1 ... 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 ... 1425
RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/10/21 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

In my case this morning they didn't have that much on hand. 

My proceeds from the sale of my mom's house. 

It just pisses me off that I can't access the last $1000ish I'll need to cover the excursion and registration for 10 days. I think I would be less annoyed if they held the whole thing instead of divvying it out.

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
5/10/21 2:00 p.m.

Car makes wheel bearing failure noises. Took car in to dealership last Thursday because lolwarranty.

"We couldn't figure out what was making the noise but then we saw one of your rear wheels was bent, and noticed the rear bearings were noisy so we just replaced the rear wheel bearings."

OH SO YOU DIDN'T FIGURE OUT IT WAS THE REAR WHEEL BEARING(S) UNTIL AFTER YOU SAW A BENT WHEEL??? WHY WERE THEY NOISY ONLY AFTER YOU NOTICED THE BENT WHEEL?

Spend $300 of my own money replacing the wheels because those aren't covered under warranty, wasting my off Friday running around. Backed into a trash can in blind rage and berkeleyed up my bumper.

It still makes wheel bearing failure noises. Called the dealership on Saturday morning telling them they didn't fix my issue. Took it back in today. 

I'm very confident the front wheel bearings are the culprit. The wheel repair shop found that one of my front wheels was bent as well, just not visibly. I imagine that one or both of my front wheel bearings are failing because of that.

If they don't fix it I'm gonna lemon law the damn thing and buy a Type R, I swear.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/10/21 2:48 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

Just so everyone is clear, this is not the proper way to prep a door for a cylindrical handset if the door was originally set up for a mortise. Doing this once makes you ignorant. Doing this 15 times make you a berkeleying idiot. 

0510211010.jpg

You have to go deeper into this story, because I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I cannot imagine what the thinking was behind that operation.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/10/21 3:22 p.m.
NickD said:
NickD said:

I have a customer's Buick Encore that needed a turbo replaced because it kept throwing underboost codes. I ordered the parts 11 days ago and we supposedly had all the lines, fittings and gaskets in stock. The only thing we had to order was the turbocharger assembly itself. Friday I was notified that the turbo was here and so Friday afternoon I began draining all the fluids and evacuating the A/C system. Came in this morning, had the turbo off by 9:30, go into the parts department and ask them to pull all the parts. Looks at the pile of stuff they hand me and there is no coolant return line or oil return line. Hey, where are those? "Oh, we don't have them. We're going to have to send someone to go get them from another dealer." I told you I needed them, you said we had them in stock, you told me all the parts were here and now we magically don't have them and I have the car apart and have to wait for someone to go get them? Wtf.

Walk back into parts department an hour and a half later and get asked "So, do you need those lines?" Yes, that was what I said when we had that whole discussion when you told me they weren't in stock anymore! "Oh. Well, are they holding you up?" Yes, I can't do anything until I have them. "Oh. Well, I guess I'll have to see if I can send someone to get them." You told me you were going to do that an hour and a half ago! 

And for the third act: I'm wrapping up the Buick Encore turbocharger replacement and a service writer comes out and goes "Hey, did you get to so-and-so's truck today?" Friday I had found a rotted out door harness connector and ordered a new door harness and 41 new terminals for the body side of the connector. The service writer had overnighted the parts to try and have it done today. I tell him no, never got to it because I was tied up on this Buick that has been waiting here for 2 weeks for the turbo to show up, but also I never got a notification that the parts showed up in TechTime. He goes into the parts department and comes back out and I can tell he is hot under the collar. Apparently the parts guy (different guy than the guy I was dealing with before) never ordered the parts at all on Friday. And I know the service writer told him to order and overnight all those parts because I was standing there when the writer made the phone call to the parts department.

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
5/10/21 3:32 p.m.

I hate this type of work where it seems like you can't  get anything done very fast and time just drags on

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/10/21 4:46 p.m.

These last two weeks have had my anxiety level at DEFCON 1.

Ex-SWMBO is pushing to finalize the divorce by the end of this week. We have been separated for 10 years now but somehow right now it needs to be done? She has been threatening to file first and have her attorney "go through my records and job". This has brought up a bunch of old emotions and terrible memories from the darkest period in my life.

I got in my first ever car wreck last week. I have been dealing with mine and the other driver's insurance and trying to schedule damage estimate appointments. It's confusing and irritating. It doesn't help that they keep trying to call my cell phone when I work in a secure area and can't have it in the building. There has been lots of phone tag and voicemails.

