1 ... 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 ... 1470
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
7/26/21 8:42 a.m.

Last Saturday, The Dancer was invited to the year-delayed Quinceañera of one of her dance students (she turned 15 last summer, but they couldn't hold the event because of Covid so they decided to throw is as a Sweet 16 party for her this summer). This was the first time we'd been out to any kind of actual event other than The Dancer's own show the previous weekend- and also the first time in almost a year since we'd had to get more dressed up than 'business casual' (the last time I had to wear a button-down shirt was her grandfather's funeral last fall). Started figuring out clothes about an hour and a half before we were originally supposed to leave- and found to my considerable dismay that not a single pair of my dress pants could be closed without feeling like I was going to suffer internal organ damage. Not a great way to start off an evening when you have to drive out and spend $100 for new dress pants (and a belt) because you're too fat to fit into any you currently own. The only reason I didn't need new shirts as well is that to get ones that aren't really short on my arms means they're usually on the baggy side in the gut...

Making things more fun, I'm pretty convinced that somehow over the last week or so (possibly in running around doing things at the show) my left hip is out of whack. It's not enough that it actively hurts, but the last two nights when I've been trying to get to sleep my left leg keeps spasming and making it nearly impossible to fall asleep, and I could feel things pulling weirdly when driving the stickshift E46 to and from the Y this morning and while swimming. So of course the chiropractor that The Dancer has been going to who did wonders for her back last month is out of the office until tomorrow so I can't even try and get an appointment figured out.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/26/21 8:46 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to NickD :

Back in the time when I was taking the DMC to car shows/cruise-ins and not taking it apart I had countless people very matter-of-fact-ly tell me completely wrong 'facts' about the car. Most people when corrected by the person who owns the *&%$@ing car would concede they were mis-informed or quickly slink away, but this one old guy argued with me for like 10 minutes that the car had originally come with a Ford engine and I must have put a different one in it. Um, no- not even remotely true. 

He's thinking Bricklin, and he's even wrong about that, since they were originally AMC.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
7/26/21 8:57 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to NickD :

Back in the time when I was taking the DMC to car shows/cruise-ins and not taking it apart I had countless people very matter-of-fact-ly tell me completely wrong 'facts' about the car. Most people when corrected by the person who owns the *&%$@ing car would concede they were mis-informed or quickly slink away, but this one old guy argued with me for like 10 minutes that the car had originally come with a Ford engine and I must have put a different one in it. Um, no- not even remotely true. 

He's thinking Bricklin, and he's even wrong about that, since they were originally AMC.

That was what I had figured as well (the first DeLorean Car Show I went to had a number of Bricklins at it as well so I learned a lot about them then), but he was 100% convinced I was wrong.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/26/21 10:29 a.m.

A few months ago, I ordered a copy of my birth certificate since I couldn't find my other copy. Knowing this, I made an appointment at the DMV for a new driver's license. Since this is my first "RealID" license, I need my birth certificate. My appointment is in 2 days.

Guess what I cannot find?

I found the receipt but no certificate. I remember when I received it from FedEx and I put it in a place that I wouldn't lose it. But now I can't remember where that place is.

Sigh

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/26/21 1:11 p.m.

My best work friend just lost his mom. Looks like Covid was a contributing factor if not the cause of death. Can't have a funeral, because his dad is sick with Covid. Ugh. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/26/21 7:31 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

There were Ford powered Bricklins as well. S friend of mine had the misfortune of owning a few of them. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/26/21 10:54 p.m.

Arguing with me about a $6 fee on a $200 down payment does not inspire confidence in our future transaction. 

I'm tempted to pay it through the service you set it up for,  which would be $24 in fees, I'll be damned if I make it my problem. 

You're making me nervous about showing up with cash.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/27/21 10:19 a.m.

Tried a local brewery I hadn't been to yet.

...I've read about Butyric Acid in beer before, but never actually tasted it...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/27/21 10:59 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

There were Ford powered Bricklins as well. S friend of mine had the misfortune of owning a few of them. 

It was something like one year had AMC engines (390?), he other year had Ford engines (351M/400?) and there were no other years.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/27/21 11:01 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

It was something like one year had AMC engines (390?), he other year had Ford engines (351M/400?) and there were no other years.

It was an AMC 360 the first year, and a Ford 351W the second year. The early prototypes were supposed to be smaller and lighter and used first an Opel 4-cylinder, then a Chrysler Slant-6, then an Argentinian Kaiser/Jeep Tornado OHC-6

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/27/21 11:05 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to NickD :

Wonder if he had come in with a Corvette, you could walk up to it and swear up and down that it was a replica on a VW chassis.  You know, because of the fiberglass body.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/27/21 11:22 a.m.

Rant.  Honda CRV.  A '14, so it has the updated K24, say 75k miles.  Came in with engine not starting, makes horrible noises when cranking.  Jumped time.  No vehicle history, lube sticker suggests oil change was done 100mi ago.  My gut feeling was, someone poked their finger in the new filter to get the plastic wrap off, cut a piece of plastic off in the filter, plastic plugged the passage to the tensioner.  Seen it happen a couple times.

Pull valve cover so we can see where the cams are at when leakdown testing, and manually move them if necessary.  Ut-oh: It already has a new chain and guides.  Great, I get to clean up someone else's mess and look like the bad guy in the process.

