1 ... 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 ... 1470
hunter47
hunter47 Reader
7/28/21 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

My favorite is when my resume shows that I've only been working full time for the past 1.3 years, and my work experience only dates back 5 years.

"Hello sir, 

Hello, 

Hope you are doing well!!

We have a 6+ Months which is in <my location> and below is the job description for your review. Please suggest a suitable time with preferred contact number for us to discuss this opportunity in detail. Please include an updated resume in your reply. 

Looking for 5 years' experience

*bunch of requirements for the job that don't even apply to me in the slightest*

"

That's a direct quote, for the most part, btw.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/28/21 11:22 a.m.

Parts finally showed up for the CR-V, after a day delay because "the delivery driver (from the regional warehouse) couldn't get into the parking lot".

Amazing.  Every component the dealership delivered was wrong.  The part numbers they sent do not match up with what WE looked up.

Of course, the correct parts are in stock (in >2 quantities), no wait for parts to be delivered to them so they could deliver them to us.

wae
wae UberDork
7/28/21 11:43 a.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

Back in the early 2000s, I had a recruiter call me from American Express asking if I'd be interested in an interview for a position as a financial councilor.  He had a lot of fun explaining the job to me and all that and wanted to lock in a time for an interview. 

I thanked him and said that I'm always interested in new opportunities and seeing where life will take me.  I have exactly zero lines on my resume that would give the impression that I've ever worked in the financial services sector, so I told him that and asked him what he saw on my resume that made him think I might be a good candidate.

"Well," he said, "we have an office in your area and you're looking for a job."

I continue to have no experience working in financial services and American Express will never get anywhere near my money if I can help it.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
7/28/21 12:49 p.m.

So for the last few weeks I've largely been twiddling my thumbs at work since I've been unable to get into the program that I am assigned to be testing and writing 'how-to's on for when other analysts switch to using it. I've kept the project lead apprised of the situation and he's basically shrugged and chalked it up to their having problems with a server update. Until today, when he was in a meeting where the use of the program/server was brought up and he chimed in about my not being able to access it and they went, "Wait, what? Why?" Come to find out that there is a hotfix that should have been installed that is likely why I couldn't get it to work.

Now, there's a pop-up that comes up warning about the hotfix not being installed- and when I first got it before the server update was done, I called the help desk as the pop-up says and said, "Hey, I'm getting this thing, can you tell me what it's about and what needs to be done." They said, "Oh, that aonly applies to the production server, you can ignore it." 

REALLY tempted to push to have my time over the last few weeks moved over to the 'downtime due to computing issues' code instead of the project if the install of the hotfix does indeed fix things. Especially since I've been trying to get the fix installed for several hours now via several different avenues and still don't have it...

Also- unlike many people, I actually like driving (and I imagine many here are like me and enjoy it more than your average person) but I generally wouldn't choose to get up 40 minutes early to drive 15 minutes to someplace and then just drive right back without doing anything like I ended up doing this morning when I got to the Y and found that the pool was closed and I couldn't swim laps.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
7/28/21 2:26 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I hate job recruiters.

"Hi, Mr_Asa! My name is Blerg from Bluhbluhbluh Recruiting!  I think you'd be a great fit for *Generic Job Title That Could Be Anything*, could we schedule a time for a phone call to go over the position and your job history?"

"Sure, I'm available after noon today if you send me a copy of the position description so I can review it"

"Great!  How does 3:00PM today sound?"

"Sounds fine if you send me the position description so I can review it."

:radio silence:

They are going to call me at 3:00 and I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to answer or not if she hasn't sent the description.  

berkeleying hell, this lady said 3 and meant Texas time (where she is)

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
7/29/21 8:34 a.m.

Our tractor has been pissing hydraulic oil all over the ground.  Dealer wanted $3,000 to fix it, so my brother-in-law came over and we split it at the engine-clutch housing connection.  Pulled a bunch of E36 M3 off/out of the way.  Several hours later, we get to where I think the front transmission seal should be, except it's not there.  Apparently you have to access it from the back of the transmission and pull the guts of the trans out of the way.

Really cool.  Glad we wasted all that time.  Now I get to put it all back together and basically do the whole job over again.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/21 9:08 a.m.

FedEx is the suck. 

I've had a Grainger order that tracking has listed as out for delivery to my office for almost 2 weeks. I contacted them yesterday morning via email and asked them to check on it. They responded that it was out for delivery. I mentioned that it had been listed as out for delivery for a couple of weeks and requested that if the order was lost to please reship it as I needed the $100 worth of SS bolts and toggle anchors that were in the box sooner rather than later.

