1 ... 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 ... 1425
Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/9/21 8:26 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

The genius of Totoro is there is no villain, no obstacle to overcome. Sure Mom is sick and at the hospital,  but they don't  dwell on it. The worst is Mai gets lost for a while, and then found. It's just adventure and discovery from a child's perspective. That's unique in childrens stories. 

Watch Mononoke or Nausicaa if you want something a little deeper.

I won't disagree there but to me....it seemed pointless all around and didn't grab me at all

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/9/21 8:29 p.m.

I hate stories about a dystopian future.  

Star Trek.  The future is bright.  Humanity among the stars. Problems resolved through intelligence and good stuff. 

If I go to a movie, the bad guy needs to be dead, or in jail, or without the girl at the end, or at least sad, like Biff Tannen. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/9/21 8:37 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

Before I Google,  whats the layman's terms of tia?

Cause dad said they used a t-acronym that he understood to mean that they had no idea. 

The pisser of not being able to go in. My brother and I are both medical-ish. I have broad overview from work, he was emt, my other brother (adopted) field medic in the sandbox.

Trans ischemic attack.  Same symptoms as a stroke, but only lasts for a short time.  It's also a risk factor for future TIAs or a stroke.  I can't remember if aspirin is recommended as a maintenance medication or not.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/9/21 8:52 p.m.

Call his Gp, with him there, and ask if it was a TIA or something else and if he needs to be on any meds or blood thinners. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/21 10:55 p.m.

Got the call at 7:30 this morning that dad had a stroke.

Our thoughts are with you and your dad, Michael. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/9/21 11:45 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I usually don't go too dark, I won't even rewatch Jurassic Bark( edit: Futurama)

This. I don't need help being unhappy, with an extra large side order of don't make the dog unhappy. No matter how silly or sappy the context, I hate having my buttons pushed like that.

In my escapist entertainment, the dogs always get plenty of treats and ear scritches.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
5/10/21 12:58 a.m.

9 days since the last back surgery and I'm already bored, grouchy and tired of the restrictions 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/10/21 8:55 a.m.

I have a customer's Buick Encore that needed a turbo replaced because it kept throwing underboost codes. I ordered the parts 11 days ago and we supposedly had all the lines, fittings and gaskets in stock. The only thing we had to order was the turbocharger assembly itself. Friday I was notified that the turbo was here and so Friday afternoon I began draining all the fluids and evacuating the A/C system. Came in this morning, had the turbo off by 9:30, go into the parts department and ask them to pull all the parts. Looks at the pile of stuff they hand me and there is no coolant return line or oil return line. Hey, where are those? "Oh, we don't have them. We're going to have to send someone to go get them from another dealer." I told you I needed them, you said we had them in stock, you told me all the parts were here and now we magically don't have them and I have the car apart and have to wait for someone to go get them? Wtf.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/10/21 9:23 a.m.

They took Jodi off her aspirin after the TIA. If I understood correct it was a bleed instead of a blockage so they didn't want to thin the blood anymore. Not sure how right I am but it sticks in my mind that way. The symptoms were short lived but the damage never went away. Other parts of her brain relearned many tasks but there were sensory issues that were permanent, mostly related to touch and muscle cramping. 

wae
wae UberDork
5/10/21 9:36 a.m.

I really need it to not rain, not be Mother's Day, and not be my wife's Birthday Weekend Extravaganza long enough for me to get the front brakes done on the motorhome and figure out why the generator won't start all of a sudden.  At this point, I really hope I don't need to order any parts....

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
5/10/21 9:48 a.m.

Watching Jupiter's Legacy and realized it's pretty damn grim, in fact...most things seem to be pretty damn grim now.

Artists are kind of the canary-in-coal-mine of society, that's not a good sign.

