1 ... 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 ... 1425
mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/21 11:20 a.m.
wae said:

We've all known that the FDA EUA for the Pfizer vaccine was coming this week.  Everything should have been pre-staged and ready to go on the scheduling websites.  Kroger, Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, and the local hospital group all still won't let me schedule for the 67% of my kids that are over 12. 

I was able to schedule using the site for what I think is the local clinic-for-po-people so they've got their appointments for Thursday afternoon, but it really shouldn't be that tough for the big outfits to keep up.

Has CDC given the OK yet? I thought they needed to as well, and last I heard it was expected on 5/12/21, so first shots on Thursday... Could be part of the issue. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/21 11:36 a.m.

Major rant: 

I see a flag for sale on facebook marketplace. It is a flag that illicits rage in me, and probably most people who have studied any bit of American or European History, 1920-1945, but especially 1939-1945. 

I wonder, this can't be real, can it? I go to the listing. It is real. I click on the seller. He is real. His facebook page is also littered with the stars and stripes, stars and bars, and complaints about free speech being taken away. Guess what buddy, you can display the Stars and Stripes. And thanks to the free speech that you don't think you have, you can also display that elongated version of the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee. But that is like mixing oil and water. And to throw a Nazi flag in there? berkeley you. You have free speech. But you're scum. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/11/21 11:36 a.m.
mtn said:
wae said:

We've all known that the FDA EUA for the Pfizer vaccine was coming this week.  Everything should have been pre-staged and ready to go on the scheduling websites.  Kroger, Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, and the local hospital group all still won't let me schedule for the 67% of my kids that are over 12. 

I was able to schedule using the site for what I think is the local clinic-for-po-people so they've got their appointments for Thursday afternoon, but it really shouldn't be that tough for the big outfits to keep up.

Has CDC given the OK yet? I thought they needed to as well, and last I heard it was expected on 5/12/21, so first shots on Thursday... Could be part of the issue. 

Kroger would not allow me to schedule my shot until the day my age group was approved, even though it was known several days in advance. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/11/21 12:14 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:
Appleseed said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

Just so everyone is clear, this is not the proper way to prep a door for a cylindrical handset if the door was originally set up for a mortise. Doing this once makes you ignorant. Doing this 15 times make you a berkeleying idiot. 

0510211010.jpg

You have to go deeper into this story, because I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I cannot imagine what the thinking was behind that operation.

I cant think of any modern lock set that is set up remotely like that. Jesus. What did they use, a berkeleying weasel?

At a guess, they used a demo saw. And no, there isn't a prep in the modern world that uses anything like this. 

What they did was use a DonJo plate to cover the mortise. Like this. That part they got right.

Don Jo 12-S-CW Wrap Around Plates for sale

They should have then drilled a hole for the handset that matches the hole in the DonJo wrap. But no, instead of buying the proper whole saw, they just hacked the crap out of the door. This ranks right up there with filling rust holes with Great Stuff and paper mache. It's E36 M3ty work and I'd be blacklisting whoever did it. 

I have DonJo plates like this to install my mortise handsets. They were bought to cover the hole that should have been drilled for the cylindrical handset. 

Don-Jo Blank Classic Wrap Around for Mortise Lock with 86 Cut Out for 1-3/4" Door CW504S

They will cover the ugly and the doors will look fine. The problem is, this is a behavioral health area in a hospital, not some barn door behind Walmart. The patients are hard on the doors. Hacking the doors up like this takes most of the strength out of the leading edge. And they didn't just hack up one door. They hacked up all of them. 15 patient room doors f'ed up out of laziness and I have to install $1000 anti-ligature handsets on them. 

This is what happens when everyone is in a race to the bottom. Everyone wants the cheapest price no matter what. This is what comes of it. 

Wow! At that point, how much is it to just replace the hollow doors instead?

wae
wae UberDork
5/11/21 12:38 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
mtn said:
wae said:

Kroger would not allow me to schedule my shot until the day my age group was approved, even though it was known several days in advance. 

At the time I registered for my shot, my cohort was not eligible per the rules but the date that I would be eligible was announced and official.  The scheduling site wasn't updated so I clicked the button for "healthcare worker" and it let me schedule my appointment.  I got an appointment for the first day that 1C was eligible instead of waiting until that day to be able to schedule it. 

In this case, I think it's something similar.  They're saying that with the FDA Emergency Use Authorization kids in KY can get shots as soon as Thursday but apparently Kroger et al aren't going to let me schedule until then.  Which is dumb.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/11/21 1:10 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Move the clock on your computer/tablet forward to Thursday.  I found some sites used your device's time instead of a server's time for seeing if someone was eligible.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/21 1:15 p.m.

Kroger and Walgreens both have sucked for scheduling in Illinois. Jewel (Albertsons) and a few local places have been really good.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/21 1:29 p.m.
Rodan said:

My unicorn car popped up on Failbook Marketplace... within striking distance, and at a non-crackpipe price.  Ad says "call ___", but Failbook redacted the number, and the poster isn't responding to messages.  

