1 ... 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 ... 1467
Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/30/21 9:28 a.m.

It's starting to look like this is a thing now. My garage door goes offline if I try to work it from the phone while sitting in the car. I can go outside and open the door from the phone, get in the car, get belted in, get the car started, and pull out of the garage, and... Offline.

I can go for a walk, turn into the alley, hit the button on my phone, maybe fiddle around with logging in, maybe fiddle around with password manager, maybe fiddle around with multifactor, but then hit the button, and I'm in. Pull up in the car, nah, offline.

Does anyone make a secure clicker I can leave in an open car? I'm not trying to add a fanny pack on top of the fivefingers as my Birkin look.

Edit: I might be installing one of these somewhere in the cabin.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/30/21 9:44 a.m.

Just curious, does your car have anything that the phone is trying to connect to, that causes it to undo the communication with the door?

Mike (Forum Supporter)
7/30/21 9:48 a.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:

Just curious, does your car have anything that the phone is trying to connect to, that causes it to undo the communication with the door?

No, no infotainment at all. I have the app configured to always use mobile data, because sitting in a car in an alley behind my house doesn't have the most reliable Wi-Fi. I've experimented with a repeater in the garage, but the Wi-Fi in the garage itself actually isn't typically bad, and the repeater didn't solve the offline condition when I was in the car.

I'm wondering if the ignition system is noisy.

Honsch
Honsch Reader
7/30/21 1:43 p.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

Does anyone make a secure clicker I can leave in an open car? I'm not trying to add a fanny pack on top of the fivefingers as my Birkin look.

Yes.
Skylink sells three button remotes that you can put in a password.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/30/21 3:04 p.m.

I'm so tired of dumb motherberkeleyers. There is no way he did not see my truck.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/21 4:05 p.m.
Honsch said:
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

Yes.
Skylink sells three button remotes that you can put in a password.

Or, you could find one that runs off of switched power.  Fair number of those mounted in rear view mirrors. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/30/21 5:27 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

What cam is that? Clear as berkeley. 

stanger_mussle
7/30/21 7:09 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

It's an Aukey DRA5. Also called the Aukey Mini Dashcam. I bought it on Amazon about a year ago but it looks like it's discontinued now. 

I like it because it's simple, tiny and was like $20 because it was a Gold Deal. I bought the separate GPS puck for another $20.

It's more than paid for itself during the year I've had it.

wae
wae UberDork
7/30/21 9:48 p.m.

nevermind.  I had a coding rant, but exactly 15 seconds after posting it, I realized I was just being stupid and it's all fixed now.  Rant cancelled.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
7/30/21 9:55 p.m.
wae said:

What...  how...  why...  where is..  I don't...  JS is outputting the variable successfully when it's between the <td> tags, but when that same string is an argument to onclick, suddenly it adds ")"=" to it.  Which, of course, makes the onclick event totally bogus. 

I wish I knew what the heck I was doing because I'm sure this is just something stupid simple that I'm overlooking.

This was me last year writing a COVID app for my company. First time ever programming, and I posted a question to stack overflow with a snippet of what I had written already. I got a couple of comments saying a part of what I had written wasn't even possible with the language, but it was working so who knows...

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
7/31/21 7:18 a.m.

I spent last week on vacation with in laws and it wasn't a good time. Guess what I'm about to do? Spend 6 hours (round trip) in a car to go see these in laws again on a day off. Kids birthday so I'm glad to see them again. Their parents? Not so much.

I contemplated faking a migraine to get out of it but that isn't in my dna. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
7/31/21 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Maybe just focus on spending most of your time with the kiddos and being the cool uncle?   Not sure how old  but I find that kids love having adults play with them even if/especially if it doesnt make sense

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/31/21 8:07 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Exactly, I spend a lot of family visits being the fun uncle and avoiding grownups. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
7/31/21 3:34 p.m.

I switched to LastPass a decade ago. When you use a service for the first time, you don't know where it came from. It has issues, sure, but they'll get better over time...

Except LastPass. How is it such a colossal E36 M3show after a whole decade? You're not maintaining a Windows Phone version, a Symbian version and a BlackBerry version any more. What the hell are you doing with the premium money I've been giving you all these years, besides twisting the arm of people who aren't giving you premium money?

It's time to switch.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/31/21 9:23 p.m.

Daughter #1 with her husband and 3 kids flew out from Phoenix today. Their flight was delayed. I reserved AND PAID FOR a full sized SUV through Orbitz at Dollar Rental. They got to the rental counter a little after 5:30 pm. It had closed at 5:00 and there was no alternative means to pick up their car. ***That was confirmed by the attendant they came across that had closed the counter and told them that there was nothing that he could do for them.*** They Ubered from the airport to my son's house (I'm working tonight) and we hope to get the Full-sized SUV from Dollar tomorrow.

My concern is that they will cancel/clear my reservation and there will not be a car for them there tomorrow. Nobody is answering phones at Dollar (I left a message for the manager). Orbitz has a 'Virtual Agent' now that does not have adequate selections and the 'Contact and Agent' option with an estimated wait time of 5-6 minutes has had me waiting over an hour with no response. At one point about 15 minutes in, I typed "Hello?" in the box. That got me kicked out of the queue back to the main menu.

I have a Toyota Sequoia with 3rd row seating, why can't they just borrow that? Daughter #2 has been borrowing it for the last two weeks. She was supposed to bring it back yesterday. ...she did. It came back on a trailer after it overheated. It seems that it developed a slow coolant leak and nobody noticed until it ran low - the day it was supposed to come back and get ready for daughter #1. At least it was not seized and they had the sense to stop driving and tow it.

stanger_mussle
7/31/21 9:51 p.m.
stanger_mussle said:

My dad goes into surgery tomorrow to remove a 3.5cm cancerous mass from his left lung. The surgeon will be removing the entire top lobe of the lung as the cancer has attached itself to the lung lining.