I'm about halfway through it myself. Not too worried about the 'canary in a coal mine' thing since a) it's Millar and b) the source material (comic) was written 8 years or so ago. There has definitely been more of a push for 'grittier' and darker superhero stuff lately, but it's not exactly new either (Watchmen is almost as old as The Dancer). So far it's interesting, but I liked Invincible more than I'm liking Jupiter's Legacy at this point.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
5/10/21 9:54 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

The genius of Totoro is there is no villain, no obstacle to overcome. Sure Mom is sick and at the hospital,  but they don't  dwell on it. The worst is Mai gets lost for a while, and then found. It's just adventure and discovery from a child's perspective. That's unique in childrens stories. 

Watch Mononoke or Nausicaa if you want something a little deeper.

I won't disagree there but to me....it seemed pointless all around and didn't grab me at all

Totoro is probably one of the earliest examples (as it predates the formal use of the term by nearly a decade) of 'Iyashikei' or 'Healing Type' anime- they're mostly intended to just be what they sound like- soothing and overall uplifting without much conflict or danger. My favorite show of all time (Aria) falls into the same genre. I like a good fight (or race) sequence as much as the next guy, but sometimes it's nice to just watch something super chill.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/10/21 10:09 a.m.
NickD said:

I have a customer's Buick Encore that needed a turbo replaced because it kept throwing underboost codes. I ordered the parts 11 days ago and we supposedly had all the lines, fittings and gaskets in stock. The only thing we had to order was the turbocharger assembly itself. Friday I was notified that the turbo was here and so Friday afternoon I began draining all the fluids and evacuating the A/C system. Came in this morning, had the turbo off by 9:30, go into the parts department and ask them to pull all the parts. Looks at the pile of stuff they hand me and there is no coolant return line or oil return line. Hey, where are those? "Oh, we don't have them. We're going to have to send someone to go get them from another dealer." I told you I needed them, you said we had them in stock, you told me all the parts were here and now we magically don't have them and I have the car apart and have to wait for someone to go get them? Wtf.

Walk back into parts department an hour and a half later and get asked "So, do you need those lines?" Yes, that was what I said when we had that whole discussion when you told me they weren't in stock anymore! "Oh. Well, are they holding you up?" Yes, I can't do anything until I have them. "Oh. Well, I guess I'll have to see if I can send someone to get them." You told me you were going to do that an hour and a half ago! 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
5/10/21 10:37 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Before I Google,  whats the layman's terms of tia?

Cause dad said they used a t-acronym that he understood to mean that they had no idea. 

The pisser of not being able to go in. My brother and I are both medical-ish. I have broad overview from work, he was emt, my other brother (adopted) field medic in the sandbox.

Trans ischemic attack.  Same symptoms as a stroke, but only lasts for a short time.  It's also a risk factor for future TIAs or a stroke.  I can't remember if aspirin is recommended as a maintenance medication or not.  

TIAs are "Mini-strokes"; clots or small fragments of bigger ones got stuck in the passages but were forced out/through thanks to blood pressure.

Treatments do involve Asprin or thinners yes, but don't just start taking aspirin without your doctor knowing; ASA berkeleys with blood clotting which is a massively complex process on its own, and there are medications that can also raise stroke and clotting formation so it's more important to just get them in.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/10/21 11:03 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I would have an aneurism immediately if I didn't unload on that berkeleying pylon right there. 

I'm getting pissed and I'm not even involved. 

5/10/21 11:34 a.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

I usually don't go too dark, I won't even rewatch Jurassic Bark( edit: Futurama)

This. I don't need help being unhappy, with an extra large side order of don't make the dog unhappy. No matter how silly or sappy the context, I hate having my buttons pushed like that.

In my escapist entertainment, the dogs always get plenty of treats and ear scritches.

I've told people before that if I directed a movie the dog will always survive.

On top of a skyscraper that gets destroyed? Dog grabs an umbrella, glides down to an awning that bounces him into the open door of a helicopter. 

Whatever happens no matter how unbelievable......the dog survives

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/10/21 11:36 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

We joke that we should open an auto parts store.  You can screw up all day long, fail to deliver, send the wrong parts, etc. and you won't lose a single customer.

