1 ... 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 ... 1425
Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/9/21 1:16 a.m.

Watching Jupiter's Legacy and realized it's pretty damn grim, in fact...most things seem to be pretty damn grim now.

Artists are kind of the canary-in-coal-mine of society, that's not a good sign.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/9/21 7:16 a.m.
stanger_mussle said:

Why is it that trailer hitches never fit exactly right? The past 3 hitches I have installed on my vehicles have all been a clusterberkeley.

I found a hitch to fit my Kia Forte on Amazon. I was a return (Amazon Warehouse FTW!). It was only $50 with Prime shipping. It arrived with only minor damage and all the hardware. I had some satin black spray paint so I touched it up before installing it.

Issue #1 was the center of the hitch is secured with a nut plate and bolt through the tow loop. The nut plate is the wrong shape to seat where I can thread the bolt in. I end up hacking a bit of steel off with a hacksaw to get it to fit. Handled.

Issue #2 is that it the back of the hitch touches the muffler. It sits right on the end of the muffler can. I tried to adjust the hitch fitment to gain more clearance but it's maxed out in that direction. I'm tempted to take a BFH and clearance the muffler. I only need 1/4" or so.

At least I can tow the little 48x40 trailer my buddy gave me now. The truck will be leaving soon (as soon as it gets out of the body shop due to some dumbass kid sideswiping me on my way home from work on Thursday angry) so I needed a bit more utility than just the car itself.

Same reason things like strut tower braces never fit right.  They have one car they sample from to design the part, and production tolerances in both the car and the part mean that they never fit YOUR car without a little finagling.

Things are better now, but a somewhat shocking statistic about a Very Popular Car from the 1980s was that production tolerances in assembling the shell, stacked one way or the other, meant that the total length of the car could vary by an inch.

Plus, I think hitches get banged around in shipping, and they probably do build to a jig but welding heat warps things, and for a sub-$200 weldment they probably aren't doing any post-welding cold straightening.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/9/21 7:24 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

In reply to Duke :

Was wondering. So what's the diagnosis?

My shoulder is about 90% now. Unfortunately the arm it's attached to is partially mechanically detached, at least for now

Sorry, just saw this. PT order says "cervical radiculitis" - basically a pinched nerve.

How is your chicken wing doing?

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/9/21 1:29 p.m.

How did a DPO manage to ruin the little spring that keeps the parking brake arm in the drum flattish? Not in the kits, not in the diagrams... Now I need to disassemble that pivot (that I usually skip completely anyhow. The shame.) on BOTH sides so I can figure out what it's supposed to be shaped like and see if McMaster or the hardware store has something... Belleville washer, maybe? Probably stiffer than the little coil that was there...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/9/21 2:25 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Watching Jupiter's Legacy and realized it's pretty damn grim, in fact...most things seem to be pretty damn grim now.

There's been a big push towards grimdark for a long while now.  I suspect it has more to do with what people think will sell than reality.  The 24 hour news cycle makes things seem a lot worse than they likely are.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/9/21 2:49 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

There's been a big push towards grimdark for a long while now.  I suspect it has more to do with what people think will sell than reality.  The 24 hour news cycle makes things seem a lot worse than they likely are.

Watch anime if you want you some grimdark.  They aren't addicted to an upbeat resolution the way Western shows are.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/9/21 2:53 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
eastsideTim said:

Watch anime if you want you some grimdark.  They aren't addicted to an upbeat resolution the way Western shows are.

I watched Grave of the Fireflies.  Once.  Never again.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
5/9/21 3:32 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Grave of the Fireflies is literally the worst Studio Ghibli movie to start with.  You gotta watch it if you're going to watch all of them, but damn don't start with it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/9/21 3:55 p.m.

Just start were most OG otaku started: Akira.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/9/21 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Oh, I'm an anime fan from back when that made you kind of a weirdo.  Big fan of a lot of Miyazaki stuff, Porco Rosso being my favorite.  Been too busy to keep up in the last twenty years or so, though.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/9/21 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Cervical radiculitis. I don't like the sound of that.

With the gyms closed and not being able to do much of anything with it, my arm should be about the size of a chicken wing soon.

It's sore. More than I thought it would be at this point. And it's awkward. My car and truck are both manual trans and the 4-5-6 shift hurts enough that I have to do it with my left hand. Other than that, and aside from sleeping, where most of the pain comes from, it could be a lot worse.