FedEx told Grainger that they couldn't deliver it because there was no one to receive the order. They were apparently trying to deliver it at 7 pm. We close at 4. I nicely explained that this was a commercial business in an industrial park and there was no one around at 7 pm. They would have to deliver it earlier. 

They put a rush on the order and it showed up yesterday, to the wrong address. Luckily the person that received it was nice enough to call me and let me know it was there. 

This morning I pick up the most abused Grainger box I've ever seen. Smashed, partially open, and naturally missing all the SS hardware. 

Another email to Grainger went out requesting replacement and UPS shipping. FedEx is obviously fairly incompetent. 

I guess it's a good thing I ordered the parts a month before I needed them. 

PS. I already have a response from Grainger. The balance of the parts should be here by Monday via UPS. That's pretty decent customer service. 

Big +1 to Grainger for being professionals. 

Big -1 to FedEx for being useless. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/29/21 9:14 a.m.

When did 50+ hour work weeks become normal? And why the berkeley are you asking why im not doing more, when im already doing teice as much DOCUMENTED work as the next highest guy?

Can't wait to get out of here, but refuse to let the members suffer by me not doing what i do.

Sometimes I hate being responsible and caring. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/29/21 9:28 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

People have asked me at past jobs why are you so pissed all the time?

Because I care . I give a E36 M3. If I was the customer,  how would I want to be treated? If I was a co-worker,  how would I want to be treated? My anger always stemmed from being treated in ways I couldn't contemplate treating another person.

Maybe that's why I somehow became the defacto ringleader for the freight team? I never asked a freight checker to do something I wasn't willing to do myself.  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/29/21 9:55 a.m.

You know its been a completely berkeleying awful week when the news that you're getting a 3 dollar an hour raise doesn't even put a smile on your face for even the briefest of moments. My boss actually had to repeat himself because he thought I didn't hear him.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
7/29/21 10:01 a.m.

Yeah.... if your recorded/computer-generated fake customer service telemarketer leads off with "This is so-and-so from the Department of Visa and Mastercard..." I'm going to hang up immediately. Just the same as if I got a call from someone claiming to be from the 'Department of Coke and Pepsi' and the 'Department of Ford and Chevrolet'...

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
7/29/21 3:21 p.m.

This is gonna be an opinion that won't shock anyone with two braincells, but...

BERK Jalopnik, I only visit that site out of old impulse now. Half the commentators are like millennial caricatures, like they have no basic concept of stocks or wealth or markets. They keep loosing writers at a rapid clip and the quality is terrible. You can't read a single article that's about Tesla, they clearly have requirements to make X number of them for metrics. They keep pushing slideshows, because people keep commentating on how much they hate the slideshows, and thus make the problem worse! The entire site is just tripe now, which sucks because they're one of the few that would actually do deep-dives into the out of the way stuff like legal cases, or make goofy articles for fun.

In reply to Appleseed :

I'm in the same boat- my hospital denied even a cost of living adjustment because of past writeups, let alone a raise for me. Screw up ONCE in 5 years and the corpo's take it against you. Not even my chief officer could tell me how long until they drop off my record.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
7/29/21 3:36 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I only read Torchinsky articles now. When he leaves, I leave.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/29/21 5:10 p.m.

Between my new job and the weather I haven't ridden in almost a month. I just want to ride, and finally on my proper shift, I have the whole week off.

Well it poured Saturday and the races Sunday left the track a rutted disaster, which they knocked down with the tiller. But the whole track is like a field of golf balls now and I pulled off after 2 laps and went home.

So I decided to go over to my buddies (kid's) track last night for a ride on the pit bike, which did not start out well. On the second set of laps, just as I was getting in the groove, I landed super hard off a jump and broke something in the transmission.

The club track really needs a good rain to pack the marbles down, which we didn't get until this morning. The track will be awesome tomorrow morning.

When I'm at work.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/29/21 5:13 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I boycotted Jalopnik from before it was split up after the whole "Hulk Hogan Sex Tape" nonsense took out their parent company, Gawker.  Prior to this, they had a good community and writers which was grown organically and was self-supporting.  They had fired much of the staff, hired cheaper "writers" and then focused on chasing clicks with TMZ-style "articles" that alienated much of the remaining fans.  When I queried the new editor why the changes were made, he told me to "Go Eff Myself" and that was that.  I was done with the site for good. 