5/10/21 11:37 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Oh yeah, the source material isn't bright and sunny but that isn't my point.

My point is that the vast majority of new stuff is dark. Where's the sitcoms? I'm sure they are out there but the vast majority of stuff is just .....grim now

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/10/21 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Oh yeah, the source material isn't bright and sunny but that isn't my point.

My point is that the vast majority of new stuff is dark. Where's the sitcoms? I'm sure they are out there but the vast majority of stuff is just .....grim now

The sitcoms are mostly still on broadcast TV.  Although there are some streaming ones.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/21 12:41 p.m.

Just so everyone is clear, this is not the proper way to prep a door for a cylindrical handset if the door was originally set up for a mortise. Doing this once makes you ignorant. Doing this 15 times make you a berkeleying idiot. 

0510211010.jpg

Rodan
Rodan Dork
5/10/21 12:45 p.m.

My unicorn car popped up on Failbook Marketplace... within striking distance, and at a non-crackpipe price.  Ad says "call ___", but Failbook redacted the number, and the poster isn't responding to messages.  

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/10/21 12:48 p.m.

7 business days to clear a cashier's check? Seriously? "Well you can have xxx tomorrow and xXxX the day after, but to get all you need, next Wednesday"

I want my new used vehicle NOW dammit. I waa expecting Wednesday or Thursday for it to clear, not NEXT Wednesday.

I better call Friday to make sure they'll have cash on hand for me on Wednesday.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/21 1:22 p.m.
RevRico said:

7 business days to clear a cashier's check? Seriously?

I went for a fly-and-buy for a car a while ago.  Took a cashier's check from my bank in the amount of $5,000.

The teller made a HUGE deal about how once they printed the cashier's check, the money was immediately withdrawn from my account, etc, just like it was cash.

Didn't end up buying the car, so 2 days later I went back into the same branch of the same bank and talked to the same teller who had issued the check so I could redeposit it.

"That will clear in about 7 days and then it will be credited to your account."

Are you berking KIDDING ME?!  This is YOUR cashier's check drawn on my account in YOUR bank!  I'm just berking putting the same money directly back where it came from!

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/10/21 1:26 p.m.

IVR: "Press 1 if you would like to receive a call back when a representative is available."

Me: *presses 1*

IVR:  "I'm unable to offer a call back at this time. Please continue to hold for a representative."

Stuff is stuff. Flows can be a mess because somewhere in the design process someone made a decision that meant that the logic can't do arbitrary things (e.g. check whether callbacks are available) without being triggered by a user interaction, so we have to try for a callback before finding out we can't go there. It's an unfortunate combo of otherwise not-insane decisions. But boy is it frustrating after twenty minutes on hold, being told every five minutes that my expected hold time is (still) over thirty minutes.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/21 1:26 p.m.
Duke said:
RevRico said:

7 business days to clear a cashier's check? Seriously?

I went for a fly-and-buy for a car a while ago.  Took a cashier's check from my bank in the amount of $5,000.

The teller made a HUGE deal about how once they printed the cashier's check, the money was immediately withdrawn from my account, etc, just like it was cash.

Didn't end up buying the car, so 2 days later I went back into the same branch of the same bank and talked to the same teller who had issued the check so I could redeposit it.

"That will clear in about 7 days and then it will be credited to your account."

Are you berking KIDDING ME?!  This is YOUR cashier's check drawn on my account in YOUR bank!  I'm just berking putting the same money directly back where it came from!

The easy way around it.

Cash the check. Since it's a cashier's check they will do that. 

When they hand you the cash, hand it back to them to deposit. Since it's cash it deposits immediately. 

1 ... 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 ... 1425
Our Preferred Partners
X38OTECuikSH8BvUyg5xZk2cA8FcDNEbELpsAhEoNenowJcivYr82hzgwm5OQWUH