Remove tensioner through access hole and find that the ratchet mechanism is broken.  This should only happen if there is no oil pressure, oil pressure holds the tensioner out and the pawl only engages with no oil pressure.  I blow out the passage, it is free flowing.  Huh.  Well, who knows what happened.

Pulling timing cover off, find that every possible fastener is heavily overtightened.  Like, my 2135TiMax was stalling on the 10x1.25 motor mount bolts.  My 3/8" air ratchet was stalling on the M6 timing cover bolts.  Yikes.

But then I get the cover off, and find that all sealing surfaces on the front of the engine had been cleaned with a "cookie".  Berking LOVELY.  There is a solid chance now that the tensioner beat itself to death because the whole engine has no oil pressure because Captain Berkapotamus used a cookie and that wrecked all the bearing journals.  And we can't know for sure until after we put it back together.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
7/27/21 12:04 p.m.

Whoever designed the Seattle airport needs to be punched in the dick for creating such a monstrosity.  Narrow hallways, tiny gate waiting areas, small bathrooms, and poorly laid out.  berkeleying bulldoze the whole thing and copy an airport that actually works FFS.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/27/21 12:17 p.m.

Work has me a little twisted right now, to the point that today I wore my "Berkley this E36 M3" shirt to a staff meeting. It's on Zoom so the casual attire is ok, I wonder if anyone actually gets it though??? I hope they do.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
7/27/21 1:50 p.m.

Technology and Covid to the small town I live in has brought the School board, city and county council meetings online. While they are usually entertaining watching council shuffle around clueless and the crazy rants by residents. It was sad to hear people boo while a parent from a school who was a medical doctor in infectious disease speak. Manipulating the freedom of speech to spew ignorance and not allow someone to speak is moronic. It shows the many problems that occur in neighborhoods and schools of people only caring about their wants rather then what they need.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/21 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "cookie"?

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/21 5:44 p.m.

Drove my track rat Miata to work today since my daughter's school didn't have power and stayed home. Hmm...I think the front bearings are done. Ok. Add to the maintence list.  Then the car becomes a comedian above 3k rpm...

Car: Knock knock 

Me: nope...not answering that one 

Car: KNOCK KNOCK 

Me: who's there?

Car: Rod

Me: no....just no...Rod who?

Car: Rod Bearings!  

Me: berkeley

No time to fix before the next track event either. I'm getting tired of this car...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/27/21 6:19 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Roloc scotchbrite disc.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/27/21 6:21 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Roloc type "surface conditioning disks", basically a 2" disk of carbide infused Scotch-Brite pad that you use on a die grinder.

If you use them on any surface open to the crankcase, you throw carbide dust into the insides of the engine.  This rapidly embeds into the bearing journals and wipes out the bearings.

A lot of people claim to have never had a problem.  I wonder how many people also see coincidental issues with bottom ends coming apart after doing a timing cover gasket or intake gasket on a pushrod V6.  "These engines are junk, it musta been about ready to let go"

I personally was told about this after a 3.8l Sable ate its bottom end after I did a timing cover gasket on it.  Huh, that explains why the 429 in my T-bird ate its bottom end on the drive home after I did an intake gasket on it the previous month.

Every mistake is a lesson, and sometimes the tuition is awfully high.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/27/21 8:13 p.m.

Mine was a 3.8 Windstar.  The Rolocs certainly didn't help, but the antifreeze from the timing cover leak was a big contribution.

I actually created a policy of insisting on pan removal and bearing inspection with head gaskets on 3.8s.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/27/21 8:18 p.m.

Wow.  Those had a something like 100% failure rate, too.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
7/28/21 8:48 a.m.

I hate job recruiters.

"Hi, Mr_Asa! My name is Blerg from Bluhbluhbluh Recruiting!  I think you'd be a great fit for *Generic Job Title That Could Be Anything*, could we schedule a time for a phone call to go over the position and your job history?"

"Sure, I'm available after noon today if you send me a copy of the position description so I can review it"

"Great!  How does 3:00PM today sound?"

"Sounds fine if you send me the position description so I can review it."

:radio silence:

They are going to call me at 3:00 and I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to answer or not if she hasn't sent the description.  

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/28/21 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

From my experience, it won't make any difference.

I got so tired of it, I put very specific contact instructions in my resume and they either ignored them, or didn't read that far into the resume. I eventually removed my phone number and put in it's place, available by email request. It helped.

Most of the recruiters that called me were in the Toronto area. When they left a message it sounded like they were calling on a flip phone, in a tunnel, under water, and their accent was so strong it was not out of the ordinary that I couldn't understand a single thing they said. And of course, if I ever did follow up, the job was almost always exactly what I wasn't looking for - which was explicitly spelled out on my resume

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/21 9:07 a.m.

Thanks for the clarification - yeah, that doesn't necessarily sound like something I'd want anywhere near openings of an engine.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/28/21 9:11 a.m.

berkeleying serial data communication issues on a 2020 Equinox with 13k miles. I suck at these kind of diagnostics. I'm more confused than when I started.

1 ... 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 ... 1470
Our Preferred Partners
vVDeCVdcY7OPSPZ1hnSIyBvy1CXMcofXiOrAAN1tUSExDsPdS15878nICY96oDCJ