From the little I've seen since then, I've not seen them go anywhere and much of the new staff has cycled out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gawker_Media

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G/O_Media

The site redesign was a huge issue too, I forgot about that.  Pretty much a course on how to destroy your media empire right there.

That said, I understand that quality writers aren't cheap and advertising is critical in the online world.  So you have to have close relationships with them.  There are ways to manage this and not sell your soul (GRM tags their FB posts with #ad and similar for example), but greed is alluring and hard to ignore, especially when you are surrounded by sycophants.

Luckily, in the vacuum left by Gawker, etc. places like Bangshift.com and others have come online and GRM has been consistent in their content and style while doing a decent job pivoting to the modern world.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/29/21 6:07 p.m.

I stopped paying attention after Alpha Foxtrot left. Seemed every other article was someone E36 M3ting on Tesla. Yeah, I get it, but there are other things

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/29/21 8:37 p.m.

Aaaannnnnd the duster spit a freeze plug and overheated. Badly before the gauge caught up. 

berkeley me. Were running out of running cars. Neon dead engine.  Duster down, hopefully not hurt. Mazda6 needs brakes. New mazda5 needs servicing and a strut mount. Red truck needs brake lines and.....

And the kicer? My flex time day off has become a mandatory office day at my desk where i have to be logged in to teams all day for random spot checks by management. Because other people won't do their motherberkeleying JOBS. 

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/29/21 10:16 p.m.

My dad goes into surgery tomorrow to remove a 3.5cm cancerous mass from his left lung. The surgeon will be removing the entire top lobe of the lung as the cancer has attached itself to the lung lining.

I know he's in great hands but I'm still worried about him.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/29/21 10:28 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

Good luck,  mussle dad.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/29/21 10:46 p.m.

I understand that pain and discomfort are different for everyone. But seriously wifey, you have a cold. Stop acting like it's Covid or Mono or appendicitis. 

Every time she's sick. Every time, it's like she's on her death bed. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/29/21 11:31 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

My daughter is the same way.  Sliver in her foot?  It's an hour long knock down drag out screaming match involving 3 adults to remove it.

My 3 year old son?  5 minutes and a book for him to read.

That said, sucking their noses out when they have a cold?  Complete opposites.  Daughter willingly asks to have her nose cleaned.  Boy needs us to call in the National Guard.

You don't really know how strong your kids are until you have to hold them down to receive medical aid.  As a parent this just hurts because you're trying desperately to avoid causing harm, but you know they are hating every minute of it.

Anyway, yeah your wife is being whiny, etc. but the point I was trying to get at is that we all feel pain differently.

When my wife gets sick?  Look out she's down for the count and miserable the entire time.  Me?  Some cold meds or pain meds and I'm ok for most of the day.

So anyway, it's frustrating and we hear you man, but give her some sympathy, some meds and have her get some sleep so you can have a few moments to your self.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/30/21 7:14 a.m.

Which is why the term "Man cold" pisses me off so badly.

Not my experience.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
7/30/21 8:37 a.m.

Tired of solving problems.  I need a break from responsibility, even if it's just for a few days, but that's not happening in the foreseeable future.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/21 8:43 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

When did 50+ hour work weeks become normal? And why the berkeley are you asking why im not doing more, when im already doing teice as much DOCUMENTED work as the next highest guy?

Can't wait to get out of here, but refuse to let the members suffer by me not doing what i do.

Sometimes I hate being responsible and caring. 

When I went from hourly to salaried.  Now I spend 50-60 hours here easily. 

iansane
iansane HalfDork
7/30/21 9:07 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

People have asked me at past jobs why are you so pissed all the time?

Because I care . I give a E36 M3. If I was the customer,  how would I want to be treated? If I was a co-worker,  how would I want to be treated? My anger always stemmed from being treated in ways I couldn't contemplate treating another person.

Saaaaame. When I was at O'Reilly I was angry all the time and most of the staff that had been there less than a few years thought I hated them. I mean, I did, but I hated them because they treated people like E36 M3 and had no ability to do anything unless specifically directed to. Or on the off chance they did come up with a solution to a problem it was so asinine and convoluted that I seriously wondered how their brains connected those two dots without traveling to Venus first.

1 ... 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 ... 1470
Our Preferred Partners
qclmihQbLvGYD3F5EcqJomxAUi9hxOogbOfd3M8hMV6LWmJYWMsEV41eBqYjfLdA