1 ... 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 ... 1929
chandler
chandler UltimaDork
8/1/21 8:08 p.m.

Because you'll do it. They all know they can count on you, good or bad.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/1/21 10:30 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

Because you give a E36 M3. 

Just remember this when those who refuse to be inconvenienced need your help:

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/2/21 6:21 a.m.

My ancient HF aluminum jack has started leaking hydraulic fluid.  Had just been think I need to reduce the number of floor jacks in the garage (I have 5), but not the one I use the most.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/2/21 7:47 a.m.

I've been in the Top 10 for raw times at autocrosses for pretty much every event last year and this year, including back-to-back 2nd in raw for the previous two events, always playing runner-up to the same guy. Yesterday, that guy was not going to be there, so it was my chance to get FTD. And then it downpoured the entire day and I wasn't even close to FTD. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/2/21 7:59 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to jfryjfry :

Exactly, I spend a lot of family visits being the fun uncle and avoiding grownups. 

This here. I spent a disproportionate amount of time with my nephew-in-law when we spent 2 days out at the cabin with the Dancer, her mom, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew. Nephew's parents had bought a modest-sized LEGO set for him to assemble and keep him busy and out of their hair while we were there, and I happily sat and helped him with it (mostly just watched and conversed and let him do it on his own, stepping in and nudging him in the right direction if he missed something or did something different than the instructions). Made for a more enjoyable time as I missed several heated discussions.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/2/21 8:33 a.m.

For years out city trash truck has been picking up later and later. It got to the point where it was almost dark by the time cans were emptied. So I've been strolling my cans to the curb after breakfast for years.

Today they picked up at the break of dawn. Not my cans of course, because why set them out the night before when years of precedent say otherwise. Well played city sanitation, well played.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
8/2/21 7:43 p.m.

I've been tested.

85% hearing loss in my right ear, 20% in my left.

Van Gogh had a better chance of listening to my wife than I do.

Yet, she insists on talking to me when I'm on the phone. Non stop.

When I'm on the phone with someone making plans, if I happen to miss one detail, I'm an idiot.

If I say "Maybe if you hadn't been talking the whole time", I'm a shiny happy person.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/21 8:01 p.m.

berkeleying shiny happy person dog.

So I am at bunnydad's house, and he had to leave to pick up Kid Unit #2 from work.  I am chilling, checking eBay for more stuff I don't need, when I hear the back door bell ring.  He has his dogs trained to ring the bell when they need to go out, so I get dog and leash, set him out there.

He wanders around, not leaving waste, but I figure, eh, maybe he needs to shake it out?  Then he takes an interest in one section, and just as I start to call out to him asking what's up, I hear a baby bunny yelling.

DAMMIT DOG GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW.

He knows I am pissed off at him, he also doesn't give a E36 M3.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/2/21 8:05 p.m.
SaltyDog said:

I've been tested.

85% hearing loss in my right ear, 20% in my left.

Van Gogh had a better chance of listening to my wife than I do.

Yet, she insists on talking to me when I'm on the phone. Non stop.

When I'm on the phone with someone making plans, if I happen to miss one detail, I'm an idiot.

If I say "Maybe if you hadn't been talking the whole time", I'm a shiny happy person.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/2/21 8:59 p.m.

Found her!  She's okay!

Just got her inside.  Still too young to eat solid food, so she is probably staaaaarving since she has been out of nest for a couple days, and momma abandons the babies if the nest was disturbed.

Absolutely zero concern about being picked up by strange big hairless creatures and taken inside.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/2/21 9:35 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

Have her put an ear plug in one ear. Just one ear, for one day. Then she can experience what we go through every day, for just one. 

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/2/21 10:19 p.m.

Caught another idiot tonight on my way home from work. I'm beginning to hate driving here.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/3/21 9:55 a.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

Is there something wrong with <10mph on a highway?

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/21 11:35 a.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

Talk to me when I'm on the phone and there won't be any doubt who the biggest shiny happy person is. I will happily mute my call and explain it to them in no uncertain terms. My wife did that once about 30 years ago. After the second discussion, that no longer happens. 

I also have a one-track mind. If my name isn't called, I didn't hear what you said. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/21 12:49 p.m.

My rant is that Stanger_Mussle's idiot videos don't have audio with them. I'm guessing it might be amusing.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/3/21 6:29 p.m.

Two part rant:

1: Why, Bass Pro Shops, is it that you can have an order to my door in 2 days, but it takes 6 days if I want to pick it up in the store?

2: I like Bass Pro. I do. But they ruined Cabelas. Gander Mountain is all but gone. Scheels, academy, Tackle Wearhouse aren't in the area. Fleet Farm and Dicks have a relatively poor selection. I wish there was a good local shop, but there isn't. And that's annoying. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/3/21 9:57 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

What were you looking for?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/3/21 10:12 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to mtn :

What were you looking for?