Mrs. P, always the diplomat, informed me of as much when I came back from the hospital. You're lucky you got the other one out in time, and you didn't break both arms, because I'm not wiping your ass.

Update: dad is home. Despite every stroke symptom, including face drooping, they ruled out a stroke. They don't know what it was. But hes essentially back to normal, just weak.

Yay, but makes me nervous not knowing what it actually is. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/21 6:24 p.m.

So my Father is back in the hospital for his heart.  He did not have the heart attack, but I found out that he has known about his bad valve for over ten years and did nothing about it.  So he has Aortic Valve Stenosis and it is so severe that they are not even letting him get out of bed or off of the toilet without help.  He has a catscan tomorrow and hopefully surgery to replace the valve on Tuesday.  I hope they leave him heavily drugged for a week, he is driving everyone nuts.  In the last 24 hours he has called me 30 times to talk about nothing.  He has done the same to my sister.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/9/21 7:10 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Oh, I'm an anime fan from back when that made you kind of a weirdo.  Big fan of a lot of Miyazaki stuff, Porco Rosso being my favorite.  Been too busy to keep up in the last twenty years or so, though.

They make piles of merch for everything Miyazaki touches. Totoro bed sheets,  Princess Mononoke soap dispensers, Howell's Moving Castle t-shirt.

Nobody,  and I mean nobody makes Porco Rosso stuff. I paid $18 for a blister pack of Porco's Savoia-Marchetti and the pirate's flying boat. They were the size of Matchbox cars and I was excited to find them 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/9/21 7:17 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Update: dad is home. Despite every stroke symptom, including face drooping, they ruled out a stroke. They don't know what it was. But hes essentially back to normal, just weak.

Told you he is tough as berkeley.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/9/21 7:23 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Sounds like a TIA, but I'd think the doctors would have brought that up if they thought it was probable.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/9/21 7:25 p.m.
Appleseed said:
eastsideTim said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

They make piles of merch for everything Miyazaki touches. Totoro bed sheets,  Princess Mononoke soap dispensers, Howell's Moving Castle t-shirt.

Nobody,  and I mean nobody makes Porco Rosso stuff. I paid $18 for a blister pack of Porco's Savoia-Marchetti and the pirate's flying boat. They were the size of Matchbox cars and I was excited to find them 

Yeah, definitely not one of his more popular works, but I think it's the most entertaining.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Before I Google,  whats the layman's terms of tia?

Cause dad said they used a t-acronym that he understood to mean that they had no idea. 

The pisser of not being able to go in. My brother and I are both medical-ish. I have broad overview from work, he was emt, my other brother (adopted) field medic in the sandbox.

5/9/21 8:13 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I definitely agree, stuff like Game of Thrones isnt all sunshine and butterflies but it just seems like every new series is dark. Admittedly it's not a great weekend for me so im a bit sensitive I guess

We are rewatching Stargate SG1 now and binging instead. It's not always happy but at least there seems like hope.

5/9/21 8:15 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I had an ex try to get me into Studio Ghibli......I don't understand the thrill. We watched My Neighbor Totoro

5/9/21 8:16 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I'm glad he's home and here's hoping that they find out why soon my friend

5/9/21 8:18 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

I remember those calls from my mom when she was heavily drugged. It's a good sign he wants to reach out even if it's about nothing

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/9/21 8:20 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
eastsideTim said:

I watched Grave of the Fireflies.  Once.  Never again.

I didn't mean go THAT far.

That's kind of like wanting to put a little kick in your chili and dumping a whole bottle of Dave's into it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/9/21 8:22 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

The genius of Totoro is there is no villain, no obstacle to overcome. Sure Mom is sick and at the hospital,  but they don't  dwell on it. The worst is Mai gets lost for a while, and then found. It's just adventure and discovery from a child's perspective. That's unique in childrens stories. 

Watch Mononoke or Nausicaa if you want something a little deeper.

5/9/21 8:25 p.m.

I usually don't go too dark, I won't even rewatch Jurassic Bark( edit: Futurama)

The world is dark enough that I don't particularly like to seek it out really

1 ... 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 ... 1425
Our Preferred Partners
b5ePeqQzi4kagYic3fLfPEaTuJ5Bzvn0qx1HYCzlRJJC4gScY4lmSZbc55qS5skx