I know he's in great hands but I'm still worried about him.

My dad's surgery went well. When they got in there, they found a lot more scar tissue than they anticipated, mostly from a motorized scooter accident 15 years ago where he broke 7(!) ribs. Because of the scar tissue, they could not use the surgical robot and had to go in by hand. This increased his surgery time from 3 hours to 6. It also increased his hospital time from 5 days to 7 days. The surgeon belives they found and removed all of the cancerous mass. They also found that his lymph nodes were cancer free. That's a huge relief.

However, my mom has been staying at a hotel about a half mile from the hospital. The hospital is about 2 hours from where they live. Her best friend of over 50 years came up to stay with her over the weekend. This morning, while they were having coffee, my mom passed out and collapsed. Her friend rushed her to the ER. They found no indications of a heart attack or stroke. I think it was low blood sugar because she doesn't eat when she's stressed. I'm so thankful her friend was there.

Now the plan is for her friend to drive her home since my dad is pretty heavily drugged and won't be released until Friday at the very earliest. Her friend can't stay with her since she has to work Monday. My aunt (my mom's sister) also lives in her hometown but works full time.

I called my boss this evening and told him what was going on. I only have 49 hours of PTO and want to request another 40 hours of advance PTO so I can care for my dad when he gets released. My boss told me he will have to contact HR on Monday to get authorization for the PTO advance. I wanted to fly out tomorrow (Sunday) but it will be Tuesday at the earliest.

I have been talking with my sister, who lives in Kansas to try and coordinate us being home at the same time. Her husband is deployed right now and she doesn't want to fly with her two dogs or kennel them. I was trying to plan to fly Kansas, pick her and the dogs up, and drive her husband's truck to Idaho. That would take an additional 2 days each way. She will not fly with them or kennel them under any circumstances. As much as I'd like her to there when my dad gets released, I just don't think it's going to work. She completely understands and just wants one of us to be there with our mom.

So it looks like I'll be flying home on Tuesday. I really hope I can get authorization for advance PTO as I want to be there when my dad gets released since he will be recovering and can't take care of my mom.

I've been completely stressed out since he went into surgery. I'm 2900 miles away from them right now. I think what will happen is that I'll have to find a job closer to home so I can be there for them. I make good money now and I know my type of job doesn't exist there but being this far away from them is killing me.

berkeley

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
8/1/21 7:32 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

So glad I went yesterday. My nephew who just turned 1 was super happy to see me. We hung out a lot and when he was fussy I was the only one he was happy with. It's awesome being the fun uncle. I have 3 small kids of my own, but there's it's cool to have fun and not have to change poop diapers. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/1/21 11:48 a.m.

This was either a Egret or a Starling equivalent of an 8th Airforce raid on Bremen. 

imgon
imgon HalfDork
8/1/21 1:20 p.m.
Appleseed said:

This was either a Egret or a Starling equivalent of an 8th Airforce raid on Bremen. 

Holy crap!  sorry  too easy. What a messs

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/1/21 1:26 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

Hope all is well with your family and good vibes sent your way.

As for the job thing.....really everybody is desperate to keep workers right now so my bet is they will work with you. If not.....we live in a world where even Walmart pays almost $20 an hour, you'll find something.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/1/21 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/1/21 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
8/1/21 4:52 p.m.

Went to autocross this morning and the Zoomboni is acting up.  Fuel pump is failing to come on, replaced the wire from toggle to pump and now it comes on but doesn't cycle off like it did and the car doesn't start.   I'm frustrated and really bad at diagnosis of electrical gremlins.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/1/21 7:12 p.m.

I've done an exceptional job socially distancing for several years now. Been absolutely fastidious about my hands and everything. Dodged every bullet known to man. My idiot full timer coughed all over my desk and my cashier and now I might have the vid. 

stanger_mussle
8/1/21 7:51 p.m.

The more I think about this, the more irritated I become.

I'm more than happy to drop everything and fly to the other side of the country to care for my folks. I have no problem doing that.

One of my issues stems from my sister, who is in Kansas, not being able to help because she doesn't want to kennel her dogs so she can fly home.

I'm literally burning every minute of my saved PTO and going in the hole by 40 hours to fly home and help but she is unwilling to kennel or leave her dogs with a friend to help out? I forgot to mention that she doesn't work. Her husband, who is an O-3 in the Army, is the sole breadwinner. He makes good money. He's deployed (to Poland of all places, the bastard) so she literally only has the dogs to worry about.

On top of that, my aunt (my mom's sister) is throwing a hissy fit because my sister isn't coming. She has lived in my mom and dad's hometown her entire life. She is willing to help out, but only as much to where it won't inconvenience her. She's pressuring me to get home ASAP to care for my mom. My mom and dad have always been there for both side of their families. They are always the first ones that everyone turns to when they need help.

Now that they are the ones needing help, it seems like everyone is busy or only wants to help if it doesn't inconvenience them.

It's such bullE36 M3 that I have to literally fly from one corner of the country to the other and burn literally all of my PTO to be there for my folks when other family members live in the same town as them.

Why does this burden fall only on my shoulders?

1 ... 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 ... 1467
Our Preferred Partners
pubFtfMfgT1oYIDj3e23yRnhZwz2xUJQiehhmhj5EXlwA6azcyH6LATHTM3GYU4D