You want specifics? Or just "lures"?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/3/21 10:22 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Ooof. Fishin stuff. I'm out of my element.  

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/3/21 11:43 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

My rant is that Stanger_Mussle's idiot videos don't have audio with them. I'm guessing it might be amusing.

All you would hear would be me swearing and saying words that should not be said in mixed company lol

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/4/21 7:20 p.m.

I have not yet learned to read through "maker" projects keeping in mind that there are a lot of smart and enthusiastic folks who haven't, however, really built stuff before.

The IKEA Lack based enclosure is going to be totally functional, but it's a nightmare from a structural/joinery design standpoint, and I keep finding parts that due to constant evolution but no coherent organization have changed. I just finished disconnecting and removing the PSU when I found out I had the wrong structural replacement and PSU holding bracket printed because the project page still links all the original files. So now I have to undo some the project to print the parts to finish the project.

I mean, I'm frustrated with myself for not thinking to look out for this stuff. But it also suggests to me that I should get better with Fusion 360 and do my own designs, too. I'm not sure this is better or easier than just starting from nothing.

EDIT: Despite my frustration, I'm grateful for the effort folks have put in, and it certainly allowed me to just put one foot in front of the other, where I might easily have gotten bogged down. My rant comes off awfully ungrateful for someone who is totally just printing parts other people designed and put into the world. Hopefully I will contribute something back when I get dialed in.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/21 8:05 p.m.

My remaining OE knee has been giving me increasing trouble all week.  Something just went SPROING about half an hour ago, leaving me shocky and unable to bear any weight on that leg. 

Currently elevated and iced, but I don't think I'll be making it to work tomorrow. It was going to be the first flight of our airplane since March too!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/4/21 11:46 p.m.

My dad has two E30's. Both are rust free survivors, in Chicagoland. I've been storing one of them for the past few weeks as my parents are moving, and I love this car despite it being just a base plain Jane automatic 325. 

My rant: I could buy either one, for a sweetheart price, but it just doesn't make sense right now. He keeps saying he's going to sell the one in my avatar, but without conviction. I'll probably have to buy it if he does actually list it for sale somewhere. 

Also, I don't think that there has been a more satisfying driving experience outside of a Miata since the E30. Better cars? Definitely. Faster, better handling, more soul, more luxurious, yes of course. Hell, the TSX I daily is better in every way. But something about the E30 just sings to me. Kinda like comparing a John Prine or Guy Clark to Paul McCartney or Johnny Cash. Yeah, the latter two are better. But the former two are more fulfilling. Maybe because I learned to drive in an E30. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/5/21 12:21 a.m.

Am I getting more careless? Or do I simply not give a berkeley? Smash my hand with a hammer. Don't even slow down to check it out. Break (probably) a toe stubbing it on a bed frame? Put on the boots and get E36 M3 done. Superglue your fingers together? Rip them apart and use that same glue to fill in the holes of missing skin. Doesn't phase me anymore.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/5/21 10:47 a.m.

This started out as a Minor Confession, but quickly turned into a rant:

I don't actually enjoy pilot batching new beers.

It is more work to run the pilot system than the full brewhouse, and I get about 18 gallons instead of 600+ gallons. But it's useful for new product development.

I think the more frustrating thing is the amount of pressure people put on me to pilot batch, but not really getting really useful input/feedback. I'm just sort of told to "do something new/different". That isn't helpful. Give me something useful to work from. You wouldn't go to a graphic designer and say, "Make me a logo!" or an architect and say, "Design me a building!"

And now that I'm pilot batching something out after agonizing after being pressured to design a beer from scratch with no guidelines other than "use spruce tips" and expected to have it full-scale ready this fall, and I'm experimenting with multiple all-new ingredients to me, people who haven't really helped are telling me how excited they are about this and how good it's going to be.

No. That doesn't help. I don't know it's going to be good. Putting pressure on me for a total experiment to be good is stressful. I've sometimes done weird experiments that turned out to be fortuitous and better than we expected. It feels like people expect me to knock the ball out of the park the same way every time.

This is what back in homebrewing days people thought would be the fun part of the job. But I'm not just brewing beer for me. I'm trying to come up with something that pleases people who don't know what they want. It's stressful. It's also disheartening when I brew something *I* am excited about, and we can't even get through 15 gallons of it at the bar.

I'd rather do a full scale brew. It makes the company money. I know what the good of it is. I don't need a lot of input and support from other people.

1 ... 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CLdd6YWSUGYTHqQ8OzTPtwnZfkAYZoxkzE5n3v2T4mgH9ckBbpUjeZfBCZby8Vgn