Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
9/14/21 7:24 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Like an owner's/service manual?

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/14/21 8:44 a.m.

Frustrating weekend on several fronts... got a text from the company that manages the cabin on Friday that there was a problem with the water pressure so they had to move the guests for the weekend to another place, and when I contacted the head of maintenance they said that it looked like it was something more involved with the cabin's electrical system so they had called up the local electrician they worked with (who, thankfully, is also who wired the cabin in the first place). Hadn't heard anything by Sunday evening, so I packed up a few things and headed out to check it out myself- and after finding that I was only getting 10v across the two main legs of a 220v circuit decided that yeah, this needed the electrician's attention. He called yesterday afternoon to let me know that apparently against all logic, one of the main legs from the transformer (that are buried underground) to the cabin was broken and they needed to run new wiring for it. So far we've lost two 2-night rentals as a result, and if they can't get the materials fast enough, we'll lose another 2 nights this weekend and won't be able to stay there ourselves as planned- meaning depending on how much the repair costs the combined cost of this will likely be over a grand.

As if that wasn't enough, Saturday evening when I had the e46 convertible out to grab our dinner, the steering started feeling sluggish and got progressively worse such that when I got to the place to pick up our food I already knew that the PS reservoir would be empty- and was less surprised than I'd have liked when after refilling it before heading for home that the same thing happened, meaning that there's another significant leak. I'll be wholly unsurprised if it's not the same stupid o-ring on the PS lines from the pump. So as we head into the best time of year to be driving a convertible, mine is of course mostly undrivable until I have the time to fix the PS system. Again.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/14/21 9:27 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Ford.

Jackstands would be a no bueno as the traction control would also have a freakout, and I am not doing that on jackstands anyway for safety reasons.  And not doing it in the shop on a lift for air quality reasons.  (The carbon being cleaned out can be very smoky)

When I was at Audi, techs would commonly throw cars up on the lift and hammer it to 60, even 80mph while someone stands underneath with their flash lights poking around the suspension looking for noises and irregularities. Man that freaked me out.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/15/21 8:42 a.m.

Somehow in the madness of the renovation two years ago the plumber forgot to install the studor vent on the downstairs plumbing run. I've been chasing a sewer smell for two years with no idea where it was coming from. I finally started digging into all the photos I took of the renovation and realized there a frickin' pipe in one wall that I have no idea where it goes. Well, it was supposed to be the vent pipe I guess but it was sheetrocked over. I drilled a hole in the wall last night and stuck in a pinhole camera. Yup, open piece of 2" PVC staring back at me. Sonofabitch...

So now I have to cut an access panel in the wall and install the valve. What sucks is there is a SECOND pipe nearby that may have the same problem, but I won't know until I drill more holes in the wall and fish around with the pinhole camera.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/15/21 11:51 p.m.

Allegedly covid related shipping delays are fine.  

So long as they're disclosed *before* checkout.  
Good job Turner Motorsports for having all items 'in stock, ready to ship next day' on the 5th and not shipping until the 15th.  

So far FCP Euro has been the only euro-centric site I've worked with that *hasn't* messed around.  
(Shout out to bimmerworld with an attempted bait and switch on a promo.)

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/15/21 11:59 p.m.

Would you believe parking meters that only work via an App., no coins even possible?
Nice way to attempt to force everyone into the "Smartphone" lifestyle/slavery."
I found another answer, just avoid the tourist trap areas using them.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/16/21 12:04 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

Would you believe parking meters that only work via an App., no coins even possible?
Nice way to attempt to force everyone into the "Smartphone" lifestyle/slavery."
I found another answer, just avoid the tourist trap areas using them.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/21 12:27 a.m.

Really nice night. Cool, and low humidity. Should we open the windows? No. Some rotten shiny happy person decided to burn the wettest, nastiest berkeleying leaves they could find. Thanks, E36 M3head 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/21 12:30 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/16/21 1:47 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to RichardSIA :

Don't tempt me!
If I start there, where would it end?

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/21 5:26 a.m.

My company gets 10 to 15 parking tickets a year. Frequently while working for the city. I double them and add them to their invoice. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/16/21 7:18 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

They are extra fun when solar powered with snow on the cells,  or the display doesn't work when it's 25 below, but the Commisionaires still drive around writing parking tickets.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/16/21 8:11 a.m.
RichardSIA said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to RichardSIA :

Don't tempt me!
If I start there, where would it end?

Probably with a failure to communicate. 

Around here, all of those apps have a number you can call to pay over the phone. 

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/16/21 8:31 a.m.

Those smartphone apps are almost universally so terrible, too. I've paid on the web site, the app, via text, they're all bad. I love being able to pay without coins - the credit card slot meters were a huge step up - but man those apps are bad.

wae
wae UberDork
9/16/21 8:46 a.m.

Allergies were bad last night, so I tried a Benadryl.  Didn't touch it, so I succumbed to a second one.  It took me about two hours and four stops for naps to get from bed to the first cup of coffee this morning.  I feel like I'm trying to remotely pilot my body with about 120ms round-trip latency.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/16/21 9:00 a.m.

I just don't get posting in a thread just to E36 M3 on the discussion, especially here.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/21 10:03 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

End of the road.

Arm gets tired.

You get arrested. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/16/21 11:04 a.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

Those smartphone apps are almost universally so terrible, too. I've paid on the web site, the app, via text, they're all bad. I love being able to pay without coins - the credit card slot meters were a huge step up - but man those apps are bad.

Yup. I know about the phone numbers because I gave up on the apps. And it is so weird to me too, it should not be that complicated of an app. 

This is one of the reasons I stick with spothero when I park in Chicago, or else go where meters aren't necessary.

Honsch
Honsch Reader
9/16/21 11:09 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

And for those of us without cell phones and credit cards?  If you want me to pay for something you better accept cash.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/16/21 11:21 a.m.

"Legal tender for all debts, public and private".

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/16/21 11:27 a.m.

My new work shoes hurt my feet when I walk in them.  Guess its a good thing I'm chained to a desk.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/16/21 11:42 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

"Legal tender for all debts, public and private".

Right, but this isn't a debt. You're paying in advance. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/16/21 11:43 a.m.
mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/16/21 11:44 a.m.
Honsch said:

In reply to mtn :

And for those of us without cell phones and credit cards?  If you want me to pay for something you better accept cash.

That is probably about 0.0001% of the driving population. EDIT: At least in areas where there are parking meters. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/16/21 11:56 a.m.
Honsch said:

In reply to mtn :

I take it as a warning in some areas. For example, in San Francisco in 2012 some of the meters were $7.50/hour, by the baseball stadium so you know it's going to be 3-4 hours plus for a game. Aside from the ridiculousness of costing more than minimum wage, who has rolls of quarters on them to just plug a meter for a couple hours? If they don't have a coin or dollar slot, odds are they're EXPENSIVE.

Back then there were a lot of text only meters. I liked those, and could even work with a flip phone. Now back here in PA, the land technology forgot, there are absurdly annoying parking kiosks that support a dozen apps that don't work, mixed with dollar slots, coin shots, and receipt ticket style. Once you get out of Pittsburgh it's mostly coin ops, for good and bad.

1 ... 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zcZqyB4t8nVMNEyzhxlH1MwKqOzQSJU7KL9In3D7ty5aXsyWwMZ76L7r1oXGNanM