This week at work, we are working at our remote site due to construction at our regular work center. This morning was a E36 M3show trying to get comms up to support our customer. My boss put me in charge of getting the remote office space up and running but it requires relying on other people and office equipment that don't belong to us. Every time we do this, there are major issues getting network access or having functioning laptops. It's a deviation from normal and I don't like change.

I need a vacation away from everyone and everything sad

stanger_mussle
5/10/21 5:31 p.m.

Also, I have rental car coverage on my auto policy. It covers a whopping $40 per day. What can you rent for $40 a day? A berkeleying bicycle.

They contract through Enterprise and Hertz. The cheapest price I could find at Enterprise was $389 per week ($55.57 per day) for a Mitsubishi Mirage (3 cyl/CVT). Uh no, I'd rather walk the 27 miles to work in the sweltering Florida humidity.

The cheapest vehicle at Hertz? A Ford Transit cargo van. It's only $186 per week ($26.57 per day).

I got a good laugh from that. I would totally rock a white cargo van for a week so I would not have any out of pocket expenses. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/10/21 6:04 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Just so everyone is clear, this is not the proper way to prep a door for a cylindrical handset if the door was originally set up for a mortise. Doing this once makes you ignorant. Doing this 15 times make you a berkeleying idiot. 

0510211010.jpg

You have to go deeper into this story, because I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I cannot imagine what the thinking was behind that operation.

I cant think of any modern lock set that is set up remotely like that. Jesus. What did they use, a berkeleying weasel?

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/21 7:06 p.m.

well, got the good news that after over a year of forlough I will be getting called back sometime soon.  The problem is, nobody knows when.  The part that makes this a minor rant, they have already brought back some of the Casual "on call" people, but not the actual full time employees that supervise them.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/10/21 7:35 p.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

We got you buddy.  eBay.  

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/21 9:10 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to hunter47 :

We got you buddy.  eBay.  

The when you think the standard Civic can't get uglier model

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
5/10/21 10:03 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Ouch. 

Costco Auto Program can get me a 2021 Type R for invoice pricing which is nice.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/10/21 11:05 p.m.
hunter47 said:

Ouch. 

I didn't need to hear that.

Minor rant:  New Civics are nice to drive but they are gigantasauruses, and this irks the part of me that grew up driving torsion bar Civics, the ones with carburetors and 12v engines and the weird steering that had a positive feedback loop thing going on when turning while reversing.

wae
wae UberDork
5/11/21 5:08 a.m.

We've all known that the FDA EUA for the Pfizer vaccine was coming this week.  Everything should have been pre-staged and ready to go on the scheduling websites.  Kroger, Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, and the local hospital group all still won't let me schedule for the 67% of my kids that are over 12. 

I was able to schedule using the site for what I think is the local clinic-for-po-people so they've got their appointments for Thursday afternoon, but it really shouldn't be that tough for the big outfits to keep up.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/21 7:06 a.m.
Appleseed said:
Streetwiseguy said:

0510211010.jpg

I cant think of any modern lock set that is set up remotely like that. Jesus. What did they use, a berkeleying weasel?

At a guess, they used a demo saw. And no, there isn't a prep in the modern world that uses anything like this. 

What they did was use a DonJo plate to cover the mortise. Like this. That part they got right.

Don Jo 12-S-CW Wrap Around Plates for sale

They should have then drilled a hole for the handset that matches the hole in the DonJo wrap. But no, instead of buying the proper whole saw, they just hacked the crap out of the door. This ranks right up there with filling rust holes with Great Stuff and paper mache. It's E36 M3ty work and I'd be blacklisting whoever did it. 

I have DonJo plates like this to install my mortise handsets. They were bought to cover the hole that should have been drilled for the cylindrical handset. 

Don-Jo Blank Classic Wrap Around for Mortise Lock with 86 Cut Out for 1-3/4" Door CW504S

They will cover the ugly and the doors will look fine. The problem is, this is a behavioral health area in a hospital, not some barn door behind Walmart. The patients are hard on the doors. Hacking the doors up like this takes most of the strength out of the leading edge. And they didn't just hack up one door. They hacked up all of them. 15 patient room doors f'ed up out of laziness and I have to install $1000 anti-ligature handsets on them. 

This is what happens when everyone is in a race to the bottom. Everyone wants the cheapest price no matter what. This is what comes of it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/11/21 8:07 a.m.

Wholly crap!  I wouldn't have accepted that in an office environment. But in a behavioral health facility?  Unphreaking believable.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/11/21 8:13 a.m.