This happens frequently.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
5/11/21 5:47 p.m.

In reply to wae :

We got ours through UK and their system seemed to be pretty well run... though I don't know if there are any satellite health facilities up where you are that they're administering shots at. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/11/21 6:00 p.m.

berkeley me. I just spent the last 2.5 hours trying to get gas for the wifes van and my work car, because of course the world starts panic buying when im in all day meetings, have a migraine, all the extra cans are empty, and the fleet is pretty much on fumes. Oh, and shes PMS-ing like a motherberkeleyer (her words) so its even moee fun!

There was one station in town. That while there i saw people fight and ram one another over open pumps, and the cops show up to restore order. We have enough fuel for her getting to school for the next two weeks now, assuming i don't have to go anywhere and we don't drive any extra. At least tge neon has a half tank and the miata a quarter...

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
5/11/21 7:40 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to wae :

Move the clock on your computer/tablet forward to Thursday.  I found some sites used your device's time instead of a server's time for seeing if someone was eligible.

Apparently nobody in tech has learned anything since the days of getting a 1000 day free trial of Compuserv.  Or wasn't alive in the heyday of dial up

wae
wae UberDork
5/12/21 6:03 a.m.

Finally had time last night to work on the brakes on the motorhome.  After driving right past the workshop earlier in the evening while running errands with the wife.  So back to the shop to get the parts and some tools.  Then over to the storage lot.  First, I put the new plugs, wires, and fuel line on the generator.  That's a win because it started right up and ran perfectly.

After getting the rig up in the air a bit I got the wheel off and pulled the caliper.  But to get the rotor off I have to remove the hub.  To pull the hub, I need to remove the spindle nut.  My giant socket set isn't in the truck.  I must have taken it back to the shop.  So back over to the shop where I discover that set isn't in its spot on the shelf.  Which is when I remember sliding that set under the couch on the RV. 

Back over to the storage lot and three minutes after I get back there, I have the spindle nut off and the rotor/hub assembly on the ground.  8 bolts hold the two together but my cordless impact battery is almost dead.  And the spare battery is at home.  So back to the shop again.  While the battery charges I fire up the compressor and break out the pneumatic impact gun and the PBlaster.

Weirdly, my electric impact is actually more powerful than the air tool, but after about 30 minutes all the bolts are out and the new rotor is installed.  So back to the storage lot to put it all back together.

I finally gave up at about 0100 when I couldn't quite figure out how to get to the brake fluid reservoir so I could bleed the new caliper and soft line.  It's about 12 minutes door-to-door to get between the shop and the storage lot.  That works out to 45 minutes I wasted driving instead of fixing.

The upside, though, is that I'm that much closer to having things ready to go for this weekend.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/12/21 10:28 a.m.

Back on the first of May, I put my brand new tires for the year on the Miata. I then drove it 3 miles home and parked it and it has not been driven since because the weather has sucked. Rain, possible snow showers, temps in the 50s with frost overnight. Today the weather was finally supposed to be nice, so I go to take it to work and discover the left rear tire is flat. I'm hoping its just a leaky valve stem, because if I somehow got a puncture in a tire with only 3 miles on it, I'm going to be pissed.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/12/21 1:44 p.m.

Me at 26: It's 2:30. This day will never end! 

Me at 36: Holy crap it's 2:30 I have to kick it in high gear this day is over! 10 minutes later it's 6pm. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/21 2:17 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Me at 26: It's 2:30. This day will never end! 

Me at 36: Holy crap it's 2:30 I have to kick it in high gear this day is over! 10 minutes later it's 6pm. 

Wait till you are in your 50s. It will be holy crap it's already May. 10 minutes later it will be October. 

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/12/21 3:37 p.m.

I bought a Euro 2" ball mount and trailer tongue to use with the little 40x48 trailer my buddy gave me. It has a 1 7/8" tongue on it currently but I felt that 2" is more common.

Believe it or not, I found the best price at Home Depot. It was $6 less than Amazon for the tongue but the ball mount was the same price. Amazon said it would take a month to ship but HD said 2 days. I received both today, 2 days after I ordered it. Fantastic!

I went to change the trailer tongue to the new one and discovered that I ordered a tongue to fit a 2" channel but my trailer is 2 1/2". Huh. I'm sure I looked to make sure I was ordering the correct one.

I had flipped the last two numbers of the part number frown. Damnit. Correct tongue ordered from HD but it will be here on the 20th now.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/12/21 4:02 p.m.

Apparently a bunch freinds are not getting vaccinated. Hippies, mostly. I'm not mad, or upset, just disappointed. I am curious as to why. I'll bet is the "I don't trust it, I dont know what's in it" camp. You don't know what's in ibuprofen. You don't know how tour cell phone works. Yet, you never question it. 

