always wanted to try one of those clubs. But the shaft could be wrong, the condition could be terrible... Still cheap enough to take a gamble, but would it kill you to take 5 minutes to take some decent pictures? Of course, then the set wouldn't still be available. 

Full rant: Facebook Marketplace is apparently not letting people price their vehicles more than the blue book value. Which is horrible for many cars, so you'll see a car that says $850, because that is the max blue book value, but you click on it and the add says "$8,500, facebook won't let me price higher than it is". It clearly is not the seller, because it happens at least once a day. Super annoying.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/28/21 3:53 p.m.
mtn said:
wae said:

In reply to RevRico :

I'm always amazed at how many people are offended because society wants them to have some modicum of civility and and respect. They claim that such behavior is cancel culture and that political correctness taking over, but the truth is that it is common decency, and they're pissed that they're getting called out for their poor behavior. 

Cancel Culture IS real, but that ain't it.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
4/28/21 4:06 p.m.

And political correctness is a blight on society, but that ain't it either.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/28/21 8:12 p.m.

I love my dad dearly but dear God do I hate the way he mechanics. 

We've all done some questionable repairs to get home or had a car that was "car-guy" safe but he stops there so everything is just.....half assed.

My work trucks fuel pump died so I grabbed his work van. It's technically the business tool van and he's usually the guy to drive it, so I'm rarely if ever driving it. He repairs and drives it.

Sweet baby Jesus does it need some help. The idler screams, there's no fan, it's leaking gas, the driver seat belt isn't really working, he didn't have either gas cap on it, the turn signals a jury rigged to hell ( but working so I guess that's a win), it's filthy, it's ridiculously filthy, there's either a u joint going or a carrier bearing, the aux gas tank is apparently not working, the wipers don't work on the fastest setting and the brake warning light comes on when there are bumps.

At least half of that is small easy repairs. Driving it I remembered how much I love the 300i6 engine but man.....wtf.....

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/28/21 11:00 p.m.

My 18 year old daughter is from Korea and every once in a while somebody throws her a mean racist comment and it bounces off.  She's tough.  

Tonight it hurt her and she cried at home when telling us.  I hurt when my baby bird hurts.  Fricking clown.  

wae
wae UberDork
4/29/21 8:39 a.m.

Yesterday, I ran the spare tire (which I think might have actually been from 1993 - I don't remember how to read the old DOT date codes) and the one rear tire that was showing its steel belts over to the truck shop to have them sell me a couple new tires and mount them up.  Aside from the clown hanging out in the waiting room, it was a totally pleasant experience at a price point that wasn't a great deal or anything but was fair, and it's got me all set up now for switching from the 8Rs to the 225/75s.  I went out to the storage lot last night after work to get the tires bolted back up.  I knew rain was coming, but it didn't look that bad.  Right as I got started getting the coach up on the jack stands the drizzle started.  No big deal, I can work in that and it actually felt nice and cool.  About the same time I got to the point where I pretty much couldn't leave it as it sat and needed to work all the way through it, the downpour started.  I had a rain suit so I put that on.  And the pants immediately split from one knee to the other.  And then I snagged the jacket on something and it tore.  By the time I was finished, my shoes was completely waterlogged and I was so soaked that I came home and took a shower to dry off.

And this morning I discovered the hard way that my shoes are still wet.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/29/21 8:56 a.m.

My daughter is bound and determined to piss us off. Just half assing things, blatantly ignoring what we've told her to do/asked her to do/directions we've given. 

And then gets an attitude about it when we call her on it. 

I know it will pass, but i hage it and feel powerless to help my kid be a good human being right now.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/29/21 9:11 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I love my dad dearly but dear God do I hate the way he mechanics. 

We've all done some questionable repairs to get home or had a car that was "car-guy" safe but he stops there so everything is just.....half assed.

My work trucks fuel pump died so I grabbed his work van. It's technically the business tool van and he's usually the guy to drive it, so I'm rarely if ever driving it. He repairs and drives it.

Sweet baby Jesus does it need some help. The idler screams, there's no fan, it's leaking gas, the driver seat belt isn't really working, he didn't have either gas cap on it, the turn signals a jury rigged to hell ( but working so I guess that's a win), it's filthy, it's ridiculously filthy, there's either a u joint going or a carrier bearing, the aux gas tank is apparently not working, the wipers don't work on the fastest setting and the brake warning light comes on when there are bumps.

At least half of that is small easy repairs. Driving it I remembered how much I love the 300i6 engine but man.....wtf.....

My dad is the same way. He is to construction the way I am to autos. He'll jump into any building job whatsoever with little experience and just figure it out. But when it comes to cars he has trepidation and an amazing skill for halfassery. I, on the other have, will put any engine into any car but I have as much nervousness replacing a few sheets of t1-11 as I do taking a final exam for calculus.

He recently gave me a truck and holy hell is it scabbed together...

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
4/29/21 10:18 a.m.

Predictably, I caught whatever berkeleying bug my coworker brought in and spent the last three days living on soup and Gatorade. I really didn't need the help, Dude. Take your head cold and berkeley right off...

RevRico
4/29/21 10:19 a.m.

My daughter is bound and determined to piss us off. Just half assing things, blatantly ignoring what we've told her to do/asked her to do/directions we've given. 

I know it will pass, but i hage it and feel powerless to help my kid be a good human being right now.

You've been spending time with my 5 year old then?

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/29/21 11:32 a.m.

This was in my inbox this morning, and it made me mad and sad. My interest in Cadillac peaked with the second gen CTS-V, and I'm not really their target. But this publication breathing a sigh of relief that all is right with the world Cadillac-wise because *picture of behemoth SUV with acres of grille and Hoover Dam fascia* just sums up some stuff.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/29/21 11:45 a.m.
RevRico said:

You've been spending time with my 5 year old then?

You've been spending time with my 15 year old then? wink

1 ... 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M3VuRe6X6f36zjYJAwiBVTzfBYEELIcA1p6HFJsA4z1Pf8YdSshUeYPJRyqwiP8Q