I caught that one.

FFS.

I have my resumé on Indeed and have it set to private. I saw an interesting opportunity - a weekend shift job, and wanted to apply. In order to apply you have to set your resumé to public. I remember what happened the last time I did and forgot to switch it back, so I acted strategically, and switched it over for less than a minute, about the period of time it took before the head hunters started calling...

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/11/21 8:15 a.m.

I always tell people that the cheapest bid is the most expensive.

This is a perfect example of it

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/11/21 8:25 a.m.

I forgot about the joy of selling wheels and tires on marketplace. So i listed three sets.

28 minutes. Im pissed enough to set things on fore after 28 minutes. 

New record. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/11/21 8:37 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I had some suburban wheels and tires left at the house I bought. 3 aluminum, 1 steel.

I list them on Facebook with the description " 3 aluminum, 1 steel wheels, $40" $40 is a win when I didn't pay money for it, right? 1 pic, all wheels shown

I get a guy that just blows up my messenger. I assure him that yes he's first and yes I will sell them to him. I load them up to take it to him a couple blocks away and he sends me a message that says something like " wtf!?! One of those wheels is steel! What are you trying to pull?"

I tell him that the description and the picture both say and show 1 steel wheels. You know what he said to me?

" No one reads the description or looks at the pic, I hate shady sellers like you!"

So.......how do they know what they are buying? They just randomly throw money at people and get a toaster or a Mustang??

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
5/11/21 9:17 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
hunter47 said:

Ouch. 

I didn't need to hear that.

Minor rant:  New Civics are nice to drive but they are gigantasauruses, and this irks the part of me that grew up driving torsion bar Civics, the ones with carburetors and 12v engines and the weird steering that had a positive feedback loop thing going on when turning while reversing.

Insider has actually told me that the Type R might be excluded from the program. More information to follow cheeky

Another rant: 

Falken RT660s have arrived at the shop, but no car to mount them to because it's still in the shop.

Another one: 

Car is at the dealer shop and I was told that "it would need to be kept overnight to order parts, but I have no further information." 

Ok... So you're the service writer right? So that means that you overlook the technicians right? So that means you know what part they ordered right? So that means that you know what's wrong with it based on the part they ordered right? 

I have a strong feeling that the front wheel bearings have Brinell/false Brinell damage which is causing the noise. They have 0 play in them, but the car still makes noise. When I brought it in, they only replaced the rear wheel bearings because of the one bent rear wheel. Service writer told me that the front bearings were fine. I have a hunch that she's just not telling me that they're replacing the front bearings because she told me they were fine last time I came in.

I'm glad I don't have to pay for it but I can't help but think that I could just replace it myself in my garage for a couple hundred dollars, a couple ice cold pacificos, and a plate of carne asada fries on a Sunday afternoon and be done with the issue.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/21 9:30 a.m.

I have to install a new ball joint on my jetta.  It seems to be much easier than most other cars, but I have to do it sitting in an apartment parking lot in cold weather, and I'm not looking forward to it.  However, I am looking forward to driving that little crapbox again.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/21 9:51 a.m.
stanger_mussle said:

Also, I have rental car coverage on my auto policy. It covers a whopping $40 per day. What can you rent for $40 a day? A berkeleying bicycle.

They contract through Enterprise and Hertz. The cheapest price I could find at Enterprise was $389 per week ($55.57 per day) for a Mitsubishi Mirage (3 cyl/CVT). Uh no, I'd rather walk the 27 miles to work in the sweltering Florida humidity.

The cheapest vehicle at Hertz? A Ford Transit cargo van. It's only $186 per week ($26.57 per day).

I got a good laugh from that. I would totally rock a white cargo van for a week so I would not have any out of pocket expenses. 

In my experience, if you physically go to the rental company they will give something that meets your needs and invoice the insurance company directly.  As a general rental car hint you get better service and rates at non-airport locations.

stanger_mussle
5/11/21 10:34 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

What would meet my needs would be something under $40 per day so I don't have to pay out of pocket haha. I'll have to call my insurance company after my visit to the bodyshop this afternoon. The Hertz location is about 1.5 miles from the shop; near another dealership.

I'd rather drive a Transit for a week than a Spark.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
5/11/21 10:57 a.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

They'll usually give you a special "insurance rate." You may just have to ask about it. 

1 ... 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 ... 1425
Our Preferred Partners
JDgq3RsQrJk9CEgxG3rUPufqDLqItrAy6ExUBfvOTjBOeeC2Cn831amDFSKQuNhc