But you'll take drugs from some rando you met in a parking lot. Got it. Thanks for helping make things safer for me and my kid.

*edit* 

I have diabetes,  an auto-immune disease, which means my immune system is compromised. I do not heal quickly from sickness or injury. I need all the help I can get. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/12/21 4:42 p.m.

You know... I had initially said I wasn't going to get vaccinated right away because I thought the development was hasty, and I wanted to see, at very least, some short term results before I would consider it. Considering my age and general ineptitude of our Federal government that wasn't going to be a problem.

I did take a lot of heat for it, though.

AZ was widely available and I could have had it some time ago, but I'd heard about clotting and said I was going to wait for one of the others.

I took a lot of heat for that.

The narrative at the time was, it's safe, we wouldn't have approved it if it wasn't.

That changed to the best vaccine is the first one you can get.

That then changed to, if you're not in a high risk group or area, vaccine shopping is not our recommendation, but acceptable.

Yesterday the province I live in stopped using it citing an increased incidence of clotting and deaths. I got my Pfizer vaccine last Monday.

Your friends may change their mind

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/12/21 4:47 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

I have to admit I felt a bit guilty when I found out the ex got the A-Z vaccine and my brain went there...

mtnbiker4evr13
mtnbiker4evr13 New Reader
5/12/21 5:36 p.m.

So I'm doing a Volvo white block RWD setup on a vehicle so I'm looking for a 960 rear sump oil pan to cut down for axle/steering clearance. Find one on ebay for $100 and then in my local craigslist ones listed for $25OBO. Cool, email dude, verify its correct and ask about shipping. Good so far then go to say yep let's do it and magically price is not $25 anymore... cuz hes had better offers on Ebay. 

Come on... 

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
5/12/21 9:34 p.m.
hunter47 said:

Car makes wheel bearing failure noises. Took car in to dealership last Thursday because lolwarranty.

"We couldn't figure out what was making the noise but then we saw one of your rear wheels was bent, and noticed the rear bearings were noisy so we just replaced the rear wheel bearings."

OH SO YOU DIDN'T FIGURE OUT IT WAS THE REAR WHEEL BEARING(S) UNTIL AFTER YOU SAW A BENT WHEEL??? WHY WERE THEY NOISY ONLY AFTER YOU NOTICED THE BENT WHEEL?

Spend $300 of my own money replacing the wheels because those aren't covered under warranty, wasting my off Friday running around. Backed into a trash can in blind rage and berkeleyed up my bumper.

It still makes wheel bearing failure noises. Called the dealership on Saturday morning telling them they didn't fix my issue. Took it back in today. 

I'm very confident the front wheel bearings are the culprit. The wheel repair shop found that one of my front wheels was bent as well, just not visibly. I imagine that one or both of my front wheel bearings are failing because of that.

If they don't fix it I'm gonna lemon law the damn thing and buy a Type R, I swear.

Got a phone call today. 
"Hey, we're investigating your front wheel bearing and it looks like there's a TSB out for it. We'll keep it updated."

OH SO NOW YOU berkeleyING FIGURE OUT THAT IT'S THE FRONT WHEEL BEARING? I LITERALLY TOLD YOU HOW I TESTED IT, I CAN POINT TO THE LINE ON THE WORK ORDER THAT SAYS: 

"CUSTOMER SAYS - CAR MAKES NOISE LIKE FAILING WHEEL BEARING - SOUND GOES AWAY VEERING LEFT, GETS LOUDER VEERING RIGHT - PLEASE ADVISE" 

I SERVED YOU THE JOB ON A PLATE. MY CAR SHOULD BE IN THE DRIVEWAY BY NOW IF YOU HAD ACTUALLY READ MY PROGNOSIS. 

OTOH, the loaner Outback XT has been a hoot and I took home my new tires in it. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/12/21 9:42 p.m.
mtn said:

Kroger and Walgreens both have sucked for scheduling in Illinois. Jewel (Albertsons) and a few local places have been really good.

I did the same.  Add in Walmart, CVS, and Marianos. No success. 5am, late night, many tries over and over   

Lady at work says to call the Will County phone number.  Instant appointment in Joliet.  

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/13/21 2:39 a.m.

I don't understand craigslist. Everything I try to buy sells just before I email/call, but the things I try to sell sit around forever. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/21 5:30 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Wal-Mart was flawless for me. Lots of open appointments and the online signup was pretty simple to use. Maybe it's a State issue.

wae
wae UberDork
5/13/21 6:48 a.m.

To be fair, the systems that Kroger and the local hospital have do work for the most part.  They're just not set up to be able to think about eligibility at the time of the appointment versus eligibility right now.  I can see why they wouldn't develop that because it's kind of an edge case.

1 ... 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 ... 1425
Our Preferred Partners
XksYfZ6FJxTnPbV840tP9tnTx8myWx4Iqh3s7NGxkvR4jE5zugr7iKX4E0hgj5md