1 ... 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 ... 1928
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/12/21 2:01 p.m.

Man, berkeley job searching.  I hate this E36 M3.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/12/21 2:57 p.m.

My area just got hammered with a strong thunderstorm and of course, I was out doing errands.

I feel like my life expectancy drops everytime I'm out on the roads in central Florida and it starts raining. It's like the water falling from the sky melts people's brains.

How berkeleying hard is it to turn your damn headlights on? Wipers on, headlights on. You honestly think I can see you when your silver car is the same color as the road spray?

If you are too scared to drive in the heavy rain, how about you get off the berkeleying road? But no, by all means, please do 20 under the speed limit in the center lane. Speed differentals kill.

I counted no less than 5 contractor/yard maintenance trucks pulling trailers that had no trailer lights. One was in front of me for most of the way home. The trailer covered his brake lights and the only indication I had that he was braking was the CHMSL lighting up, which of course was hampered by the downpour and road spray. It also didn't help that the lense was smoked out, so I could barely see the light.

Good job you berkeleying idiots

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/12/21 3:16 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

Better yet, instead of turning your lights on for visibility, make sure you turn on your 4-way flashers so no one can berking see anything but that.

It's always the silver, grey, or black cars.  ALWAYS.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
7/13/21 6:25 a.m.

I'm convinced any time the weather changes, people forget how to drive.  First rainstorm after weeks of sunny days?  Wrecks everywhere.  First sunny day after a long stretch of winter weather?  Wrecks everywhere.  I've never been able to make sense of it, but it was consistent for years along the same highway commute.

wae
wae UberDork
7/13/21 7:04 a.m.

Put a cheap Android-Auto compatible head unit in my B.U.T.T. last night but in the process I managed to break the front clips on the overhead console and cut out too large of a hole for the USB ports.  The overhead console seems like it will be okay for the short-term until I can find a new one, but the oversized hole is going to need a solution of some sort.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/13/21 7:51 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I remain tragically and completely unaware of how people manage to take interior trim apart without breaking it.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/13/21 7:51 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I bought a couple of adapters for installing the unit in my wife's 4runner a few months back. This one did not make the cut because I failed to realize the input was AV TRRS, and would not work with audio TRS, plus the usb port labelling was not a great match. It was too impractical to send back. Yours if you want it. DM if interested. The usb cables do carry data. Designed to snap in to most blanks in most Toyotas from the aughts.

wae
wae UberDork
7/13/21 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

Oh!  That just might get the job done!  Message sent!

In reply to Duke :

Yeah, I'm batting about .750 on that.  Some panels, like the door cards in the Neon, have clips that are basically designed to break off.  Which is fine - new clips are cheap and easy to find.  But some panels, like my overhead console (grr), are not attached in an intuitive manner and the pressure to release the clips and to snap the actual plastic of the console itself are just about the same.  The worst part about the overhead console is that it really would be pretty trivial to have just used a couple screws to hold it in rather than having this complicated clip'n'slide setup.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/13/21 8:43 a.m.

Small town election season has already begun. We do odd-year elections for some unfecking known reason (likely to keep turnout low). I can already tell it will be one of the nastiest elections we've had in a long time based on the chatter on social media. Same group of 12 people who think they run the city already starting E36 M3.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
7/13/21 9:35 a.m.
Rodan said:

Our trailer received some serious hail damage from a nasty storm that rolled through yesterday.  I wasn't the only one.  Insurance companies will be busy today...

This is something I didn't need to deal with this summer... 

Call me ignorant but is there any reason beyond aesthetics that this would matter? I've never owned a trailer nor have I lived anywhere that actually gets substantial hail.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/13/21 10:31 a.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

The damage is not structural, but I pay for insurance to protect the value of things that I own.  The damage represents a serious hit to the value of the trailer, so it will get fixed.  And I don't really want to be rolling around looking like I've been attacked by a mob armed with ball peen hammers.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/21 2:56 p.m.

Ugh. We have a required 'Collaboration and Communications Tools' training I have to take at work since our work is trying to push newer tools like Slack and the likes to (ostensibly) make things flow easier with most everyone working remote. While I understand why they have started making every training a video these days (you can't just quickly click through the slides to get to the end, especially if there is no quiz) I don't like it, because in many cases I'd do better with the slides and being able to read things and look them up as necessary. But what will pretty much immediately write off and largely ignore what I'm supposed to be watching is when it's presented as an 'overheard' conversation between two people, especially if it's like this last one with one of the people ostensibly coming to the other (over a video call, no less) for help with whatever the topic is about. It just annoys me. I'm not talking HR-type things where you're supposed to watch a situation play out and then discuss it- those are cheesy but I get the need for it. Having a 10-minute video start off with someone saying, "Hey Joe, I've been hearing a lot about the new communications tools we have now, do you know anything about that?" just makes me roll my eyes and minimize the video while I try and get real work done.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/13/21 3:03 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to wae :

I remain tragically and completely unaware of how people manage to take interior trim apart without breaking it.

You break it the first time you work on that model, and then you try to pry in exactly the correct fashion next time.

It helps about half the time, but some manufacturers cough GM cough don't really give a E36 M3 if stuff comes apart.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/21 4:50 p.m.

Have an older Transit in the shop.  SOMEthing is pushing 1-4v down the run/start voltage circuit.  It is making everything spaz.  Turning the lights on makes it stop.  I traced to the GEM, was happy to blame the GEM because 99% of Ford electrical issues are caused by the GEM.  So I replaced the GEM.  Nope.

I hate being wrong, and finding out after installing a part I'd identified as off.

Backing up on diag, and now with more time to investigate, disconnected everything on that circuit, every module that is connected and can backfeed a pulsing signal.  Nope.

So either Ford left something out of the wiring diagram, or I need to call an exorcist.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
7/13/21 9:30 p.m.

After sitting 1 week since our trip, the Camaro now won't even crank over. Battery is solid. I guess time to start checking relays and switches to see what's messing up. And, the replacement PCV hose I got in appears impossible to access in vehicle. Also, the brake reservoir is dry.. meaning I've got a leak (or 2) in the system and the brakes aren't fixed, still. Sigh. Makes me want to yoink the drivetrain and be done with the car, which just isn't super fair..

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/14/21 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Most odd Transit electrical stuff we see is usually traced back to stuff people have added on. What did the owner add to this van? Lighting? Racks? I'd be looking at that for damaged/pinched/drilled through wires. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/21 6:10 p.m.

Trying to search for something on Etsy is absolutely useless.  I don't know when they implemented an auto correct function in their search, but you can't turn it off.

So I'm trying to search for specific things as I want to "dress up" the heigh gauge for the kids with stickers for specific things they can do when they reach a certain height.

So I search for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.  It auto corrects to Matter.  Yeah, that's not what I want.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/14/21 6:18 p.m.

Riding my motorcycle to work this morning, I had a driver in a landscape truck look directly at me coming down the street towards him and pull out in front of me anyway.

Then I watched some tool on his E-bike dodging on and off the sidewalk in traffic, using the pedestrian crosswalk and not using the separated bike lane that was installed because the truck drivers in this area can be homicidal.

I wonder what the reaction would be if motorcyclists started riding like cyclists?

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/14/21 6:25 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

*best carny huckster voice* Ah have EX-orcised the DEE-mons...

Mostly the problem was nine years in Cleveland, and a crappy European manufacture job that was not intended for climates that have moisture or road salt.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/14/21 7:58 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

SHARE THE ROOOOOAAAD!

Just as soon as you share the rules, spandex-boy.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/14/21 9:25 p.m.
wae said:

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

Oh!  That just might get the job done!  Message sent!

Replied! (I've hardly ever used the DM system here - hope I did it right.)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/14/21 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Or Honda. Everything is weaker than the withdrawal force needed to unsnap it - even assuming you can figure out the arcane sequence of movements and disassembly needed.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/14/21 11:02 p.m.

I don't advise this, but I've learned how to carefully take apart interiors of cars that I own or are working on by inadvertently destroying interiors of junkyard cars attempting to extract the part(s) I need. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/14/21 11:25 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Riding my motorcycle to work this morning, I had a driver in a landscape truck look directly at me coming down the street towards him and pull out in front of me anyway.

Then I watched some tool on his E-bike dodging on and off the sidewalk in traffic, using the pedestrian crosswalk and not using the separated bike lane that was installed because the truck drivers in this area can be homicidal.

I wonder what the reaction would be if motorcyclists started riding like cyclists?

If you are on two wheels, you are invisible.

Years of cycling have given me a strong assumption that anybody wearing sunglasses while driving, anyone in a minivan/SUV, or anyone sitting three-across in a pickup(*) is completely oblivious to your existence.  This has served me well as a motorist.

My favorite was when I saw someone apparently look right at me, then turn right in front of me as I was hauling ass in the big ring while two bags of Burger King were swinging from the handlebars.  (Cycling adds a +4 boost to your caloric requirements)  Caved in the door of her Lumina APV, and got some grody oozing wounds on my arms.  She mumbled an eighth-hearted apology and didn't bother getting out of the car.  Blood is self-healing but good luck explaining the body damage to your sugar daddy.

* - This was before crew cabs were commonplace, and pickups turned into mainly single-occupant vehicles.  This is one of those ironies of coincidental paradigm shift, like how column shifted transmissions were popular when the transmission was next to the driver, but when floor shift became the norm, transmissions moved to roughly the base of the steering column

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/15/21 3:07 p.m.

Not really a rant, but too weird not to share:

Yesterday a co-worker calls me and asks if I received a package for him.  Both of us have had stuff addressed to us at work, but in this case it was an Amazon order he placed, to be delivered to his home, and we don't even live in the same town.  I told him no, and he said that was weird because FedEx showed I (by name) had signed for his package.  I told him that I hadn't received a package for him, but I had signed for a FedEx delivery, parts for my Miata.  Long story short, the tracking # Amazon gave him for his package was the same as the FedEx tracking number for my shipment from a different supplier.

I can see someone getting an incorrect tracking number from a shipper, but what are the odds that the wrong number you get is for a package to be delivered on the same day, to someone you know?!?! 

I don't know what kind of cosmic alignment caused it, but I went out and bought a lotto ticket, just in case. cheeky

1 ... 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cKt5CcFVYXVKQwmD0oQXHBSQ3R50RIhz6oBDNB64D8h8cSjhh217hn9J1N0aAivV